I have a huge confession.

Whole Wheat Coffee Cake Muffins I howsweeteats.com

I don’t really like coffee cake.

I mean, I like it, but I don’t. It’s not what I would choose in a moment of spontaneous hunger. It would never be picked over a doughnut, which I am apparently obsessed with now. (Crap.) I would never actually eat it while I drink coffee, which just confuses me. It probably wouldn’t be my first choice.

Let’s just say that.

Whole Wheat Coffee Cake Muffins I howsweeteats.com

However, if offered a piece I wouldn’t turn it down. Does this make sense? I am a very complex person. Clearly.

Complex and insane.

Then again, I wouldn’t turn down most edible items handed to me unless they started with a b and ended with a roccoli.

Seemingly, I might be in one of those changing-taste-buds phases because now I think I do like coffee cake. BUT. Only in muffin form. I don’t want your square slice of coffee cake covered in streusel. I just want this muffin.

Whole Wheat Coffee Cake Muffins I howsweeteats.com

Something about these just made me totally giddy.

Maybe it was the way I piled batter upon streusel upon batter in the muffin tin, taking my chances of overflow. Maybe it is because they are whole wheat but you seriously can’t tell at all, promise and swear. Mean it. Maybe it’s because they actually have a little streusel-type swirl going through the centers which… ahhhh!… was like the best thing I’ve had for breakfast in ages. Simple things excite me.

Like muffins.

streusel filling + topping
3/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl, mix together brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt for the streusel topping. Cut in cold butter pieces using a fork or your fingers, until small crumbs remain. Set aside.

In a smaller bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. In a larger bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar until smooth, then add in yogurt. Whisk for a minute or two (it will start out lumpy!) until combined and light in color, then whisk in cooled butter. Fold in the dry ingredients just until combined. Do not overmix!

Line a muffin tin with liners or spray well with nonstick spray. Fill the muffin tins almost halfway full with batter, then sprinkle with some of the streusel topping. Add another few tablespoons of batter on top, making sure to slightly press down so the top and bottom batters meet (or else the muffins will sort of separate easily). Top with another handful of the streusel topping.

Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden on top. Serve hot with butter!

[adapted from food network magazine, december 2012]

Whole Wheat Coffee Cake Muffins I howsweeteats.com

Now please come eat breakfast with me.

79 Responses to “Whole Wheat Coffee Cake Muffins.”

Liz — December 4, 2012 @ 7:56 am

I’m not a coffee cake fan either – but those coffee cake muffins? YES, PLEASE! Go figure.

jessica lynn — December 4, 2012 @ 7:58 am

Goodness gracious these look fantastic. I’m a sucker for coffee cake, so I need to make these ASAP.

Danijela — December 4, 2012 @ 8:04 am

Coffee cake or muffins, it’s same or me, as longs as they’re sweet. :)

Harper — December 4, 2012 @ 8:18 am

It’s like you are determined to ruin my grocery budget every day…. not that I really have a problem with it.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — December 4, 2012 @ 8:23 am

I wouldn’t choose coffee cake in a moment of spontaneous hunger either, but I WOULD be that annoying person that goes and picks the streusel off the top! These look beautiful!

Lia — December 4, 2012 @ 8:24 am

If I had Greek yogurt at home right now id
    Be making these this morning when I get off
    Work (night nurse). Luckily, for my waste i don’t:

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — December 4, 2012 @ 8:24 am

The streusel in the muffins makes these a huge win!

Stephanie — December 4, 2012 @ 8:39 am

the best part of coffee cake are the crumbs so i’m in love with the fact you put them everywhere, There’s actually a breakfast place near us that does griddled coffee cake, and it actually comes in two pieces, a huge honking piece of crumbs (we’re talking like at least 2 inches thick here) and a chunk of cake, both sizzling hot with a great crunch from the griddle on both sides. it’s yummy for sure, but not even the tip of the iceberg at that place. if you’re ever visiting near the Belmar area at the Jersey Shore, check out The Buttered Biscuit. You might wait, but the food is awesome.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — December 4, 2012 @ 8:40 am

Coffee cake is too good…and in muffin form?! Love.

Rachel — December 4, 2012 @ 8:53 am

I love coffee cake! And the muffins are so cute

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — December 4, 2012 @ 8:58 am

Love coffee cake especially loaded with brown sugar streusel filling! Yummy!!

Ashley — December 4, 2012 @ 9:38 am

Love love love coffee cake!! There is a coffee cake doughnut in the book, so maybe that will turn you into a convert. :)

Rachel — December 4, 2012 @ 9:55 am

These look great!! And I love that they are whole wheat too! Would a flavored Greek yogurt be okay to substitute, like vanilla? Or do you have another suggestions if I don’t have Greek yogurt? Thanks!

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots — December 4, 2012 @ 9:58 am

I loveeeee coffee cake!! the coffee cake muffins from dunkin donuts are the best things ever! I cant wait to make these!

Katie — December 4, 2012 @ 10:10 am

I think coffee cake might be my favorite or all favorites. (I’d probably say that about 10 versions of cake). These just went to the tippy top of my list of things to make.

deva at deva by definition — December 4, 2012 @ 10:10 am

I love coffee cake but if it’s not cut up I am less likely to eat it. This comes from dining hall breakfasts in college where the coffee cake, donuts, and even oatmeal packets were all put into and on serving dishes for you to grab and go.

Mandie @ Oh So Decadent — December 4, 2012 @ 10:34 am

I can honestly say I am a coffee cake freak, because I am a streusel freak. But even so, I’ve never had one that had streusel swirled inside the cake. This sounds like perfection! And everything tastes good in muffin form. I’m sure someone could get you to eat broccoli if it was in muffin form :).

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — December 4, 2012 @ 11:06 am

Yeah, I never eat coffee cake with coffee either. That swirl going through the center is amazing!!!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — December 4, 2012 @ 11:08 am

The reason I dont like most coffee cake is that it’s dry! I did a post last week talking about it – that the reason I think it got its name is b/c it’s so darn dry that you have to have tons of coffee to wash it all down! I also think streusel topping is mandatory with it, too. Love these!

Erin — December 4, 2012 @ 11:12 am

This totally makes sense. There are many foods I’m not crazy about, but wouldn’t turn them down if offered, like cinnamon rolls, mixed nuts or gummi bears.

Amanda @ The Unfamiliar Kitchen — December 4, 2012 @ 11:14 am

Way to make coffee cake a wayyy less guilty option. The yogurt is genius

Julie @ NaClKItchen — December 4, 2012 @ 11:29 am

I can eat just about anything with coffee… or maybe I should say, I can drink coffee with just about anything. But these muffins seem like quite the breakfast meal. And they are whole wheat. I’m wishing I had one right now (and another cup of coffee)!

little kitchie — December 4, 2012 @ 11:36 am

I’m with you – most coffee cake is meh, at best. It’s usually so dry! But this muffin form sounds much more promising! And much healthier too!

Alicia Greenrabbit — December 4, 2012 @ 11:41 am

Oh Great ,I just popped Blueberry muffins in the oven ,now i have to make these while the oven is hot………put another pot of coffee on…………….

teresa — December 4, 2012 @ 11:58 am

Love it that these are made with whole wheat flour Jessica!
    The perfect little muffin!

Christina @ BeMindfulBe Human.com — December 4, 2012 @ 12:11 pm

These look great. Mine usually turn out dry. Yours looks moist and delicious. Thx for the recipe.

bridget {bake at 350} — December 4, 2012 @ 12:11 pm

I’m heading over right now!

Iris — December 4, 2012 @ 12:27 pm

I have this hang up about eating sweet stuff for breakfast, but I may need to make an exception for this ;) Looks delicious!

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} — December 4, 2012 @ 12:54 pm

Amazing! I looove coffee cake and haven’t had it in forever. It seems perfect in muffin form!

my honest answer — December 4, 2012 @ 1:20 pm

Am I being super stupid? I can’t see coffee anywhere in the recipe?!

• Jessica — December 4th, 2012 @ 1:37 pm

hahah – coffee cake is just a term used for a cake with some streusel. you can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_cake

• my honest answer — December 5th, 2012 @ 5:43 pm

Ahhh it’s a language thing! Thanks for explaining. In the uk coffee cake means cake with coffee IN it! You can see why I was perplexed…

Maria — December 4, 2012 @ 1:35 pm

I want to come eat breakfast with you!

Tara — December 4, 2012 @ 1:55 pm

Ya, ya, ya….just like you dont like Coffee, right?! : )

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats — December 4, 2012 @ 2:09 pm

I looove coffee cake! hah Its probably one of my favorite..as long as there is extra extra crumb topping!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — December 4, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

How can you not like coffee cake??!!! I’m coming to your house for breakfast :) I love it…

A farmer in the dell — December 4, 2012 @ 2:31 pm

I am a coffee cake lover! These look like a winner. Thanks for the recipe!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — December 4, 2012 @ 3:18 pm

I, on the other hand, LOVE coffee cake. And muffins. And anything whole wheat. So… I had to stop myself from licking my screen.

Ruby @ The Ruby Red Apron — December 4, 2012 @ 3:27 pm

I would not turn down these coffee cake muffins!

Kim in MD — December 4, 2012 @ 3:49 pm

It’s funny that you mention you don’t like coffee cake, because I don’t really like it, either. I think I have eaten it once or twice in my life, and I don’t remember it being all that great. These coffee cake muffins look and sound delicious, though!

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — December 4, 2012 @ 3:52 pm

Well I love coffee cake, so there is no doubt in my mind I would love these muffins. And I would just use the whole wheat flour as an excuse to eat twice as many.

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — December 4, 2012 @ 3:52 pm

When I say I am a fan of coffee cake, I really mean that I am a fan of streusel. The actual cake part? I can do without it.

Which is why I love that you mixed your streusel topping in with the muffins. Sounds amazing!

Joelle (on a pink typewriter) — December 4, 2012 @ 4:04 pm

Yum! I actually only like the topping of the coffee cake… Kinda like how I only like the top of muffins…. Soooo this works out perfectly!

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions — December 4, 2012 @ 4:07 pm

I’ll come eat breakfast with you!! I love coffee cake and I love muffins, so these sound like heaven.

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food — December 4, 2012 @ 4:20 pm

Yum! I love coffee cake so these need to be in my face right now. :)

[New Balance] Nicole — December 4, 2012 @ 4:35 pm

This looks so yummy! Definitely adding this to my Christmas break baking list!

Julia Jolliff — December 4, 2012 @ 4:43 pm

These looks delicious! Perfect for a morning (Christmas morning?!). Yum!

Emily @ Emily Eats and Runs — December 4, 2012 @ 4:55 pm

These look fantastic! I’m trying these next weekend. I love the layer of streusel in the middle! The crumbs are basically the only reason I like crumb cake :)

Kelly — December 4, 2012 @ 7:59 pm

So if I really think about it, I don’t think I have actually ever tasted coffee cake. I can not for the life of think of what it tastes like which is odd because prior to reading this post I hadn’t ever thought it. Ever. But these muffins look delicious and muffins are never considered cake in my opinion so they are waaaaaay healthier. :)

Sarah — December 4, 2012 @ 9:04 pm

Coffee cake is not really a thing here is Australia! But I’ve made it and loved it, and I think I might make it and love it again!

Ross @ TheFaceBaby — December 4, 2012 @ 11:27 pm

I’m not a huge coffee-caker either, but our favorite local breakfast joint (Beach Break Cafe) has the best coffee cake I’ve ever had (until I try these, of course). Apparently, and I say apparently because I swear Cassie just makes things up sometimes, Beach Break and the state prison are the only places that can get this coffee cake from the supplier. It doesn’t make any sense, but it’s delicious.

Nikki @Pennies on a Platter — December 5, 2012 @ 12:00 am

I actually am a huge coffee cake fan, and WITH coffee. lol! Not sure about whole wheat, though, but you’re making me want to try!

1. Pingback: Tuesday Things #SkinnySnowman « lifes little epiphanies…

2. Pingback: Please make these right now. | Films, Food, and Beer

3. Pingback: Just Another Wednesday | Raising Chaos

4. Pingback: Streusel Coffee Cake Muffins « Oh Shine On

5. Pingback: >Nutella Stuffed Wholewheat Banana Coffee Cake Muffins | Butter Baking

6. Pingback: >Pumpkin Streusel Layered Sheet Cake with White Chocolate Drizzle | Butter Baking

7. Pingback: Whole Wheat Coffee Cake Muffins | oh so decadent

8. Pingback: Cheer Ktchen - Whole Wheat Coffee Cake Muffins

9. Pingback: Whole Wheat Coffee Cake Muffins | Cool Cooking School

10. Pingback: Whole Wheat Coffee Cake Muffins | Home Chef de Cuisine

11. Pingback: Pomegranate Molasses Coffee Cake | How Sweet It Is

12. Pingback: Pomegranate Molasses Coffee Cake. | pinmeplease

13. Pingback: 75+ Super-Skinny Breakfast Recipes

14. Pingback: 20 Muffin Recipes Worth Waking Up For | Gymrat Fitness

15. Pingback: 10 Easy Brunch Recipes to Make for Mother's Day - Perfect Your Lifestyle

16. Pingback: 10 Easy Brunch Recipes to Make for Mother’s Day – Healthy Lifestyles

17. Pingback: 10 Easy Brunch Recipes to Make for Mother's Day - FabFitFun