Summer on a plate. That’s what we should call this.

BBQ Spiced Salmon with Pineapple Jalapeño Salsa I howsweeteats.com

It’s just so… summery. It’s like taking a bigfat bite out of summer. A bigfat one.

BBQ Spiced Salmon with Pineapple Jalapeño Salsa I howsweeteats.com

We’ve been eating a lot of salmon… well, okay, no more than we usually do but I like to be dramatic… but it’s weird because it’s Shark Week. You know, speaking of taking bigfat bites out of things. And we keep watching all this stuff about sharks because I’m three parts obsessed and one part terrified (or definitely three parts terrified and one part obsessed), and for some reason I relate sharks to salmon. Maybe because they are both in the sea? Who knows. I’m a wacko.

BBQ Spiced Salmon with Pineapple Jalapeño Salsa I howsweeteats.com

But as we were eating salmon and simultaneously watching these rubbery creatures devour other much cuter rubbery creatures and reading this hilarious shark week post on thought catalog, I thought about how I am seriously convinced that any body of water holds a shark. Like lakes, rivers, streams… heck, I’m halfway afraid to go in a swimming pool by myself and close my eyes because I think a shark is magically going to appear and chew my legs off. It’s sort of like how I’m so afraid to hang my leg out of the side of the bed in the middle of the night, like out from under the covers, because I can just FEEL something coming up to bite it off.

Should I be committed?

BBQ Spiced Salmon with Pineapple Jalapeño Salsa I howsweeteats.com

Anyway… I’m savoring every single moment of summer, even sharks and their entire goofy week. Even though yes, I’m craving fall spices and autumn just a tiny bit (it is my favorite season after all) and on Saturday morning, when it was 59 degrees outside and we took an early walk and it totally SMELLED like Fall and was lovely… I don’t want to see a lick of pumpkin for at least a month. Don’t want to hear about it. Don’t want to eat it. Don’t want to buy it. As soon as I finish eating grilled corn every second of every day, we can move on to that stuff. Let’s live up it, summer!

BBQ Spiced Salmon with Pineapple Jalapeño Salsa I howsweeteats.com

So eat some of this.

The salmon takes on lots of our favorite BBQ flavor and is perfectly crispy. Then topped with some bright and fresh sweetness and even a little spicy kick… we just couldn’t stop eating it. Which I guess is better than, say… not being able to stop eating ice cream. But I have no idea what that’s all about.

BBQ Spiced Salmon with Pineapple Jalapeño Salsa I howsweeteats.com

BBQ Spiced Salmon

serves 2-4

1.5 pounds fresh salmon

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika

1/2 tablespoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon chili powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Preheat the broiler on your oven to the highest setting, moving the oven rack to just underneath the broiler.

In a bowl, mix spices, salt and pepper together until throughly combined. Rub spices over salmon (I actually just did one side because I tend to buy salmon that has skin on, so feel free to spread it out if your salmon is skinless.) evenly and place on a non-stick baking sheet or broiler pan. Broil for 6-8 minutes (for fish that is about one inch thick), turning once if desired. I actually prefer not to flip my salmon, as we love the crispy crust that one side gets. Serve immediately and top with pineapple salsa.

Pineapple Jalapeño Salsa

1 1/2 cups pineapple chunks, cut into tiny cubes

1/2 jalapeño, seeded and chopped

1/4 red onion, finely chopped

3 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

the juice of one lime

Combine all ingredients together and toss. Let sit for 30-60 minutes before serving if possible.

BBQ Spiced Salmon with Pineapple Jalapeño Salsa I howsweeteats.com

This is really delicious over pasta with boatloads of butter… trust me I tried it.

98 Responses to “BBQ Spiced Salmon with Pineapple Jalapeño Salsa.”

Ali @ Peaches and Football — August 15, 2012 @ 6:55 am

I wish I liked salmon because the colors on this look beautiful. It looks like it would taste amazing – I bet I could do some subbing for chicken

tania@mykitchenstories.com.au — August 15, 2012 @ 7:08 am

How very lovely is your summery shark week salmon?. Salmon loves pineapple and my……. Jalapeno I love you ….delicious idea

alyssa - fashion fitness foodie — August 15, 2012 @ 7:08 am

Its a problem that every morning when you post something at 7am I NEED to go to the store immediately to make that exact item tonight.

• Jessica — August 15th, 2012 @ 3:10 pm

I really love that problem!!

Kevin — August 15, 2012 @ 7:08 am

Have you ever tried smoking or grilling your salmon? Talk about screaming summertime! We have two great recipes on our Site. I love your addition of the pineapple salsa. We make salmon a lot and I will have to try it next time!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — August 15, 2012 @ 7:15 am

Amazing! I never made salmon at home only because my family doesn’t like it, but having it spiced style, how could they not like it? The salsa looks mighty delish!!

Erin — August 15, 2012 @ 7:16 am

UM so thanks for making the decision of what I am going to be making for dinner tonight! I can’t even take how delicious this looks, extra butter will be added though :)

Ashley - bakerbynature — August 15, 2012 @ 7:20 am

I’ve never been too crazy about salmon, but with a salsa like that, and boatloads of butter, I think this could make me a fan!

Annie @ What's Annie Making? — August 15, 2012 @ 7:37 am

This looks awesome! I’m all for keeping summer around as long as possible, just not the 100 degree heat. Ick!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — August 15, 2012 @ 7:38 am

I must eat this every day for the next two months so as to stave off the end of summer. And because this looks DELICIOUS.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — August 15, 2012 @ 8:04 am

Um woowwwwww! Gorgeous! It’s my birthday today and if I weren’t going out for dinner and ordering salmon, I’d definitely be making this. Maybe I’ll make it tomorrow instead!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — August 15, 2012 @ 8:04 am

Gorgeous! I’m not much of a fish eater, but will get salmon on occasion so that I can at least say we’re eating our Omega’s, but after purchasing a bad piece last week, it scared me away from buying it for a while. :-/
    Don’t want to see pumpkins for a while and still enjoy the last bit of summer? I hear ya, and I was EXTREMELY BUMMED to hear yesterday that Ghirardelli’s Peppermint Bark is now “officially” available for the holiday season on Amazon.com. WWAAYY toooooooo early!!

Katie — August 15, 2012 @ 8:19 am

Always on the lookout for a good salmon rub. This seems like it’ll do the trick! Definitely trying this!

Kim in MD — August 15, 2012 @ 8:25 am

That does look like summer on a plate! Delicious- and it’s going to be dinner tonight! I am totally engrossed in Shark Week (as I am every year). I am so fascinated by sharks and yet I am scared to death of them!

I feel the same way about the end of summer (and the pumpkins). I’m looking forward to Fall and the cooler weather (it’s my favorite season, too), but I’m going to enjoy the end of summer tomatoes and corn as long as possible!

Ali @ Gimme Some Oven — August 15, 2012 @ 8:42 am

That rub looks amazing!!! Definitely some of the best ingredients of summer! :)

Meg @ Peaches and Cake — August 15, 2012 @ 8:43 am

This looks awesome! You must make this so early in the day the light looks great hope it was still good for dinner at night!

Amy W — August 15, 2012 @ 8:44 am

Looks great!! I guess it’s a good thing I moved into my boyfriend’s parents house (while waiting for my house) because at least there is one other person I can share this with! (ie. not my boyfriend who despises fish).

I’m with you on fall. Best season ever. I’m not ready for it yet though!!

Also, I get ridiculously scared in the shower because I always think something is going tip attack me through the shower curtain or wait for me to open it. Truth.

• Jessica — August 15th, 2012 @ 3:10 pm

OH totally. I’m scared to death to close my eyes in the shower. And when I wash my face.

Katie — August 15, 2012 @ 9:20 am

How have I never put bbq and salmon together?! Fixing that immediately.

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — August 15, 2012 @ 9:35 am

Oh Momma! That DOES look like summer on a plate. I love the color of the spiced up salmon.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — August 15, 2012 @ 9:40 am

your salmon is perfect but what I really want is that salsa! mmmmm!!!

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — August 15, 2012 @ 10:14 am

My two older sisters made me watch Jaws when I was 5 years old. Now I hate lakes, rivers, and the ocean because I don’t know what is swimming next me.

joelle (on a pink typewriter) — August 15, 2012 @ 10:22 am

This salsa looks LEGIT.

sally @ sallys baking addiction — August 15, 2012 @ 10:24 am

1) LOVE all of your fruity salsas this summer, Jessica! This one may be my favorite though. I love pineapple in my spicy quesadillas, so a jalapeno pineapple salsa sounds umm… to die for! 2) your salmon recipes make me drool. seriously obsessed with salmon 3) this may be creepy but I kinda wanna marry you b/c I also fell in love with your better than crack brownies this weekend. I’ve made them before, but my second batch was AMAZINGGGGGGG. They disappeared at the bbq I went to :)

• Jessica — August 15th, 2012 @ 3:08 pm

Those things are addicting. Glad they were a hit!

Colleen @ Culinary Colleen — August 15, 2012 @ 10:29 am

What a gorgeous piece of salmon!

The Meaning of Me — August 15, 2012 @ 11:16 am

You are killing me with the pineapple! (We LOVED your caramelized pineapple and chicken quesadillas.) This looks perfect. Over pasta with butter? Even better.

• Jessica — August 15th, 2012 @ 3:07 pm

So glad you liked the quesadillas! :)

Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen — August 15, 2012 @ 11:29 am

I am soooo with you when it comes to thinking sharks are everywhere…and in my opinion, they are!!! My husbands parent’s live right on the Albemarle sound in NC close to the Outer Banks, and they swear up and down that there are no sharks in the water b/c it’s “brackish”…um…hello?!?!? Bull sharks like “brackish” water. Then one day I saw something out of the corner of my eye and when I looked again I realized it was a school of dolphins!!! So, um…dolphins can be in the sound, but not sharks?!?!? Riiiiiight…also, have you seen this video?!? This happened in a creek behind someone’s beach rental in Myrtle Beach, SC. So, um yeah, I’d say your fear of sharks everywhere is completely valid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu4QsFX_KyQ

• Jessica — August 15th, 2012 @ 3:07 pm

WHAT. !!!

• Jessica — August 15th, 2012 @ 3:08 pm

Also the audio in that video is hilarious.

Jacqueline — August 15, 2012 @ 11:30 am

Perfect day to post this – I just bought salmon yesterday to make for tonight. YES!!!! I can’t wait.

Morgan — August 15, 2012 @ 11:35 am

I’m so making this tomorrow night!!

Lindsey — August 15, 2012 @ 12:06 pm

59 degrees?! I need to live where you are at… how about trying a low of 90! Ugh kill me. I walk outside in the morning and I am already sweating. Good ol’ AZ for you..

• Jessica — August 15th, 2012 @ 3:06 pm

Ha don’t worry… that was at like 6am. Then it went into the 90s.

Rachel's Cottage House — August 15, 2012 @ 12:32 pm

salmon is my favorite!!! i would eat this in a heartbeat!

Ali — August 15, 2012 @ 12:43 pm

This looks like something my Mom makes only punched up, will have to try this and pass it along to my Mumma. And I love Thought Catalog, such a great waste of time!!

lisa — August 15, 2012 @ 1:04 pm

Oh yum keep the salmon recipes coming! I’m going to make this on the grill and attempt to grill the romaine salad along with it.
    No pumpkins yet it’s still in the 90′s here!

• Jessica — August 15th, 2012 @ 3:05 pm

Do it! Grilled romaine is the best.

JENNA — August 15, 2012 @ 1:08 pm

you seriously know how to do salmon. this looks so mouth-watering good!

Kelly — August 15, 2012 @ 2:38 pm

Perfection! I love salmon. It is definitely one of my favorite fishes. I love the richness of it and how versatile it is with flavor profiles!

di — August 15, 2012 @ 2:39 pm

No broiler when temps outside are 95 degrees. But love to grill salmon or smoke it all the time. Living in the state of WA salmon is the main fish everywhere. Can’t wait to try this rub tomorrow — always great to change-up the flavor of salmon. Too bad my husband won’t eat pineapple, I’ll make it for me tho’. Can’t wait.

Eileen — August 15, 2012 @ 2:47 pm

Pineapple salsa, you say? I may have to make up a big batch of this and eat it on everything–not just fish! :)

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — August 15, 2012 @ 2:50 pm

So good. That pineapple salsa sounds like I need to make it right now and eat it on….well, everything.

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — August 15, 2012 @ 3:35 pm

this post was hilarious. I’m the same way with sharks – there’s nothing i’m more terrified of in this world and i refuse to put my feet in any body of water. haha

Emily — August 15, 2012 @ 4:24 pm

My roommate moved out and took all of our pots and pans. You’re killing me because ALL I WANT TO DO IS COOK! T-minus 10 days until I’m settled in a new apartment and have full-fledged cooking access again! :)

Angelyn @ Everyday Desserts — August 15, 2012 @ 5:20 pm

Ugh, this looks SO good!

Amy — August 15, 2012 @ 7:04 pm

Made this tonight for dinner. Delicious!! Thanks for another great recipe!

• Jessica — August 15th, 2012 @ 7:08 pm

So glad you liked it!

Slip — August 15, 2012 @ 7:52 pm

I made this tonight with mahi-mahi (I had some in the freezer) and it worked out well, though I’d love to try it on salmon. And I made extra pineapple salsa to snack on for later. Thanks for your recipe!

JulieD — August 15, 2012 @ 8:18 pm

Love this so much!! I might try this with Mahi like Laura up above…I so wish Curtis loved salmon as much as me.

Barb — August 15, 2012 @ 9:30 pm

We love salmon. Definately will be trying this version. Did you use fresh or canned pineapple?

luv what you do — August 15, 2012 @ 10:02 pm

I love salmon. This recipe looks absolutely amazing! I may have to pick up some salmon at Costco this weekend!

Cook LA — August 15, 2012 @ 10:46 pm

This looks really delicious. The pictures bring this to life!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — August 16, 2012 @ 10:23 am

I want that salsa! Like NOW! BBQ salmon is actually the only way my Hubs will eat fish. Need to try your spice mix.

Cupcake and Talk — August 16, 2012 @ 10:48 am

I am going to try this with Tilapia.
    I am with you on the leg hanging off the bed : )

Anne @ Webicurean — August 16, 2012 @ 11:10 am

This looks so good! I love salmon, but the hubby doesn’t like fish–I’ve been looking for a recipe to convert him–this may just do it as the other flavors are something he definitely likes!

Noemi — August 16, 2012 @ 11:51 am

Hahaha, I’m totally with you on the whole body of water + shark thing. I’m terrified of underwater creatures but I can’t help but watch Shark Week every year. I love/hate it. :D

idiosyncratic eye — August 16, 2012 @ 6:27 pm

That’s not summer but a summer _party_ on a plate. ;)

1. Pingback: Silence is not always golden |

2. Pingback: Simple Things: A through Z | Perfection Isn't Happy

3. Pingback: Bean Bytes #2

4. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday 20-08-12 | Real Fit Moms

5. Pingback: Some Like It Hot « Sugar Dish Me

6. Pingback: Tasting The Last of Summer + Healthy Tandoori Chicken Salad « sweat for sweets

7. Pingback: a new recipe for balance

8. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday 17-09-12 | Real Fit Moms

9. Pingback: » Some Like It Hot

10. Pingback: Sassy Salmon | healthyeatsntreats

11. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday 14-01-13 | Real Fit Moms

12. Pingback: No Place Like Kitchen » BBQ Spiced Salmon and Pineapple Salsa

13. Pingback: My Week in Pictures – Week 4 | Just One More Row…

14. Pingback: BBQ Spiced Salmon | Home Recipes Catalog

15. Pingback: BBQ Spiced Salmon with Pineapple Jalapeño Salsa | Better with Cake : Wine and Dine Deals