Today is the day where I tell you how I am cut from the weirdest cloth ever.

Cabernet Chocolate Truffles I

It is not far from the truth to say that for a holiday, I would rather… receivefoodthanjewerly. Uh huh. Did I say it fast enough?

I would though. Well, most of the time. I guess it depends? I should probably rethink this before I speak to my invisible internet friends and never receive jewelry every again in my life. But yes, I’d sort of prefer chocolate.

Cabernet Chocolate Truffles I

It’s just that I’m kind of picky in the whole jewelry department, but probably not the way that you think I am. I sort of… like trashy jewelry? Uh, you probably already know that though if you followed me on Instagram last summer. I can say that because I will wear it. The real truth is that I adore costume jewelry. The more color the better. Give me gems and jewel tones and all sorts of things that should only be worn once or twice but that I abuse and overwear to death. I like color more than diamonds. I am so not elegant.

I mean, I say this as a 30-year old woman (ew) sitting here watching a rerun of full house (yes seriously) on Nickelodeon at 9:36 PM. What kind of jewelry do you THINK I want? Yeah.

Cabernet Chocolate Truffles I

Obviously I wouldn’t kick a diamond out of bed (thought I sort of did pass one up on my 30th birthday and I thought my husband was going to have a heartichoke) but I’d gladly take some colorful junk from anthropology or j.crew h&m or… or… Target. No shame. Isn’t this the time in my life that I should be collecting things to hold dear and pass down to future generations in 50 years or something? I don’t quite think the neon blue hoop earrings will hold up in 2060.

I’m sorry future granddaughters, I have no bracelets or brooches for you because I was too busy eating chocolate studded with bacon and chili peppers. I have a really nice (50-year old) refrigerator though.

Cabernet Chocolate Truffles I

Needless to say, I would be super excited to receive some truffles, especially truffles made with RED WINE on Valentine’s Day. Especially if said truffles were covered in a trillion multicolored pink sprinkles that stain your entire life pink when touched. Really… your entire life. My hands and face were pink for days. Yes, I sort of loved it. I realize that I’ve been a bit heavy handed on the sprinkles this week, so you can rest assured that this is the end of the sprinkles. For the moment.

Now maybe if someone could make me some edible jewelry… ? Yes. That would work.

Cabernet Chocolate Truffles I

Cabernet Chocolate Truffles

Yield: makes about 30 truffles

Total Time: 2.5 hours (most is down time)

3/4 cup heavy cream
5 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
5 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
3 tablespoons of your favorite cabernet sauvignon
sprinkles or cocoa powder for rolling

Add chopped chocolate to a large bowl.

Heat heavy cream in a saucepan over medium heat. The minute it starts boiling, remove from heat and pour over the chocolate. Add wine. Let sit for 3 minutes, then whisk continuously until smooth. Press a piece of plastic wrap over top of the bowl and press down so it adheres to the chocolate. Refrigerate for at least two hours (I did so overnight - perfect!), then using a small melon baller or spoon, scoop chocolate out and roll them into balls, placing on a sheet of wax paper. Roll the truffles in cocoa or sprinkles, then refrigerate for about 30 minutes before serving. I definitely like these best cold, but they can sit out at room temperature for a few hours too. I do keep them refrigerated when not serving.

[adapted from martha stewart]

Cabernet Chocolate Truffles I

Chocolate jewelry! Let’s do this.

172 Responses to “Cabernet Chocolate Truffles.”

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — February 7, 2013 @ 7:59 am

When I was doing long distance with my now husband, he sent me a package of hershey kisses and cinnamon sugar soy crisps… best present ever. Though, I’d happily take some jewelry on the side:-)

sally @ sallys baking addiction — February 7, 2013 @ 8:02 am

reruns of full house and trashy jewelry make me smile. I like to receive chocolate AND jewelry for holidays. And wine. These truffles and a tacky neon bracelet while watching full house would make my day. ;)

PS: all those sprinkles!!!!! yes… please don’t stop.

ashley - baker by nature — February 7, 2013 @ 8:02 am

I’ve been wanting to try red wine in truffles for ages now! Yours look gorgeous!!!! Must try.

Dani — February 7, 2013 @ 8:17 am

Pink sprinkles are my kind of mess! Those truffles look amaze-balls ;)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — February 7, 2013 @ 8:28 am

Cuuuute! These look so freaking tasty too. I love the sprinkles!

Amanda @ The Dormestic Goddess — February 7, 2013 @ 8:32 am

Only thing that’s worse than sprinkle stains are food coloring stains! But being stained pink makes it ok. If I can’t use red wine, would coffee be an alright substitute? I know that makes them un-cabernet chocolate truffles but would it work?

• Jessica — February 7th, 2013 @ 8:34 am

if you use 3 tablespoons of actual (liquid) coffee, it will probably just deepen the chocolate flavor and not taste very mocha-y. i think your best bet would be to use espresso powder or something like that??

Kristina — February 7, 2013 @ 8:38 am

half of my right hand is currently stained bright pink. worth it.

chocolate jewelry? I could get on board with that.

Rachel — February 7, 2013 @ 8:39 am

I would say neon hoop earrings are timeless, they’ve lasted since the 80s.

Claire Flynn — February 7, 2013 @ 8:40 am

Chocolate jewelry = stringing these truffles into a necklace and nomming on it throughout the day?

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — February 7, 2013 @ 8:43 am

Jessica I love that you used red wine in these!! And sprinkles. So classy yet true to yourself. My poor girls will not be getting anything exciting either….

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — February 7, 2013 @ 8:55 am

I love costume jewellery too! It’s so much more fun… especially when it’s turquoise! And it’s cheaper than real fancy shmancy jewellery so if you misplace it or if it breaks, you don’t have to get all sick to your stomach thinking about how much it costs. And Full House.. well, you know how I feel about that! :) :) :)

Ali @ Peaches and Football — February 7, 2013 @ 9:07 am

I'm in love.

I think the espresso idea instead of the cab is brilliant too – I could see those being very rich and fantastically mocha-esque.

Kelsey K. — February 7, 2013 @ 9:07 am

For some reason I like those little round sprinkles way better than the longer ones… Weird? Whatever. These look amazing and I’m sure will fill the void of being single on Valentines Day. These truffles can be my new boyfriend.

Karen — February 7, 2013 @ 9:14 am

These may not be chocolate, but it’s still edible.

P.S. You can never have too many sprinkles.

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries — February 7, 2013 @ 9:34 am

Cabernet + chocolate?! YES PLEASE. Add some sprinkles? Even better.

Brenna — February 7, 2013 @ 9:50 am

Where is your whisk from? I love it!

• Jessica — February 7th, 2013 @ 10:00 am

thanks! anthropologie.

Tracey — February 7, 2013 @ 9:51 am

These look so cute and festive! What brand of chocolate do you prefer to use?

• Jessica — February 7th, 2013 @ 10:00 am

it depends and changes on where i shop but my faves are prob chocolove and scharffen berger!

Meghan @ The Tasty Fork — February 7, 2013 @ 9:52 am

I have a love of trashy jewelry, too and I blame my Grandma. When I was a kid, she would go to garage sales and pick up jewelry for me to play dress up with. We called it “junk jewelry.” I miss those days…

LOVE the recipe! I’m pinning and making for myself next week.

Julie @ Table for Two — February 7, 2013 @ 9:52 am

I just bought a HUGE bottle of red wine yesterday so this is going on my must-make this weekend! Although I don’t think it was cabernet, I feel like any boozy truffle is good ;)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — February 7, 2013 @ 9:59 am

I’m the same way – well, minus the costume jewelry. But I am SO PICKY about what I like to wear jewelry-wise, I’d pretty much just rather have chocolate.

But I’d rather have chocolate always, since, well, you know – having chocolate is better than not having chocolate ;)

Caroline @ Pink Basil — February 7, 2013 @ 10:05 am

Wine & Chocolate? Genius…

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — February 7, 2013 @ 10:07 am

Gerry @ Foodness Gracious — February 7, 2013 @ 10:08 am

These look amazing! Great pics too and the sprinkles are just the best finish :)

Katie — February 7, 2013 @ 10:09 am

Same boat. I’m just glad i have my grandmother’s things to pass down to my child. As for me, I’ll just take 92 of these truffles.

Andrea @ Vegvacious — February 7, 2013 @ 10:11 am

It’s sad how excited I get over a set of mustache mugs or dark chocolate with sea salt haha —- I love how simple these truffles are! Definitely on one of my many “must make” lists!!

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots — February 7, 2013 @ 10:12 am

oh goodness, I would much rather these then jewelry… or maybe these with a side of jewelry..

LIz — February 7, 2013 @ 10:21 am

oooooh……definitely making these for Valentines Day!!!

TidyMom — February 7, 2013 @ 10:32 am

these look fantastic Jess………I’m not much of a diamond fan myself ;)

Christine @ Cooking with Cakes — February 7, 2013 @ 10:35 am

these look adorable!

I made some no-bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Oatmeal Drops a few posts ago (low fat if you can believe it!) and I covered them in multi-color nonpareils sprinkles – it gave them the perfect crunch and a lovely dose of color!

very cute :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — February 7, 2013 @ 10:37 am

Such an interesting flavor combination! Love it!!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — February 7, 2013 @ 10:41 am

I’ve seen red wine truffles before and always thought they sounded really interesting–might as well consume both vices at the same time ;)

And I totally agree, I would rather receive food (well, actually…kitchen stuff) any day than jewelry…

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — February 7, 2013 @ 10:42 am

Also–I’ve seen that whisk at Anthro and always wondered if it worked well…does it? Or is it more of an eye-candy thing?

• Jessica — February 7th, 2013 @ 10:53 am

definitely just eye candy! it’s pretty in pictures and stuff but so flimsy and absolute crap when it comes to whisking.

• Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — February 7th, 2013 @ 10:54 am

I figured anything that pretty probably doesn’t work–you would think they could figure out how to do both!

Jenna — February 7, 2013 @ 10:43 am

These truffles are so beautiful! Love this recipe

Amy Powell — February 7, 2013 @ 10:47 am

oh i love! sounds so perfect.

Carly @ Snack Therapy — February 7, 2013 @ 10:48 am

Get out of here. I’m calling these sprinkle encrusted ball of joy.

d — February 7, 2013 @ 10:58 am

so yummy! could you use all milk chocolate instead of a mix?

• Jessica — February 7th, 2013 @ 11:00 am

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — February 7, 2013 @ 10:59 am

I’ll take 4,397 of these pretty please!

jennifer — February 7, 2013 @ 11:01 am

1. i love that whisk. i gasped when i saw it. weird i know.
    2. your inner teenager already knows about edible jewelry i.e. candy necklace and ring pops. and also the edible make-up. candy lipstick

Annie @ Annie's City Kitchen — February 7, 2013 @ 11:13 am

1. These truffles. Duh. 2. We must be cut from the very same cloth because nearly all of my jewelry is plastic costume jewelry. My boyfriend and I have been dating for years and he’s literally never purchased jewelry for me because he knows better at this point. The idea of wearing actual precious metals is hilarious.

joelle (on a pink typewriter) — February 7, 2013 @ 11:15 am

These look amazing!

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — February 7, 2013 @ 11:15 am

I agree lets do this! These look so cute and tasty!

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — February 7, 2013 @ 11:19 am

I feel the same way. In all my years I actually have only received two pieces of jewelry total from any of my ex-boyfriends and I prefer it that way. I like to change the jewelry I wear every day – meaning I also adore statement/costume jewelry. If I was bought fancy jewelry I’d feel like I had to wear it every day. Which brings me to a problem… how will I deal with an engagement ring if and when that happens? haha

Little Kitchie — February 7, 2013 @ 11:25 am

Valentine’s perfection right here! Love it!

allie@sweetpotatobites — February 7, 2013 @ 11:43 am

red wine truffles? perfect valentine’s day treat!

Meghan {For the Love of Dessert} — February 7, 2013 @ 11:47 am

Ok, the truffles look great and all, and not to downplay the delicious at all but… um… HEARTICHOKE. THAT is amazing.

Kim in MD — February 7, 2013 @ 11:55 am

This post made me smile! I am more of a jewelry girl, but I do love me chocolate! These truffles are adorable, and I can only imagine how great they taste!

Casey — February 7, 2013 @ 12:00 pm

Delicious. And I totally understand the food gift love. My bf makes me chocolate covered strawberries every valentine’s day. If he ever stops I’ll be heartbroken.

Monica — February 7, 2013 @ 12:08 pm

red, pink and white perfection!

deva at deva by definition — February 7, 2013 @ 12:13 pm

I love costume and cheap jewelry, too. My most treasured piece is a pendant I got from an aunt when I was a young teen. It was originally a ring, but it was very big for my finger (it is a nice amethyst heart), so we had it reset into a pendant. I’ve worn that for years.

Oh, and um, on the layover this week? There was a goat cheese chocolate truffle.

Miachel – Spiced Curiosity — February 7, 2013 @ 12:35 pm

Delish! What a seriously sweet, simple recipe.

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Double Chocolate + Red Wine Cookies | Healthy. Delicious.

2. Pingback: Highlights: Valentine's Day Desserts » Relishments

3. Pingback: Dark Chocolate Fudge Merlot Cupcakes | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Dark Chocolate Fudge Merlot Cupcakes. | Food & Recipes

5. Pingback: Last-Minute Valentine’s Day Treats…

6. Pingback: Lovey Dovey | Amanda's New Life

7. Pingback: Valentine’s Day #9: Cabernet Chocolate Truffles | My Word with Douglas E. Welch

8. Pingback: cabernet chocolate truffles -

9. Pingback: Boozy Truffles » Table for Two

10. Pingback: The benefits of book club | Poetry

11. Pingback: Chocolate + Wine Truffles | The Dreaming Foodie

12. Pingback: Top 7 Sweet Desserts with Amazing Glamour - All Fresh Recipes

13. Pingback: will you be my valentine? | Mocha And Moccasins

14. Pingback: Gift (You Can Make) Guide - Eat It!

15. Pingback: Things I like Monday | Crazy Jamie

16. Pingback: Boozy Truffles | Table for Two

17. Pingback: 10 Kid Friendly Valentine's Day Snacks {including Gluten Free} - A Worthey Read!

18. Pingback: 27 Chocolate Desserts That Make Valentine’s Day Worth Celebrating |

19. Pingback: 27 Chocolate Desserts That Make Valentine’s Day Worth Celebrating - zdouf!

20. Pingback: バレンタインデーを祝う価値があるようにする27のチョコレート・デザート | 健康に良い食事・悪い食事とは・・専門家が説明します!

21. Pingback: バレンタインデーを祝う価値があるようにする27のチョコレート・デザート | モテメニュー特集!しかも早くて安くてうますぎ! 参考にして下さい!

22. Pingback: バレンタインデーを祝う価値があるようにする27のチョコレート・デザート | ダイエットはこのメニューで決まり! 最新流行ダイエットフード

23. Pingback: バレンタインデーを祝う価値があるようにする27のチョコレート・デザート | ダイエットはこのメニューで決まり! 最新流行ダイエットフード

24. Pingback: 35 Sexy Desserts That Want You On Valentine’s Day -

25. Pingback: バレンタインデーを祝う価値があるようにする27のチョコレート・デザート | ダイエットはこのメニューで決まり! 最新流行ダイエットフード

26. Pingback: Chocolate: A Savory and Sweet Dinner Party | pop.fizz.clink

27. Pingback: バレンタインデーを祝う価値があるようにする27のチョコレート・デザート | モテメニュー特集!しかも早くて安くてうますぎ! 参考にして下さい!

28. Pingback: バレンタインデーを祝う価値があるようにする27のチョコレート・デザート | ダイエットはこのメニューで決まり! 最新流行ダイエットフード

29. Pingback: Sjokolade trøffler! | DIYfeed - Be inspired today!

30. Pingback: Friday Finds – The Sweet Tooth Edition | Magna Artistic Photos

31. Pingback: Chocolate Truffles Yogurt - Food Recipe

32. Pingback: Wine lovers Christmas presents | Malbec, Wine, Argentina and Life

33. Pingback: Kahlua Chocolate Truffles - Sugar Dish Me

34. Pingback: Top 10 Valentine’s Day Delicious Dessert Recipes

35. Pingback: 31 Valentine's Day Desserts That Want to Be Your Date

36. Pingback: Just in time for Valentine’s Day! Guilt-Free Chocolate Truffles! | KristenElyse88

37. Pingback: Wine a Little... - Beauty Brite

38. Pingback: Pinot Noir Dark Chocolate Truffles | Confectionary Tales of a Bakeaholic

39. Pingback: Belly Up for Wine Wednesday! | Glitter Fantasy...

40. Pingback: 27 Chocolate Desserts That Make Valentine’s Day Worth Celebrating | Viral News Worthy

41. Pingback: WINEing Welcomed | Glitter Fantasy...