Want to know what I’m thinking today?

Apple Cider Sangria I howsweeteats.com

Besides how giddy I am that Scott Speedman is back on cable television?

Apple Cider Sangria I howsweeteats.com

And besides how I don’t know if I can handle not ever knowing WHAT happened to Mark Sloan on Grey’s?

Apple Cider Sangria I howsweeteats.com

That this week deserves a big, cold glass of sangria.

Apple Cider Sangria I howsweeteats.com

It has been… a week. Uh huh. And it was “a week” AFTER I had this sangria last weekend. Fair? I think not.

Sooooo. You know, I’m all about the chilly weather cocktails. Last year I made pomegranate vanilla sangria along with apple cider margaritas, and now I’m like why didn’t I ever just make apple cider sangria? I don’t know. Sometimes I am just totally clueless.

Oh and I’m also freaking out over the fact that pomegranate season is HERE! Only one of my favorite fruits, um… EVER.

Apple Cider Sangria I howsweeteats.com

But it’s not about poms today, it’s all about the apples. I guess it’s been all about the apples all week, yes? Huh. Sorta crazy over them.

They only get better in sangria. Trust me.

Apple Cider Sangria I howsweeteats.com

Apple Cider Sangria

Yield: serves 4-6

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 10 minutes

1 bottle (standard size) of pinot grigio
2 1/2 cups fresh apple cider
1 cup club soda
1/2 cup ginger brandy
3 honey crisp apples, chopped
3 pears, chopped

Combine all ingredients together and stir, stir, stir. Refrigerate for an hour or so (or longer!) before serving.

[Regular brandy can also be used, I simply used ginger brandy to give it more autumn flavor.]

Apple Cider Sangria I howsweeteats.com

314 Responses to “Apple Cider Sangria.”

Joyce Puckhaber — April 26, 2013 @ 9:17 pm

Ginger produces a hot, fragrant kitchen spice.[5] Young ginger rhizomes are juicy and fleshy with a very mild taste. They are often pickled in vinegar or sherry as a snack or just cooked as an ingredient in many dishes. They can also be steeped in boiling water to make ginger tea, to which honey is often added; sliced orange or lemon fruit may also be added. Ginger can also be made into candy, or ginger wine which has been made commercially since 1740…

Newest brief article on our very own homepage

Toni — September 3, 2013 @ 9:19 pm

Would Riesling work for this? I prefer a sweeter wine, I saw someone mention they needed to add a simple syrup to sweeten it up… Thoughts?

• Alicia — November 27th, 2014 @ 9:44 pm

• Alice S Mainville — October 30th, 2015 @ 11:44 am

For the past few years since making this recipe I have used an apple cranberry wine from a local vineyard and it woks fabulously!

Laura — September 17, 2013 @ 11:39 am

Do you know if the alcohol with prevent the apples from browning? I was planning on making this for a wedding after party but if I put it together in the morning I don’t want to put the fruit in if its going to be brown later that night.

• Emily — September 22nd, 2013 @ 3:20 pm

I had a friend make a similar sangria recipe, and she made it two days before our party. The apples, pears, and grapes all stayed true to their color and were very crisp!

Daniella — October 2, 2013 @ 2:20 pm

This looks delicious! I have a batch brewing in my fridge right now that I’m testing out. Just wondering if you used spiced apple cider, or just the regular pasteurized translucent stuff you get in the grocery store? Yours looks cloudy like spiced cider, so I decided to try it out because they had it at Trader Joe’s. I figured the extra spices couldn’t hurt.

Leah — November 2, 2013 @ 3:25 am

For those whose preferences trend a little sweeter, I found that upping the cider to three and a half or four cups makes this perfect.

Lauren — November 10, 2013 @ 11:39 pm

I want to make this for thanksgiving but my grandma doesn’t like alcohol is there something else I could use instead of the brandy and wine?

• Kristina — November 11th, 2013 @ 9:46 am

Yes there is. It is called apple cider.

• Renaye — November 11th, 2013 @ 10:23 am

I’m sure you could use some kind of juice instead of the wine abd UAE ginger ale for the brandy. I think this is what I’ll do for the kid’s version!

• Jessica — November 11th, 2013 @ 10:28 am

i think if you combined it with some ginger ale and added in the apples, cinnamon sticks, etc it would be really cute to serve! just make sure to taste it before… you may need something less sweet added in. you could add some club soda or even get a bottle of sparkling non alcoholic wine.

• Julie — November 21st, 2013 @ 2:30 pm

I’ve made a non-alcoholic punch for years using just a bottle of spiced cider (from Trader Joe’s – or you could use regular cider and add the spices), mixed with a bottle of ginger ale. I’ve never added the fruit or the spices – but I’ll be make the grown up version this year too. Looks wonderful!

Natalie — November 14, 2013 @ 11:22 am

How many ounces of the wine is considered “standard?” Thanks in advance!

• Kristen — November 15th, 2013 @ 7:34 am

750 ml is a “standard” bottle. Can’t wait to try this recipe out this weekend!

Angie — November 16, 2013 @ 9:52 pm

Hi Jessica! I am excited to be bringing this to brunch tomorrow, is it safe to make tonight? Will it hold up well?

• Jessica — November 27th, 2013 @ 9:42 pm

hi angie! sorry i missed this – it should hold up overnight – how was it??

Stefanie — November 27, 2013 @ 3:57 pm

This looks fabulous and my friend told me it was the best sangria she has made… I’m wondering if red wine would work with this? Any thoughts? I’m a red drinker and usually order the red sangria.. Thanks!

• Jessica — November 27th, 2013 @ 9:42 pm

i think as long as you guys love red wine, it will definitely work! you may need to play with the cider proportions in order to taste it more – but go for it!

Mandy — November 27, 2013 @ 9:39 pm

Thanksgiving Emergency!!!! I had a receipe I was planning on making for Sparkling Apple Cider Sangria….. consisting of champagne, congnac, apple cider, fresh apples and pomegranate seeds. I picked up all of the ingredients yesterday except the cognac which I planned to get after work today. Of course the liquor store closed early tonight because of the holiday!!!! Sooooo……. I have plenty of red and white wines and I also have brandy. Can I still make it work somehow? Suggestions appreciated! I was planning on making several pictures for tomorrow’s festivities. HELP!!!!

• Mandy — November 27th, 2013 @ 9:41 pm

Excuse me…… PITCHERS….. not pictures.

• Jessica — November 27th, 2013 @ 9:44 pm

i’m confused as to what you’re asking – did you want to make this recipe? it seems you have all the ingredients??

• Mandy — November 27th, 2013 @ 10:52 pm

Sorry. My original recipe called for cognac, cider and champagne. I don’t have the cognac though but I do have brandy so that should work. Sorry, I read my previous post and yes…. it sounds confusing. Long week! Your recipe sounded good and thought I could combine them a bit…… Basically asking if i can use the champagne instead of the club soda? Again….. sorry for the confusion.

• Jessica — November 27th, 2013 @ 11:05 pm

no prob at all! just wanted to make sure i understood – i do think you can use the champagne in place of it but i would just taste a few times before adding either all of the white or all of the champagne since it may be a little strong. ;)

Stacy — November 28, 2013 @ 2:04 am

Can you replace the brandy with Ginger ale? The liquor store was all out of ginger brandy! Everyone must be making this drink!

• Jessica — November 28th, 2013 @ 8:39 am

yes that should be totally okay! you may not even need the ginger ale – the brandy is a fairly small amount so you can just leave it out. :)

Alex — December 14, 2013 @ 5:39 pm

Quick question! Where did you buy ginger brandy? I can’t find it anywhere!

Amanda — December 19, 2013 @ 3:24 pm

What size pitcher to you use to make this?

Leslie — April 30, 2014 @ 8:37 pm

I love sangria, especially on the beach in the summer time. The girls & I will have to try this, thanks for sharing. I’m stopping by from Pinterest & I’m a new follower.

April @ Badger Kitchen — September 24, 2014 @ 7:47 am

I know what I’m going to be making after the apple orchard this weekend!

Melissa — October 31, 2014 @ 11:59 am

I modified this and used caramel vodka instead of ginger brandy and used Moscato wine. I can’t wait until it’s chilled for tonight!

• Jllian — November 14th, 2014 @ 1:45 am

Does anyone know how much this recipe yields? I have a 2 gallon server I’d like to fill. I was wondering how many times i should repeat the recipe.

• Christine — November 15th, 2014 @ 12:16 pm

I did a gallon today and it was double the recipe. Also added some cinnamon too!

Kaylene Torregrossa — November 28, 2014 @ 2:14 pm

This was a huge hit with my Thanksgiving guests! And for anyone trying to figure out what to do with the bottle of ginger brandy they now have sitting at their bar — it’s really good with hot tea, honey, and lemon. As I discovered this morning.

Stefanie — December 1, 2014 @ 9:47 am

I made this for Thanksgiving and it was a hit! I will definitely keep this recipe. I loved the ginger brandy, too! Thanks, Jessica!

Casey — December 11, 2014 @ 1:29 pm

I’m planning to make this for a Christmas brunch…do you think a splash of cranberry juice would add or detract??? I’d like to make it more Christmas-festive.

lulu — March 5, 2015 @ 12:22 pm

Just because you throw some fruits in a jug with any alcohol doesn’t mean you are making a sangría. Do you actually know what “sangría” means? It means “bloodbath”, and that’s because it has RED WINE. Then you add whatever you want. No red wine? Not a sangría. End of.
    Gosh, they call anything “sangría” days… This is just punch!!!

• Julia — September 13th, 2015 @ 12:06 am

Actually it means Bleeding, but even in Spain where Sangria originated, they have White Sangria. So if it is ok to call it this in the country of origin, probably acceptable here too.

Jo — October 5, 2015 @ 8:37 pm

Made this for my birthday party this weekend and it was a huge hit! Every one loved it. Followed the recipe pretty closely but added a little extra cider. Thanks for sharing! It was perfect for an early fall party.

Tesh — October 11, 2015 @ 11:30 pm

great recipe! going to sub apple crown add an orange and garnish wit h dehydrated apple slices. thanks for getting the creative juices going.

Megan — October 22, 2015 @ 1:41 pm

do you know if you could use the fireball whiskey instead of the brandy??

Brian — November 5, 2015 @ 10:28 am

Made this at my restaurant using 1 gal cider, 1.5L of pinot grigio, and 1L of vanilla vodka. And added a little cinnamon clove and nutmeg mix and it had been flying out

1. Pingback: The Spectator » The Mouthful: October Recipe Roundup

2. Pingback: 21 Boozy Apple Cider Recipes You Should Make DIY Ready | DIY Projects | Crafts - DIY Ready | DIY Projects | Crafts

3. Pingback: Day 320. | 21 for a year.

4. Pingback: Must-Haves for Fall | Diet Deep Dish

5. Pingback: 21 Boozy Apple Cider Recipes You Should Make - Homemade Recipes

6. Pingback: Halloween Fun | Wirl Mamas

7. Pingback: So I Threw a Tea Party for a Bunch of Witches | Superbadgirl

8. Pingback: eye candy 06 | palettes and passports

9. Pingback: 5 Corners Bed and Breakfast - Home

10. Pingback: この秋飲んでみる21杯の大酒飲みのサイダー飲物 | ダイエットはこのメニューで決まり! 最新流行ダイエットフード

11. Pingback: Day 337. | 21 for a year.

12. Pingback: この秋飲んでみる21杯の大酒飲みのサイダー飲物 | 健康に良い食事・悪い食事とは・・専門家が説明します!

13. Pingback: Make-Ahead Thanksgiving | Diet Deep Dish

14. Pingback: Copycat Starbucks Caramel Apple Cider Baking Beauty

15. Pingback: Thanksgiving Recipes - Hissy Fits & Happiness

16. Pingback: 45 Thanksgiving Recipes | How Sweet It Is

17. Pingback: Top 7 Thanksgiving Recipes with a Twist - Miss Frugal Fancy Pants

18. Pingback: A Turkey Day Race and Zesty Carrots – A New Favorite Thanksgiving Side Dish | More Than Hungry

19. Pingback: {Thanksgiving} Veggies…or drinks.

20. Pingback: My Thanksgiving Table and a Peek Around the House | More Than Hungry

21. Pingback: Apple Cider Sangira- N2MCC51 | Hungry Holly Runs

22. Pingback: Thanksgiving prep…. | Worship Worthy

23. Pingback: Welcome to October | Lucky Rhino

24. Pingback: | BHG Delish Dish

25. Pingback: Cocktails | 21 Game Changing Sangria Recipes | coco bean biscuit

26. Pingback: cucumber watermelon sangria | Wagshal's Blog

27. Pingback: Apple of Our Eye First Birthday: Food, Dessert & Favors! - Nicole Culver

28. Pingback: Football Food Favorites! • Cooking | Add a Pinch

29. Pingback: Top 10 Fall Cocktails I HAVE To Try | SimpleTailz

30. Pingback: 16 Boozy Festive Fall Cocktails!

31. Pingback: 21 Boozy Cider Drinks To Try This Fall - ★Bookmrkd

32. Pingback: HOSTING A GIRLS' NIGHT - Discover Happiness

33. Pingback: Halloween in America | USINMADE

34. Pingback: 10 Cocktails to Serve at Your Fall Wedding - crazyforus

35. Pingback: A Taste of Fall – Island Style

36. Pingback: apple picking | PALETTES AND PASSPORTS

37. Pingback: Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is

38. Pingback: 5 Delicious Apple Cider Recipes

39. Pingback: Friday Favorites | Life With A Side of Wine

40. Pingback: 20 Adult Apple Cider Recipes - Horseshoes & Hand Grenades

41. Pingback: 2015 Summer Harvest CSA Share Week of November 3 | Your CSA

42. Pingback: Festive Fall Cocktails

43. Pingback: 2015 Summer Harvest CSA Share Week of November 10 | Your CSA

44. Pingback: Love at First Taste: Delicious Fall Cocktails | The Kitchen Couture Blog

45. Pingback: 40+ Healthy and Delicious Thanksgiving Recipes

46. Pingback: Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is

47. Pingback: What Are You Making for Thanksgiving? - Treats With a Twist

48. Pingback: Sundays in the South | kcreatives

49. Pingback: Bookish (and not so bookish) Thoughts | booksaremyfavouriteandbest

50. Pingback: Mulled Wine, Two Ways. | How Sweet It Is