I fell in love with so many things this summer.

Caramel Apple Grilled Cheese I howsweeteats.com

And while mint green nail polish and neon pink jeans and this insane chocolate explosion cake (no really, it should be illegal) all made the list, nothing topped the charts like my obsession with grilled fruit and cheese sandwiches.

Caramel Apple Grilled Cheese I howsweeteats.com

I think you can probably agree… and heck – you might even find it somewhat irritating. It wouldn’t be the first time. I mean I just could not stop with the shoving of the fruit and the grilling of the cheese. I even made more combinations that I didn’t share because who wants to be borderline obnoxious?

Ha. Kidding. I’m well aware I often cross the line of obnoxiousness over here.

But let me tell you… caramel apple grilled cheese(sus) works. Really works.

Caramel Apple Grilled Cheese I howsweeteats.com

After the blackberry basil smash grilled cheese graced my plate um, one too many times (whatever that means) for lunch this summer, I was aching for a fall version. Yes. Aching. I get very intense about my lunches.

I was confident that the flavor combination would work – at least with brie cheese – since I’ve made so many caramely-topped brie cheese appetizers in the past. And apples, well they sort of go with almost everything. I think my mom used to make this cream cheese plus caramel plus apple dip of some sort too. And the thing is, with an appropriate amount of cheese and thick multigrain oaty bread and just a smear of caramel, it’s perfectly filling and not TOO carb coma-esque, especially when paired with a little salad or soup. Which is fairly important when it comes to eating at noon, when you have, like, more than half the day left. But whatever. I wouldn’t kick an impromptu afternoon snooze out of bed.

Caramel Apple Grilled Cheese I howsweeteats.com

There is a catch, however.

For this sandwich, you want a GOOD caramel. Like a really good caramel. Thick and creamy. Bite the bullet. Visit the gourmet section of your grocery store and finally cough up something ridiculous like $12.99 for a jar of caramel. Or better yet, try some of this milk chocolate caramel that is spiced and goes perfectly with savory foods (and has my heart for all eternity) and is anything but too thin or runny. Or even make your own. Maybe you have some in your fridge already. Maybe you’re making some right now. Maybe you’re a caramel hoarder. Maybe I’m in love with you then.

Whatever. Just PROMISE me you will use some delicious REAL caramel.

Caramel Apple Grilled Cheese I howsweeteats.com

And then promise me you will join in on my grilled cheese fascination with some crisp and juicy apples. I hate to be alone. We can start a club or something. Meetings and everything. You bring the wine.

Caramel Apple Grilled Cheese I howsweeteats.com

Caramel Apple Grilled Cheese

Yield: serves 2

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

4 slices multigrain bread
2 tablespoons butter
4 ounces brie cheese
1 honeycrisp apple, thinly sliced
3-4 tablespoons of your favorite caramel

Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium-low heat.

Butter the outside slice of each piece of bread, placing two of the buttered-sides down once the skillet is hot. Spread a bit of caramel sauce on the bread, then top with an ounce of brie cheese on both sandwiches. Add a bit more caramel, add the apple slices, and then more caramel and remaining ounce of brie for each. Spread the top piece of bread (sandwich-side down) with caramel too.

Grill or cook on each side until bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted.

Caramel Apple Grilled Cheese I howsweeteats.com

Only the cool kids allowed.

124 Responses to “Caramel Apple Grilled Cheese.”

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — October 2, 2012 @ 3:32 pm

When I saw the title of this post, I was (as I usually am) a little icked out, but….. Brie and apples totally make sense together. Brie, apples and honey is totally normal. So why not brie, apples and caramel? I’m totally on board.

Tanvee — October 2, 2012 @ 4:03 pm

We had a Campus Crusade for Cheese club at my university (ya ferreaalllll). I went to a few meetings; basically, there were meetings every week and you brought a dollar for each time you visited and got to taste all these different cheeses. Best club ever.

• Jessica — October 3rd, 2012 @ 7:12 am

Um that is amazing.

Julia Jolliff — October 2, 2012 @ 4:04 pm

What a great idea!! I am a huge lover of brie and apples go perfectly with it. Make it into a grilled cheese sandwich and it is that much better!

Stacy — October 2, 2012 @ 4:16 pm

Option #2 – leave off the caramel. Add shredded chicken and caramelized onions. I had it with some very sharp cheddar cheese and it was FAB. Must. Have. Again.

• Jessica — October 3rd, 2012 @ 7:13 am

Excellent idea.

JulieD — October 2, 2012 @ 4:18 pm

Holy heck…I love this. Getting my protein and my fruits in…haha. Genius…!!

Lauren — October 2, 2012 @ 5:20 pm

Stop it! Seriously, you have to stop. No..don’t really. :)

Laura — October 2, 2012 @ 5:34 pm

I’ll eat almost anything covered in cheese. I also love caramel. This sandwich is a dream come true!

Kari@Loaves and Dishes — October 2, 2012 @ 5:52 pm

This is like the chick flick of sandwiches. Love it and so will my GFs.

Lauren — October 2, 2012 @ 6:06 pm

Love that you picked the honeycrisp to go with this one. This is why you’re brilliant!

bryn — October 2, 2012 @ 6:14 pm

throw some bacon on there duh!

Jess — October 2, 2012 @ 7:54 pm

Literally dying right now, that is how good this looks!!!! must try ASAP!

Cher @ Weddicted — October 2, 2012 @ 10:16 pm

At first I didn’t think I could do this.. until I saw the first comment about honey and apples working well with cheese.. hmm! If honey can work, perhaps caramel can, too! I shouldn’t knock it ’til I try it right?!

Mckenzie-Rose — October 2, 2012 @ 10:32 pm

What an amazing idea! Can’t wait to try it! ;)

Ruby — October 2, 2012 @ 11:42 pm

I love grilled cheese sandwiches…but with apples, brie, and caramel? GENIUS!

Shanna — October 3, 2012 @ 12:16 am

Are you kidding me? Alll over this. Using some of my beloved salted caramel sauce from Trader Joes too. I love your blog more and more each day. Like for reals

Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker — October 3, 2012 @ 12:49 am

Love this! I had a similar type of sandwich with pears last summer and I keep meaning to make it at home. Obviously, I’ve procrastinated a bit!

Kate — October 3, 2012 @ 7:09 am

A friend and I are obsessed with grilled cheese. We think there should be grilled cheese only restaurants and food trucks and have each given grilled cheese a coveted spot on our personal Top 10 Food and Drink List(s) (do you know how hard it is to make such a list?)
    That said, I’m sure you know the bread selection is critical when making grilled cheese and it looks as if you chose very wisely. What bread did you use? It looks so fab I would be willing to eat it just toasted, without cheese, if I really had to.
    Thanks for the great recipe!

• Jessica — October 3rd, 2012 @ 7:14 am

I think that sounds totally normal.
      I used a multigrain-oat bread that was made by a local bakery here and cut it into thick slices!

• Kerrie — March 5th, 2013 @ 5:09 pm

Kate if you are ever in Baltimore you should check out the Grr Che Food Truck, it’s all kinds of grilled cheese sandwiches! and of course tomato soup!

britainknee — October 3, 2012 @ 7:10 am

This looks great, and I love the inclusion of my favorite autumn product- Honeycrisps!

Rhonda — October 3, 2012 @ 7:33 am

Could u write me a note to stay home from work to make & try this?
    For real? Looks so good…..do not want to leave screen!

Hayley — October 3, 2012 @ 10:13 am

Mine eyes! They’ve just seen possibly the most ridiculously delicious sandwich ever known to man. Forreals, caramel and apples on a grilled cheese? Look, if you’re trying to win my heart, it’s already won.

ChiHa — October 3, 2012 @ 11:37 am

This looks scrumtrulescent!! I want to lock myself in my kitchen with this sandwich , is that wrong?

Jess — October 3, 2012 @ 11:54 am

Just made this for lunch…I used a french baguette (all I had), goat cheese brie, and tj’s fleur de sel caramel. It was delicious! Then I texted a pic to my hubby at work and made him super jealous, bonus! :)

Coco — October 3, 2012 @ 3:29 pm

I am at a loss for words…. FABULOUS!!!!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — October 3, 2012 @ 4:04 pm

This grilled cheese is brilliant!

Moni @ {Moni Meals} — October 3, 2012 @ 4:51 pm

Amazing. What a great combo. I don’t think I’ve had anything quite like this and I can’t wait to try it!! thanks Jessica

Annalise N. — October 4, 2012 @ 12:26 pm

You are KILLING me with all of these caramel recipes. SO GOOD!!

Erin — October 4, 2012 @ 8:13 pm

ughh. I’m sooo joining your grilled-chese-fruit-caramel club.

Kitty — October 5, 2012 @ 9:36 am

Ok . . . I may be having a newborn sleep deprived moment but what chocolate explosion cake? Is there a recipe?? Searched site and didnt find one! This sandwich looks delish as well but I cant read about choclate cake and not get sidetracked!!! oh ps. My husband hearts you for all the bourbon recipes.

emi — October 5, 2012 @ 12:43 pm

you’re making me STARVING!!!

rmd — October 5, 2012 @ 12:45 pm

Love it! I’ve always loved fruit and cheese, but your grilled cheese and fruit fantasy ideas had me literally cooing over many summer lunches and shouting out to all my friends how amazingly delicious these combos were! But now caramel apple inspired….another favorite flavor….and don’t I just have a jar of left over fleur de sel caramel sauce in the fridge just waiting to oblige…Yes. I would like to sign up for the club.

Courtney — October 8, 2012 @ 10:36 am

These were so good. Good like, I stood over the stove and ate it. Straight from the pan. And I am only slightly ashamed to admit that.

Nicole — October 8, 2012 @ 8:20 pm

I have yet to try your recipes (just found you today) but not only am I in love with your appetite and thought process…I crack up reading your blogs. Awesome job! Can’t wait to try this recipe – with pear maybe as the boyfriend is allergic to apples!

Nikki @ Nikki Dinki Cooking — October 9, 2012 @ 9:51 am

What a great combo! Totally making this soon!

Natalie — October 28, 2012 @ 8:46 pm

So I definitely burnt the crap out of my sandwich and substituted caramel for honey (the caramel was too adventurous for me) but it was still AH-MAZING. I will be making this again and I will not burn it, promise. I think it was the bread that did me in, it was too thin…