Want to know what I’m thinking today?

Apple Cider Sangria I howsweeteats.com

Besides how giddy I am that Scott Speedman is back on cable television?

Apple Cider Sangria I howsweeteats.com

And besides how I don’t know if I can handle not ever knowing WHAT happened to Mark Sloan on Grey’s?

Apple Cider Sangria I howsweeteats.com

That this week deserves a big, cold glass of sangria.

Apple Cider Sangria I howsweeteats.com

It has been… a week. Uh huh. And it was “a week” AFTER I had this sangria last weekend. Fair? I think not.

Sooooo. You know, I’m all about the chilly weather cocktails. Last year I made pomegranate vanilla sangria along with apple cider margaritas, and now I’m like why didn’t I ever just make apple cider sangria? I don’t know. Sometimes I am just totally clueless.

Oh and I’m also freaking out over the fact that pomegranate season is HERE! Only one of my favorite fruits, um… EVER.

Apple Cider Sangria I howsweeteats.com

But it’s not about poms today, it’s all about the apples. I guess it’s been all about the apples all week, yes? Huh. Sorta crazy over them.

They only get better in sangria. Trust me.

Apple Cider Sangria I howsweeteats.com

Apple Cider Sangria

Yield: serves 4-6

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

1 bottle (standard size) of pinot grigio
2 1/2 cups fresh apple cider
1 cup club soda
1/2 cup ginger brandy
3 honey crisp apples, chopped
3 pears, chopped

Directions:

Combine all ingredients together and stir, stir, stir. Refrigerate for an hour or so (or longer!) before serving.

[Regular brandy can also be used, I simply used ginger brandy to give it more autumn flavor.]

Apple Cider Sangria I howsweeteats.com

Cheers?

269 Responses to “Apple Cider Sangria.”

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — October 5, 2012 @ 3:29 pm

I am a Sangria girl all the way. love this for fall!

tracy {pale yellow} — October 5, 2012 @ 3:34 pm

This looks like a delicious way to enjoy sangria in transition from summer white sangria to winter red sangria, but I have one question – is there enough wine?

Katie — October 5, 2012 @ 4:16 pm

Uh, it freaking snowed here today and there you go showing me SANGRIA like it’s mid July. I’m jumping into that glass and never emerging.

(Um, Ben Covington? What show is he on now?!)

Lisa | With Style and Grace — October 5, 2012 @ 5:12 pm

I’m sooooo all over this! post pregnancy, of course ;)

• Ashleee — October 26th, 2012 @ 6:33 pm

I am having to say the same thing. I am maybe going to be nice and make it for the family for Thanksgiving!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — October 5, 2012 @ 5:25 pm

Scott Speedman. Swoon.

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — October 5, 2012 @ 7:04 pm

I’ve been waiting for this! Sounds soooo good. It’s finally gotten below 90 degrees here, but hasn’t dipped below 70, so I think this drink is still pretty California-fall-weather appropriate.

Diane, A Broad — October 5, 2012 @ 7:41 pm

Clearly, I am going to need to doctor this by using sparkling hard apple cider that we have in abundance here. Actually, I’ve never seen soft, non-sparking apple cider in Paris. Whatever. More booze! And bubbles!

Lisa — October 5, 2012 @ 7:48 pm

Can it be made without the brandy?

Riley — October 5, 2012 @ 8:14 pm

I think this sangria would go great with a Felicity marathon :) It looks almost as great as Scott Speedman!

Gwen @SimplyHealthyFamily — October 5, 2012 @ 8:45 pm

A WHOLE week with out sangria? Ridiculous indeed! I love the ginger brandy addition, yum-ME.

O.k. so I have a potentially very embarassing quistion…….

I don’t have cable and I’ve been hearing Grey’s Anatomy remarks here and there but watched all the old episodes waaay later on Netflix. So my question is Are there some new episodes as of lately?!!!!

luv what you do — October 5, 2012 @ 9:26 pm

I LOVE sangria!!! What a great way to make it ready for fall. Can’t wait to make a batch (or 3)!

Stacia — October 5, 2012 @ 9:53 pm

Weird, it won’t let me go back to my comment to respond to your response to my comment (did that just make sense?) Yeah, I guess I knew about “the surge” because it happened with my aunt this summer. However, IT? did not look like that. I call bullshit. And also, agreed, WHAT illness. #ineedtogetalifeandstopobsessingovergreysanatomy

Kate G. — October 5, 2012 @ 10:22 pm

LOVE Sangria and apple cider!! Can’t wait to try this!!

Carrie — October 6, 2012 @ 6:29 am

I made this last night for Cocktail Club and it was a huge hit! A few notes: I found it wasn’t sweet enough so I made a simple syrup and added a little of that. I also couldn’t find ginger brandy so I went with regular brandy and didn’t notice the difference. It definitely tastes like fall.

Elizabeth @Food Ramblings — October 6, 2012 @ 8:27 am

Bringing this to girls’ night next week– to watch Grey’s of course. I’m pretending the first episode of the season isn’t real…

georgie — October 6, 2012 @ 9:11 am

i still can’t believe McSteamy is gone. I think I might need a sangria (or three) to console myself!!

Alyssa — October 6, 2012 @ 10:51 am

That looks so good! Perfect for fall!

Barbara | Creative Culinary — October 6, 2012 @ 11:02 am

Love. That is all.

Cara's Healthy Cravings — October 6, 2012 @ 11:13 am

Love your seasonal sangria! All good things in one lovely glass!

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — October 6, 2012 @ 11:58 pm

Beautiful pics!! Oh and I wish I was slurping this out of a wine glass with a straw right now!

Caroline — October 7, 2012 @ 12:19 pm

Made this for an Octoberfest BBQ last night and it was a HIT! I replaced the Pinot Grigio with Vino Verde from Trader Joes and Bourbon for Brandy. It worked really well!! Thanks Jessica for the inspiration!!!

Ruthy @ omeletta — October 7, 2012 @ 2:35 pm

Ohhh…. I want. Badly. Cannot think of anything better for a day when the leaves have turned and I’m like, totes done with mulled wine and non-alcoholic (?) cider. Delish!
    And, Speedman FTW.

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — October 7, 2012 @ 5:04 pm

GENIUS!

Lin — October 7, 2012 @ 8:20 pm

I love Sangria in all forms. So does my best friend but we hadn’t even thought of apple! i usually don’t use pinot grigio in my sangria (bad peach sangria experience), but I can see this would work great with thus. Question – she is allergic to ginger. Think it would be okay without the ginger brandy? Or can you suggest something to use instead?
    Love your blog.
    Thanks,
    Lin

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — October 7, 2012 @ 10:38 pm

Beautiful! Love the ginger brandy in this!!

The Food Hound — October 8, 2012 @ 12:19 pm

I’m totally making this for when I host our playgroup. Yes, that’s a playgroup for babies. They get to drool on each other’s toys, we get to drink this. Fair, right?

The Spatularettes — October 8, 2012 @ 12:33 pm

Such a great recipe! I made it Saturday night to take to an outdoor performance with friends. Everyone went crazy for it, next time I’ll make a double batch ;)

Jennybeamers — October 8, 2012 @ 5:12 pm

Not sure if they have it everywhere, but Polar makes a seasonal flavor of seltzer water, Granny Smith Apple! This is the icing on the cake for this recipe….so good, drinking it now ;)

Laura — October 8, 2012 @ 7:21 pm

That looks almost as awesome as Speedy without a shirt. Almost. ;)

Katie @ Oh Shine On — October 8, 2012 @ 8:20 pm

I am so totally all over this it’s not even re-heal.

katy — October 13, 2012 @ 4:58 pm

just made this and letting it soak!! I couldn’t find ginger brandy so added a dash of ginger. Thank you for the recipe!!

Maria — October 13, 2012 @ 7:56 pm

So this solves a problem that I’ve had since moving to LA, namely that autumn festivities (college football, Halloween) arrive well before autumn weather, and no one wants hot chocolate and Baileys when it’s 80 freaking degrees outside. Problem. Solved.

Yates Yummies — October 17, 2012 @ 11:06 am

What a beautiful post! Love the pictures. I’m having an autumn ladies lunch on Friday and I am so going to serve this! Thanks!

Nicole — October 18, 2012 @ 7:26 pm

I’m not really a big drinker (pretty much wine only and an occasional cocktail out) and don’t like to buy liquor… Is there anything I could do to replace the brandy??

• Jessica — October 18th, 2012 @ 8:28 pm

I’d just leave it out!

• Amanda — December 17th, 2013 @ 5:04 pm

What size pitcher do you make this in? How much liquid is it when its done?

Lauren @YoungNester — October 19, 2012 @ 4:33 pm

Amazing! I cannot wait to try it this weekend at our tailgate. Thanks for posting!

Alyssa — October 19, 2012 @ 9:55 pm

I added some cinnamon. Amazing!

Anita — October 22, 2012 @ 1:32 am

Question! Does it have to be fresh apple cider? Could I just buy bottled cider from the liquor store? Or is fresh apple cider just fresh apple juice?

Steph — October 25, 2012 @ 1:07 pm

This sounds awesome! I’m going to try this for my Pampered Chef party this weekend. I was thinking, would you try this with hard cider?

Cara — November 1, 2012 @ 4:19 pm

I substituted Ginger Beer (Ginger Ale would work too) for the soda water. Gave the drink a great taste!

Linda — November 18, 2012 @ 9:04 pm

Looks so good. How long doe sit keep. I am the only drinker in the house. Could I sip on this for a couple of days?

Cate — November 21, 2012 @ 10:53 am

I used regular brandy because that was all I had and sprinkled in a healthy dose of cinnamon! Next time I’ll pick up some cinnamon sticks!!! Very delish!!

Andrea — November 22, 2012 @ 11:33 am

I did not use brandy and used ginger ale instead of club soda. I used a Reisling wine. Everyone is calling for the recipe after my party. Had to keep making over and over.,thanks for the recipe.

Lindsey B — November 22, 2012 @ 5:41 pm

This was delicious! Made this as our Thanksgiving Day drink. Made it the night before without any issues. In fact, I made a second batch the day of. Yum!

Q — November 22, 2012 @ 11:24 pm

Made this for Thanksgiving…it was yummy…instead of pinot grigio wine I used a Cranberry wine, and I did not add any club soda…it went very fast, and was definately a HIT! Thanks for the recipe!!

Annie @anniemade — November 23, 2012 @ 1:31 pm

Hi! I just wanted to firstly say how beautiful this post is and how inspiring the photography is. Thanks so much for posting this. I pinned it via Pinterest and made the recipe for our first ever married Thanksgiving. It was a huge hit and just wanted to say thanks and I appreciate you sharing it!

Here’s the link- I made sure to link back to you. Take care and Happy Turkey Day!

marguerite — November 27, 2012 @ 2:10 pm

OMG this is SO good!!!!

I used Ginger Liqueur instead of Ginger Brandy… and Ginger Ale instead of Club Soda…

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone really loved it!!

Thanks so much for posting!!

Ryan — November 27, 2012 @ 4:07 pm

I made this last night. It’s pretty good. Next time I’m going to make it a day early so that the apple & pear taste is better extracted into the liquid.

Rebecca — November 30, 2012 @ 9:05 am

I made this for Thanksgiving and it was a raging sucess!!! If you’re thinking about it you should just make it!! I followed the instructions exactly. I did buy a really cheap wine though, but everyone said they liked it.

Kelly — December 8, 2012 @ 11:43 pm

I made this and it was incredibly delicious. I did it almost as written except that I used a sparkling apple cider and poured that and the club soda in just before serving to maintain the fizz. It made for a really crisp and delicious drink, a perfect cold weather sangria. I’m also wondering if some hard cider might be delicious in it as well instead of fresh (especially for those who are looking for the drink to pack more of a punch).

Quite delicious! I’ve always been a fan of the Sangria Flora from Food & Wine and this recipe is definitely up there as well.

Kate — December 12, 2012 @ 12:45 am

I made this tonight and it was AWESOME! I couldn’t find ginger brandy so I just added some ginger to the brandy before adding it. And….I had no clue where to find fresh apple cider and had to use instant and it this sangria still got rave reviews! Thanks so much for sharing.

1. Pingback: a toast to great neighbors | creative gift ideas & news at catching fireflies

2. Pingback: Apple Cider Sangria - good drink recipes | good drink recipes

3. Pingback: Super Food: Apples + 10 Sweet & Savory Recipes to Try | The Running Carrot

4. Pingback: Super Food: Apples + 9 Healthy Apple Snacks

5. Pingback: Thanksgiving Menu Scheming (Yes Already!) | Dootsie

6. Pingback: Fall Cocktails | Air-Tan Blog

7. Pingback: In Season Now: Apples | Monica Hoss, MS, RD

8. Pingback: Five on Friday - jenny collier blog | jenny collier blog

9. Pingback: Apple of Our Eye First Birthday: Food, Dessert & Favors!

10. Pingback: San Mateo Team Elite » Staying [LEAN] throughout Halloween

11. Pingback: 5 Corners Bed and Breakfast - Home

12. Pingback: inspiration for fall entertaining | palettes and passports

13. Pingback: Meal Planning: Week of October 20

14. Pingback: a fall themed dinner party | palettes and passports

15. Pingback: 10 must-try fall cocktails - Our Three Peas

16. Pingback: Spiced Amaretto Apple Cider Kiss. | How Sweet It Is

17. Pingback: Spiced Amaretto Apple Cider Kiss. | pinmeplease

18. Pingback: Southwest Smothered Pork Chops | THE SPATULARETTE

19. Pingback: Drinkin’ the Pretty: Apple Cider Sangria | Surrounded By Pretty

20. Pingback: Thanksgiving Menu: Appetizers + Cocktails - Handcrafted Parties

21. Pingback: Creating the Epic Thanksgiving Celebration - Part 1: The Food - The Vintage Mom

22. Pingback: hosting my first thanksgiving | Sunny Slide Up

23. Pingback: Feeling Fall: Thanksgiving Event Planning - Gold Standard Women

24. Pingback: 5 Tips for Thanksgiving Entertaining - Christinas Adventures

25. Pingback: Hassle Free Tips for Thanksgiving | Paper Culture

26. Pingback: Thanksgiving Sangria test batch | Wanna Be Wine Snob

27. Pingback: 10 “Perfect For Fall” Recipes With Apple Cider | Three Jane NY

28. Pingback: 10 “Perfect For Fall” Recipes With Apple Cider | The Preppy Post Grad

29. Pingback: Pinterest Win or Pinterest Fail: Does an Apple a Day Really Keep the Doctor Away? - The Town Dish

30. Pingback: Ramble Ramble | heatherhomefaker

31. Pingback: Friendsgiving 2013 | Peanut Butter Fingers

32. Pingback: 12 Humbelievable Thanksgiving Recipes | Hummusapien

33. Pingback: A Turkey Filled Weekend | The Broccoli Blog

34. Pingback: I'm baaaack! - Mangoes Margarita

35. Pingback: Apple Cider Sangria | THE SPATULARETTE

36. Pingback: Christmas Cocktails & Appetizers | See You Anon

37. Pingback: 5 apple cider cocktails that make mean mocktails, too | Cool Mom Picks

38. Pingback: Sparkling Grapefruit Sangria | How Sweet It Is

39. Pingback: 20+ Fabulous Must Try Fall Ideas » The Real Thing with the Coake Family

40. Pingback: 5 Fall Sweet Treats - My Freckled Life

41. Pingback: 21 Boozy Cider Drinks To Try This Fall : Eat-Best.com

42. Pingback: 21 Boozy Cider Drinks To Try This Fall | Monthly Recipes

43. Pingback: 21 Boozy Cider Drinks To Try This Fall - Do You Still Hate Me?

44. Pingback: 21 Boozy Cider Drinks To Try This Fall | SaltyPepper

45. Pingback: 21 Boozy Cider Drinks To Try This Fall | c7c World

46. Pingback: 21 Boozy Cider Drinks To Try This Fall | Lowthorp.com

47. Pingback: Apple Cinnamon Sangria | True Whit

48. Pingback: 12 Days of Apple Round Up! (+36 favs!) | My Recipe Network

49. Pingback: Best Fall Recipes | Archadeck of Chicagoland

50. Pingback: 26 Recipes for a Fabulous Fall Cocktail Party - Caroline Kaufman, MS, RDN