This is sort of… part 2 of last week’s whipped feta.

How To Make Roasted Garlic Oil I howsweeteats.com

Oh wait. That was two weeks ago. TWO WEEKS? What is happening? Time is flying before my eyes. Before I know it I’ll have the heat turned up too high with a bowl of Grape Nuts on my lap while Steve Tyrell plays in the background.

Errr. Yeah right. Too late for that.

How To Make Roasted Garlic Oil I howsweeteats.com

Now this.

This is so simple. So easy. Yet so… satisfying? It’s fun making flavored oil and feels domestic. It tastes complex which makes it feel even more special. It’s like you trick yourself into doing something cool that everyone else in the universe already knows how to do, but you still feel awesome.

At least that was my experience.

How To Make Roasted Garlic Oil I howsweeteats.com

I have been using this oil on everything. Most notably, on this salad that is making me want to eat salads. I’ve already eaten three this past week, which yes, means that I will probably be sick of it after my fourth considering I don’t know how to pace myself, but let’s relish in the moment, okay? Four salads. Four, people. Probably a record.

For a super easy treat, you can mix in a bunch of extra dried herbs and seasonings and use this as a dip for some bread. That makes a lovely meal. Or, uh, I mean appetizer. (Or meal.)

How To Make Roasted Garlic Oil I howsweeteats.com

And obviously, this is the oil that I drizzled over my whipped feta that was layered on the thickest, grainiest toast ever.

It’s a miracle I have not slathered it on my face as moisturizer.

How To Make Roasted Garlic Oil I howsweeteats.com

This is where all of my roasted garlic came from, FYI. It’s like a two-for-one deal, because you not only end up with oil but roasted garlic too! Excellent problem to have. I’m going to try to have this problem every week.

How To Make Roasted Garlic Oil I howsweeteats.com

Homemade Roasted Garlic Oil

Yield: 3 1/2 cups

Total Time: 1 hour

Ingredients:

4 cups olive oil
8 heads of garlic, with the tops sliced off
4 fresh thyme sprigs

Directions:

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

Place garlic heats cut-side down in a baking dish and cover with olive oil. Place thyme in oil. Cover with aluminum foil, then place the dish on a baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes. Using kitchen tongs, remove garlic and place on a paper towel to drain. Pour olive oil through a fine mesh strainer and keep in a seal tight container or jar. It should last about a month.

After the garlic has cooled, squeeze the cloves out of each bulb. Keep them whole or mash them with a fork, using as desired.

[lightly adapted from epicurious]

How To Make Roasted Garlic Oil I howsweeteats.com

P.S. this also makes your kitchen smell amazing. It’s like garlic oil potpourri.

66 Responses to “Homemade Roasted Garlic Oil.”

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — February 27, 2013 @ 7:59 am

This sounds incredible – gorgeous photos!

• Jessica — February 27th, 2013 @ 8:04 am

aw thanks!

Little Kitchie — February 27, 2013 @ 8:01 am

Love this! So much simpler than I would have imagined and to end up with all that extra roasted garlic…no complaints there.

Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche — February 27, 2013 @ 8:23 am

I make roasted garlic all the time but whyyyy have I never thought of doing this with it?!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — February 27, 2013 @ 8:24 am

Gorgeous pics Jess! I looooove roasted garlic and would pick it over butter any day. I typically get all my fancy olive oils from a shop nearby that has a whole bunch of infused ones, but they’re pricey and as you’ve shown, it’s not difficult to do it yourself!

Mandie @ Oh So Decadent — February 27, 2013 @ 8:25 am

This oil reminds me so much of the dipping oil they used to have at Johnny Carino’s, my favorite chain Italian restaurant that closed down in my hometown. I’m still bitter about this. Maybe I’ll make some of this and dip some Italian bread in it in the dark and cry myself about the tasty Italian dishes I am forever missing.

• Jessica — February 27th, 2013 @ 10:42 am

we have one here but i’ve never been there!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — February 27, 2013 @ 8:31 am

I love garlic oil potpourri! lol! I’m making this, this coming weekend!! Great recipe!!

Katie — February 27, 2013 @ 8:56 am

I am completely out of the habit of making roasted garlic and the resulting roasted garlic oil. With these lovely photos, I am inspired to get back into the swing of things. Though I don’t think I would be tempted to use it as a moisturizer. Lol!

Sarah — February 27, 2013 @ 9:09 am

Looks amazing, I love roasted garlic! Do you need to refrigerate this? Thanks!

• Jessica — February 27th, 2013 @ 10:41 am

i think that ideally, you probably do if you’re keeping it for a long period of time. i’m pretty sure anytime you add something to oil it can possibly introduce bacteria, which is why it might need refrigerated? not positive though. i split mine up and we used it fairly quickly so we didn’t refrigerate, but over a long period of time i would. it will solidify (most likely) and need to sit at room temp for maybe an hour or so before using.

• Sarah — February 27th, 2013 @ 12:05 pm

Thanks! I’ll give it a try :)

Annie @ What's Annie Making? — February 27, 2013 @ 9:13 am

I’m glad you put in the part about waiting until the garlic is completely cooled. I don’t know how many times I’ve been so impatient that I scald my fingers squeezing out hot buttery garlic. This looks so yummy!

• Jessica — February 27th, 2013 @ 10:39 am

ummm yeah – story of my life.

Ali @ Peaches and Football — February 27, 2013 @ 9:14 am

Wow this is fantastic! There is something so simple yet absolutely wonderful about roasted garlic. I love the idea of making it into an oil. I bet you could add all kinds of spices and make some great dipping oils for bread too. Would be great for parties!!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — February 27, 2013 @ 9:23 am

I’ve made garlic oil before, but not this way! Flavored oil is amazing, I made some the other day with red pepper flakes and paprika. It is very spicy! I imagine this would be great for pizzas too :)

Erin | The Law Student's Wife — February 27, 2013 @ 9:34 am

Plan for tonight: Make five quarts of roasted garlic oil, then liberally coat everything in my life!

Maria Tadic — February 27, 2013 @ 9:49 am

I had roasted garlic last night, shmeared all over whole grain bread that I toasted…aka pan fried in olive oil. THE best “meal” ever. You can never ever have too much roasted garlic…like ever!

Brie @ Entrée the Giant — February 27, 2013 @ 10:05 am

I think it was meant to be that I’ve been holding out on making your Whipped Feta. Today’s post is like a present to myself for being so patient :)

Now, I need to make BOTH of these recipes – asap.

Ever tried making homemade pita bread? King Arthur has an awesome, easy recipe that is SO much better than store bought. I’ll never buy pita again…

Jessica — February 27, 2013 @ 10:08 am

I was about to say that I think I could drink this with a straw… but then I was like “oh that’s gross…”
    Except I think I still would.

ashley - baker by nature — February 27, 2013 @ 10:09 am

Totally making this at my boyfriends place tonight! Nothing like the smell of gorgeous roasting garlic to cover up the smell of man cave!

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} — February 27, 2013 @ 10:26 am

I love making foods like this that make you feel so domestic.

Julia Jolliff — February 27, 2013 @ 10:28 am

I am going to try this out. I love the idea of infusing my own olive oil. Beautiful pictures by the way.

• Jessica — February 27th, 2013 @ 10:38 am

thanks!

Meg @ Peaches and Cake — February 27, 2013 @ 10:35 am

ERRRMAGERRHD I love it when you speak healthy fats to me!

Ashley — February 27, 2013 @ 10:35 am

I can’t believe I just made my first head of roasted garlic about 2 weeks ago. I think I need to catch up!

Maria — February 27, 2013 @ 10:39 am

I want to put this on everything!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — February 27, 2013 @ 10:39 am

Multitasking for the win! Love the double duty.

Katie — February 27, 2013 @ 11:09 am

Jess,

Perhaps you can help me. Do you think this is the oil that’s drizzled on top of cauliflower soup? I’ve always wondered what the little drops are on top of that. Must.replicate.now!

Thanks!
    Katie

Patti — February 27, 2013 @ 11:23 am

What a great idea! Salad dressing – genius! And your pictures are absolutely breathtaking/ We have a bbq blog, and I have lots of recipes where we used smoked roasted garlic

http://www.extraordinarybbq.com/smoked-roasted-garlic/ .

My favorite is the garlic butter, but I use it in pastas, vegetables – anything that I can think of. Roasted garlic is NEVER bad, right?it definitely puts a spin on roasted garlic, but I bet it would make a WONDERFUL salad dressing as well! I’d love to link back to this recipe, if you don’t mind, if I make a salad dressing with it?

FashionEdible — February 27, 2013 @ 11:29 am

Amazing! Beautiful photos and great idea! I could see all sorts of uses for this infused oil.
    FashionEdible Blog

Rebecca — February 27, 2013 @ 11:57 am

Four salads in one week? I think that secretly means you like vegetables. :D

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — February 27, 2013 @ 12:05 pm

Roasted garlic is fantastic. I never thought to use the oil for anything though, now I will!

Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes — February 27, 2013 @ 1:26 pm

Ooh la la – this looks amazing. I’ve been on a roasted garlic thing lately so this recipe comes just in time. Lovely, lovely photography!!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — February 27, 2013 @ 1:40 pm

Buying garlic infused oil can get so expensive at the store – never thought to make my own. Love the pictures (as usual). They are amazing!!

Carey on Lovely — February 27, 2013 @ 1:51 pm

This sounds awesome! I just did some garlic roasting myself.

Katie — February 27, 2013 @ 1:58 pm

Seriuosly – you TOTALLY read my mind! I was at TJs yesterday and wanted to get their garlic infused oil, but thought i can make this myself somehow…….I was going to google recipes this morning!

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — February 27, 2013 @ 2:33 pm

Delicious idea! If roasted garlic was a perfume scent, I would totally wear it.

Holiday Baker Man — February 27, 2013 @ 3:37 pm

I’m making some tonight!

Katie — February 27, 2013 @ 4:02 pm

You make garlic look like the most beautiful thing on the planet. I’m obsessed with these photos.

Erin @ The Food Doctors — February 27, 2013 @ 5:12 pm

I try to roast garlic every other week. I am totally doing this next time!!

Lindsay — February 27, 2013 @ 9:00 pm

Wow! Beautiful pictures–and the garlic looks so delicious! I cannot wait to try to recipe! Perhaps, this will become a new favorite! Thank you for the lovely post–

Emma — February 28, 2013 @ 7:10 am

So tasty! But I also need the recipe of the salad, looks amazing!

Amy — February 28, 2013 @ 9:18 am

Roasted garlic is the bomb, man. I like the way it makes the house smell just as much as eating it, but have never thought about adding it to oil. Smart.

zerrin — February 28, 2013 @ 5:56 pm

These are two ingredients ,ı love the most, but never thought of combining them! Will definitely try it! I’m afraid I can start snacking on it with a slice of bread before putting it into a jar!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — February 28, 2013 @ 5:58 pm

Something so delicious like a roasted garlic oil transports flavors to another level!! Love this recipe, Jessica :)

nicki — February 28, 2013 @ 10:17 pm

your recipe was featured on buzzfeed!!!!! haha so awesome. love your blog. http://www.buzzfeed.com/arielknutson/amazing-ways-to-eat-a-baked-potato-for-dinner

Audra | The Baker Chick — March 1, 2013 @ 4:28 pm

I am a sucker for anything involving roasted garlic- and this looks so easy and delicious. So many uses for that garlic too!

Gwen — March 8, 2013 @ 2:24 pm

I just added this to my clean living blog, it looks amazing! Thanks for the recipe!

Cornelius — March 30, 2013 @ 5:24 pm

It’s hard to come by experienced people in this particular subject, but you seem like you know what you’re
    talking about! Thanks

Becky @ A Calculated Whisk — April 11, 2013 @ 7:55 am

I made this the other night and am obsessed! I’ve been using the oil for everything–cooking eggs in it, randomly getting it out just so I can sniff it, etc. Thanks for the how-to!

Coffee PUre Cleanse Diet — May 8, 2013 @ 7:06 pm

Hey would you mind letting me know which webhost you’re using? I’ve loaded your
    blog in 3 different browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most.
    Can you recommend a good hosting provider at a fair price?
    Thanks, I appreciate it!

Mohamed Plaisted — June 30, 2013 @ 2:53 am

The main type of fat found in all kinds of olive oil is monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs). MUFAs are actually considered a healthy dietary fat. If your diet emphasizes unsaturated fats, such as MUFAs and polyunsaturated fats (PUFAs), instead of saturated fats and trans fats, you may gain certain health benefits. *’”;

Our own blog site <http://healthdigest101.com/index.php/

Monique — July 9, 2013 @ 2:21 pm

This is a topic which is close to my heart… Best
    wishes! Exactly where are your contact details though?

St8kout — July 13, 2013 @ 9:12 pm

I stumbled upon an olive oil shop in Vegas that sells all kinds of flavored olive oil. They let you sample as many as you want and roasted garlic infused became my favorite, but it’s quite expensive and gets used up fast as it’s great on just about everything, not just salads. Going to try to make my own using your instructions before I spend a small fortune getting my ‘fix’ from them. They also sell an outstanding Balsamic Vinegar that I mix with garlic olive oil for salads. Yum.

Tara — August 3, 2013 @ 3:58 pm

I just made this, but I forgot to place glass dish on a baking sheet! What is the purpose of it and will it still turn out ok?

1. Pingback: Around the Web: Recipes to try | Amanda's New Life

2. Pingback: GOG | East Coast Clean Living

3. Pingback: 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: DIY Homemade Presents | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: 12 Last minute DIY Gift Ideas! - Paper & Birch

5. Pingback: The REWM: Does a body good: 3-5-13

6. Pingback: Oven Roasted Garlic and Garlic Olive Oilp | Good lookin' cookin' recipes