1. Thursday night, after a week of indulging in nightly s’mores, wine, mojitos, tacos at midnight on Wednesday and enormous breakfasts, I went to dinner with one of my great friends and had this SPIKED chocolate covered pretzel milkshake. Clearly, I needed it.

2. I’m still in a boozy mood. Quite frankly, I’d like to get drunk. These popsicles and floats are not helping.

3. My favorite face baby started walking. Which is awesome, but I secretly and selfishly think it sucks because I can’t cuddle him to pieces without him squirming like a fish. Annnnd we are eating tacos together tonight. (Which I obviously need.) Annnnd I’m obsessed with these photo contests his uncle started. Heh.

4. The herbs. They are all pretty much dead. I even went as far to cancel out my organic soil and compost by covering them in Miracle Grow. THAT DIDN’T EVEN WORK. Plants hate me.

5. Oh. Maybe it’s because I tend to hate them? Ooops.

6. Real food: this banana coconut cake and these ice cream cookie dough brownies. Just stop it right now.

7. I can hardly contain my excitement (like to the point of possibly wetting myself) because this weekend we leave for Northern Michigan, aka my favorite place in the universe! Which means I will post an obnoxious amount of pictures on facebook and instagram, and will probably blog life-things daily. Total overkill. I’m also going to eat a TON of ice cream.

8. My husband is probably 23 characters in to a text message reading “did you really just say ‘wet yourself’ on your blog? That’s so unprofessional Jess.”

9. I scrubbed my kitchen floor on Sunday. Like, down-on-the-knees-with-a-sponge kind of scrubbing. No mop, no swiffer, no contraption to do it for me. And do you know what I decided? Scrubbing the kitchen floor makes me feel like I’m going to go into labor, even though I’m not pregnant. Like I actually FEEL like I’m going to birth a child. I’m chocking it up to my mom and grandma always telling someone who is past their due date to scrub the kitchen floor. It’s amazing what children pick up.

10. New obsession: the thought catalog blog. It’s like they are inside my freaking head. I keep trying to link one of my favorite posts but every one is my favorite. It’s like trying to choose my favorite movie or James Taylor song or pair of shoes or ice cream flavor.  So just go read them all and be like OMG… How are you in my brain?!

11. If you’re following me on pinterest, I apologize for the severe pinning binge you’ve witnessed since last Thursday. But you know how I am.

12. How much of an a-hole would it make me if I were to throw a gigantic 30th birthday party for… myself? I swear I’m not that kind of girl, but oh wait – apparently I am. Obviously no gifts allowed. Just partying. Be honest. How much?

13. This must be what heaven looks like. Let’s live there.

101 Responses to “Tuesday Things.”

Sandy — July 18, 2012 @ 6:46 am

What is your favorite place in Northern Michigan? I am so ready for a break from the heat of the midwest this summer. Ironically as I read your post about scrubbing the kitchen floor I remembered that I did scrub the kitchen floor on my hands and knees while I was in labor with child #2 who was born 24 years ago TODAY!!! I wanted the house to be clean when I came home from the hospital. :)

• Jessica — July 18th, 2012 @ 7:20 am

we go to Boyne City and stay on the lake – it’s more so my favorite place because my great grandparents lived there, my whole family spent all of their summers there and it’s just very nostalgic.

M. Vivian — July 18, 2012 @ 7:14 am

I threw a 30th b-day for myself… I hope that doesn’t make me an a*hole! I rented a limo and invited my bestest buds to go bar hopping for the night… I figured then they would get home safe, right? Def not because I wanted to ride around in a limo for the night… it was for them, not me. I’d been planning it since I was 26 and found out my 30th was going to be on a Saturday. And really… 30 is a big DEAL! I didn’t want to do something just so-so… my twenties were not the best years, so this was a whole new start! And I will always remember it :)

Erin — July 18, 2012 @ 8:07 am

Ok so I was reading the comments and noticed that you are heading to BC! I teach there but live in Petoskey. It is HOTT up here this summer do being on the lake is the thing to do. Do you guys ever hit up Stroll the Streets?

• Jessica — July 18th, 2012 @ 9:07 pm

Love Petosky! And yes… we love stroll the streets! We will be there. :)

Mary Ronsman — July 18, 2012 @ 8:34 am

Jess,

Go ahead and make your birthday plans and enjoy!! You deserve it, girl! So, you’re going to Northern Michigan? I grew up there and loved the beauty of the whole area. I lived in the Menominee, MI area for most of my life, it’s right on the MI/WI border. I miss crossing the border and the beauty of the blue waters just minutes away from any location there. So, enjoy your vacation to Yuper-land, make sure you have at least one of those Pasties and make sure you can speak the Yuper dialogue, ya-eh.

Rachel — July 18, 2012 @ 8:39 am

my boyfriend is from Traverse City, and we go every summer. His grandfather built a cottage on the lake in the Ludington area, so we spend time there too. And I agree, I LOVE it. We’re headed up there August 1, and I can hardly wait.

Joanna — July 18, 2012 @ 8:59 am

Throw yourself a badass party girl- you know no one else will do it as well as you will! : )

Deb — July 18, 2012 @ 9:01 am

So TELL!!! I was looking forward to the particulars about the spiked chocolate prezel milkshake!! You can be such a tease sometimes. (probalby not rocket science — chocolate milkshake; dump some pretzels on top; blah blah. I just want to know what you spiked it with I guess)

• Jessica — July 18th, 2012 @ 9:06 pm

It was spiked with rum – I think spiced rum?

Kim in MD — July 18, 2012 @ 9:08 am

Have fun on vacation! Oh- and TOTALLY throw yourself a 30th party, Jessica!

megan — July 18, 2012 @ 9:19 am

You know, I may just have to casually travel up to Northern Michigan to find you…I’ll be the one with 4 kids in tow, coffee in hand and a whole lot of “wait till you meet Jess…we’re like best friends…I know we’ll find her in ONE of these ice cream shops…come on, HURRY!!!!” coming out of my mouth :) (Okay, I don’t really travel with my 4 kids unless I have to, but knowing you are only a couple hours away will make me happy… :))!

…and I also just planned my 40th…didn’t go that well…let someone else do it (but give every detail you want)…

…AND, I pinned that cake too…unfortunately, AFTER my 40th :( I NEED that cake!!!

Have a great Vaca ! I look forward to the posts!

Jennifer — July 18, 2012 @ 9:42 am

Of course you can throw a party for your 30th birthday! People will want to celebrate YOU!

Katie — July 18, 2012 @ 11:04 am

So jealous you are going to Northern MI! My favorite place too! Assuming you have probably been to Tom’s Mom’s cookies in Harbor Springs? Also, if you go to Petoskey, you should check out Papa Lou’s. Some of the best pizza around (best=fattiest, a ton of the ‘dressing’ is homemade ranch instead of tomato sauce). omg now i want some.

• Jessica — July 18th, 2012 @ 9:04 pm

Yes yes!!

Linda — July 18, 2012 @ 11:53 am

Its SO ok to have your own party!! This way it can be everything you want it to be! (ok, maybe Brad Pitt wont be there with a big gift bow on him) Enjoy your Michigan trip, thats my hometown and i too cant wait to get up north (Glen Arbor) next week!!

Jenny — July 18, 2012 @ 11:54 am

Hi Jessica! I know you have mentioned going to Boyne City before so I’m not sure if that’s where you’re going but you MUST go to Red Mesa and have a sour cherry margarita if it is! I go up there almost every weekend and it’s my favorite drink in the world!

• Jessica — July 18th, 2012 @ 9:03 pm

Yes! We stay in Boyne and live for Red Mesa. Usually hit it 3-4 times… ha!

• Jenny — July 19th, 2012 @ 10:56 am

Cafe Sante is amazing too! Owned by the same people as Red Mesa and right on the water! Great drink list and pizzas :-)

Cassandra Early — July 18, 2012 @ 12:27 pm

Hey—- Come to Mackinac Island, the best place !!!!! Love it here. So much to do or do nothing. I spend my non working time, just staring at the Bridge or the Lake. Oh and in between, cook, clean and yard work. But it is beautiful, Oh and if you come- bring that tray with the some more fixins with you. I will pull up a tree truck for you to sit on by the fire.

• Jessica — July 18th, 2012 @ 9:03 pm

We love Mackinac! My parents actually honeymooned there at the Grand Hotel. :)

Samantha — July 18, 2012 @ 1:15 pm

After seeing that milkshake, it totally reminded me of a recipe I just found in my new-to-me cooking light cookbook. It’s called “Strawberry dequirie frozen pie.” I’m counting it as something somewhat-healthy and not horribly bad for you since it’s in the ‘cooking light’ cookbook. I seriously think you’d like it, there’s actual alcohol in the pie!!!!

Samantha — July 18, 2012 @ 1:17 pm

Also, have fun here in Michigan. It’s been INSANELY hot!!!! Like yesterday it hit a new heat record of 103 degrees and after the humidty it said that it actually felt like 110, which I don’t doubt by any means. The moment you stepped outside, the heat just sucked the life out of you.

Olivia — July 18, 2012 @ 1:33 pm

Any chance you plan on recreating that spiked milkshake for your blog? It sounds like heaven!

I just spent a few days up in Northern Michigan, specifically Petoskey. It is without a doubt one of my favorite places on this earth. Can’t go wrong with spending time on a lake and drinking a glass of wine on a balcony. You MUST go to The Fish in the middle of nowhere, north of Harbor Springs. Their freshly caught Walleye is to die for and their Calm Chowder has bacon in it…

• Jessica — July 18th, 2012 @ 9:02 pm

I think I’ve been to the fish… is it owned by the same people as red mesa??

• Olivia — July 18th, 2012 @ 9:35 pm

That I am not sure of. I know the owner was a partner/co-owner of another restaurant in Harbor Springs but then branched off to do his own thing. Props to him for that!

Sharyn Dimmick — July 18, 2012 @ 1:59 pm

That is one glorious sunset photo. Thank you.

Margaret — July 18, 2012 @ 2:23 pm

Yayyyy Michigan! My dad lives approx. 1 mile from Lake Michigan and I wish I could just stay up there ALL summer long. Hope you have a great trip, and hope the weather cools off here so that you can enjoy wearing hoodies by a campfire (best.ever).

The Mommy — July 18, 2012 @ 2:59 pm

Well, obviously if you combined 12 and 13 you wouldn’t be an a-hole at all but the best hostess ever.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — July 18, 2012 @ 4:46 pm

Throw yourself a giant birthday party – you deserve it. And no wetting yourself mmk :)

jamie — July 18, 2012 @ 5:06 pm

i’ve thrown a birthday party for myself the past 7 years and HIGHLY recommend it. you won’t be disappointed and will have a great time.

Nikki — July 18, 2012 @ 11:53 pm

I have a wedding in Petoskey (Bay Harbor) this Saturday, right on the beach. Maybe I’ll see you there!!! Isn’t Northern Michigan just beautiful……

• Jessica — July 19th, 2012 @ 7:01 am

OMGGGG how fun! We always love to sit on the patio with drinks and watch the weddings take place!

raeann — July 19, 2012 @ 3:12 pm

why are you concerned with throwing a party for yourself? i do it… every… year! well, sometimes i send an evite under the guise that it’s sent from the hus-b, but it’s not. aren’t i sneaky?

30′s a big’un, so go crazy. if you need invites, i’m your gal ;)

Wench — July 22, 2012 @ 10:53 pm

So seriously, if throwing yourself a huge 30th birthday party makes you an asshole, then crown me as your freaking queen. For my 30th, we rented a house in Maine, on the water, that had a hot tub. For the weekend. And had our friends come up for the weekend. We drank, ate, and had 9 people in a 4-person hot tub. It was A-MAZING.

Amazing enough we’re thinking of doing it again for my 35th. And by we, I mean “everyone who came to the party”. Seriously. Throw the party. It will be awesome.