Want to know what I did last week??

Crazy Confetti Compost Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Ate this entire batch of cookies. By myself.

I wish I was exaggerating.

Crazy Confetti Compost Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Last Wednesday… when my husband was away, I had my dad over for dinner. My mom is in Florida and I knew we both would be hungry and if not prepared, would separately eat our way inside an ice cream pint and out of a bag of Dove Promises. I am my father’s daughter, and that is exactly why it would happen.

Plus, I also have this intense compulsion to cook food for people ALL THE TIME. I could not go a week without.

So I made us an awesome dinner complete with crispy salmon, grilled corn salad, brown jasmine coconut rice and a balsamic-glazed caprese salad.

And halfway through the day, I figured I may as well throw a dessert into the mix. Into the oven these cookies went. I stared down into this bowl wondering if it was real life. It was.

Crazy Confetti Compost Cookies I howsweeteats.com

I plated them in a giant pile, which sat on the counter when he walked through the door. He asked about them but… said he wouldn’t be eating any since he was having a healthy post-vacation week.

Um, what? What does this mean? I made us a healthy DINNER… so there would be room for cookies.

Well, what it means is that I had an entire batch of cookies to myself. And four more days alone.

I hoped that he might change his mind, that as we sat in the dining room eating second helpings of salmon and caramelized corn, with the cookie pile in full view, he’d decide that he just HAD to have a cookie. That he couldn’t live one single moment without a cookie, specifically THOSE cookies that were sitting on my counter. Because like I said… I’m my father’s daughter and I, uh… sort of act this way all the time.

But he didn’t change his mind. And he left cookieless. Which left me cookiefull. I mean… really cookiefull.

Crazy Confetti Compost Cookies I howsweeteats.com

I handled the overflow of cookies well… at first. That day, I taste-tested one or two. I had one (or two) again for dessert. But then… Olympic gymnastics happened. And even though I knew all the results beforehand (thanks ENTIRE WORLD… not), I found myself emotionally eating my way through Gabby’s routines well until midnight. Happy emotions, like tears-pouring-down-my-face-mid-medal-ceremony-which-requires-snacks happy. And then after my workout the next morning, I waited too long to eat and spied the cookies on the counter. And then I needed something sweet after lunch. And again… at dinner.

And then I figured I’d just save the rest of the cookies, because surely my brother or cousin or someone in my life, like maybe my invisible internet friends, would stop over, and maybe the cookies could even make it until my husband returned home on Saturday (um, seriously?). That was funny.

Let’s just say that more than a few of my meals last week contained a hard-boiled egg, peanut butter and cookies. And that’s it.

Not complaining. But I guess I just wrote about six paragraphs complaining, soooo….

These cookies… they are obviously called “compost” for a reason. They aren’t your everyday, OMG favorite chewy chocolate chip cookies, but they are exciting for a fun twist. And my favorite part about them is that I used salt and vinegar chips, aka the best chips on the planet. Oh how I can lose myself in a bag of salt and vinegar chips. And the sprinkles. Duh. Not sure I could live without those in my life. But you knew that already.

Crazy Confetti Compost Cookies I howsweeteats.com

3/4 cup chocolate chunks
1/2 cup crushed salted pretzels
1/3 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup chopped heath bar
1/3 cup peanut butter chips
1/3 cup assorted sprinkles
1/2 tablespoon coffee grounds (yes, actual grounds!)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and salt, then set aside.

In another bowl, whisk the cooled butter and sugars until they are combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and stir until mixed and smooth. Gradually add in dry ingredients and mix with a spoon until a dough forms – it will look crumbly at first, but it will come together. I even used my hands to help at one point. Fold in all of your add-in's here, using a spoon and also your hands to bring it together. I literally smashed the ingredients into the dough.

Roll dough into 1 1/2-inch balls and place on a nonstick baking sheet (I actually used this method of stacking the dough) about 2 inches apart. Bake for 9-12 minutes, or until the middles are just set. Don’t over bake! Let cool almost completely.

[recipe idea from the milk cookbook, recipe slightly adapted from giant rainbow cookies]

Crazy Confetti Compost Cookies I howsweeteats.com

I don’t even know how to eat a normal cookie now.

122 Responses to “Crazy Confetti Compost Cookies.”

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — August 7, 2012 @ 11:31 am

There is too much awesomeness in this cookie!!

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) — August 7, 2012 @ 11:35 am

I love soft cookies with tons of texture. MUST MAKE THESE IMMEDIATELY! And really, I’ll take any excuse to buy S&V chips… a little for me, a little for the cookies…

Catalina @ Cake with Love — August 7, 2012 @ 11:39 am

Uh I would be helpless near these cookies too, and will eat all of them in one day, not week!! Just the thought of salty chips combined with sprinkles makes me hungry now!!!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — August 7, 2012 @ 11:46 am

without a doubt, i’d happily eat all 18 cookies too. sweet + salty is the way to my heart. sprinkles are my crack and your giant rainbow cookie base has changed my life. love these. and love the way your mind works jessica. !!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — August 7, 2012 @ 11:55 am

the downside of food blogging: eating everything you make and then feeling reaaaaaaally sorry you did!

happens all the time!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — August 7, 2012 @ 12:04 pm

These ARE crazy! In a good way, of course. I have the same love relationship with rainbow sprinkles :)

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — August 7, 2012 @ 12:08 pm

Ohhh my gosh. These look like the best cookies EVER. I have a weakness for the sweet and salty combo, and those salt and vinegar chips added to a cookie sound amazing!

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — August 7, 2012 @ 12:14 pm

Wow these are the most compost-y cookies I’ve ever seen! So many ingredients but they all sound so fantastical. Who knew I would crave something called “compost” so badly?

Cookbook Queen — August 7, 2012 @ 12:20 pm

These cookies are SO not real life. Because if they were, my life would be made of MAGIC!!!

Love. (the cookies and you!!)

Liz @ Southern Charm — August 7, 2012 @ 12:37 pm

Um. I would eat all of these too. You are not alone ;)

Jaclyn — August 7, 2012 @ 1:00 pm

Those looks so good. I would have never thought to put chips in a cookie, but from your description it must be good.

Ashley Bee — August 7, 2012 @ 1:18 pm

These are so incredibly fun! Great job on them :)

Paper Moss — August 7, 2012 @ 1:18 pm

OMG these look AMAZING!!! With all those sprinkles they’d make a fun little birthday gift too!

Amarachi — August 7, 2012 @ 1:49 pm

Oh my god Jessica, I need these in my life. Plus I’m glad I’m not the only one who can and has eaten an entire batch of cookies.

Jackie @ Daydreamer — August 7, 2012 @ 2:08 pm

These look surprisingly delicious. I would have never thought to put chips and pretzels in cookies! Also, your writing style continues to get me every. single. time. I am always laughing my way through your posts!

Vicki @ WITK — August 7, 2012 @ 2:17 pm

Chips, pretzels and peanut butter chips? I would have eaten the entire batch too, no worries :)

Devon | The Food Bitch Blog — August 7, 2012 @ 2:40 pm

I’d give my right arm for one of these right now.

Cassie — August 7, 2012 @ 3:14 pm

I made the Milk Bar compost cookies in the spring (with salt & vinegar chips) and pretty much ate each one all by myself. Now I wan another batch.

Laura Dembowski — August 7, 2012 @ 3:58 pm

I am overwhelmed by the awesomeness of these cookies. I have made the Confetti Cookies before and they are by far the best cookies I’ve ever had, but these take them to a whole new level. How cool that you thought to mix them up like this?!

Samantha — August 7, 2012 @ 4:39 pm

I totally feel you on the salt and vinegar chips. I’m like crazy in love with them. I’m the only person in the house who will eat them, but that’s okay considering it’s a good excuse to eat the whole bag or else they will go bad–that’s what I tell myself at least.

Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut — August 7, 2012 @ 4:43 pm

I think the question is…how could you NOT eat the whole batch?! Whoa, these look beyond good, girl. :)

Phi — August 7, 2012 @ 7:21 pm

I’ve never wanted to eat compost in my life… until cookies! Your compost looks so colorful (my pantry is just full of nuts and grains).

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles — August 7, 2012 @ 9:22 pm

Yea, I could eat my way throw that batch of cookies too!

Although any suggestions for a different flavour of chips for those of us who aren’t salt and vinegar fans?

• Linzabeth — January 12th, 2014 @ 6:45 pm

I used Cape Cod waffle cut sea salt chips because I’m not into vinegar chips either. I liked them for a substitute because they’re still good and salty and have that awesome crispy texture.

luv what you do — August 7, 2012 @ 10:04 pm

I love this recipe! I always end up with a few sprinkles, a couple of chips, and leftover pretzels with no dip in my pantry so these will be great!

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — August 8, 2012 @ 12:07 am

Coffee grounds in a cookie – I’m WAY into it!

Anita — August 8, 2012 @ 10:24 am

Gosh Jessica, your’re wild this week with those cookies ! Saw a similar mix like yours on Pioneer Woman. She mixed it into vanilla ice cream ( or TD 0% Greek Yogurt ) and then put some of the mix on the bottom of a dixie cup. On goes the ice cream, in goes the popsicle stick. All back in the freezer. I don’t know if I’d be able to leave them in there long enough to freeze. I think your blog is great. I enjoy your writing and sense of humor. You are one of my very favorite blogs. You are so honest. Keep cooking !

Kelly — August 8, 2012 @ 10:41 am

These cookies look and sound amazing. I will definitely be trying them sometime soon!!

shelly (cookies and cups) — August 8, 2012 @ 10:53 am

Holy crap…salt and vinegar chips in a cookie?!? I feel like you have lost your mind, but in a totally cute headless way.
    Must try this now. NOW.

Nancy — August 8, 2012 @ 3:20 pm

I was gifted the momofuku milk bar cookbook and was crazy overwhelmed. Have you made a lot of recipes from it? Slash, where’s an apprehensive baker to start?

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — August 8, 2012 @ 8:22 pm

Those cookies are wild!

Jen — August 9, 2012 @ 4:36 am

Sprinkles IN a cookie… now that’s an idea I’m going to try :-)

Anna — August 9, 2012 @ 5:57 pm

There are no words for how good these are or how amazing they make your kitchen smell. I considered it a HUGE victory I only ate three last night during baking. My co-workers who they’re for have no idea what cookie insanity is headed their way.

Ali — August 9, 2012 @ 7:50 pm

What kind of chocolate chunks did you use for this?

Julie-Ann — August 12, 2012 @ 4:17 pm

Did a unicorn magically poop these out, they look delicious! it has that lovely rainbow delight to it.

Tamara Jones — August 12, 2012 @ 5:54 pm

Salt and vinegar chips – in a cookie? I thought I was adventurous in the kitchen, but you just won. I am not that brave!

Kristen — August 12, 2012 @ 6:44 pm

Oh my gawwdd i cannottt wait to make these. <3

Stacey! — August 13, 2012 @ 3:44 pm

I made these this weekend for a bachelorette party at the beach! I am nowhere near as fun and bold as you are, so I used regular potato chips, pretzels, mini chocolate chips, and tons of peanut butter chips and marshmallows. They were… beyond. You rule, man.

Kim — August 13, 2012 @ 6:04 pm

I made these today and they turned out wonderful! Although some of them came out wonky looking and not at all circular, they taste absolutely delicious and I cannot wait to share them with my friends. Such a wonderful recipe, thank you for sharing!

jessica — August 18, 2012 @ 1:06 pm

these look amazing! i think i would wrap these up in a pretty box all for myself and then hide it.

Wendy W — August 24, 2012 @ 11:07 pm

I made these last night with a couple tweaks around the compost items with things I had on hand like regular potato chips and cupcake Goldfish. They are so delicious. I took 1 1/2 dozen to work and they were gone by lunch. Took the rest to my nephews. I had to get them out of the house before I ate them all. Thanks so much for the wonderful recipe!

Victoria — September 14, 2012 @ 2:49 pm

I made these cookies sans the sprinkles, replaced the pb chips with butterscotch, and used browned butter. These are officially one of my favorite cookies of all time!! I know someone who ate them 3 or 4 days after I made them, and had been on a two day road trip and back!! Thank you so much for the recipe!

Mary — September 15, 2012 @ 1:57 pm

I dreamt of these cookies last night so now I HAVE to make them for a football party! I have a clarifying question, though, and it might sound stupid…do you use used coffee grounds for this, or dry? I would think used would be less potent, but it is called compost, so… :-)

Hannah — October 12, 2012 @ 3:11 am

These are suppppppppppper good. Sorry but that many p’s is necessary. It’s a bizarre combo that works. Mine didn’t spread so they were like little nuggets but still good.

Brianna — October 24, 2012 @ 9:26 pm

What kind of salt and vinegar chips did you use?

Joanna @ Running Places — November 18, 2012 @ 10:14 am

I’ve been to Milk Bar and actually wasn’t too impressed with the compost cookie… just not sweet enough! BUT these look better. Definitely going to give them a try!

PJ — December 11, 2012 @ 2:47 pm

I found this recipe last night. This has to be the BEST cookie recipe on the internet! A cookie that contains all my junk food cravings….. ummmm- Just printed it, going to town to buy some salt and vinegar chips….

Heaven is a compost cookie….

Brenda, Vanessa, Mari — December 23, 2012 @ 11:19 pm

awsome possum! we enjoyed your cookies =D

Diane — January 11, 2013 @ 11:07 pm

i’m the unofficial “cookie lady” at my job and i am so excited to make these for my coworkers! theyre in for a big suprise on monday!!! THANK YOU

Jaime — March 27, 2014 @ 9:21 am

Ok – can someone please tell me what these taste like and if they’d appeal to a crowd? I’m thinking of making them for a work event and I just don’t want people making weird faces!