I guess I really like my skillet this week!

Brussels Sprouts Breakfast Hash I howsweeteats.com

That was unintentional. Maybe. Accidentally on purpose? I think so.

But can we talk about something? The brussels. Oh the brussels. I’m a little weepy because it was exactly two years ago that I tried them for the first time (well, for the first time prepared correctly, not like, only steamed with salt and pepper and thus inducing massive gag reflexes… which consequently ended up with me refusing to try something so horrific) and because I’m not dramatic or anything, well… it sort of changed my life. Except it really did. For real.

Brussels Sprouts Breakfast Hash I howsweeteats.com

Before the brussels came into my circle of trust, I could handle some onions and mushrooms and peppers inside of things, but the only vegetable I actually enjoyed and could semi stand was kale in chip form. Trust me. I know. I find it freakishly insane that for someone who doesn’t even like vegetables, the two that I enjoy the most are kale and brussels sprouts. Like, the two most disgusting things on the planet that smell gross and are just, blah. Well, wait. The one thing on the planet I realllllly can’t stand are fennel seeds. I like fennel, but fennel seeds? OMG gag me with a spoon. Puhlease somebody just banish them from this world. It would make my entire life.

So two years later and we’re still going strong. In order to celebrate, I chopped the brussles and threw them in a hot-as-heck skillet, making them sizzle out of their minds. But I tossed them in bacon grease, so that’s where all the love comes in. You seriously want to be in a relationship with me. I swear.

Brussels Sprouts Breakfast Hash I howsweeteats.com

I must tell you though that this sooooo would not be breakfast in my house. I mean, maybe like, once in a blue moon. Maybe once a year? Maybe if it was leftovers? It just seems much more like dinner to me. Perhaps it’s because I grew up in a house that was stark raving MAD every morning before school (no really, pretty sure my dad had to THROW THINGS at my brother to get him out of bed) and on the weekends came pancakes, not potatoes and eggs. That was a speciality that my mom would whip out for dinner when my dad was away since he isn’t a breakfast-for-dinner fan and you know what? Neither is my husband. What is wrong with these people? What is my issue with men in my life and breakfast in the evening?

There has to be some subliminal meaning.

Brussels Sprouts Breakfast Hash I howsweeteats.com

Now here I find myself with an entire skillet full of vegetables – very elated vegetables I may add, thankyouverymuch bacon – topped with some eggs… and actually consider it a meal. With really buttered, really seedy, really fluffy and crusty toast, of course. It’s basically like eating a skillet full of autumn. And who doesn’t want to eat a skillet full of autumn?

Brussels Sprouts Breakfast Hash I howsweeteats.com

1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 garlic cloves, minced
10-12 brussels sprouts, stems removed and sliced
3-4 large eggs
salt + pepper to taste

Directions:

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add bacon. Cook until crispy and fat is rendered, then remove with a slotted spoon and let drain on a paper towel. Slightly reduce the heat under the skillet and add onion and sweet potato, tossing to coat. Cook until sweet potato has softened, about 6-8 minutes, then stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds.

Add sliced brussels sprouts and stir to combine, cooking them until soft and caramely, another 5 minutes or so. In the meantime, poach or fry eggs, cooking until desired doneness. Serve immediately with buttered toast!

Brussels Sprouts Breakfast Hash I howsweeteats.com

I sure do… at least for dinner.

129 Responses to “Brussels Sprouts Breakfast Hash… For Dinner.”

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — October 24, 2012 @ 6:58 am

I am completely making this!

Carrie@Bakeaholic Mama — October 24, 2012 @ 7:00 am

Oh my gosh. I want sprouts right now so bad! I can eat them allllll day every day. One of my favorite foods.

Kim in MD — October 24, 2012 @ 7:07 am

I’m so happy that you are cooking up a skillet full of vegetables! Well…a skillet full of vegetables made better with bacon! This looks insanely delicious, and I agree that it’s more of a dinner hash. It really is a skillet full of Autumn, and I can’t wait to make it. I’m thinking the hash (without the eggs) would make a really great side dish for almost anything.I’m thinking chicken or pork, but I think it would go great with beef and fish, too…yum!

Jessica- the photo above the recipe is STUNNING!

• Jessica — October 24th, 2012 @ 7:20 am

Thanks Kim! A few weeks ago I actually had a brussels hash (really different, it was almost like shaved hash browns) under a filet, so it would totally work!

Amanda — October 24, 2012 @ 7:13 am

That looks delish! Question…did you peel the sweet potato?

Amanda — October 24, 2012 @ 7:16 am

Never mind! Just re-read the recipe in its entirety! ;-)

• Jessica — October 24th, 2012 @ 7:21 am

No prob – you don’t have to peel them though if you like the skin!

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — October 24, 2012 @ 7:19 am

Woah, this looks delicious. And actually a little healthy. Kinda? It’s got veggies!!!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — October 24, 2012 @ 7:24 am

Looks yummy! I never had sweet potato with Brussels sprouts but I have butternut squash and for some reason those orange veggies go great with Brussels sprouts! Your egg looks perfect!!! I always make scrambled because I tend to break the yolk!

Renee — October 24, 2012 @ 7:26 am

Awesome! I know what I’m making for dinner this week!

Laura — October 24, 2012 @ 7:41 am

hello Jessica. this recipe is incredible. just a heads up – you made a small typo in this sentence “I find it freakishly insane that for someone who doesn’t even like vegetables, the two that I enjoy the most are kale are brussels sprouts” – I’m assuming its meant to read kale “and” Brussels sprouts!!

• Jessica — October 24th, 2012 @ 9:22 am

thank you!! typos make me stabby so i really appreciate it. fixed. :)

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — October 24, 2012 @ 7:49 am

I love everything about this recipe!! I need to make this for dinner soon.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — October 24, 2012 @ 7:55 am

Ahhh you’ve got me drooling this morning! Brussels sprouts are my favourite veggie, so much so that I would happily eat them for breakfast (and I have!) Beautiful photos!

Chelsy — October 24, 2012 @ 8:20 am

breakfast for dinner. Always. Even 3 bowls of honey nut cheerios is acceptable.

Rachel {Studio Cuisine} — October 24, 2012 @ 8:22 am

Yes, yes, YES! i can’t tell you how excited I am to have an excuse to eat brussels sprouts for every.single.meal!

Stephanie — October 24, 2012 @ 8:30 am

brussels sprouts and bacon together make the meaning of life complete. or whatever. you know what i mean haha. this looks so good!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — October 24, 2012 @ 8:30 am

Mmm sign me up!

Liz @ Beauty and the Beefs — October 24, 2012 @ 8:31 am

First of all, you are absolutely adorable, I love reading your posts. Second of all, I also DESPISE fennel seeds. I cannot tell you how disappointed I get when i order something and it comes out with those little things on it. I can’t possibly eat it after that.

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh — October 24, 2012 @ 8:33 am

How fortunate I have a big ol thing of brussels sprouts in the fridge!

Living The Sweet Life — October 24, 2012 @ 8:42 am

Yeaa… so you make me happy when skies are grey :$ I LOVE this recipe … as usual.

Jessica — October 24, 2012 @ 8:58 am

I live for breakfast for dinner. Like, who made the decision that eggs were for breakfast? I DEFY YOU EGG POLICE!

Abby@ Totes Delish — October 24, 2012 @ 8:58 am

My boyfriend doesn’t like breakfast for dinner either! What is wrong with these men?? I don’t like brussel sprouts unless they are tossed in grease either, so this fits the bill perfectly!

Erin — October 24, 2012 @ 9:00 am

Morning, Jessica! I did something super similar a few week ago but I carmalized the onions in apple cider before folding them in. SO insanely good. I know you carmalize onions all the time so I thought I’d throw that out there =)http://wickedvegan.com/2012/09/28/autumn-breakfast-hash/

• Jessica — October 24th, 2012 @ 9:20 am

omg… so in love with this idea because i have an obsession with apple cider. thank you so much for sharing!!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — October 24, 2012 @ 9:16 am

I don’t mind fennel seeds, but only if it’s in sausage. I got this gourmet chocolate with fennel seeds in it, because I thought it was all fancy and daring. Yeah..fennel does not belong in chocolate. Nope.

This skillet looks great!

• Jessica — October 24th, 2012 @ 9:20 am

ha that’s so funny, because fennel seeds in sausage is like the main reason i don’t like them! i can’t imagine them in chocolate. yikes.

Erin@LawStudentsWife — October 24, 2012 @ 9:19 am

Brussel sprouts are a recent love affair for me too! Why do they get such a bad rap?? You are bold for serving them for breakfast, but this hash looks totally incredible. Way to be daring. Love it!

Lindsay — October 24, 2012 @ 9:25 am

I fully support this breakfast.

Also – because I’ve been dying to know – what are your countertops made of (I’m assuming the silvery gray surface in many of your photos is your counter?) Is it concrete? Because I kind of love it.

• Jessica — October 24th, 2012 @ 9:32 am

Oh goodness no – that is just a large piece of tile from Lowe’s! It was $1.79. :)

Liz — October 24, 2012 @ 9:28 am

THIS. IS. EPIC. The best way to enjoy vegetables.

Cassie | Bake Your Day — October 24, 2012 @ 9:29 am

Love this, girl. We have been nearly living on hash and succotash lately. The eggs are gorgeous!

Julie @ NaClKItchen — October 24, 2012 @ 9:42 am

I only do doctored up hash for dinner as well! Breakfast in the morning (if it isn’t on the go) is pancakes, waffles or omlets. Maybe a side of plain hashbrowns. But never veggies in a hash for breakfast. Only for dinner! :)

lisa — October 24, 2012 @ 9:53 am

I would so eat this for breakfast too!

Katie — October 24, 2012 @ 9:55 am

How terrible is fennel seed?! IN SAUSAGE? Ohmygosh barf.

But this skillet? The opposite of that.

joelle (on a pink typewriter) — October 24, 2012 @ 9:56 am

That looks so pretty! I ‘d def eat some b.sprouts for breakfast. Why not?

Nikki @ Nikki Dinki Cooking — October 24, 2012 @ 9:57 am

Love this! Have always been a fan of topping…well anything…with an egg. And the brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes are a great choice!

Heidi @foodiecrush — October 24, 2012 @ 10:16 am

Oh great, now you’ve done it. You put bacon and my favorite fried egg on my least favorite vegetable of all and now I have to try and become a convert like you. This one may make it happen.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — October 24, 2012 @ 10:18 am

brussels sprouts have always been in my circle of trust, but i’m seriously flipping over this dish. NEED!

Ann — October 24, 2012 @ 10:20 am

I’ve had a very similar life journey with vegetables. For me, it was asparagus that first started make me see the light. But I did want to let you know that this skillet of vegetables (including brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes–two of my prior arch nemeses) looks so good to me that I’m going to go make it. So thank you for this delightful recipe and for helping to convert me!

Meg @ Peaches and Cake — October 24, 2012 @ 10:20 am

Not only is this a skillet full of autumm, it’s a skillet full of paleo! I just started Crossfit and am trying to eat paleo, like, 50% of the time, hah, so this would be a perfect breakfast. Thanks for the great idea Jessica!

Tina CMW — October 24, 2012 @ 10:36 am

I am so sad! I just this morning finished up reading this blog from the vey beginning! It took me over two weeks to do so! I have saved so many recipes and have been inspired when cooking due to said reading. And now I am all caught up! Just wanted to let you know that I love love love your blog, and BTW the pics you take are truly incredible!!!! I still believe in my heart that you should be doing a cooking show!!! grin. Keep up the great super terrific job, and I look forward to starting my day with you! And Mr. How Sweet

Kim@hungryhealthygirl — October 24, 2012 @ 10:41 am

Printing this recipe now! I’m addicted to brussel spouts at the moment….cooked correctly, of course and with sweet potatoes and bacon {perfection}!

deva at deva by definition — October 24, 2012 @ 10:44 am

This looks and sounds amazing. I may have to try it on one of those nights where I am home alone. My fiance is not a brussels sprouts fan. It has to do with their aroma when cooking. I, however, adore them, especially when crispy!

Stacy @ Stacy Eats — October 24, 2012 @ 10:46 am

Just last night I tried to convince my husband to have a skillet hash for dinner. His response, nope. Now I’m just gonna have to make it for breakfast and make your recipe with sweet potatoes and brussels, yum!

Shelly — October 24, 2012 @ 10:47 am

I never thought I would see the day when I would see “Brussel Sprouts…” anything as the first words in one of your posts. This looks Amahzing though!

Erin — October 24, 2012 @ 11:18 am

Holy cow. I loooooove brussel sprouts, and hash, and runny yolks, and breakfast for dinner. i am seriously making this ASAP.

Eriak — October 24, 2012 @ 11:21 am

Yum, I love your version of brussel sprouts. I usually just eat them baked with lots of parmesan :) Can you please keep your skillet out and make some dutch babies?? (Unless you have and i’ve missed them somehow…) I’d love to see your take on them!

Amanda — October 24, 2012 @ 11:44 am

Booooo for fennel! My Italian family struggles to understand how I can loathe it so much! I 100% believe them when they tell me that Grandpa’s Italian Sausage is sooooo delicious, but until there is no fennel in it, this girl will pass.

Jaynie @Junabug — October 24, 2012 @ 11:46 am

I woke up this morning and the first thing I saw was this post on twitter. A few hours later and i can’t stop looking at your post. I think I have to go to the market now!

Michelle — October 24, 2012 @ 11:51 am

Breakfast for dinner is like *the* coolest thing ever, but it’s so hard to find people who like to do it. My mom would only do it when Dad was out of town, too. It’s like the forbidden thing to do, which might be why it tastes so dang good.

I came to a similar conclusion about sauerkraut as you did about brussels. Somehow they end up in your circle of trust, and that’s where they’ll stay!

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats — October 24, 2012 @ 12:13 pm

I love brussels sprouts cooked up in bacon grease..its actually on my dinner plan for tonight..the grease totally changes the ‘cabbage-ey’ taste of the brussels! We would love this for brunch!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — October 24, 2012 @ 12:14 pm

This looks delish! I made breakfast for dinner in my cast iron last night. Love it for that! I love that you used sweet potatoes and brussles in yours!

Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut — October 24, 2012 @ 12:33 pm

I am totally making this this weekend! Pinky promise, I cannot WAIT! My boyfriend is totally going to leave me to pursue you—for this recipe alone. It’s just a matter of time… ;)

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — October 24, 2012 @ 12:49 pm

I’m still not completely sold on brussels sprouts but this looks too good not to try :)

Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen — October 24, 2012 @ 1:02 pm

Woman! You are the master of the steamy shot. I love them so much. This looks delicious. I’m so obsessed with brussels sprouts right now. i want them in everything! Including this! x

1. Pingback: Is jy ook mal oor Blogging? | Uit die pen van Hedgie

2. Pingback: Good Breakfast Weekend | Wicked Healthy Washingtonian

3. Pingback: Country Cleaver » Breakfast, Lunches, Dinners, Desserts and some fat pants, if you please

4. Pingback: Breakfast for Dinner – Brussels Sprout Hash « Andrea's Garden Cooking

5. Pingback: Tasty Tuesday: Butternut Squash, Red Potato, + Quinoa Hash | Mod City Mag

6. Pingback: Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apples and Cranberries

20. Pingback: 25 recipes for Brussels sprouts for superfood meals

21. Pingback: Brussels Sprouts Breakfast Hash | Home Recipes Catalog

22. Pingback: my fave: brussels sprouts hash | ...by allison

23. Pingback: Harvest Inspired Fresh Fall Recipes | fresh inspirations

24. Pingback: How To Prepare What’s On Sale: Brussels Sprouts

25. Pingback: weekly meal: Feb 3 – 8 | lucky red rabbit

26. Pingback: Healthy Recipes You Should Put In Your Diet - Delicious Food Recipes