Hiiiiii. It’s meeee. More Mondays. More quinoa!

Toasted Sesame Quinoa with Chicken I howsweeteats.com

I can’t stop. We just eat a ton of it and it’s so… summery. Well, when I’m not mixing it with bacon grease and crumbled bacon and stuffing it in portobellos and drizzling the whole shebang with balsamic glaze because I’ve totally done that. But not now. Now it’s summertime quinoa.

Summertime quinoa is something you eat after swimming like a fish and drinking lime-spritzed beer and eating broken-off hunks of a Trader Joe’s Pound Plus chocolate bar while watching the women’s gymnastics Olympic trials. And asking yourself that one serious pressing question.

HOW DO THEY STAY ON THE BALANCE BEAM LIKE THAT?!

Toasted Sesame Quinoa with Chicken I howsweeteats.com

It’s one of life’s greatest mysteries. I can assure you that learning to do so does not include eating a Trader Joe’s Pound Plus bar at 10PM. And I only know that because I was sort of a gymnast (let’s use that term VERY loosely) back in the day. It was all fun and good until the super mean Hungarian coach came and SAT on my backside in order to force me down to the floor in my straddle split. Awesome.

Huh. That was the end of THAT.

Toasted Sesame Quinoa with Chicken I howsweeteats.com

I’m also pretty sure that learning to flip over your head and land on a 4-inch surface without falling and then swinging from the uneven bars and stuff like that does not include taking a 5 hour nap on Saturday afternoon. Because I also did that and ughhhh… it was so wonderful. I haven’t napped in like, years. It’s going down as one of the best days of my life.

And yep, I did just google “how wide is a balance beam?”

Toasted Sesame Quinoa with Chicken I howsweeteats.com

Now there is something huge I must mention about this dish. I mean… HUGE.

This little bowl here – this quinoa mixed with some chicken and incredible sesame flavors – actually qualified as a full meal for my husband. Which is one of the rarest things on Earth. Now don’t get me wrong… he’d easily eat this as a side dish to some grilled chicken or steak or cheeseburgers. But to eat it alone, and let it just BE the entire meal?

I don’t know. But I’ll take it.

Toasted Sesame Quinoa with Chicken I howsweeteats.com

6 green onions, sliced

2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds

dressing

3 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil

2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce

Heat a saucepan over medium heat and add 1/2 tablespoon of sesame and olive oil. Add in garlic and quinoa and stir to coat, then toast for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in chicken stock and increase heat to high, bringing the quinoa to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover, cooking for 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed and quinoa can be fluffed with a fork. Whisk together dressing ingredients and set aside.

Add in chicken, green onions and dressing, tossing well to coat. Add in sesame seeds and toss once more. Serve!

Toasted Sesame Quinoa with Chicken I howsweeteats.com

Also take more chocolate because watching gymnastics is STRESSFUL.

92 Responses to “Toasted Sesame Quinoa with Chicken.”

Kelly — July 2, 2012 @ 7:00 am

This looks wonderful. And last night I was wondering the same thing about those gymnasts. Amazing really.

Ali @ Peaches and Football — July 2, 2012 @ 7:02 am

This looks fantastic. Is toasted sesame oil generally available in stores or is it something only carried in specialty stores? I would love to try this – HUGE fan of the one bowl meals.

I love watching gymnastics! I don’t know how they do anything but as a kid I broke my arm and was too scared to try it so I used to use old boards and “pretend” I was doing something on that. Probably pretty hilarious for anyone watching!

• Jessica — July 2nd, 2012 @ 7:03 am

I’m pretty sure you can find it in most grocery stores – I can find it in mine, which doesn’t always have everything. Trader Joe’s also has some!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — July 2, 2012 @ 7:16 am

Anything with toasted sesame oil wins my heart and soul. This is on the menu this week.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — July 2, 2012 @ 7:25 am

Oh yum!! Great start to the week!! Love quinoa recipes, keep them coming!! Oh and Happy Monday to you!!

Tricia White — July 2, 2012 @ 7:31 am

Just pulled out some quinoa recipes, but this one definitely trumps the others. Putting it on my list of dishes to try over the 4th. Your chocolate and gymnastics comment was wonderful. It is stressful, but I would eat the chocolate anyway…it helps me stick my landing!

Ali @ Gimme Some Oven — July 2, 2012 @ 7:33 am

Mmmm…sesame oil is my favorite. This looks great. And holy moly — those girls have some crazy talent to be able to stay on that beam! (Seriously — whoever invented that as a sport?!?)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — July 2, 2012 @ 7:41 am

This looks lovely – definitely a one-dish meal!

Kathryn — July 2, 2012 @ 8:02 am

Ooh this sounds really tasty!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — July 2, 2012 @ 9:00 am

Cooking with sesame oil is the way to go.. it gives your dish such a wonderful, unique flavor! Love the combo of quinoa + chix + sesame here Jessica! Nice light, healthy meal to balance out all of the bacon-chocolate-donuts I’m still drooling over!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — July 2, 2012 @ 9:05 am

Oooh, I love stuff that’s healthy but still looks totally satisfying. This looks so good!

Also, I had to quit gymnastics when I was 5, because I intentionally kicked my teacher in the face when she tried to make me do something that probably involved being upside down. My future spawn are going to be nightmares. I love watching Olympic gymnastics though!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — July 2, 2012 @ 9:39 am

OMG! This stuff looks so incredible and I am so seriously addicted to quinoa now it’s not even funny!! It’s just so darn good for you!
    OUCH!! Yeah, if I had had a mean Hungarian coach sit on my back while doing a split I would have quit, too. Some people are just STUPID!!
    Enjoy your week, girl and stay cool!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — July 2, 2012 @ 9:46 am

UM, did you watch the girls last night? I was so sweaty. When they land I’m like, OMG I HOPE HER KNEECAPS DON’T EXPLODE.

Give me a bowl of this.

ellenbcookery — July 2, 2012 @ 9:55 am

Wow! This looks so appetizing! I can’t wait to try making it myself!

Nancy @ CouponClippingCook — July 2, 2012 @ 10:03 am

Such a pretty dish and healthy too.

Ashley@BakerbyNature — July 2, 2012 @ 10:06 am

This looks amazing, Jessica!! And one bowl summer meals are gifts from the heavens!!

Ashley — July 2, 2012 @ 10:11 am

Gymnastics is my faaaaaaaaaaavorite!!!! And so is quinoa!

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids — July 2, 2012 @ 10:15 am

I could totally use a big bowlful of this right now. Yummy!

Divya @ Eat.Teach.Blog. — July 2, 2012 @ 10:19 am

Basically drooling right now. Yum.

Lauren — July 2, 2012 @ 10:22 am

Love the flavors in here! And I took gymnastics and thought that to myself ALL THE TIME. “How the eff do I stay up here?”

Christin — July 2, 2012 @ 10:23 am

This seriously looks amazing! Will be making this for sure!!!

Cookin' Canuck — July 2, 2012 @ 10:27 am

I could eat this for lunch today…and then again tomorrow…and the next day. Everything about this screams, “Eat me!” And the balance beam thing…I can barely watch it makes me so nervous.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — July 2, 2012 @ 10:34 am

LOL my parents used to have me in gymnastics too, at the age of 4 I think. That didn’t last long- I’m about as flexible as a wooden plank and before I knew it, they had me on the soccer field which was a much better fit. Needless to say, I’ll never be an Olympic gymnast, but I think you and I would do well at Olympic quinoa eating if they ever make it a sport. ;)

Lisa | With Style and Grace — July 2, 2012 @ 10:44 am

this is totally my kind of meal [pre/post pregoo]!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — July 2, 2012 @ 10:51 am

Watching everyone gearing up for the Olympics is tons of fun…and gymnastics has always been one of my absolute favorite Olympic sports to watch! Your qunioa recipe looks delicious – I love all the sweet/sour/nutty flavors. Perfect bowl of yum right there!

Monique @ Ambitious Kitchen — July 2, 2012 @ 10:57 am

I love your bowls. Annnddd I love quinoa. Seriously, I put it in everything–even my pancakes. It’s quite lovely and filling! Thanks for sharing.

naomi — July 2, 2012 @ 11:03 am

OMG-that would be the end of it for me too. That’s a big no to a Hungarain or anyone sitting me on me to force the splits on me.

As usual-lovely dish. I love how you remind me to eat healthy between the sugar, butter, cream, bacon and then again between sugar, butter, cream, bacon – you know what I mean. :)

allie@sweetpotatobites.com — July 2, 2012 @ 11:20 am

watching the gymnastics is stressful! chocolate is definitely needed when watching.

love this recipe – and love anything with sesame seeds!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — July 2, 2012 @ 11:37 am

gymnastics is CRAZY – i remember trying to balance on that stupid beam just walking and gave up shortly after that. no thank you!

Cait's Plate — July 2, 2012 @ 11:40 am

This looks seriously good. Green onions were such a good call in this!

Brooke — July 2, 2012 @ 11:41 am

Wow! That looks so good! I watched the gymnastics last night too!my cousin is a gymnast and so it make watching it do stressful!! Chocolate helps quite well.

Madeleine @ Teenie Baker — July 2, 2012 @ 12:06 pm

Ahhhh this looks amazing! We can’t wait for the olympics either. Gymnastics is one of my faves.

Shannon @ A Fork In Each Hand — July 2, 2012 @ 12:31 pm

I’m obsessed with quinoa and the Olympic trials so I’m right there with ya!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — July 2, 2012 @ 12:47 pm

Great looking salad and adorable bowls!

And balance beams…I know….what, 3 or 4 inches wide? Crazy how they stay on!!

Cassie — July 2, 2012 @ 12:53 pm

This is my favorite kind of weeknight meal. I adore sesame oil

Moni Meals — July 2, 2012 @ 1:00 pm

What a cool twist on this Jessica, sounds really delightful. :-)

Gina — July 2, 2012 @ 1:42 pm

Yum! Bookmarking this recipe…I’ve been on the hunt for new grain recipes for summer!

Gymnastics is my favorite too, although I was DEVASTATED when Nastia fell off the uneven bars:(

dervla @ The Curator — July 2, 2012 @ 3:13 pm

I’m trying to work more quinoa into our diet, this might do it. thanks!

Vicky — July 2, 2012 @ 3:33 pm

This sounds amazing! I recently tried quinoa for the first time and completely fell in love with it! Love the addition of asian flavors in this recipe –I’ve got to try this!

Katie — July 2, 2012 @ 4:05 pm

Seriously. That balance beam. I’m in awe.

I’m also putting this on the menu. Yum city.

Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips — July 2, 2012 @ 6:11 pm

I love the sound of this! And I was watching gymnastics eating a large bowl of ice cream, followed by four of these: http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/2012/07/01/peanut-butter-cups-for-grown-ups-or-kids-too-firstonthefirst/

Ugh!

Krissys Creations — July 2, 2012 @ 9:28 pm

So since I’ve been pregnant I’ve been totally off Quinoa. But your recipes really want me to get back on it :)

Quiche-ing Queen — July 2, 2012 @ 9:35 pm

This looks so delicious.

Brandi — July 3, 2012 @ 12:30 am

Yum! Just made for dinner tonight and was a definite hit. We added red rooster sauce to give it some heat. Definitely a great summer meal! Thanks!

megan — July 3, 2012 @ 7:53 am

I admit…I pin and log most of your recipes and end up keeping them as eye candy, but, THIS ONE!!! THIS ONE is gettin’ made…no doubt!!! YUMMMMMM!

Jessica — July 3, 2012 @ 9:21 am

I was in gymnastics for like .25 seconds. Once I realized I was like, a foot taller than everyone else I starting thinking I might meet my demise on the uneven bars and bailed.

Anya — July 3, 2012 @ 10:17 am

I made this last night, it was really yummy. I made a bowl with chicken for my fiance, and I used mushrooms in mine (I’m a veggie), both were delicious. So if anyone else reading this is veg, use mushrooms in place of chicken, it goes beautifully! Great recipe, will make it again for sure!

Tracy {Pale Yellow} — July 3, 2012 @ 11:28 am

I love the Olympics! I still can get over the girl face planting into the mats from the uneven bars, crazy!! Great looking quinoa!

Colette — July 3, 2012 @ 11:34 am

That’s for dinner TONIGHT!

Colette — July 3, 2012 @ 11:35 am

PS-I’m with ya on the chocolate. Doctor’s orders!

Cara — July 3, 2012 @ 2:57 pm

That might just be my perfect meal! Please don’t stop with the quinoa!

1. Pingback: Tuesday Things. | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Oh My Heat : RunnerNurse.com

3. Pingback: scallion-cilantro quinoa with pulled chicken | j'adore you more !

4. Pingback: Hemp Mushroom Chicken Quinoa « Insatiably Healthy