‘Tis the season to stuff squash into every food imaginable.

Baked Pumpkin Fettuccine Alfredo I howsweeteats.com

Get on board, k?

There are a million things I look forward to every autumn, such as crunchy leaves and crisp air and new seasons of fabulous TV shows and the thought that omgthankgod! that shorts are out of season, but the best by far is smashing squashes(eseses) into savory foods.

And I wish the excitement was shared with other members of my family, but while my husband is just “okay” with a squash side dish, the rest of my family practically lost their… stuff… when I brought butternut lasagna to Thanksgiving dinner last year. Um, hello? I’m not gonna fight it if you can’t handle squash in untraditional ways. More for me. Whomp whomp.

Baked Pumpkin Fettuccine Alfredo I howsweeteats.com

And that’s sort of what I did last weekend. I, of course, was able to call this a meal considering it consisted of some of my favorite ingredients in the world, but SOMEONE else had to pair it with some leftover turkey meatballs. Not together. I would NOT let him ruin this fettuccine like that. But I mean, who knows what happened when my back was turned. He probably doused it with ketchup or something.

Welcome to my life.

Baked Pumpkin Fettuccine Alfredo I howsweeteats.com

The thing is… I could not stop devouring this. Like straight up, right from the baking dish devouring it. Like a hot mess. Like a I-don’t-even-care-who-sees-me hangry disaster. Like a it’s-9:45-and-I’m-watching-Full-House-and-frying-extra-sage-for-a-microwave-heated-bowl-of-pumpkin-pasta freak. I even kept sneaking bites (from whom? I don’t know. Is it whom or who?) for the rest of the night, as the dish got colder and colder and colder. Didn’t care. Was a girl possessed.

Baked Pumpkin Fettuccine Alfredo I howsweeteats.com

And I swear, it’s different from the butternut shells I rambled on and on about last week, because, uh… well… I say so. It’s much creamier, it sports a different noodle, it’s covered in sage and cheesier too. Cheesier in a good way. Not a cheesy way. And while it’s still a bit decadent, it’s slightly lighter than traditional alfredo and loaded with fiber and nutrients and all sorts of good stuff.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Baked Pumpkin Fettuccine Alfredo I howsweeteats.com

1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
3/4 cups pumpkin puree
1 tablespoons freshly chopped sage leaves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
freshly grated fontina cheese for topping
fine breadcrumbs for sprinkling

fried sage
10-15 fresh sage leaves
2-3 tablespoons olive oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Boil water and prepare pasta according to directions, shaving 1-2 minutes off of cooking time. I cooked my fettuccine for 6 minutes.

Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add butter. Once sizzling, whisk in flour and stir to create a roux, until bubbly and golden, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add in milk, stirring constantly and increasing heat a little bit until it begins to bubble and thicken, about 5-6 minutes. Add in mascarpone, parmesan, pumpkin, sage, salt, pepper and pumpkin pie spice, mixing well until smooth and combined and thickened into a sauce.

Spray a baking dish (mine was 7x11) with nonstick spray and add pasta to the dish. Pour sauce over top and toss well with kitchen tongs to coat. Add some grated fontina on top and a sprinkling of bread crumbs. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until bubbly and slightly golden.

While pasta is baking, heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add olive oil. Once hot, add sage leaves 4-5 at a time and fry for about 30 seconds. Remove and place on a paper towel.

Serve pasta immediately and top with sage leaves.

[This can easily be reheated but like any alfredo, you will need to add a bit of milk or liquid as it warms to bring the creaminess back to the dish.]

Baked Pumpkin Fettuccine Alfredo I howsweeteats.com

You can find me elbow deep in that dish up there.

128 Responses to “Baked Pumpkin Fettuccine Alfredo.”

Kim in MD — October 11, 2012 @ 7:00 am

Oh my gosh…I am all about ANYTHING pumpkin right now, and this pasta is seriously drool worthy this morning!

Amy — October 11, 2012 @ 7:05 am

Somehow you have me craving cheesy pasta for breakfast…whoa

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — October 11, 2012 @ 7:20 am

Ohhhhhh yummy!!! I love pumpkin Alfredo, it’s so good!! I I just love pumpkin! It’s so versatile!, what a wonderful vegetable!

Simply Life — October 11, 2012 @ 7:21 am

now this is a great fall meal!

Jen @ Savory Simple — October 11, 2012 @ 7:30 am

That looks seriously incredible!

Alicia Greenrabbit — October 11, 2012 @ 7:35 am

This is a great inspiring dish to start my day! I have a great recipe for Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls, where you incorporate the pumpkin into the yeast dough ,they’re so good!!!!!!!! Pumpkin,pumpkin ,pumpkin ,can you say that 3 times fast?

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — October 11, 2012 @ 7:55 am

Oh I’m totally on board for stuffing everything possible with squash! Over the weekend my mum brought me a butternut squash that I think weighed about 7lbs from a farm stand she passed… you can imagine my excitement!! It’s nearly gone (yep, and all thanks to me) but I’m far from squashed-out for the season. Bring it on!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — October 11, 2012 @ 8:05 am

This looks so, so good, Jessica. Bring on the squash!

Lynda Qunell — October 11, 2012 @ 8:16 am

Well, well I read the Baked Pumpkin Fettucin Alfredoi recipe and your Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings recipe. I want both now. Since it’s 5:07 am PST here I will wait a couple hours. Then the game is on.

You see what happened is I read the post on MY 38th wedding anniversary. Oh yea thats right 38 loving ( I mean that ) years. My husband is a plain meat, potatos and cassarole guy. I love food and to cook. He might look at me weird sometimes when i put something on the table, but he still eats it even his way with something extra. We are still together, been married since we were 19, it’s the food I tell you. And they said it wouldn’t last .Ha. Fooled them.

You rock Jessica and your marrage is going to be a great one for a many, many years to come. YOU COOK, HE EATS.

Oh by the way I’m cooking both of the dishes of yours today. It will tickle both of our taste buds, to each his own. Oh yea he loves Ketchup too. GEEZ.

• Jessica — October 11th, 2012 @ 10:34 am

Thank you, thank you Lynda!

Rachel — October 11, 2012 @ 8:25 am

i can’t take it anymore. i want to make everything on your blog. every. single thing!!!!! i just found you a week ago and i am a woman obsessed. yours is my favorite food blog i have ever read….pretty sure i’m your biggest fan right now…and also pretty sure i sound like a crazy….i can’t help it. your food looks yummy!

p.s. i am so making this.

• Jessica — October 11th, 2012 @ 10:33 am

Thank you Rachel!

Abby@ Totes Delish — October 11, 2012 @ 8:26 am

I was just wondering what to do with the squash in my fridge. Problem: solved : )

Alexis @ Hummusapien — October 11, 2012 @ 8:30 am

Pumpkin alfredo?! YUMM!!!! Drooling.

Katie — October 11, 2012 @ 8:36 am

I thought I was having a stressful morning. And then I saw this.

Thank you!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — October 11, 2012 @ 8:40 am

It does look like it is the kind of pasta where the cork goes directly into the baking dish! I need meal like this in my life!

joelle (on a pink typewriter) — October 11, 2012 @ 8:44 am

One million percent in agreement: “‘Tis the season to stuff squash into every food imaginable.” I already tweeted you this, but soon as I read the title of this post, I wanted some of this dish for breakfast. I wish you catered.. or taught cooking lessons in DC. ;)

Kerry @ Snark and Pepper — October 11, 2012 @ 8:46 am

I LOVE frying sage leaves! This looks so warm and comforting, and now I want it for breakfast despite it being in the 80s here in Florida.

Diane, A Broad — October 11, 2012 @ 8:54 am

Yup, I am pro-sticking pumpkin in everything this season. This looks perfect.

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life — October 11, 2012 @ 9:13 am

Well, I thought I was on the way out with pumpkin stuff, and then I made pumpkin soup and you made pumpkin alfredo!!! This is AMAZING looking!!! Pumpkin is here to stay for me!! I must have this meal very very soon:-)

Katie — October 11, 2012 @ 9:20 am

Perfect! I am going to make this for a friend who just had a baby!! I might sneak a bite (or half the tray) myself, too.

Also, I had browned butter fettuccine alfredo at a restaurant the other night and I felt like calling you. Even though I don’t have your number. I also moaned a little and Meeker was embarrassed.

• Jessica — October 11th, 2012 @ 10:32 am

OMG. you need my number.

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings — October 11, 2012 @ 9:22 am

My mouth is watering– this looks amazing!!!

Deanna — October 11, 2012 @ 9:29 am

baked pumpkin fettuccine alfredo?? Oh no you didn’t!!!

Su — October 11, 2012 @ 9:31 am

I’ve made the butternut lasagna… I’ve made the butternut shells… I will definitely make this fetuccione :D

• Jessica — October 11th, 2012 @ 10:32 am

I love that you’ve made them all.

Natalie — October 11, 2012 @ 9:31 am

Love your recipes and this looks fantastic! Any suggestions for a substitution for mascarpone? Just wondering because it isn’t something I usually keep around. Thanks so much!

• Jessica — October 11th, 2012 @ 10:32 am

Regular cream cheese is just fine. :)

Heidi @foodiecrush — October 11, 2012 @ 9:37 am

We’re on the same pumpkin and sage kick today. I’m not sure there’s anything I like sinking my teeth in to more than that combo. And let the family know its time to man up and broaden their T-day horizons. Come on people, we’re not pilgrims, we can evolve :)

• Jessica — October 11th, 2012 @ 10:31 am

Holiday Baker Man — October 11, 2012 @ 9:46 am

A perfect fall meal!

kim@hungryhealthygirl — October 11, 2012 @ 9:52 am

I absolutely love the idea of adding pumpkin to pasta and I’m good with cheesier!!

Loretta E — October 11, 2012 @ 9:56 am

Of course you would create something that would tempt me over to the dark side! I rarely eat pasta, but I might have to create an exception…It just looks so dang good.

Cassie | Bake Your Day — October 11, 2012 @ 10:00 am

simply perfect!

Kare @ Kitchen Treaty — October 11, 2012 @ 10:07 am

I am so into pumpkin pasta dishes right now. Something even awesomer (not a word, I know) happens when you bake it, too. Love the addition of mascarpone and those fried sage leaves are just perfect!

Sues — October 11, 2012 @ 10:10 am

Best idea! I could eat an entire baking dish of this. Without meatballs, of course!

Stephanie — October 11, 2012 @ 10:16 am

I mean. Just really?!?! GetInMyBellyKThanks. Was just chatting with a foodie friend at how much life changed overall for the better once discovering mascarpone cheese. Stuff is so ridiculously good.

Erika — October 11, 2012 @ 10:22 am

Adopt me into your family!! I will appreciate every single one of your squash dishes :)

Ugh thanks for pushing this craving on me. I refuse to eat pasta until Nov. 1 but on that day…I will be making this.

Christine @ Cooking with Cakes — October 11, 2012 @ 10:36 am

this looks INSANE!!!!!! I will def be making an interpretation of this – I’m thinking of sutffing the pumpkin, mascarpone & parmigiano into ravioli or stuffed shells :) I’ll let you know how it comes out!

Cookbook Queen — October 11, 2012 @ 10:49 am

Will you come cook me dinner???

Bev @ Bev Cooks — October 11, 2012 @ 10:52 am

I wonder what my entire face would look like on top of that thing.

nicole @ I am a Honey Bee — October 11, 2012 @ 10:59 am

oh i can see why you kept going back for me with this recipe. sounds like a perfect fall dish. love comfort dishes like this

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — October 11, 2012 @ 11:10 am

Praise the lord that short season is over!!!! I’m going to gain 20 lbs from eating all this amazing squashy/gordy/cheesy goodness you have been putting on the blog lately!

Anne W. — October 11, 2012 @ 11:11 am

You just made me want to go and cook this (like right now before 10:30am), sit on the couch with it, watch trashy reality TV (my guilty pleasure), and stuff this dish into my face like a gluttonous slut.

Katie Qué — October 11, 2012 @ 11:38 am

I made [a slightly modified version of] your butternut squash mac and cheese last week and ate 3/4 of a 9×13 pan of it BY MYSELF. Not upset about it.

I cannot wait to make this. I basically cried over the picture. In a good way.

Your recipes/pictures bring me joy every day.

Randi K. — October 11, 2012 @ 11:50 am

I think I just fell in love..

Christina (Sisters Running the Kitchen) — October 11, 2012 @ 12:06 pm

this looks GREAT! I cant wait to try! i love pumpkin and would have probably loved your squash lasagna! haha my parents are just like your family with only liking the traddional stuff.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — October 11, 2012 @ 12:06 pm

This looks so freaking amazing. I know what I’m making for dinner next!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — October 11, 2012 @ 12:14 pm

Ahhhh yes now this is my kinda meal. Fried sage?!! Awesome!!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — October 11, 2012 @ 12:19 pm

Jess it’s gorgeous…that last shot. The spiralized stack of perfectly coated noodles with the sage feather in it’s cap, so to speak, is just beautiful! Scott would go nuts for this meal!

Colette @ JustforFoodies — October 11, 2012 @ 12:30 pm

It’s raining today and this is what I want for dinner!

Jill @ Miss Delish — October 11, 2012 @ 12:43 pm

I definitely need this for breakfast.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — October 11, 2012 @ 12:44 pm

HELLO! Love this combo…awww yeah.

Living The Sweet Life — October 11, 2012 @ 1:01 pm

so.. I’m in love. Like I want to jump in this hot pot of pasta and live forever.

this is major.

paige — October 11, 2012 @ 1:27 pm

you have the most amazing recipes and i pretty much want to make every single thing you mention. i have probably pinned 30,000 of your recipes and have even made many of them! just wanted to stop by and say how much i love your blog, your food and of course your beautiful photos (it’s all about the photos!). thanks!!

Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen — October 11, 2012 @ 1:30 pm

I love, love, love, love, love pumpkin fettuccine alfredo! It really is one of my favorite meals ever! I always make mine with almond milk though. I’m not a huge fan of cow’s milk, so almond milk keeps it nice and light yet still super creamy and dreamy…drooooool….

1. Pingback: Friday Food Foto - Freshly picked tomatoes - Misadventures with Andi

2. Pingback: Hello, 27 « Dancing for Food

3. Pingback: Pumpkin and Sage Grilled Cheese

4. Pingback: Pumpkin Recipe Round-Up : Yes, I want cake.

5. Pingback: Three for Thursday « the life & adventures of kaydee currie

6. Pingback: Friday Favorites « Find Your Way

7. Pingback: How to Cook with Sage | Sage Recipes

8. Pingback: How to Cook with Sage | Lose Weight Fast, Diet Plans, Healthy Meals & Product Store

9. Pingback: How to Cook with Sage |

10. Pingback: How to Cook with Sage | Food Square Recipes

11. Pingback: Baked Pumpkin Ziti | Peaches, Please!

12. Pingback: Baked Pumpkin Gnocchi | tgipaleo

13. Pingback: Ingredient Spotlight: Pumpkin | Mod City Mag

14. Pingback: Pumpkin Fettuccine Alfredo - Cookie and Kate

15. Pingback: Baked Pumpkin Chicken Spaghetti Alfredo | Food Ramblings

16. Pingback: Monday Blues. | Write. Cook. Travel. Live.

17. Pingback: Kitchen Tips: How to make pumpkin puree « More Quiche, Please