Sooooo yeah. I did this.

Homemade Irish Cream Liqueur I

Actually, let me tell you what I’ve been doing on Christmas break. It’s not like I even have a Christmas break, but whatever. My 12-year old self will never be able to get over the fact that I don’t have a good week or two off around the holidays. Same goes for summer vacations. I pretty much schedule my world around “school nights.” I’m forever in seventh grade.

But here’s what I’ve been doing: making a lot of booze. My cousin Lacy and I made candy cane vodka and homemade amaretto. Then I figured why the heck stop there? I also started running out of those things and wanted more.

So I did this.

Homemade Irish Cream Liqueur I

It was fabulous. It’s so thick and rich and creamy. Like all of us, it gets better with age. And I’m pretty sure it’s exactly how you should spend the last weekend of 2012.

Homemade Irish Cream Liqueur I

Homemade Irish Cream Liqueur

Yield: makes about 5 cups

Total Time: 10 minutes

5 ounces high-quality milk chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 cups Irish whiskey
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon instant coffee

Melt chocolate over a double boiler or in the microwave, stirring until totally smooth. Add to a large bowl and whisk in a few tablespoons of whiskey, stirring until combined. It may separate a bit, which is fine. Whisk in the condensed and evaporated milks until smooth and creamy, then whisk in the remaining whiskey, instant coffee and cream. The instant coffee and chocolate may not totally disolve at first, but it will as it sits.

Pour mixture in a large pitcher, bottle or a few separate jars and refrigerate. This is best after it sits for a few days, but we drank it immediately and it was still delicious. Just make sure to shake and stir the mixture every few hours (or even once/twice a day) so everything dissolves and meshes together. Serve on the rocks or in coffee!

[lightly adapted from allrecipes]

Homemade Irish Cream Liqueur I

Are you with me?

89 Responses to “Homemade Irish Cream Liqueur.”

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — December 28, 2012 @ 8:25 am

Ohhhhh, what a great idea!!! From your pictures, I want to create a Irish Cream Milkshake!!!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — December 28, 2012 @ 8:27 am

Heck yes! Perfect for the holidays….or anytime after noon. Yum!

JoAnn C. — December 28, 2012 @ 8:33 am

Wow! And Thank You

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — December 28, 2012 @ 8:44 am

Oh yes, TOTALLY with you! And I want some now.. yes, at 8am. ;)

Heather @ SugarDish(Me) — December 28, 2012 @ 8:52 am

Brilliant!! My friend and I made every kind of vodka imaginable a few years back and then taste tested all of them by the pool. We seriously filled her fridge with a bunch of sun-tea pitchers stuffed with fresh fruit and vodka. So good. But I’ve never tried to make cream liquor! I am soooo doing this.

Brie @ Entrée the Giant — December 28, 2012 @ 8:57 am

I’d kill to have some of that in my morning coffee, which now seems a little lackluster, by the way ;)

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — December 28, 2012 @ 9:17 am

This is like the holidays in a cup. Yummm

LisaG — December 28, 2012 @ 9:25 am

Oh how yummy! I’ve always wanted to make lemoncello; it’s so refreshing.

• Stacey — December 28th, 2012 @ 6:22 pm

Tracy at has a fabulous Lemoncello recipe! My whole family loved it!

Kare @ Kitchen Treaty — December 28, 2012 @ 9:55 am

I’ve always wanted to try making homemade Baileys! I wouldn’t have thought it would include chocolate. All the better. Yummm.

Noelle (@singerinkitchen) — December 28, 2012 @ 10:12 am

Why am I pregnant??? I cannot partake of these things!!!

Jenna — December 28, 2012 @ 10:18 am

Yum! This sounds delightful in everyway! Btw your photos have me craving ice cubes badly #random

jessica lynn — December 28, 2012 @ 10:24 am

i want this so bad right now i could cry. Alas, I need to wait 9 more weeks for this baby to come out. I think I’ll see if the husband will make it for me once she’s born. Bailey’s is one of the cravings I’ve had throughout this pregnancy. YUM.

Chloe Moon — December 28, 2012 @ 10:36 am

I’ve never been a big fan of irish cream…BUT wow, this sounds mighty tastey!!! =)

Ergo – Blog

Kim in MD — December 28, 2012 @ 10:37 am

I’m in! I love homemade liqueurs. I’ve made cranberry vodka, limoncello, and Kaluha- all were so delicious! I can’t wait to try this. Thanks for sharing, Jessica!

Sue — December 28, 2012 @ 10:40 am

I make a drink called “Nuts and Berries”, with Irish Cream, Frangelica and Chambord. This would be perfect for it!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — December 28, 2012 @ 10:51 am

For some reason I thought you had already done the homemade Baileys. Must have had it confused with the amaretto but am so glad you did it! I love Baileys and it’s been on my to-recreate at home list for awhile now. Yours looks like creamy perfection!

Little Kitchie — December 28, 2012 @ 10:55 am

YES. Thank you for this.

Denise & Laura — December 28, 2012 @ 11:03 am

This looks delicious! I will for sure have to try this!

Sabatino - — December 28, 2012 @ 11:24 am

I’m pretty sure this will find it’s way in to my morning coffee every morning from now until ever. Thanks for making my day a little more relaxing.

joelle (on a pink typewriter) — December 28, 2012 @ 11:30 am

I didn’t even know it was possible to make this homemade. I must live a sheltered life.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — December 28, 2012 @ 11:39 am

If you were standing in front of me I would give you a huge hug and then down a whole lotta this while we gossiped about life.

That is all :)

Heather @ girlyeverafter — December 28, 2012 @ 12:19 pm

I’m usually a beer or red wine girl myself, but Irish cream is one of my guilty pleasures in the winter months. I like to think of it as adult milkshakes and that is never a bad thing.

Erin @ The Speckled Palate — December 28, 2012 @ 12:38 pm

Welp, I know what I’m doing when I get home on Sunday… This looks like a milkshake and definitely something I need to have to drink after all this travel we’ve been doing!

Merrill — December 28, 2012 @ 12:55 pm

OOOhh!! I’m intrigued… I bet it is good in coffee and then use whatever is left to make those amazing Bailey’s marshmallows! Holy Cow!

Theresa Sea — December 28, 2012 @ 1:09 pm

That’s awesome, b/c I made irish cream for my Gram for Xmas, and was going to attmept Tracy’s amaretto recipe for NYE! Great minds think alike! :)

a farmer in the dell — December 28, 2012 @ 1:15 pm

I was planning on doing a drinking cleanse for the next few days! Why did you post this???? I am breaking the cleanses and totally giving this a whirl. Sounds awesome!

Mandie @ Oh So Decadent — December 28, 2012 @ 2:04 pm

Well this might just be the greatest thing I have ever seen! It looks beyond delicious :).

Michelle — December 28, 2012 @ 2:31 pm

Guess who wants to pour this in her cereal? Breakfast of champions!

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — December 28, 2012 @ 4:10 pm

WHY AM I WASTING ALL MY MONEY ON KALUHA is what I would like to know. This is so much better!! Does it always need to be in the fridge? Because it’d make a fantastic gift too!

tracy — December 28, 2012 @ 6:48 pm

I NEED THIS. And I’m so glad i helped get you boozy this Christmas!!! That’s freaking awesome.

Jamie — December 28, 2012 @ 8:49 pm

Ok, so I just pinned something like this a few weeks ago from a German blog and no one would help me translate it!! I am so excited that now I have something similar in English!! My husband likes to make dirty eggnog and I need this! Thanks!

Emily — December 28, 2012 @ 8:52 pm

I am making that this weekend! I have one week left before this semester starts and I plan to have that in my coffee at least twice. I got a bottle of Patron coffee liqour for a Christmas gift and I think the two would taste amazing together!

Jenny — December 28, 2012 @ 10:30 pm

I just tried putting Bailey’s in my tea (Irish Breakfast, to be exact) last night and loved it. How fortuitous to come across this today. I will totally be trying this!! :)

Factory Wheels and Rims — December 29, 2012 @ 12:39 am

Thanks for reciepe of Irish Cream Liqueur.Thanks for the instant drink.

Robbin Colandrea — December 29, 2012 @ 1:05 am

Looks amazing, I totally cheat and make the easy at home version of Baileys, two cans evap. milk, 2 cans sweet cond. milk, 2 table spoons vanilla, 1/2 c chocolate syrup, 1.5 cups whiskey, shake and serve over ice, in coffee or over ice cream…yours would be much richer with the melted chocolate and heavy cream…might have to make a batch like this as an extra treat!!

Natalie — December 29, 2012 @ 1:17 am

OMG this looks incredible! I love irish cream, so delicious!

Chelsea — December 29, 2012 @ 9:51 am

I made baileys for Christmas gifts this year, but, um, only ended up giving it away to one person. I may have sampled too much of it before it left the blender, then decided to keep most of it for myself.

Ross @ TheFaceBaby — December 29, 2012 @ 3:51 pm

Well obviously this looks delicious … but are those ice cubes even real life? You didn’t tell me you moonlight as an ice sculptor.

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — December 29, 2012 @ 4:32 pm

Why did you do this to me? I have to make this now!!! Looks easy and awesome. I too made Tracy’s candy cane vodka, it was a huge hit!

Katie@Cozydelicious — December 29, 2012 @ 7:43 pm

Oh wow! This looks amazing. I adore Baily’s but have never thought to make my own. Yum!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — December 29, 2012 @ 9:08 pm

Totally IN! Love this!

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) — December 29, 2012 @ 10:26 pm

Yummo! I bet this would be great to add to a bunch of fun drinks throughout the year too! And its probably very impressive on its own too.

Vicki H. — December 30, 2012 @ 8:05 am

okay, I saw this the morning I was prepping for my annual liquor exchange…I happened to have all the ingredients on hand, so gave it a try…OMG! LOVE IT! I love it more than I love Bailey’s! I had some Ghiradelli double chocolate melting chocolates (from Sam’s) and it is definitely darker than yours – looks more like chocolate milk, but is so thick and creamy you want to die! I usually have to ice down my Bailey’s, but not this baby! If I wasn’t working, I’d add it to my coffee this morning! Thanks!

Elizabeth @ The Collegiate Baker — December 30, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

Oh my gosh. I can’t believe you made this! It sounds so good. :)

Brooke — December 30, 2012 @ 10:59 pm

I just made this and it is delicious. I’m wondering how long it is good to stay in the refrigerator?

Natalie @ In Natalie's Shoes — December 31, 2012 @ 3:24 pm

Thanks for giving me a great idea for next year’s Christmas gifts! This sounds delish!

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — December 31, 2012 @ 7:55 pm

I am soooo with you. I had no idea you could make Irish cream at home……or else I would have made 100 vats of it by now :P

SaraM — December 31, 2012 @ 10:42 pm

It R.O.C.K.E.D.
    I mistakenly used SCOTCH whiskey instead of IRISH and the taste was a little overpowering for me, so I needed to add in some more milk (I used 1/4 cup of whole at a time until it tasted ‘right’ – I ended up needing 1/2 cup) and I thought my version needed just a pinch more coffee boost, so I added in a scant 1/4 tsp more insta-caffeine.

tracy {pale yellow} — January 1, 2013 @ 8:33 pm

All holidays should be boozy! I think I pinned 5 recipes for homemade Bailey’s, I don’t know what is stopping me!

Julie — January 1, 2013 @ 11:52 pm

Delish in hot chocolate too! And for the times you don’t have milk chocolate on hand, chocolate syrup works as a pretty solid substitute =]

1. Pingback: I was *supposed* to eat salad today | Ringing The Dinner Bell

2. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookie Bailey’s Milkshakes. | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Homemade Irish Cream The Food Bitch Blog

4. Pingback: Weekend Things «

5. Pingback: Samedi Sommaire 1.4: Snow day! | Untethered as a Cloud

6. Pingback: A Shot of the Good Stuff | I Spy with My Idiosyncratic Eye …

7. Pingback: Design Crush » Gone Green

8. Pingback: Homemade Baileys Irish Cream

9. Pingback: St. Patrick’s Day: Homemade Bailey’s | spontaneity or second guesses

10. Pingback: Whiskey Girl | Confessions of a Human Vacuum

11. Pingback: Football Food! [135 Recipes For Football Season.] | How Sweet It Is

12. Pingback: Homemade Irish Cream (A.K.A. Baileys) | Fat Girl Trapped in a Skinny Body

13. Pingback: Holiday Gift Guide: Homemade Presents. | How Sweet It Is

14. Pingback: Holiday Gift Guide: 33 DIY Homemade Presents. | pinmeplease

15. Pingback: Friday Favorites, 2013: Week 49 | Okay, Kaye?

16. Pingback: The Boys Club | Your Weekly Internet Cocktail Hour

17. Pingback: Homemade Bailey’s Irish Cream | How Sweet It Is | Le Vo Cafe

18. Pingback: Homemade Bailey's Irish Cream |

19. Pingback: 42 Cocktails for the Holiday - Savvy Eats

20. Pingback: Fawned Friday: The Best Dinner Compliment Ever | So Fawned Lifestyle

21. Pingback: Homemade Irish Cream |