I’m pretty sure it’s a requirement that you consume something sweet today.

Grapefruit Sorbet I howsweeteats.com

Even if you don’t care about Valentine’s Day and only love yourself (totally acceptable), love yourself with some chocolate. Or ice cream. Or grapefruit sorbet?

I’m a sucker for all things grapefruit. I’m pretty sure it’s an elderly person fruit – I mean, I can say that since I consume it frequently. I guess it certainly complements my taste in music. But the thing is, I’ve ALWAYS loved grapefruit. I used to eat it before elementary school and I think I liked it just because my dad ate it. Nobody else my age enjoyed it. In fact, most found it utterly disgusting and even now, I don’t think I know many people that actually like grapefruit. WEIRD.

Grapefruit Sorbet I howsweeteats.com

Even weirder? I never ate (or eat) my grapefruit with sugar. Which I think it practically the only way half of the grapefruit-eating population devours them. Sure, I’ve tried it. And it’s not that I don’t think it’s delicious, but in a very unexpected and odd way, I prefer the fruit in it’s purest form.

I also prefer to consume my sugar in things like obnoxiously rich cheesecake so yeah… there’s that.

But because of the no-sugar-on-my-grapefruit thing, I wasn’t positive I could get on this sorbet train. Of course, I want to almost eat my Burt’s Bees grapefruit chapstick, I shower with grapefruit body wash and even use grapefruit-scented face wipes, but I just didn’t know how this would go over.

Huh. Well.

Grapefruit Sorbet I howsweeteats.com

It went over. And over and over. Really, really well. So well, in fact, that I found myself with a spoon standing outside the freezer taking a taste, then shutting the door. Taking a taste, shutting the door. Taking a taste, shu… yeah, you get the point. Until eventually I had to take the whole thing out of the freezer, set it on the counter and go to town. It wasn’t even frozen yet. It was SO FLIPPING FABULOUS. Is it weird to say that this is so delicious it’s almost thirst-quenching? That was the only word that kept popping in my head. That, and REFRESHING. It’s like a tall glass of sparkling, icy lemonade on the hottest day ever. I am in love. Plus, it has two ingredients. Uh huh… two.

Oh oh oh, and can we recognize how huge this is because as we all know, fruit is not dessert. It does not qualify. It does not meet my standards.

I’m making an exception. You should too.

Grapefruit Sorbet I howsweeteats.com

Grapefruit Sorbet

Yield: serves 4-6

Prep Time: 1 hour

Total Time: 8 hours (includes freeze time)

Ingredients:

5 1/2 cups freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

Directions:

Note: I juiced about 6 large grapefruits to get 5 1/2 cups.

Combine 1 cup of grapefruit juice and all of the sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until sugar dissolves, cooking for about 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and pour in a large bowl, mixing it with the remaining grapefruit juice. Refrigerate for 25 minutes, or until chilled.

Once chilled, pour the mixture in your ice cream maker and churn according to the directions. I used the attachment for my KitchenAid and churned it for 25 minutes. After churning, pour in a container (...or loaf pan, ha) and freeze for 6-8 hours until frozen.

[adapted from my recipes]

Grapefruit Sorbet I howsweeteats.com

Be my valentine?

98 Responses to “Grapefruit Sorbet.”

ashley - baker by nature — February 14, 2013 @ 7:58 am

YES YES YES! I’m all over this one!

Happy V Day, girly!

Holiday Baker Man — February 14, 2013 @ 8:07 am

The perfect pallet cleanser during a multi course meal too!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — February 14, 2013 @ 8:08 am

I LOVE the pic with the ice cream scoop! This looks beautiful Jess. I can’t say I’ve ever been on team grapefruit (I always think they taste like an orange gone wrong) but I’d be willing to re-test my tastebuds with this! Happy Valentine’s Day!

Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) — February 14, 2013 @ 8:11 am

My ice cream maker is one of those appliances I used once and stored away. This looks like it’s worth digging it out for! Looks so fresh! :)

Amy — February 14, 2013 @ 8:20 am

I’ve always eaten grapefruit too. My grandmother used to fix them for breakfast when I’d spend the night at her house. My mom didn’t do them at home usually because they were too much work. *rolls eyes*

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — February 14, 2013 @ 8:29 am

Awesome recipe! I am making this one! I have been on a Pomelo kick lately, which I think is a Chinese grapefruit! I don’t like grapefruit with sugar, I like to peel it like an orange and eat it that way! However I want and need to try your sorbet! It sounds amazing and refreshing!!! I know I’ll be making it this weekend!!

Amanda @ The Dormestic Goddess — February 14, 2013 @ 8:37 am

I have been obsessed with that Burt’s Bees chapstick forever! And now I can have my grapefruit and eat it too! Fabulous!

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — February 14, 2013 @ 8:39 am

OMG yummers. I love grapefruit in any form, with or without sugar! THIS looks like the best way possible though!

Brie @ Entrée the Giant — February 14, 2013 @ 9:10 am

Once again, I’m a sucker for everything you make. You’ve got me hook, line and sinker, woman.

Happy VDay <3

Jessica@stuckonsweet — February 14, 2013 @ 9:14 am

I love bringing back grapefruit memories – I used to eat it before school as well….those were the days. I will definitely be trying this – looks fabulous!

Marjie — February 14, 2013 @ 9:15 am

A little creepy on how similar we are with our love for grapefruit. Use to think I only liked it because my dad would cut out the individual pieces for me, so all I would have to do is dip my grapefruit spoon in and out a piece would come. Right now I’m averaging two a day. Adding sugar, not my thing either. So addicted. Totally making this on Sunday. WAY too excited. Best Valentine’s recipe hands down.

Ali @ Peaches and Football — February 14, 2013 @ 9:25 am

This looks so light and delicious! I am a huge grapefruit fan. When I was growing up my grandma would always mail us a huge box filled with grapefruit and oranges and we’d devour them. I’ll admit, I like them with a bit of sugar or stevia on top. And I’m super weird because as a kid, I’d pick out even the teeniest of the seeds. They were to be avoided at ALL cost. I think the habit has carried over to adulthood because even now I always hunt for the little seeds before I sit down and eat. :)

Joelle (on a pink typewriter) — February 14, 2013 @ 9:41 am

Totally not what I was expecting you to share today, which makes me like you even more. Love that first pic!

Kari@Loaves n Dishes — February 14, 2013 @ 9:46 am

Whenever Williams-Sonoma has their Grapefruit all-purpose cleanser on saIe I snap it up, so when I clean my floors the house smells amazing!

I am in love with this sorbet, it’s so simple to make and it’s such a darned pretty color!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — February 14, 2013 @ 9:47 am

I love grapefruit–and I was that kid who always had a tupperware container of grapefruit juice in my lunchbox. I used to tell people it was “grape” juice (sorta not lying), because people definitely thought it was weird.

One of my favorite things to have it with is pancakes and anything with maple syrup! For some reason, the tart/sweet combo is awesome. Definitely want to make this before grapefruits go out of season!

Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery — February 14, 2013 @ 9:59 am

I share your views on Grapefruit entirely. I just split one with my grandma yesterday. No sugar is the way to go (though somehow some found it’s way onto my grapefuit, I wouldn’t complain. It’s just… why mess with perfection?). I’m going to make an awesome old person someday.

Kristina — February 14, 2013 @ 10:02 am

my scrub, wash and face wipes are all grapefruit. one of my (Fresh) perfumes is grapefruit.

I eat a (whole) grapefruit nearly. every. day.

I am all over this. today even.

heather — February 14, 2013 @ 10:07 am

This looks amazing! 2 ingredients? And that color is gorgeous. Love.

Happy Valentine’s day , friend!

Jenna — February 14, 2013 @ 10:10 am

This looks and sounds so incredibly refreshing!!

Rebecca Walsh — February 14, 2013 @ 10:12 am

You know, I was all excited to make this, thinking it must be the simplest recipe you’ve ever posted…until I got to the ice cream machine part. Dang. But…but…it sounds so good…not fair!

Grapefruit is awesome, and I agree, without sugar. I don’t like the grit, plus I need to know it’s healthier. :)

Katie — February 14, 2013 @ 10:13 am

Welp, now I need (neeeeed) an ice cream maker. I (obviously…as an old soul, too) am obsessed with grapefruits. Peeled like an orange, no sugar. But I SUPPOSE I’ll take it in sorbet form too. Twist my arm.

Sharla — February 14, 2013 @ 10:19 am

are you serious!? I don’t have an ice cream maker!!!

Molly — February 14, 2013 @ 10:30 am

I will absolutely be pinning this to make it. PS – my client makes adorable Hello Kitty ice cream makers (I saw a bunch of previous commenters lamenting that they don’t own one) – I would be willing to donate one to you to do a give away on your blog if you’re interested? Just email me if you are! Happy Valentine’s!

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots — February 14, 2013 @ 10:32 am

I will for sure be your valentine if your bringing this!!

Ashley — February 14, 2013 @ 10:34 am

Ummm, YES. I have about 10 grapefruit in the fridge right now. I keep buying them and not eating them fast enough because they keep going on sale at different stores. HA! So, I should probably make this. Chris loves sorbet and grapefruit…so maybe I’ll surprise him with it this weekend. I wonder if honey would work instead of sugar….

Heidi @foodiecrush — February 14, 2013 @ 10:47 am

Brussels Sprouts and Grapefruit. Probably the only two things I don’t love in the food game. But this…this…I may have to make an exception. For your grapefruit that is. Happy V-day, hope you get lots of good lovin’.

Melanie — February 14, 2013 @ 10:57 am

YES! Thank you!! I’ve got about 10 grapefruit wasting away in my fridge. (i bought them from my nephew’s fundraiser priced WAY above average and hated to pitch them!) I’ve been glaring at them resentfully for 3 days now.

Meghan @ The Tasty Fork — February 14, 2013 @ 10:59 am

Happy Valentine’s Day! I might have to buy myself the ice cream attachment as a little valentine’s gift! Great recipe!

Shannon — February 14, 2013 @ 11:23 am

YUM-O I have always loved grapefruit too! Also, as a kid never ate it with added sugar. I remember staying at my Grandma’s house she cut one up for me and sprinkled it with powdered sugar (I think more for pretty), but I wouldn’t eat it.

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — February 14, 2013 @ 11:39 am

This is totally making me pucker up on Valentine’s Day ;)

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — February 14, 2013 @ 11:53 am

Me likey. Except I haaaaaattteeee juicing citrus. Oh well, it appears to be worth it!

deva at deva by definition — February 14, 2013 @ 12:24 pm

this is so delicious! I normally eat my grapefruit with salt, but I LOOOOOVE sorbet.

Jimi — February 14, 2013 @ 12:26 pm

From a fellow grapefruit-lover since childhood – I did always eat mine with sugar until one of my classmates insisted it was better sprinkled with salt. You must try it! It brings out the natural sweetness of the grapefruit (as salt has a wonderful way of doing with many things). And my son (also a grapefruit devourer) and I will even add a pinch of salt to our grapefruit juice. So good!!!

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist — February 14, 2013 @ 12:28 pm

Ok I totally am the same about grapefruits. I have always loved them and all of my friends would look at me like I’m a complete freak. I was the only elementary school kid digging into a 1/2 grapefruit (no sugar) like it was cake. And during the winter, I would request one of those fruit shipments of just grapefruits, all for me. When I would bring a whole grapefruit for lunch every day in college (and peel and eat it, peeling off the membrane to cut some of the bitterness), people always asked if it was because I was dieting. Ummm…nope, just love being an elderly soul. :)

Amber (Sprinkled With Flour) — February 14, 2013 @ 12:29 pm

I love grapefruit sooo much, and this sorbet sounds absolutely perfect for today. Thanks for sharing! :)

Jessica H — February 14, 2013 @ 12:47 pm

Literally we are twins.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — February 14, 2013 @ 1:10 pm

About a month ago, I had a grapefruit surplus! I wanted to bake with them but never really found the right recipe. Going cold/sorbet sounds perfect! Love the bowl you have it in, too!

Abigail — February 14, 2013 @ 1:17 pm

The two best things about grapefruit, besides the taste? 1) The smell! I sometimes zone out at the market just clutching a grapefruit and smelling it. I do the same when I bring it home and take it out of the bag, and again right before I devour it! 2) The french word for grapefruit is pamplemousse.

Sarah @ The Cyclist's Wife — February 14, 2013 @ 1:26 pm

I’m happy to know you love grapefruit. Now how about making some kind of fancy Greyhound? That’s one of my fav cocktails!

Lindsey — February 14, 2013 @ 1:38 pm

I did the same thing as a kid! My friends would come over hungry and look at me like I was nuts when i suggested grapefruit. This sorbet looks so simple and wonderful!

Kim in MD — February 14, 2013 @ 1:54 pm

This looks so light and refreshing, and I love the color! Happy Valentines’s Day, Jessica!

Shel — February 14, 2013 @ 2:18 pm

This is just the recipe I needed today. My parents sent me a 5-pound bag of fresh grapefruit from Arizona and I had no idea what I was going to do with all of it. Sorbet it is! Thanks for the great recipe!

Paige — February 14, 2013 @ 2:23 pm

I like salt on my grapefruit. I know it sounds gross – but you’d be surprised.

• lisag — February 14th, 2013 @ 3:58 pm

I do too; just like on watermelon, cantalope, etc.

Eileen — February 14, 2013 @ 3:19 pm

Grapefruit is the best! Although I will say that I didn’t develop a real taste for it until high school. :) Sorbet is so clearly a perfect way to highlight the pure citrus flavor.

Lindsay @ The Live-In Kitchen — February 14, 2013 @ 3:45 pm

Well that is just the prettiest thing ever. And it does look so refreshing! Can’t wait to try it.

lisag — February 14, 2013 @ 3:57 pm

Love grapefruit! Especially in some Ambrosia. (Just don’t like having to peel everything.)

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — February 14, 2013 @ 3:59 pm

I’m with you- no sugar on my grapefruit either! This sounds divine.

Alissa — February 14, 2013 @ 4:34 pm

YES!! I have been craving a treat today, but not anything with chocolate or peanut butter. I know CRAZY since it’s Valentine’s Day. Thank you!

Laure — February 14, 2013 @ 5:06 pm

Ah, you’re not the only one who has always loved grapefruit, more specifically grapefruit without sugar! I’ve had it with sugar, but if you get the right grapefruit, heck even the wrong grapefruit, you really don’t need the sugar. I love the sweet and sour of the fruit. They’re just so delicious!

Emily — February 14, 2013 @ 5:09 pm

people put sugar on grapefruit???

1. Pingback: Top 10 Valentine's Day Sweet Treats - 80twenty

2. Pingback: » The Sunday Brunch Buffet 2/17/2013 The Live-In Kitchen

3. Pingback: MINT & GRAPEFRUIT SORBET | Wit & Vinegar

4. Pingback: Top 10 Fresh New Recipes for Grapefruit | Top 10 Kitchen

5. Pingback: Just In Case You Forgot About Memorial Day Too | oh so decadent

6. Pingback: Winter Fruit Salad + 5 Fresh Recipes to Get You Through the Final Weeks of Winter! | cups + spoonfuls