So. Just how offended will you be if I tell you how to make a sandwich?

Avocado BLT's with Spicy Mayo and Fried Eggs I howsweeteats.com

It’s not that I’m assuming that you don’t know HOW to make a sandwich. I’m sure you do. But sometimes… you just forget how to make a killer sandwich. And when I say you, I mean us. Collectively as a group. One big group of invisible internet friends.

There are so many delicious meals out there that sometimes I don’t even think of my favorite simple combinations. And they are my favorite for a reason – because they are so freaking good. But noooo… I have to try and be all foodie-esque and make things complicated and occasionally disgusting all in the name of flavor.

Avocado BLT's with Spicy Mayo and Fried Eggs I howsweeteats.com

That is why I had to share my sandwich. I really wasn’t even going to tell you about this at all, but then I started taking pictures of my lunch on Monday and it all went downhill from there. It’s not like it’s just any old BLT. And it’s not like it’s just any old BLAT, or whatever it is that you folks call that with an avocado. It has avocado AND an egg AND spicy mayo.

So many things!

Avocado BLT's with Spicy Mayo and Fried Eggs I howsweeteats.com

And here is my key to a good sandwich: season every layer. EVERY LAYER. Well, okay in this case, don’t season the bacon. But everything else? Season the heck out of it. Just a tiny little sprinkle. Use your hands. You can control it that way. Salt shakers are the devil. Also, using your hands is more fun. You will forever find salt in all crevices of your house. It’s true.

Avocado BLT's with Spicy Mayo and Fried Eggs I howsweeteats.com

My bacon looks creepy and flat because I baked it. I gotta be honest: I am not a huge fan of baking the bacon. I would take a big skillet and flying grease and tiny burns all over my arms any day if it gives me crispy bacon. Whenever I bake it on the wire rack, it just flattens out and gets all… blah. Sure, it’s less messy, but also? It takes forever. Really, for-ev-er. Say it like you’re in The Sandlot. That’s how long it takes.

I much prefer my bacon to fry in it’s own grease and then it gets all wrinkly and crinkly and looks like it has ridges and if I’m being frank, it sort of just melts in your mouth. You know, the only way that bacon can melt in your mouth.

Avocado BLT's with Spicy Mayo and Fried Eggs I howsweeteats.com

Another thing I’m kinda weirdly particular on when it comes to my sandwiches is the lettuce. Sure, I’d technically prefer no lettuce at all (you know me so well), but then what would we have? Not a BLT… a BT? That’s weird. So I make it manageable by using loose lettuce greens, like the baby romaine above. I can’t stand when you bite into a sandwich and the singular, large leaf of lettuce comes flying out of the sandwich. I mean, come on. You know there is no way I am stuffing that greenery back inside.

This helps that wildly important world issue.

Also: must have seedy, grainy, crusty bread. Crusty in a good way, of course.

Avocado BLT's with Spicy Mayo and Fried Eggs I howsweeteats.com

Now that I’ve shown you about eight pictures of one sandwich and talked incessantly about it… can you give me some more sandwich ideas? I’m sort of in a sandwich mood. Oh, but one caveat. Does that even make sense? I don’t really love deli meat.

So if you could give me some additional high-maintenance sandwich ideas like this one, I’ll love you forever.

Avocado BLT's with Spicy Mayo and Fried Eggs I howsweeteats.com

Avocado BLT's with Spicy Mayo and Fried Eggs

Yield: serves 2

Total Time: 30 minutes (if you have to cook the bacon/eggs)

Ingredients:

6 slices thick-cut bacon, fried
4 slices whole grain bread, toasted
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon sriracha (or your favorite hot sauce)
2 bunches of baby romaine lettuce
1 tomato, sliced + seasoned with salt and pepper
1/2 avocado, sliced + seasoned with salt and pepper
2 eggs, cooked as desired

Directions:

In a small bowl, mix together mayo and sriracha.

Assemble the sandwiches: spread spicy mayo over the toast. Top with lettuce, tomato, bacon, avocado and eggs, making sure to season each layer (except for the bacon) as you go.

Yes, I just told you how to make a sandwich.

Avocado BLT's with Spicy Mayo and Fried Eggs I howsweeteats.com

Oh heck I’ll love you anyway.

171 Responses to “Avocado BLT’s with Spicy Mayo and Fried Eggs.”

Aggie — March 13, 2013 @ 7:07 am

This is so my kind of sandwhich!! It’s perfection.

Brian @ A Thought For Food — March 13, 2013 @ 7:07 am

A perfectly built sandwich. I love everything about this baby, but the oozing yolk has me drooling.

New South Food Co. — March 13, 2013 @ 7:10 am

I like to think I can make some pretty amazing and creative sandwiches but this sandwich looks pretty darn amazing!

Another one I like to do is to pan fry thick cut high quality deli turkey then top with spring mix tossed with raspberry dressing, garlic mayo, tomatoes and avocado. Put a little mayo on the bread before you toast in a pan and assemble.

Sandwiches are like homemade pizzas. You can get pretty creative with great results!

April @barbellsandbellinis — March 13, 2013 @ 7:11 am

BLTs are by far the best sandwich ever. Add a fried egg and avocado; now you have officially rocked my world.

Jen — March 13, 2013 @ 7:16 am

Looks great! With bacon and eggs it looks like it would a great breakfast too. Tonight I’m making sandwiches with leftover pork tenderloin that I have sliced thin and will top with some sauteed apples and onion. Now to decide what type of cheese….

ashley - baker by nature — March 13, 2013 @ 7:16 am

LOVE this! The egg on top seals the deal.

Hil — March 13, 2013 @ 7:17 am

Want crispy bacon out of the oven (even if it does take forever)? Just leave out the rack. Line a baking sheet with tin foil, lay out the bacon, place in a cold oven, turn oven to 375F and bake until done. Deliciously crispy, not so creepily flat, and the easiest cleanup ever.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — March 13, 2013 @ 7:24 am

Oh my gawwwwwwwsh… your eggs look so drippy and perfect!!! Such gorgeous photos, and you’re right- it’s GOT to be crispy, seedy bread. None of that spongy stick-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth stuff!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — March 13, 2013 @ 7:25 am

You may not eat it but you could press tofu, then freeze it for 2-3 days, press it again, and bake it. It will take on the texture of bread; not kidding. Super chewy! You can marinate it with anything from balsamic to peanut sauce before baking. But just trying to think of things that are high maintenance for you, since you asked :) I’m the queen! lol

Alicia Greenrabbit — March 13, 2013 @ 7:44 am

I love Fried egg sandwiches! Everyone thinks I’m crazy because I eat them.
    Toasted bread,mayo ,pepper and fried egg,now I can step it up with your yummy recipe.
    I found that cooking my bacon outside on the burner on my grill ,saves the clean up , and is fun to smell up the neighborhood with scent of bacon!!!!! Throw in a few marshmallows too!

Nicole F — March 13, 2013 @ 7:45 am

This looks absolutely AMAZING. I can’t wait to try it!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — March 13, 2013 @ 7:45 am

I have had a sandwich like this before, but it has never looked as beautiful as yours!!! I just love them!!! Mmmm, I want this for breakfast!!

Jessica — March 13, 2013 @ 8:18 am

Please tell me you ate the sandwich off the counter and all that drippy egg goodness didn’t go to waste?!

Simply Life — March 13, 2013 @ 8:19 am

oh that looks incredible! I love a sandwich based off of french onion soup- soooo good!

Genn — March 13, 2013 @ 8:24 am

Yummy!!!! This looks incredible! One of my favorite non-deli meat sandwiches is a good brioche roll with caramelized onions (butter!!), mozzarella and a fried egg!!

Bee — March 13, 2013 @ 8:27 am

Holy–
    I might have died and gone to sandwich heaven. WHY I have never eaten a fried egg on a sandwich, I do not know. But this post is clearly telling me that now is the time to start. This looks delicious. Beyond delicious. To delicious and beyond.

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — March 13, 2013 @ 8:28 am

Please DO tell me how to make a sandwich–this looks amazing. Simple is always the best, and I totally agree, seasoning every layer is key for pretty much everything.

Hmm…I tend to forget to make awesome sandwiches like this (because I never have the ingredients on hand), but I had an amazing sandwich at a local cafe with a gazillion types of cheese (provolone, mozzarella, etc) with soppresata, salami, and proscuitto, a spicy tomato jam, and there might have been some pesto too. It was amazing!

Tieghan — March 13, 2013 @ 8:30 am

This is the best sandwich I have ever seen! I love it so much! Anything with avocado is a given, but then top is with and egg and some bread! Wow! I want one now!

JulieD — March 13, 2013 @ 8:33 am

Wow!! That egg is gorgeous!! I will be making this soon! Very soon!!

Cookin Canuck — March 13, 2013 @ 8:45 am

Oh, that drippy egg yolk is calling to me. What a gorgeous sandwich! And I agree…bacon is just meant to be fried.

LV — March 13, 2013 @ 8:56 am

You should take a swing at making a Bahn Mi sandwich – it’s a vietnamese hoagie. My favorite is from a little place called QT’s in Philadelphia. Chicken Bahn Mi with extra jalapenos. So ridiculously good.

Dana — March 13, 2013 @ 9:05 am

thick good jam, perfectly oozy Brie, runny egg, English muffin. best ever

Dana — March 13, 2013 @ 9:06 am

thick good jam, oozy melty Brie, runny egg, English muffin. best ever.

Bliss — March 13, 2013 @ 9:09 am

My husband thanks you in advance. He’s been asking for BLTs, but they just sound so dry and boring to me. This seals the deal!

Complicated, fancy sandwiches? One of my favorites is a bahn mi. I bet you could make a killer shredded pork one (husband would thank you for that too), although i usually stick to tofu since it’s easy and less messy to eat. Or you could fancy-up (How Sweet Eats-up?) a Reuben in time for St. Patrick’s day!

Danielle — March 13, 2013 @ 9:15 am

Mouth. watering. now!

Ashley — March 13, 2013 @ 9:16 am

Ummmm 1. You brought up the Sandlot. I love you even more. 2. THAT EGG. 3. These photos! 4. You rule.

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — March 13, 2013 @ 9:23 am

i make something similar during the weekends when I’m not too lazy, but it’s not as pretty as these! I love that shot with the runny yolk.

ali — March 13, 2013 @ 9:33 am

this is my favorite sandwich too, although i usually only use regular mayo… spicy mayo takes it over the top :) check out grilled cheese social… she has amazing sandwich ideas…. i promise you will want them all….. ok, i’m exaggerating like you :)

Katie — March 13, 2013 @ 9:35 am

Everytime I go to make a sandwich, my brain goes completely blank. Like, can’t think of ANYTHING except for deli meat and maybe a pickle. So, thank you for teaching me to make a real sandwich.

Windy — March 13, 2013 @ 9:37 am

SAMMICH.

Last week I made a pretty spectacular grilled cheese that involved fresh mozzarella, avocado, and salami. It was accidentally like 800 calories. Oops. It may have benefited from a spread/sauce of some kind – cilantro pesto?

Lisa — March 13, 2013 @ 9:40 am

Sesame or onion bagel, split and lightly toasted. Fig and apple jam. Layer with aged cheddar, put under broiler till cheese is melted.
    Then forget cheese is like molten lava and fry your taste buds. Resolve to remember not to do that next time. Repeat.

Also, toasted sesame bagel, Boursin cheese, roasted red pepper and turkey. Alfalfa sprouts if you’d like to feel vaguely virtuous.

Haley — March 13, 2013 @ 9:41 am

i love sandwiches! i just got a new cookbook for sandwiches the other day. Don’t judge. It’s called the Encyclopedia of Sandwiches. You should check it out.

LouAnn — March 13, 2013 @ 9:43 am

this looks soooooooo good — now I have to go make something to eat!

Emily aka The Three Bite Rule — March 13, 2013 @ 9:43 am

Your sandwich looks to die for. I agree that everyone needs added encouragement for special sandwich making

Alyssa — March 13, 2013 @ 9:48 am

Your eggs are perfection! I’ve never seen them look so perfectly fried :-)

MB — March 13, 2013 @ 9:54 am

There is no better sandwich than the BLATE :) My husband and I make it all the time for a quick and easy dinner. I haven’t made spicy mayo though so I’ll have to try that on the next one. Great pictures!

Starla L. — March 13, 2013 @ 9:54 am

Okay, you want upscale sandwich ideas? My go-to sandwich is a Prosciutto, Provolone, and Fig Panini. Butter the outside of a couple of slices of seedy bread, and spread the insides with fig preserves. Then layer some baby spinach, the prov, and prosciutto on the bottom slice, and seal the deal with the other slice. I make my paninis in a grill pan and press them with the foil-covered bottom side of my cast-iron skillet, but you could use one of those nifty panini presses if you want to be fancy. :)

Chelsea — March 13, 2013 @ 9:56 am

This looks dreamy. I usually take lunch around noon and it’s beautiful and sunny here, make us a picnic?

Kristina — March 13, 2013 @ 10:04 am

I love you.

and I don’t eat bacon (still love me?), but I do tend to honor the traditional side of things. and that includes cooking bacon the old fashioned way.

Deborah — March 13, 2013 @ 10:04 am

There is nothing more beautiful to me than a runny egg like that. I’m dying!!

Emily K. @ Leaf Parade — March 13, 2013 @ 10:07 am

That runny yolk seals the deal. Nom.

Carly @ Snack Therapy — March 13, 2013 @ 10:08 am

If you don’t fry the bacon in a pan, you aren’t rewarded with bacon grease! Bacon grease is a magical thing.

Can I come over for lunch every single day? California isn’t that far, right?

Little Kitchie — March 13, 2013 @ 10:18 am

The simplest flavor combos are always the best! This is everything I love all in one ginormous sandwich, which makes me love it even more. I had to laugh at the line about salt in every crevice of your home, because THAT IS SO ME. Also flour. My husband LOVES it.

Megan {Country Cleaver} — March 13, 2013 @ 10:18 am

That egg alone just slays me. Like, dead.

Life is best lived with an egg on a sammich, I say. ~Anonymous (or me)

Michelle L — March 13, 2013 @ 10:20 am

I think you just showed me my new favorite sandwich! By the way, get the best of both worlds by baking the bacon right on a rimmed baking sheet rather than on a rack above it. Comes out perfect every time. Line the pan with foil, and there’s not even any mess!

misschelsmangia — March 13, 2013 @ 10:23 am

This is my kind o’ sandwich! I love me a good BLT. I am not really a fan of deli meat either I do love a roasted turkey or smoked turkey or pork though. Let’s talk about my latest fave sandwich…creamy goat cheese, bacon, fig jam and apple butter jam, maybe throw a few dried cranberries in there with some arugula…top off with a drizzle of balsamic! BOOM!

Tracey — March 13, 2013 @ 10:26 am

Gorgeous pics!! And can I just say – I totally agree with you on the baked bacon and I really thought I was the only one. Mine never comes out anywhere near as good as when I do it on the stove top!

Jess @ Some Snapshots Blog — March 13, 2013 @ 10:27 am

I`m so impressed that you got these pictures with that egg yolk still almost 100% intact! BLT as such a summer food for me- I keep hearing that I should put avocado on it, but I love it with B,L,T and cream cheese :-)

Some Snapshots Blog
    Jess

Meghan @ The Tasty Fork — March 13, 2013 @ 10:37 am

YUM! I always add avocado to my BLTs, but adding the egg takes it to the next level!! Plus, I’m not a big breakfast person, so this would be just breakfast enough for me to get away with serving at a brunch.

Shelley — March 13, 2013 @ 10:38 am

Is the bread you used from Trader Joe’s? If so, what’s the name of it? I’m always trying to find the thick, whole grain slices like you use, but I usually end up settling with another multigrain loaf, which is great, but much more thin + regular sandwich-like looking than yours! Thanks!

• Jessica — March 13th, 2013 @ 10:39 am

nope this one is actually just from my local grocery store – it’s called prairie bread, i think?

• Shelley — March 13th, 2013 @ 10:50 am

Thanks! It looks delicious! My husband + his friends always joke that I like that “bird seed bread” =]

1 2 3

1. Pingback: What I Ate: Avocado BLT | The Three Bite Rule

2. Pingback: Friday links | Whitbull

3. Pingback: Daily Dinner Idea: Avocado BLT | The Nest Blog – Home Décor, Cooking, Money, Health & Sex News & Advice

4. Pingback: Weekend Reading // 05 // Elembee

5. Pingback: Tahoe Retreat | back seat eater

6. Pingback: 10 sandwiches qui vont vous rendre dingue | L1FO.ma

7. Pingback: Pinterest time | van de Blog

8. Pingback: Weekend Wonderings

9. Pingback: {WISHFUL} Wednesday | Set All Afire

10. Pingback: Avocado BLT’s with Spicy Mayo and Fried Eggs Recipe

11. Pingback: August 14th and 15th Bag… | O`ahu Fresh

12. Pingback: How to Pimp 5 Classic Sandwich Fillings from Our Childhood

13. Pingback: 9 Unfortunate Truths About Juicy, Scrumptious Bacon | InfoCnxn.com

14. Pingback: 9 Unfortunate Truths About Juicy, Scrumptious Bacon | Wonderful Tips

15. Pingback: 9 Unfortunate Truths About Juicy, Scrumptious Bacon | Doohickey

16. Pingback: Exactly How I Cook My Sunny Side Up Eggs For Food Photos | How Sweet It Is

17. Pingback: BLT Sandwich Recipes for a Perfect Breakfast | Favorite Food RecipesFavorite Food Recipes

18. Pingback: More Bacon Info… | DropFire