I made you a meal.

Broiled Salmon and Roasted Garlic Cream Noodles with Crispy Cauliflower + Toasted Pine Nuts I howsweeteats.com

Like an entire freaking meal. It’s dinner… could be lunch, but most likely dinner. It’s warm and kind of comforting like dinner is supposed to be. Dinner shouldn’t ever have to be salads. I know it occasionally does, but ugh. Depression city. Salads are cool and crisp and don’t hit your soul. Salads are like the ice queens of dinner. Salads should take a long walk off a short pier.

Wait. Do you consider this a meal if there isn’t a large quantity of vegetables? I do, but, I mean… I live in my own little world. Decide as you wish.

I know this dish has a lot going on, but you can still have it done within 45 minutes, maybe even sooner if you’re a wiz in the kitchen. And the flavors… wowza. You can roast the cauliflower and boil the pasta and toast the pine nuts and whip together the garlic cream all at the same time… you’re just going to be utilizing your entire range. Hey! That’s what those big things are for. Right right.

If you’re too overwhelmed by my ridiculously long title and decide to just make a portion of the recipe, it’s gotta be the roasted garlic cream sauce. ohhmahhgahhhhh. ^&%#$%@. Don’t even know what to say about that because it’s just nuts. I made an extremely large batch of homemade roasted garlic oil (gonna tell you alllll about it soon) and was thankfully left with – tons of roasted garlic. We are talking tons. Like 10 heads worth. Since I’m such a fan this has been a fabulous problem to have. So first up: turn it into a cream sauce.

Man. It was incredibly delicious.

Oh. And I only took four pictures because I almost ate my arm off. Well that’s a lie. I took, like, 40 pictures and only four turned out. But whatever. I was still starving and blame my shaky arm on my hangry appetite. The photo gods blur all things until I satisfy my cravings. Just how it is.

Yield: serves 4

1/2 cup half and half
2 bulbs of roasted garlic
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
pinch of nutmeg
2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
1 tablespoon freshly chopped basil

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Toss chopped cauliflower with salt, pepper and olive oil, then place on the baking sheet. Roast for 20-30 minutes, tossing 2-3 times during cooking, until charred and crispy.

While cauliflower is roasting, prepare water for pasta, bring to a boil and cook according to directions. On a cutting board, squeeze out roasted garlic cloves and used a fork, mash into a smooth paste.

Place pine nuts in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and cook until toasted and slightly fragrant, tossing with a wooden spoon. This should take about 5-6 minutes. Set aside.

In a large skillet, heat butter oven medium heat and once sizzling, whisk in flour to create a roux. Stir for 1-2 minutes until golden, then add in milk and half/half. Whisk constantly until milk thickens a bit, about 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat and whisk in roasted garlic (paste), cheese and nutmeg. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired. Toss the pasta in the sauce and using kitchen tongs, toss to coat. Top with crispy cauliflower, pine nuts and chopped herbs. Serve with salmon on the side.

In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder and brown sugar, mixing thoroughly. Rub evenly over salmon. (If your salmon has skin, you can rub about half of the mixture on the non-skin side. When I buy salmon with skin, I prefer to broil it skin-side down as it's easier to remove after.)

Preheat the broiler in your oven to high and place an oven rack right below it. Place the salmon on a broiler pan or baking sheet. Broil for 5-6 minutes, flip and then broil for 5-6 minutes more. If the salmon has skin, I tend to broil for about 8-10 minutes total, skin-side down.

I’m about to drink that sauce.

81 Responses to “Broiled Salmon and Roasted Garlic Cream Noodles with Crispy Cauliflower + Toasted Pine Nuts.”

Amanda @ The Dormestic Goddess — February 21, 2013 @ 8:05 am

“salads should take a long walk off a short pier” hahaha! If your amazing recipes and photos didn’t keep me coming back, your writing certainly would! This looks delish!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — February 21, 2013 @ 8:07 am

What a gorgeous meal! I love the sounds of the crispy cauli and the pine nuts. I can almost smell everything roasting from here!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — February 21, 2013 @ 8:13 am

Oh you know I’m a sucker for anything to do with salmon!! I could eat it every day and never get bored. What time’s dinner? ;)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — February 21, 2013 @ 8:23 am

Wow, what a great dinner! I am so loving the cauliflower right now! I never made salmon at home, I need to do it and soon!!! Wonderful recipe!

Brian @ A Thought For Food — February 21, 2013 @ 8:36 am

And what a meal this is! You hit every note perfectly! I so can’t wait to try this!

Brie @ Entrée the Giant — February 21, 2013 @ 8:50 am

Take a million pics for your blog post and all but one come out blurry because your blood sugar’s so low?! Been there, done that.

Sometimes…I photograph leftovers…shhh ;)

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — February 21, 2013 @ 9:20 am

Haha, I sometimes get the shaky arm when I’m taking photographs too (and believe it or not, i usually DOES have to do with hunger). It’s the worst though when you go back to the computer and see blurry pics, ugh.

Looks like a great feast!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — February 21, 2013 @ 9:20 am

I was planning salmon for dinner Friday and this sounds much better than my brown rice side dish. Thanks Jess! :)

Jenna — February 21, 2013 @ 9:30 am

OoooolalA looks so wonderful! This salmon is gorgeous and who could resist those noodles!

Meg @ Peaches and Cake — February 21, 2013 @ 9:31 am

Thank you for your salmon broiling tips! Much appreciated!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League — February 21, 2013 @ 9:38 am

So I just made your smokey sweet potato burgers last night, with the garlic cream and avocado (to DIE for). I was thinking of freezing half the burgers but I’ll still have extra cream and I couldn’t think of what to do with it. Thanks for coming to my rescue (yet again) with this recipe! I’ll just thin it out a bit, add some pasta and Parmesan, bam. Improvised dinner.

bridget {bake at 350} — February 21, 2013 @ 9:43 am

I share your thoughts on salad for dinner. ;)

Cannot wait to try that sauce…and everything that goes along with it!

kim@hungryhealthygirl — February 21, 2013 @ 9:49 am

This looks delicious and I’ve been craving salmon lately! I’ve never thought to put cauliflower and pasta together, but I love the look of this. Can’t wait to give it a try!

Monica — February 21, 2013 @ 9:50 am

This meal looks really delicious…love the balance of flavors and textures. That cream sauce sounds and looks divine!

Erin | The Law Student's Wife — February 21, 2013 @ 9:52 am

It is OK if I eat an entire vat of garlic cream sauce? I think you might approve.

Bev @ Bev Cooks — February 21, 2013 @ 10:14 am

Roasted garlic cream sauce is mah laaaaaaaaaaaaahf.

Ashley — February 21, 2013 @ 10:24 am

Ermagod. Must.make.that.pasta. Love that you roasted it and infused everything with roasted garlic. Yummm. Also cracking up with your extreme excitement, use of &&^%$#, and telling salad to take a walk off a short pier.

Sharla — February 21, 2013 @ 10:26 am

Everything about this meal sounds perfect. You should open a restaurant…in my kitchen.

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots — February 21, 2013 @ 10:49 am

oh I need to have this now! please come stay with me for a week and make me dinner! I’ll repay you in frozen yogurt?!?

Yum Yucky — February 21, 2013 @ 10:52 am

Oh noes she didn’t! She made me a meal?I bettah warm up the food teleporter. I’m such a whore when it comes to salmon. And those noodles look ahhhmazing.

christin — February 21, 2013 @ 10:58 am

I would eat this for breakfast.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — February 21, 2013 @ 11:09 am

I just want to lose myself in a platter of that pasta. WHOA!

Marcie @ Flavor the Moments — February 21, 2013 @ 11:17 am

If this were in front of me right now, I’d eat it for breakfast. I love salmon with a spicy, sweet rub — my favorite! Roasted cauliflower is so divine, I make it often, but in a creamy whole wheat pasta, I’d be in heaven!

Morgan — February 21, 2013 @ 11:39 am

What a lovely meal! Love the combination of cauliflower and pine nuts. Garlic cream sauce doesn’t hurt either ;)

Joelle (on a pink typewriter) — February 21, 2013 @ 11:41 am

Girlfriend, you should have a catering company.

Little Kitchie — February 21, 2013 @ 11:43 am

I’m freaking out over that garlic cream. YUM!

Colleen @ Culinary Colleen — February 21, 2013 @ 11:55 am

Um, yea. I’m drooling. For some reason I’m always stumped when I try to come up with new side dishes to go with salmon. Love this idea!

Holiday Baker Man — February 21, 2013 @ 12:05 pm

ATasteOfMadness — February 21, 2013 @ 12:05 pm

I think I would drink the sauce too, this looks fantastic! What a meal!!

Jess — February 21, 2013 @ 12:11 pm

Looks like the perfect hearty, winter dinner meal to me!

Meghan @ The Tasty Fork — February 21, 2013 @ 12:14 pm

That sauce sounds heavenly!!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — February 21, 2013 @ 12:25 pm

Whoa mama. Now that’s my kind of fish dish! Looks mouthwatering.

Nutmeg Nanny — February 21, 2013 @ 12:34 pm

Yum! I don’t eat a lot of salmon but I know the mister would go crazy over this dish!

Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes — February 21, 2013 @ 12:53 pm

Oooh la la – I’m glad you didn’t eat your arm off, but had you done so, I think you could have simply applied a thick layer of this luscious sauce as an effective salve and you would have been all set. AMAZEBALLS.

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — February 21, 2013 @ 1:16 pm

That’s closer to a meal than I get most of the time!! Looks delish!! :)

Moni Meals — February 21, 2013 @ 1:23 pm

WOW Jessica! I am so in love with this meal and the photos! I hope to make it soon. Maybe tonight….

Looks great!

Cassie — February 21, 2013 @ 1:46 pm

ok definitely making this ASAP. I’ve never roasted garlic but I’m guessing by 2 bulbs of garlic you just mean 2 pieces out of the whole head of garlic? About how many TSP of the paste would you say that is? Also, how do you store the roasted garlic heads if you aren’t using immediately? THANKS!

• Jessica — February 21st, 2013 @ 1:55 pm

no, you want to 2 whole heads roasted! here is how i roast it: http://www.howsweeteats.com/2009/09/roasted-garlic/

if i’m not using it right away, i wrap it tightly in foil and store in the fridge. Or you can squeeze out the cloves and place them in a seal-tight container!

Larry — February 21, 2013 @ 2:16 pm

I had to.
    But seriously, that crispy cauliflower?! Everything. EVERYTHINGGGGGGG right now.
    You are genius.

Maria Tadic — February 21, 2013 @ 2:35 pm

That looks freaking amazing! Veggies or not…I want a boat load of those creamy noodles! I wish I had so much roasted garlic…guess I’ll make some tonight!!! Thanks for a great recipe!

Julie / Bound — February 21, 2013 @ 2:57 pm

WHY do computers not have smell-o-vision yet? So upsetting. This looks so, so good.

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — February 21, 2013 @ 3:05 pm

I love that sauce. And Cauliflower. OMG.

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — February 21, 2013 @ 4:06 pm

Hey, 4 photos of dinner is impressive. I’m lucky to get one decent one, since I’m usually too hungry to exercise patience and get a good shot! It makes me envious of people who only blog desserts, because they never have to worry about dinner getting cold :)

This looks amazing – I don’t eat meat on Fridays during Lent, so I’m in dire need of some good seafood recipes!

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — February 21, 2013 @ 4:29 pm

Seeeriously might have to just make the noodle part of this dish ASAP!

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — February 21, 2013 @ 5:36 pm

Love. All of it. Salmon is on my brain this week after making a pretty darn good stuffed salmon. These garlic cream noodles look bomb!

Jessica @ Jessiker Bakes — February 21, 2013 @ 6:22 pm

Umm…yum? I have absolutely no appetite and you’re making an appetite for me! I love salmon…well I once had a salmon obsession but that’s a different story. And don’t get me started on those noodles…they like fab!

Cassie — February 21, 2013 @ 6:56 pm

I just made this for dinner, and it is INSANE! Everyone go make this now. P.S. I basically did a shot of the garlic cream sauce, and I highly recommend doing that as well! :)

Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen — February 21, 2013 @ 10:35 pm

So many flavors going on right now. And I am in depressed city about to eat a salad for dinner while I am drooling over this three of my favorite foods salmon, garlic, and pasta! The photographs are beautiful :)

JulieD — February 21, 2013 @ 11:28 pm

I love roasted garlic! I have been freezing leftovers too. And I love salmon anything. this looks so good, Jessica!!

Honey What's Cooking — February 22, 2013 @ 12:26 am

Beautiful dinner. Salmon is like my favorite thing in the world. And aren’t you creative adding roasted cauliflower to noodles, brilliantly done!!!

Gerry @ Foodness Gracious — February 22, 2013 @ 10:08 am

Loving the salmon and garlic combo!! And 4 pics out of 40 is not bad..I’d take that ratio :)

1. Pingback: Thursday Things | Chelcie's Food Files

2. Pingback: Friday Finds 02.22.13 | Paper Peonies

3. Pingback: Chicken-Mushroomy-Spinachy-Joy | Ringing The Dinner Bell

4. Pingback: » The Sunday Brunch Buffet 2/24/2013 The Live-In Kitchen

5. Pingback: Daily Dinner Idea: Broiled Salmon with Roasted Garlic Cream Noodles | The Nest Blog – Home Décor, Cooking, Money, Health & Sex News & Advice

6. Pingback: Hooray for Saturday. | ShugaMama

7. Pingback: Salmon en Papillote with Garlic Cream Noodles | spontaneity or second guesses

8. Pingback: Homemade Roasted Garlic Oil | How Sweet It Is