Today is the day where I tell you how I am cut from the weirdest cloth ever.

Cabernet Chocolate Truffles I

It is not far from the truth to say that for a holiday, I would rather… receivefoodthanjewerly. Uh huh. Did I say it fast enough?

I would though. Well, most of the time. I guess it depends? I should probably rethink this before I speak to my invisible internet friends and never receive jewelry every again in my life. But yes, I’d sort of prefer chocolate.

Cabernet Chocolate Truffles I

It’s just that I’m kind of picky in the whole jewelry department, but probably not the way that you think I am. I sort of… like trashy jewelry? Uh, you probably already know that though if you followed me on Instagram last summer. I can say that because I will wear it. The real truth is that I adore costume jewelry. The more color the better. Give me gems and jewel tones and all sorts of things that should only be worn once or twice but that I abuse and overwear to death. I like color more than diamonds. I am so not elegant.

Cabernet Chocolate Truffles I

Obviously I wouldn’t kick a diamond out of bed (thought I sort of did pass one up on my 30th birthday and I thought my husband was going to have a heartichoke) but I’d gladly take some colorful junk from anthropology or j.crew h&m or… or… Target. No shame. Isn’t this the time in my life that I should be collecting things to hold dear and pass down to future generations in 50 years or something? I don’t quite think the neon blue hoop earrings will hold up in 2060.

I’m sorry future granddaughters, I have no bracelets or brooches for you because I was too busy eating chocolate studded with bacon and chili peppers. I have a really nice (50-year old) refrigerator though.

Cabernet Chocolate Truffles I

Needless to say, I would be super excited to receive some truffles, especially truffles made with RED WINE on Valentine’s Day. Especially if said truffles were covered in a trillion multicolored pink sprinkles that stain your entire life pink when touched. Really… your entire life. My hands and face were pink for days. Yes, I sort of loved it. I realize that I’ve been a bit heavy handed on the sprinkles this week, so you can rest assured that this is the end of the sprinkles. For the moment.

Now maybe if someone could make me some edible jewelry… ? Yes. That would work.

Cabernet Chocolate Truffles I

Cabernet Chocolate Truffles

Yield: makes about 30 truffles

Total Time: 2.5 hours (most is down time)

3/4 cup heavy cream
5 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
5 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
3 tablespoons of your favorite cabernet sauvignon
sprinkles or cocoa powder for rolling

Add chopped chocolate to a large bowl.

Heat heavy cream in a saucepan over medium heat. The minute it starts boiling, remove from heat and pour over the chocolate. Add wine. Let sit for 3 minutes, then whisk continuously until smooth. Press a piece of plastic wrap over top of the bowl and press down so it adheres to the chocolate. Refrigerate for at least two hours (I did so overnight - perfect!), then using a small melon baller or spoon, scoop chocolate out and roll them into balls, placing on a sheet of wax paper. Roll the truffles in cocoa or sprinkles, then refrigerate for about 30 minutes before serving. I definitely like these best cold, but they can sit out at room temperature for a few hours too. I do keep them refrigerated when not serving.

[adapted from martha stewart]

Cabernet Chocolate Truffles I

Chocolate jewelry! Let’s do this.

170 Responses to “Cabernet Chocolate Truffles.”

Jess — February 12, 2013 @ 11:09 am

“I mean, I say this as a 30-year old woman (ew) sitting here watching a rerun of full house (yes seriously) on Nickelodeon at 9:36 PM. What kind of jewelry do you THINK I want? Yeah.”

…You are so awesome I can hardly stand it! <3

tara — February 13, 2013 @ 9:21 am

i made these. they were fantastic !! i couldn’t find the sprinkle balls so i just mixed red/pink sanding sugar together and rolled in that. its not as pretty as the sprinkles but it made a nice valentine look and i would do it again. these were really great. brought them to work and they got rave reviews. the wine adds just enough of something that leaves you wondering what is that ! i will def make these again AND try out other liquors (maybe coocnut ? orange ? etc). thansk for an easy good recipe that’s naturally gluten free (i’m a celiac).

**after i rolled the balls i put them in the freezer for ~10 min before rolling them in the sugar since just the heat from my hands was softening them a bit**

Christina — February 13, 2013 @ 11:11 am

Hey Jess! I made these truffles last night in hopes of rolling them this morning, but when I woke up, the chocolate + cream mixture was firm, but very squishy (if that makes any sense). it was more like a firm frosting texture than anything. Anyways, I am thinking this is because I used whipping cream instead of heavy cream? I thought I bought heavy cream, but when I checked the box this morning, it was whipping cream oops. Do you think this could be causing my issue? I made sure to weigh out the chocolate, so I know that was right and I doubled the recipe as well. Thanks for you help!

Kate G — February 14, 2013 @ 10:04 am

This is sort of like chocolate jewelry? :)

I’m making these for a bridal shower

Grace — February 14, 2013 @ 11:56 am

Jessica, please help! I made these for my boyfriend for Valentine’s Day and they are not forming into beautiful balls like yours. I let the mixture chill overnight and it’s still more of a frosting spread that’s melting and won’t roll into balls. I just popped it into the freezer to see if that would help. Is it the chocolate I used? I used milk and dark chocolate chips instead of chopped up chocolate bars.

• Jessica — February 14th, 2013 @ 12:10 pm

hey girl… did you measure everything out perfectly? like actually weight your 10 ounces of chocolate? i’m really not sure what the problem could be – i know a few others have mentioned the same, but i’ve also got a ton of pictures from those who made them that turned out! it’s a martha original recipe and mine set up both times i made them. the only things i can think of is that maybe the proportions weren’t measured exactly or perhaps the quality of the chocolate could affect it, but i’m not educated about chocolate enough to know. let me know if they set up in the freezer! i think that would help, and then you can just store them in there until ready to use.

• Grace — February 14th, 2013 @ 1:47 pm

Thanks so much for such a quick response. Since I used chocolate chips, I bet you’re right that the weight wasn’t exact enough. I poured the chocolate chips up to the 10 oz. line of a measuring cup and that must not have been accurate enough. Putting them in the freezer definitely helped them firm up so I could shape them better and set them on a pretty plate. They still taste delicious, so I’m sure he will love them and love the effort! Happy Valentine’s Day!

• Jessica — February 14th, 2013 @ 1:48 pm

ahhhh yes, that definitely was the culprit! 10 oz of weight is different than 10 oz of fluid measure – i should have clarified more! i’m so glad the freezer helped – enjoy!

Shilpa — February 19, 2013 @ 12:51 pm

This was a also a fail for me, and I definitely measured everything out correctly!! I ended up with a really delicious frosting. Now I have to bake something else to spread it on!!!

Sarah — February 21, 2013 @ 2:35 pm

These look fantastic and easy, had no idea truffles could be so easy! Question though, do I use baking chocolate bars like ghradelli baking squares?

• Melissa — February 12th, 2015 @ 10:29 pm

I’ve been wondering the same thing. Do I use baking chocolate or the regular chocolate type that I seem to eat by the pound?

Kristin — March 3, 2013 @ 12:27 pm

haha! i am 100% with you on this … pretty sure the best valentine’s day gift my fiance ever gave me was a giant reese’s heart. i actually lost two rings he gave me early on in our relationship so it took him 10 years to get over that and give me an engagement ring ;)

target shopping sprees are up there, also! i’d rather get more bang for my buck!

Belle Kaelker — July 13, 2013 @ 4:43 am

From 1985-2013 it had shared its channel space with Nick at Nite, a nighttime service broadcasting during the interim hours that features reruns of older primetime sitcoms, along with some original series and feature films, which is treated as a separate channel from Nickelodeon by A.C. Nielsen Co. for ratings purposes..”.:

Most popular post produced by our internet page

rihanna umbrella 和訳 — August 19, 2013 @ 8:56 pm

しまむら 浴衣

Andrea Licayan — November 23, 2013 @ 9:48 pm

Is it okay if I will not put some wine? Because I hate wine. And I don’t know why. And also love your website. : )

Chocolate Dipped Wine Bottles — August 12, 2014 @ 11:31 am

These truffles look so amazing! If you are a lover of chocolate and wine, and pairing the two of them together, then you need to check out some of our stuff at We sell fine wine with Belgian wine literally painted onto the bottle over a food-grade removable sleeve. It is unlike anything you have ever seen or tasted, so you need to check it out!

Jennifer — February 13, 2015 @ 4:48 am

I made these last night – found the recipe from Pinterest. I used Hershey’s milk chocolate and dark chocolate bars. I did not weigh the chocolate but used my mad math skills (not really). I had the mixture in the fridge for well over 2 hours and they wouldn’t set. I put them in the freezer overnight and still they wouldn’t set. I think it’s the chocolate I used. It still tastes amazing! I don’t mind eating by the spoonful :) I will keep trying to finagle the recipe to get it to work for me, but I wanted to give my 2 cents :)

Denise — February 13, 2015 @ 12:01 pm

I’m about to try making these lovely truffles! I make bean-to-bar chocolate from fermented and roasted cacao beans. I have been reading comments by those for whom this recipe didn’t work out and was too soft. Something to know about commercial chocolate – much of it contains SO much cocoa butter and very little actual cacao. That greater quantity of cocoa butter, in combination with the cream, might be the reason. I’ll post my results tomorrow, and will take your advice about leaving the mixture in the refrigerator overnight. I will be using my own 70% cacao chocolate.

Jamal — September 4, 2015 @ 6:59 am

Love the red wine truffles! And the party sounds amazing!