You want to know the truth?

Homemade Milk Chocolate Cashew Butter I howsweeteats.com

Nut butter is what I make when I feel like making nothing. It doesn’t take much effort to throw some nuts in a large bowl and then watch them spin around some super sharp swirly thing. The closest thing that mirrors effort is trying not to slice your tongue as you lick the blade. Which definitely almost happened to me yesterday. Which was actually after I almost chopped off three of my fingers at three different times.

I learned my lesson and quit while I was ahead. Which is exactly how I got to the whole nut butter thing.

Homemade Milk Chocolate Cashew Butter I howsweeteats.com

I’m being serious though. When I feel like making nothing, I always drag out my food processor. It hasn’t failed me before and is the exact way I ended up with containers of dark chocolate toasted almond macaroon butter and chocolate chip cookie dough peanut butter. There is no shortage of things to spread on toast in this house.

Or to eat with spoons.

One thing I looooathe is when people tell you that OMG this tastes just like “insert food here that can never be replicated without actual food.” !!! But um, this sort of tastes like… something. Maybe frosting? I don’t know. Brownie batter sort of? Not sure again. Either way, it tastes like something really, really good. And I should mention that out of all the nuts, cashews are probably my least favorite. Very weird, I know. But unless they are basically on drugs, like totally spiced up and maybe given a good sugar rub or something, they just don’t do it for me. And since I believe firmly that nuts should be in anything BUT baked goods, I often look for other things to do with them. I mean honestly, I’m convinced that if you like nuts in your cookies and brownies, you are probably 75 years old. And you know, if you are much younger than that and now seriously offended and hate my guts, please don’t. We would make excellent friends. You will probably just love my taste in music.

Homemade Milk Chocolate Cashew Butter I howsweeteats.com

In addition to being the perfect blanket for a spoon, this would make a nice little homemade gift in a cute jar with a cute label, don’t you think? I can’t really be bothered with such things and would rather just bake cookies and throw them on a plate, but some of you crafty people could make the most adorable little surprise out of this.

Me… well, I’ll just eat it.

Finally, you can always count on me to justify that any nut butter is healthy. It’s just the way it works. It’s PROTEIN people. Good fats. Things that are essential to your well being, if you will. You are doing yourself a huge favor here. That’s what I’m trying to say.

Homemade Milk Chocolate Cashew Butter I howsweeteats.com

Milk Chocolate Cashew Butter

Yield: makes about 1/2 cup

Total Time: 15 mintues

Ingredients:

10 ounces raw, unsalted cashews
1 teaspoon coconut oil, melted
2 ounces quality milk chocolate, melted
pinch of salt

Directions:

Add cashews to a high powered food processor and blend until smooth, about 6-8 minutes. Periodically scrape down the sides if needed. Once smooth and buttery, add in the coconut oil and chocolate, blending and scraping again until totally smooth. Add in salt and blend again, tasting to see if it needs more.

Store in a sealed container, preferably in the fridge. I go by the rule though... if I am going to eat it within 3-4 days, I do not refrigerate!

Homemade Milk Chocolate Cashew Butter I howsweeteats.com

I hope you’re convinced.

112 Responses to “Homemade Milk Chocolate Cashew Butter.”

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} — November 29, 2012 @ 1:39 pm

Looks delicious! I’ve never made cashew butter before, but have a big bag of raw cashews just waiting for this recipe.

Jacqueline — November 29, 2012 @ 1:46 pm

If you freeze cashews and blend them with milk and the other exact same ingredients (with the addition of a tablespoon of agave, if desired) you can have a super-rich and delicious “ice cream” to eat a bowl of.

• andrea — December 3rd, 2012 @ 3:35 pm

that’s awesome!

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions — November 29, 2012 @ 2:33 pm

Since you discussed gifting jars of this, I just want to let you know that this food processor-less girl will happily accept gifts of milk chocolate cashew butter. You don’t have to put a cute label on it or anything. You could even send it in a leftover container…you know, like if you had cottage cheese or sour cream or something else that comes in one of those plastic containers and you finished it and didn’t know what to do with the container? Yeah. One of those. I’m not picky. Just demanding in the food department :)

sara — November 29, 2012 @ 3:36 pm

Love, love, love! This looks so easy and so delicious. :)

Kari@Loaves n Dishes — November 29, 2012 @ 3:50 pm

Cashew actually are one of my favorite nuts, along with pecans. I like to top bananas with nut butter for a healthy snack, yum.

Emily @ Emily Eats and Runs — November 29, 2012 @ 4:14 pm

Gosh, that looks so addicting!

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — November 29, 2012 @ 4:34 pm

This actually LOOKS like straight up frosting! I have to disagree with you on the cashew front (I could seriously eat them by the handful if I had just a smidgen less self control), but as long as we’re all on the same page about loving the sound of this chocolate cashew butter, we are totally cool.

Kati — November 29, 2012 @ 4:37 pm

Love the simplicity of this! And the chocolate part of course. I can never find unsalted cashews though :(

Heather (Heather's Dish) — November 29, 2012 @ 4:46 pm

NEED.
    WANT.

anne — November 29, 2012 @ 5:20 pm

oohh, I like nuts in baked goods and I’m not 75 :(

well I wanted to say I was going to try your fat snickerdoodles recipie today until I saw it had no cream of tarter. the name is always so strange to me, but I think it adds that tart flavor, why did you leave it out??

Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen — November 29, 2012 @ 5:50 pm

I don’t know why I don’t make more nut butters…in fact, I’ve never made them at all. I just don’t know if I have the patience to let my food processor work by itself for 6-8 minutes. I think it would drive me bonkers, and I’d be worried that my blade would break since instances like that happen to me on a daily basis. I also love the idea of giving little cute jars of the stuff to friends for gifts, but let’s be honest here…I don’t have the patience for that either. Clearly.

Lauren — November 29, 2012 @ 7:36 pm

I’m so glad you don’t litter your baked goods with nuts. They definitely have a time and place, but I’m not a fan of having them in cookies or brownies.
    This looks great. Cashews are my favorite!

Sarah — November 29, 2012 @ 8:13 pm

Milk Chocolate! So underrated! Sometimes the creamy sweet hug of milk chocolate is bloody perfect, especially when it’s cold out. Looks gorgeous.

Ramona — November 29, 2012 @ 8:39 pm

You can buy raw unsalted cadhres at Trader Joe’s

Ramona — November 29, 2012 @ 8:41 pm

You can buy raw unsalted cashews at Trader Joe’s.

• Sarah D — December 11th, 2012 @ 5:57 pm

Also they have unsalted cashews in bulk at Winco. Steal!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — November 29, 2012 @ 9:50 pm

I’ve never made my own nut butter before. Is it bad that I just don’t want to clean out the bowl of my food processor?

This looks great, though!

Jenna — November 29, 2012 @ 10:10 pm

This looks delish and so easy! Thanks for the idea. This will be great addition to my homemade Christmas goodie baskets!

Stephanie — November 29, 2012 @ 10:17 pm
    Krissy @ Make it Naked — November 29, 2012 @ 11:17 pm

How lazy does it make me if i put a few cashews in my mouth with a handful of chocolate chips and chew real hard?

luv what you do — November 29, 2012 @ 11:33 pm

I love homemade nut butters. Most recently I have been living on homemade peanut butter! This looks amazing! I will have to give it a shot as I have never tried cashew butter before!

Kristen — November 30, 2012 @ 12:38 am

I’ve been meaning to make some kind of nut butter with my blender… cashew’s are my favorite nut! This would be amazing, I’m sure.

Nikki — November 30, 2012 @ 12:53 am

What food processor do you have? Santa is bringing me a new one and I’m the most indecisive person ever!

honeywhatscooking — November 30, 2012 @ 2:36 am

looks amazing Jessica. I love cashew nut butter, I make it at times. I heard it makes a great frosting, wonder how it would taste over a cupcake. I love the chocolate addition.

Jayne — November 30, 2012 @ 4:53 am

I just bought the exact same bread. Does that mean I need some nut butter on it?

SaraM — November 30, 2012 @ 8:01 am

I do this too. Sometimes I add in a little fresh jalapeño for a kick. SUCH FUN!
    – Sara from Ringingthedinnerbell.com

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings — November 30, 2012 @ 9:25 am

that looks so decadent :)

Jenny — November 30, 2012 @ 12:14 pm

What else can be used in place of the coconut oil???? I’m allergic to coconut :’(

Kate G — November 30, 2012 @ 12:27 pm

I’m also a firm believer that nuts should never be in baked goods! This looks supper yum!

Rachel @ Bakerita — November 30, 2012 @ 12:52 pm

That last picture, with it spread on the toast, really did me in.
    I want to grab a slice and (not so gracefully) shove it in my mouth.
    I’m a huge fan of homemade nut butters, and this one doesn’t look any less delicious than any of your others! Yummy.

Lauren — November 30, 2012 @ 1:07 pm

What no love for Baklava, Nut Rolls, Mexican Wedding Cookies, and rugelach. Anyway love your ceramic spoon where did you get it. And cashews are my favorite nut so this is on my make soon list.

Laura — November 30, 2012 @ 1:23 pm

Oh yum, I saw this last night before going to bed and today I knew I had to make it right away. It was sooo yummy! I used cashews, almonds and pumpkin seeds for the nut butter and stevia sweetened organic dark chocolate, which was the perfect match. Thanks so much for sharing this treat! :)

Jayme — November 30, 2012 @ 1:32 pm

Jessica, you’ve done it again and what an easy and delicious holiday gift! Now i need to go out and buy not only a new mini-prep since I just killed mine making this (it was worth it!) but also some fun little mason jars to package up for holiday gifts! Thanks you and the varieties seem endless!

Lydia — November 30, 2012 @ 4:00 pm

What a great holiday treat!! And I love how simple this sounds!! Thank you for sharing!!

Rachel @ The Pescetarian and the Pig — November 30, 2012 @ 6:41 pm

Haha, we’ve just become rivals! Cashews are my absolute favorite nut, and I loooooooathe the consumption of bacon ;)

I love the simplicity of nut butters. And you’re totally like me in the way that when I don’t want to cook, I try to think of what I can create in my blender or food processor. And dang, that’s a brilliant idea to give this as a gift! I think I’m going to do that for a lucky few. Thank you for yet another wonderful idea!

Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen — December 1, 2012 @ 7:20 pm

I was just telling my hubby that cashews are my least favorite nut because they have a weird aftertaste and they’re kind of soft. Not exactly how I think nuts should be.

But I think adding chocolate and processing it would solve all those problems.

I love my food processor and although I haven’t licked the blade yet, I always think I can stick my good spatulas in there with the blade and somehow avoid slicing them up. Sigh. I’m too lazy to pull out the hard spatula that came with it. Maybe I should tape it to my processor so I have no more excuses.

Shelly — December 1, 2012 @ 8:56 pm

You convinced me I need a food processor for Christmas. I have wanted one for years but still don’t have one. Now? I definitely need one!!

cori c — December 2, 2012 @ 1:14 am

My sig. other and I have been together for over ten years,and he still doesn’t understand my relationship with nuts. I try to explain that I like nuts except in my baked goods, but apparently that is complicated and confusing… so I totally get it!

The Food Hound — December 4, 2012 @ 11:28 pm

OH YES! I need to start making my own nut butter (my husband is laughing right now; he’s 5, just FYI). I am way too obsessed with Justin’s, but with the price I need to make it in my own kitchen. I would eat toast every single meal till I used it all up!!

Donna B. — December 5, 2012 @ 12:51 pm

I… I think… I think you just inspired me for one of my christmas gifts to family…
    Oh… oh gosh. Thank you Jessica! ♥

Amanda — January 19, 2013 @ 10:27 am

Oh my my my .. this looks delish! I would like to take spoonfuls of it and shove them in my mouth. :) Hahha, speaking of spoonfulls; where did you get those lovely blue spoons? They’re lovely. Oh, I just said that twice — didn’t it? ;)

Mauve — January 19, 2013 @ 8:06 pm

Jessica, this is amazing. AMAZING. Where in the world do you get these nut-butter recipes?! Your photography is beautiful! I especially love all your NUT BUTTERS!

bianca — February 7, 2013 @ 4:41 pm

can i use also something others than coconut oil?

adele chenoweth — April 20, 2013 @ 9:54 am

would macadamias work as a sub as i have a massive bag in the pantry from some macadmaia anzac biscuits i made last week…

TatianaT — September 10, 2013 @ 7:34 pm

I’m convinced that I need a food processor.

Heather — September 11, 2013 @ 1:44 am

I dont have high powered food processer, can I use blender instead? Will it make any difference? Thanks.