Before we talk burgers, let me tell you what I’m doing.

Smoky Sweet Potato Burgers with Roasted Garlic Cream and Avocado I

I’m eating some blueberry yogurt pretzels (which are oh-so awesome… but would be even awesomer if they were really coated in yogurt and not white chocolate disguised as yogurt) and drinking a san pellgrino aranciata that is spiked with um… vodka, malibu and tequila. With those pretty perfectly square ice cubes.

I know. I just couldn’t decide! I just kept adding things to the soda until I got a taste that I liked. Mixologist I am not. Bad personal bartender I am.

Smoky Sweet Potato Burgers with Roasted Garlic Cream and Avocado I

But what is up with all of these flavors? Smoky sweet potato, roasted garlic and maple cream, avocado, then blueberry pretzels and this oddly concocted libation that I’m too embarrassed to name. Before you go claiming something craze balls like oh! you’re pregnant! (um no – vodkatequilarum what?) I think it’s just because my weekend was so.utterly.boring.

I mean, it was great, if you’re into that sort of thing that includes plastering yourself to the couch for so long that your body forms an identical indentation that’s semi-permanent, and ordering pizza Friday night which not only was dinner, but then also became lunch and then uh, dinner again on Saturday. Like the same pizza. Just microwaved. Not even warmed thoroughly in the oven. Oh no. I wasn’t even getting up long enough to preheat the oven and then throw the pizza in and blah blah blah. No way jose. I’d rather have my unequally microwaved-heated pizza (you know, so like the edge is so hot that you burn your mouth off, the bottom crust is now “gummy,” the middle is totally cold and the top crust is just hard as a rock?) on a paper plate and then re-faceplant into the cushions.

Smoky Sweet Potato Burgers with Roasted Garlic Cream and Avocado I

I wish I could be all “ohmygosh, it was so rainy and cozy all day Saturday and I just got so caught up in my book that I read then entire thing while sitting in my plush velour chair in my special corner of the room that I have all to myself”… but no. Nothing of the sort. I wore the same outfit and woke up at 9 and watched so much trash on TV that my brain nearly exploded. I didn’t even read the trillions of magazines I have to catch up on.

Smoky Sweet Potato Burgers with Roasted Garlic Cream and Avocado I

This would have been the perfect time to do those things that I “never have time for” such as fold a massive pile of laundry that is sitting smack dab in our living room floor (classy. want to come over?), reorganize our pantry, clean out the freezer, clean the bathrooms, scrub the floor, deconstruct the makings of my purse because it contains about six thousand small pieces of paper that I call “lists” along with random change, receipts and melted lip gloss, or reorganize every room in our house because we constantly complain about them. But no. We didn’t have time for that at all. We only had time for the couch.

Smoky Sweet Potato Burgers with Roasted Garlic Cream and Avocado I

Eh, but I did have time to make these burgers (I don’t even know HOW), and it was really only because I had planned on making my double bean burgers for meals this week and then realized I didn’t have double beans. No black beans to be found. But I did have a bunch of sweet potatoes so I mashed them all up and called them a burger. And topped them with some roasted garlic sauce and a dying avocado from the depths of my fridge. The key is to get the outsides really crispy and then just… well, eat them. It’s really quite simple.

Smoky Sweet Potato Burgers with Roasted Garlic Cream and Avocado I

Now don’t go getting all excited thinking that my husband ate these for dinner. Of course he didn’t. Well okay… he sort of did – he ate them as a side to some roasted chicken and dredged each forkful through a volcano of ketchup.

Welcome to my life.

Smoky Sweet Potato Burgers with Roasted Garlic Cream and Avocado I

Smoky Sweet Potato Burgers with Roasted Garlic Cream and Avocado

Yield: 4 burgers

Prep Time: 45 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 55 minutes

2 cups coarsely mashed sweet potatoes (or yams), about 2 large potatoes
2 bulbs of roasted garlic
1 cup cannellini benas (rinsed and drained if canned)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
1/3 cup oat flour (or all-purpose, wheat, etc)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon cumin
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1 avocado, sliced
2/3 cup plain greek yogurt or sour cream
1 teaspoon maple syrup
extra salt and pepper for seasoning yogurt/cream

4 whole wheat buns

To roast garlic, see this tutorial. I like to roast a few bulbs at once (like 4-5) to have for the week.

Pierce potatoes (I used 2 large) all over with a fork and place on a paper towel, setting in the microwave. Microwave for 5 minutes, then flip and cook for 5 minutes more. Remove, slice in half and let cool until you can scoop out the flesh.

In a large bowl, coarsely mash beans with a fork. Add in sweet potato and mash together, then add in spices, salt and pepper, minced garlic, egg, panko and flour. Mix together until combined, then place bowl in the fridge for 15-20 minutes. This helps form them into patties, but as a warning they are still somewhat messy.

While mixture is chilling, combine yogurt/sour cream with 2 bulbs (squeezed out) of roasted garlic cloves, maple syrup and a sprinkle of salt and pepper in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth then set aside until ready to use.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Remove mixture from fridge and form into 4 equal patties, then place in the skillet once hot. Since the mixture can be wet and messy, do not move until they are fully cooked and golden on one side! This takes about 5-6 minutes. Then, add more oil if needed (this really helps cook them) and flip burgers very gently. Cook for another 5-6 minutes. Toast buns if desired.

Assemble by topping burgers with roasted garlic cream and avocado! We also used caramelized red onion one night and it was delicious.

Smoky Sweet Potato Burgers with Roasted Garlic Cream and Avocado I

387 Responses to “Smoky Sweet Potato Burgers with Roasted Garlic Cream and Avocado.”

bakeca lecco — May 2, 2013 @ 2:08 am

looks horrible

• cat27 — September 3rd, 2013 @ 12:34 pm

It looks amazing!

• Diane Allen-Harkins — September 3rd, 2013 @ 1:11 pm

I agree it looks amazing, a
        nd saved a cow from being tortured.

Keri — May 9, 2013 @ 2:19 pm

Looks tasty!

Auna — May 14, 2013 @ 4:46 pm

HOLY MOLY I just made these for lunch and they were delicious! Such a great recipe. I substituted toasted bread for the bread crumbs, butter beans in place of the other beans and garlic powder instead of roasted garlic and it still came out wonderful! Thank you for posting this recipe. :)

Monica — May 20, 2013 @ 3:03 pm

How many cals in each? They look delicilous!

dw — June 11, 2013 @ 6:22 pm

The burger looks so good and this girl is hilarious!! I felt like I was reading my own thoughts!! ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE HUBBY SOAKING EACH BITE IN KETCHUP!

• Dan — October 31st, 2013 @ 12:25 am

If your husband is drenching food in ketchup… your food probably sucks. This is garbage. This “recipe” is nothing unique.

• Andrea — November 8th, 2013 @ 3:19 pm

or he just really likes ketchup…

• Mrs I — February 12th, 2014 @ 1:04 pm

Dude, that’s a pretty harsh comment for someone whose food only “probably” sucks. Also, I missed the part where she claimed she had revolutionised the food world. My bad.

I’ve been making this recipe for about a year now and my wife and I adore it. We eat it like it’s going out of style. You can make it vegan no problem. You can sub all sorts of sauces on top (our favourite is sriracha- mayonnaise) and it still tastes amazing. I haven’t commented on here before but this thoughtless comment made me incandescent with rage. Being a shitty cook like me and being able to make something as yummy and healthy as this is not easy, so I’m extremely grateful for this recipe and this blog.

So you know, if you don’t have an actual, helpful comment about the efficacy of this recipe, why don’t you just shut up? I seriously cannot even believe the effrontery of wandering onto someone’s blog just to be a dick. Get a hobby, and maybe a life.

[this was a much more profanity-laden post but I toned it down for y’all]

• Greg — October 25th, 2014 @ 11:33 am

Tour Guide: And now we come to the asshole exhibit, here seen in his natural habitat. We call him “Dan.” Don’t get too close. He bites!

Brenda — June 28, 2013 @ 4:07 pm

Could you use canned yams? Or sweet potatoes? This looks so good!! I am going to have to give it a try.

Pamela — July 11, 2013 @ 1:08 pm

These were delicious and well worth the extra prep time of roasting the spuds and garlic. The smoked paprika was a real flavor kicker! And that roasted garlic cream – to die for!! I’m going to try it on baked spuds and as a healthy veggie dip, as well.

Erin — July 11, 2013 @ 10:12 pm

I love these! I’ve made the burgers twice. They freeze perfectly. I also add crushed walnuts to the recipe for extra crunch. Then top it with a fried egg and mustard instead of the cream sauce and avocados.

• Rachel — October 19th, 2014 @ 12:02 am

Ooooooh a fried egg is a great idea!

Elizabeth — August 14, 2013 @ 11:05 pm

I made these tonight for the first time (just the “burgers” not the sauce) and my family LOVED them! They were so fast and easy and cheap and delicious! Thanks for the recipe. I think it’s destined to become a staple in our house!

Charlene — August 20, 2013 @ 8:32 pm

Any idea on calories?

carol — September 3, 2013 @ 10:58 am

I think they’d be good with BACON. haha I do!

• Kate — March 4th, 2015 @ 6:55 am

I made them with bacon, and it was sooo good! The sauce, the avacado, the caramelized onions, and the sweet potato are all PERFECT together!

Michele Carrion — September 3, 2013 @ 1:49 pm

These look delicious. they look so much better than a greasy meat burger. I cannot wait to try them. Thanks for the recipe.

Elizabeth — September 3, 2013 @ 2:19 pm

I’m going to try these, without the egg, and vegenaise instead of sour cream or yogurt. Yum. Thanks for the recipe!

cara lang — September 3, 2013 @ 7:25 pm

I’m excited–it looks so good!

Susan Alderman — September 3, 2013 @ 8:28 pm

That looks delicious! Thank you for not featuring the same boring old BBQ stuff!

Ellen O'Connor — September 3, 2013 @ 8:57 pm

Thank you VISA for publicizing the delicious food available without fish, flesh, or fowl. It is forward thinking of you to startle folks, a likely very successful campaign can be launched.

Kevin — September 3, 2013 @ 11:24 pm

That really looks good. Thanks for the vegetarian (and possibly vegan) shout out, Visa!

Judith — September 4, 2013 @ 1:31 am

This looks delicious! Thanks for a great recipe idea.

Aliyia — September 4, 2013 @ 5:54 pm

This burger was AWESOME!!! I need to go take a nap now! I’m stuffed!

April — September 30, 2013 @ 10:14 pm

Jackpot! Thanks for these lovely burgers – we ate two last night, and two again this evening. So good. I didn’t think they were too messy for veg burgers. AND, I think they may be even better reheated on the second day. They are on our rotation now! Thanks again!

TG — October 10, 2013 @ 12:28 am

Oh my goodness! Your blog is the story of my life! Too many similarities; so funny! Thank you greatly for letting me know I’m not alone! LOL!!

Courtney — October 19, 2013 @ 10:33 am

I have made these twice now and they are AMAZING!

Sarah McMullin — October 24, 2013 @ 6:26 pm
    Dan — October 31, 2013 @ 12:27 am

I’m amazed as to how the author found time between cleaning out her purse and making dinner. WOW you are amazing. Making food and cleaning up your own mess, How do you do it?!?!?!?!?!?

• Anon — July 6th, 2014 @ 1:52 pm

You’re a jerk

Olivia — October 31, 2013 @ 11:51 pm

My husband and I just finished making the vegan version of these- he is still raving about them! So glad I came across your post! We used an avocado cream from yesterday’s tacos, made the garlic cream with veganaise (although I’d recommend tofutti sour cream, were not huge fans of the veganaise) and an egg substitute. Topped with caramelized onions, these were perfect. Thanks again!!

Emily — December 17, 2013 @ 3:35 pm

I painfully added up the nutrition for this recipe for those who asked. I really liked the recipe and wanted to make sure it’s something healthy to add into my routine. A few things on my nutrition and recipe that I used that shouldn’t really impact your results much: 1) I used regular bread crumbs instead Panko, 2) I used butter beans instead of Cannellini beans, 3) I used whole wheat flour instead of oat flour, 4) I used the 80 calorie whole wheat buns (you may need to adjust if you use different buns), 5) I used light sour cream when you could chose sour cream/Greek yogurt. Everything else I followed exactly as she said. So here’s the nutrition for the entire recipe (note: this makes four burgers which includes 4 buns and all ingredients noted in the recipe above). Below that is the nutrition for one serving (1 burger). I tried to use reliable sources and most of them came up from the nutrition Google provides on the side of your search.

Total Recipe:

Protein: 13
    Vitamin A: 360%
    Vitamin C: 39%
    Calcium: 19%
    Iron: 19%

• Edan Gabay — January 9th, 2014 @ 2:41 pm

I haven’t calculated the nutritional values of this recipe yet. However, I’m sure the values you just posted are incorrect. You should check that you entered the right amounts into the calculator :)

Shannon — December 23, 2013 @ 7:29 pm

i really enjoyed these. I did not have smoked paprika so I used Hungarian Paprika and regular paprika. My husband as always said more heat! He loves hot food. So I will add a little more Hungarian Paprika to the rest of the batch. Thanks so much for posting, we could eat them all of the time and roasted garlic sauce was amazing!

Maureen — January 7, 2014 @ 7:16 pm

I am laughing so hard right now. I just discovered your recipes and writing and I am equally infatuated with them both!

Natalie — January 31, 2014 @ 5:48 pm

I tried this. It was good. Just needs a little crunch to it. Maybe add a couple pieces of round panchetta and bib lettuce. Maybe add sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds.

Marianne — February 15, 2014 @ 3:01 pm

Really outstanding recipe. I found smoked paprika in three “heats” in the store – sweet, medium and hot – got sweet because it sounded good for future use – but also got hot and used it here. So wonderful. That cream sauce was so good I just wanted to eat it with a spoon! A question though – does that roasted garlic freeze well? It would be nice to keep my leftovers for use later when I don’t have my act together to begin with that step.

Jennifer @ Also Known As...the Wife — March 11, 2014 @ 2:48 pm

I made these once before and I really enjoyed them. I’m adding them to meal plan and wanted to know your thoughts on baking instead of frying them? It’s not a health issue…more of my kids refuse to stop clinging to my legs while I’m in the kitchen issue.

I’m thinking a high temperature and spraying the tops of the patties with a bit of oil, flipping and repeating.

Kelly — March 12, 2014 @ 10:50 pm

I just tried this recipe. I liked it, but wonder how I could make the inside less soft. Suggestions much appreciated!

Lisa — March 16, 2014 @ 5:54 pm

I haven’t tried the actual burger, but after making the sauce I was disappointed. Way too much garlic and didn’t taste very good over-all.

Megan S. — March 20, 2014 @ 2:47 pm

Oh my lanta … Someone hold me! Guys, these burgers. Can’t even hang. SO GOOD! I didn’t make the sauce (didn’t have enough garlic), but did everything else. I mean, seriously. Yum.

Kara — March 24, 2014 @ 3:04 pm

Im trying this recipe tonight! I’m going to use edemame instead of white beans. And good call on the carmelized onions. I will be adding that to my grocery list.
    I’m excited!

Kayla — April 1, 2014 @ 12:50 pm

Hi-My daughter and I made these burgers last night and everyone loved them including the meat lovers in our family. My daughter is going to college in fall and wants to learn some vegetarian recipes. She found this one on Pinterest! Thanks for the recipe. We will make it again. The sauce was yummy too. PS Someone asked how to make them more cooked in the middle; I do not consider myself a very knowledgable cook, but what I did seemed to work-After cooking on both sides, I turned off stove and put a lid on the skillet and let the burgers cook a bit more and that seemed to make a difference. I think the trick is to get it “crisp-ish” on that outside and golden on outside first and then try to cook it a bit more on low with lid.

Robin — April 4, 2014 @ 11:55 pm

Made these tonight! Absolutely loved them. We have an abundance of sweet potato potatoes right now so I also made sweet potato fries to go with. Yuuum. I made 8 perfectly sized patties out of our mix. I baked them at 350 for 20 minutes, flipped, and baked for another 8 minutes. Then heated 1/2T avocado oil in a pan and pan fried them all at once to get a nice crisp on them. So delicious! Baking them first really helped them cook all the way through and be more of a burger than a mushy patty. Loved these, thanks!

• Patty — April 21st, 2014 @ 9:29 pm

Thanks so much for this blog. I just now wandered onto this. It is great. This recipe looks amazing to me. I can’t wait to try it. Don’t pay any attention to negivity. Life is way too short for that.

I consider that an opportunity for education. Way to go MRS I. Way to speak up against all the inappropriate junk out there. Keep up the good work, everyone. You are changing lives.
      Thanks again.

Jenny G — May 6, 2014 @ 4:43 pm

I found your recipe and made this last night. They were SO GOOD! The flavors just all went so well together. My husband even enjoyed them. I can’t wait to make them again. I added a little cayenne pepper in the mix and fresh chives (from my garden) in the sauce and it tasted great!

Kristine — July 15, 2014 @ 5:55 pm

I just found you through Huffpost food. I was led to your sweet potato burgers and I think we could be best friends! You sound adorable, I love that sweet James Taylor too and I watch way too much tv. Looking forward to trying these burgers, thanks, and will enjoy following your adventures.

Monica — October 15, 2014 @ 7:15 pm

Just made these for dinner. Delicious!!! Kids loved them too. Will definitely make again.

Nada — October 18, 2014 @ 4:54 pm

This looks delicious! I want to try this soon but im wondering what i can replace the egg with since in allergic!

Kim — October 19, 2014 @ 5:34 am

I absolutely love your writing style. I clicked on your link just to skim the recipe, but caught up in your witty lines and attitude. Thanks for that!

Peter — October 23, 2014 @ 1:01 pm

Nice recipe but your writing and use of language is so bad, it could be considered a crime against humanity. My 5 year old can construct a sentence more clearly.

Amby Felix — October 25, 2014 @ 6:44 am

Everything looks so amazing!!!! The steamy sweet potatoes look so delicious! Great photos! ^_^

Tasmia — December 21, 2014 @ 5:43 pm

Can you convert these measurements to grams ? For cooking in the UK

Kimi — December 22, 2014 @ 4:43 am

This is interesting :) Look so delicious. <3

NMB Mom in Charge of the Kitchen — December 26, 2014 @ 10:33 pm

LOVE these burgers. Never have figured out a good consistency on the garlic yogurt concoction, so I skip it. Glad to get some ideas on how to cook the middle, though. Have to recommend something–we put our burgers on Texas Toast. Not an option calorie-counters would want to explore… just for those who like an open-faced sandwich of pure yumminess!

Courtney — January 22, 2015 @ 9:22 pm

My roommate and I just made this for dinner… SOOOOOO DELICIOUS.

Alaina Latiolais — February 3, 2015 @ 3:22 am

I made these last night with a few tweaks based on what I had in the house and made them 100% vegan. I used a flax egg as the binder and they came together wonderfully. This recipe is to die for!!! Thank you so much for this amazing sweet and savory recipe!

Gale — February 17, 2015 @ 3:16 am

Absolutely amazing dish. No one talked at the table, which is a good sign that everyone loved the burgers. I served them with buns and without. I also instead of slicing the avocado, I mashed it with some mayonnaise and seasoning and spread it on top. I now make them once a week without fail and no beef to remain in your,system. Vegetarians, you will love this recipe.

1. Pingback: 9 Healthy Veggie Burger Recipes - Primavera Kitchen