I don’t mean to be misleading. But.

Roasted Red Pepper + Bacon Goat Cheese Truffles I howsweeteats.com

I made truffles with cheese.

Okay, whatever. Not REAL truffles. Not like the smoked blue cheese truffle I ate in Oregon this past summer (OMG.). Not like a truffle with goat cheese and chocolate (though that may be forthcoming.). I know. You don’t need to tell me.

I made a little truffle made with some of the best flavors ever. Bacon, roasted red peppers, garlic… you know, stuff like that.

Roasted Red Pepper + Bacon Goat Cheese Truffles I howsweeteats.com

My cousin actually made these for Thanksgiving and they were phenomenal. Granted she made them with dried cranberries and stuffed the center with an injection of honey, but are you even surprised that I trashed them up with bacon?

No. No, you’re not. Of course.

You know me so well!

Roasted Red Pepper + Bacon Goat Cheese Truffles I howsweeteats.com

Okay, but wait. Let’s talk about how these are quite possibly the cutest little Christmas appetizer ever. Right?! They have the red and green going on… so totally festive. Leave them out for Santa. I mean, it’s 2012, Santa probably eats goat cheese by now.

If not, he should.

Roasted Red Pepper + Bacon Goat Cheese Truffles I howsweeteats.com

Oh also, since it’s 2012, is it really appropriate to be talking about a large man with a white beard creeping in your house at night? That sets off all sorts of alarms in my head. I was scared to death of Santa as a kid anyway. No, seriously. I think I made both of my brothers sleep in my room on Christmas Eve until I was 13 or so. True life.

So maybe this year, we can do something like set these goat cheese truffles inside our mailbox, and then Santa can drop off some presents at the top of the driveway?

Yeah. I like that better.

Roasted Red Pepper + Bacon Goat Cheese Truffles I howsweeteats.com

Roasted Red Pepper + Bacon Goat Cheese Truffles

Yield: makes 15-18 truffles

Total Time: 45 minutes

8 ounces plain goat cheese, softened
1/2 cup chopped roasted red pepper
3 slices thick-cut bacon, fried and chopped
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3/4 cup pistachios, chopped and crushed

In a large bowl, combine softened goat cheese with peppers, bacon, garlic salt and pepper. Using a large spoon, spatula or even your hands, mix and stir until combined well and everything seems equally distributed through the goat cheese.

Roll the goat cheese into 1/2-1 inch balls (or smaller or larger, depending on your preference), then roll through the pistachios to coat. Set on a plate and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. These can be made well ahead of time - I'd say at least about 3 days.
Store in the fridge!

Note: you can roast your own peppers or use jarred roasted reds. You just want about 1/2 cup of chopped peppers. I also think some fresh herbs would be perfect in there.

Roasted Red Pepper + Bacon Goat Cheese Truffles I howsweeteats.com

I’m such a nutcase that all I can think of is frying these little things up. Ummmm… yes.

101 Responses to “Roasted Red Pepper + Bacon Goat Cheese Truffles.”

Kristi @ Cherry Jasmine — December 6, 2012 @ 9:34 am

Wow – these look delicious! I can’t wait to try them this weekend. Looks like a great appetizer for the holidays. Yum!

nicole @ I am a Honey Bee — December 6, 2012 @ 6:39 pm

I think I would rather have this kind of truffe than a chocolate one.

Sarah — December 6, 2012 @ 8:29 pm

I love this idea! Great for friends who don’t have a sweet tooth.

Ross @ TheFaceBaby — December 6, 2012 @ 11:24 pm

“trashed them up with bacon” … you funny, girl.

Annette — December 7, 2012 @ 8:56 am

I love bacon and can’t wait to make these.
    But i also love cranberries, so I am hoping that you will share that recipe too. :)

Kevin (Closet Cooking) — December 7, 2012 @ 10:38 am

These savoury truffles sound so good!

peaceterri — December 7, 2012 @ 12:12 pm

HOLY MERRY CHRISTMAS ya you got the good stuff baby!! Blessings Jessica!

Suzanne Perazzini — December 8, 2012 @ 1:29 am

Those look perfect for our Friday night drinks. I will give them a try.

Meredith — December 8, 2012 @ 1:46 pm

These are so yummy! I just made them with marinated roasted red peppers and drizzled a little honey on top to cut the goat cheese taste. I love your blog!

Blake — December 8, 2012 @ 2:12 pm

Love these. Will have to add them to my christmas menu!

Kacy — December 9, 2012 @ 9:11 pm

Those are genius. And adorable.

Laura — December 9, 2012 @ 10:18 pm

Yum! What a great idea! Pinning!

Melissa — December 14, 2012 @ 8:13 am

I made these for my friends last night and everyone raved about them. They were so easy to make! I’m adding these to my favourites list!

Kristi @cherryjasmine — December 15, 2012 @ 8:20 pm

We tried these today, and they were FABULOUS1 I was so grateful to find this recipe – I’m going to a Tea Party tomorrow, and I needed to bring something savory. These are YUM.

Jessie — December 31, 2012 @ 9:18 pm

Just fell upon your blog and I am in love! I must say this recipe looks so unique and I can’t wait to try it!

Hannah — January 22, 2013 @ 12:57 am

I made these for the fam the other night and my brother ate over half of them. So needless to say, they were good. I used a scant cup of roasted red peppers and I would probably reduce it to a quarter cup next time. I couldn’t really taste the bacon and the pepper over powered it. Or I’ll just nix the bacon next time and throw some parmesan cheese in instead. Thanks for the great and easy recipe!

Savu Claudiu — October 15, 2013 @ 6:32 am

They look nice and I think they taste good !

Jenny — December 23, 2013 @ 8:37 pm

Yum! What crackers did you serve them with? I can’t wait to try them!

Cindy — December 31, 2013 @ 3:10 am

Just made these for a NYE app for tomorrow! They are DELICIOUS!!! I made the balls small because they are pretty rich. I may have added a little bit extry of bakun!!!

Get Extraordinary Birthday Gifts — February 10, 2014 @ 7:30 am

I have tried these truffles so many times at my home. It tastes so yummy.

Fresh Truffle Butter — February 12, 2014 @ 7:55 am

Yummy!!!! I can’t wait to try this recipy. Thanks for sharing.

Fresh Truffle Products in Australia — February 15, 2014 @ 2:54 am

It looks yummy. This is a must-try truffle ball recipe! Thanks for sharing!

three feathers — April 2, 2014 @ 6:18 am

made these for super bowl party and am glad i “sampled” them before taking them, b/c i came home with a totally empty dish; i was a smart cookie, i had printed off your recipe and was able to hand it out…..it would be awesome if you would share the cranberry truffle you mentioned your cuz made….we’re bacon and cranberry fiends around here. THANK YOU for sharing, feel free to “trash up” with bacon any time ;0)

Buy Delicious and Fresh Cheese — August 19, 2014 @ 7:00 am

Just staring at your photos made me hungry! I can’t wait to try out this delicious recipe!

Liza Quigley — December 14, 2014 @ 8:25 pm

these look amazing and I’m going to make them for next weekend. Did you toast the pistachios? I’m wondering how that would be. How many little balls did the recipe make?

Gary Mims — February 18, 2015 @ 8:02 pm

This is a great recipe. I think in needs a few tweaks. First, a suggestion of what kind of red pepper to use would be useful. I live in Texas and peppers here come in hot and hotter. I found a red pepper, which I was not familiar with to try. Actually it was hotter than a jalapeno. That said, green peppers like mild jalapenos would work, but certainly nothing as wimpy as a bell pepper. Second point is rolling the truffles into balls. After creaming the ingredients together in the goat cheese, it is difficult to work with. Did I buy the wrong kind of goat cheese–like too soft? The solution I found was to put the mixture into the freezer to stiffen the mixture up and then to scoop–like an ice cream scoop–up with a teaspoon and forming the ball before rolling it into the chopped pistachios. Don’t get me wrong this is a great recipe, but when the pepper is too hot, it overrides the bacon and goat cheese flavors..

Gary — March 20, 2015 @ 10:05 am

Frying was mentioned. I’d try blending the nuts with panko and roll them in it for a crust. Then put them in the freezer before frying them. Kind of like when they do the goat cheese medallions on salads (Ina Garner}

Mary L — June 20, 2015 @ 8:08 pm

Seriously? These were the most disgusting things I have ever put in my mouth.