1. I debated on whether or not to go ahead with today’s Tuesday Things in light of the recent events in Boston. All my life I’ve WANTED to be a runner, but could never do it; until this last year where I’ve dabbled in it quite a bit. I don’t know if it’s that fact that made this disaster hit me hard, or that my cousin/best friend/life saver is in the final training stages for her own marathon or that my husband (which some of your might remember) used to run marathons and I’ve been a crowd spectator/supporter/shouter many times. As devastating as some of the more recent tragedies have been in our world, I sometimes find myself struggling to relate because I am so far removed from the situation or scenario that I just cannot imagine. If you have never considered yourself a runner or been to a marathon before, I think that Teri’s post perfectly describes how so many feel right now. Out of all the articles and information that has come forth in the last day, I found it to be the most well written, most raw, most comforting and truest. It’s real. I heart it. Read it.

2. You know how I’m obsessed with banana baked goods and all things s’mores? This is a freaking s’more made out of banana bread. What. My name. Written on it.

3. On Saturday I made a buffalo chicken pizza as I so often do, but I think I let it sit on the pizza peel too long. Because it wouldn’t budge when I tried to slide it on to the pizza stone in the hothothot oven, so it fell on to the oven floor. The 450 degree floor. The entire house was filled with smoke. However, I managed to save the pizza since food comes before my own life in this house.

4. Potato chip cupcakes have been on my list to make for some time now, so I just about lost it when I saw this salt ‘n vinegar chip topped chocolate cake. Want it. Need it.

5. I’m freaking out over these toys from the 80s & 90s. I totally forgot about fashion plates. I’m sort of ticked that mall madness didn’t make the list because that was THE BEST GAME EVER. In fact I am very tempted to scour my parents basement because I’m sure it’s still there. Wanna play?

6. I am way too invested in Nashville. It’s probably good there is not a new episode on tomorrow. I need a life.

7. Taking my burger obsession to a whole new level, I had a taco-rub burger with freaking tortilla chips on it over the weekend. You can bet that it’s being recreated immediately.

8. As your weekly bad influence, I feel that I must share than until the 21st you can get 15% off everything at Sephora with the code CHIC. I think you need to spend $25 to use the code, but man, that’s like practically free. Go ahead. Stimulate the economy.

9. I have been blowing through books lately. I’m talking like maybe three a week? Would you like to know about them? I definitely wouldn’t “review” them because I am a horrific critic, but I can at least tell you my thoughts. Even though I’m definitely chick lit for life, I’ve read a few non-mind numbing novels lately. Shocker.

10. This is not normally something I’d go for, but these roasted snap peas look so darn good to me. Maybe I’m turning over a new leaf. Probably not.

11. After a swift kick in the pants from many of you, I’ve stuck to updating my weekly menu at the bottom of the site. What are you having for dinner tonight? I get so bored. Wah.

12. Target spring and summer clothes. Ugh. I need to be put in Target jail.

84 Responses to “Tuesday Things.”

PerfectlyJenn — April 16, 2013 @ 1:09 pm

I’m definitely interested in hearing which books you’ve loved recently!

• sally — April 16th, 2013 @ 6:16 pm

would love to know what you’re reading as well! xo

Amy — April 16, 2013 @ 1:10 pm

I love hearing about the books other people have been reading!

Julia Kent — April 16, 2013 @ 1:11 pm

Oh yes yes yes! I’d LOVE to hear what you’re reading and your general thoughts. In the meantime, check out my book club’s blog – lots of great reads and reviews! http://www.unputdownablebookclub.com
    Julia

Johanna — April 16, 2013 @ 1:11 pm

I love these posts! I also always find myself reading really quickly, but in my case it’s not good, it’s just sth I taught myself during uni, but it means nothing sticks, so when something shocking happens in books, it often takes me completely by surprise, because I already can’t remember what happened on the pages leading up to it!
    Oh and I really love strange flavour combinations (think Jasmin Tea and Weizenbeer, not mixed in a glass, but drunk at the same time nom nom) so the salt and vinegar topped chocolate cake definitely sounds like my sort of thing!

Alyssa — April 16, 2013 @ 1:12 pm

What?? There’s no Nashville tomorrow??

• Jessica — April 16th, 2013 @ 1:12 pm

not positive, but i think it’s a repeat?

• Alyssa — April 16th, 2013 @ 1:14 pm

I don’t have cable, so I tend to rely on Netflix. I will have serious withdrawals this summer.

Kristina — April 16, 2013 @ 1:15 pm

fashion plates. YES. my friends and I were talking about all the Fisher Price toys recently – I wonder what happened to all of those things from my childhood…? are they all still at my parents house somewhere in a magical pile of nostalgia? *gasp*

YES that cake. uh muh guh.

Kayley Maybe — April 16, 2013 @ 1:17 pm

LOVE getting ideas for new books to read – please post!

Adriana — April 16, 2013 @ 1:17 pm

HOW do you manage to maintain your figure with all the yummy foods you make?! I’m in awe.

Alysa (InspiredRD) — April 16, 2013 @ 1:18 pm

My sister had that Pillow People girl! And the fashion plates…so awesome.

I tried to get Leila a Polly Pocket for her birthday, but they don’t make the cases like they used to. Which means pieces everywhere. Which is no good. Bummer!

Ali — April 16, 2013 @ 1:19 pm

I love Nashville so much! You aren’t alone in your addiction.

Katelyn — April 16, 2013 @ 1:20 pm

Watch The Americans tomorrow night instead (since Homeland is between seasons or whatever and Keri Russell/Felicity is AMAZE).

kim@hungryhealthygirl — April 16, 2013 @ 1:20 pm

Thanks for sharing Teri’s post. It is so beautifully written. Do share what books you’re loving!

Candice — April 16, 2013 @ 1:23 pm

Omg, fashion plates, yes! And Mall Madness – the game that taught you how to charge and empty your ATM. It’s amazing I’m not better at dressing myself considering all the time I spent on fashion plates

I would love to read about what you’re reading…

bridget — April 16, 2013 @ 1:25 pm

I probably shouldn’t tell you this, but I live in Nashville and they have open calls for people to be in the show sometimes…like to be in the crowd or what not.

April @BarbellsandBellinis — April 16, 2013 @ 1:25 pm

Would love to hear your book suggestions. I am about to start 11/22/63 by Stephen King at the recommendation of Recipe Girl, but I’m always looking for book suggestions – especially for summer beach reading.

Dinner tonight is deconstructed Tzatziki Marinated Chicken Gyros. It’s a recipe I’m creating, so I’m hoping they turn out ok!

JulieD — April 16, 2013 @ 1:30 pm

Going to read Teri’s post now but wanted to say, I couldn’t stop thinking about my brother yesterday. He did his first marathon a few years back in DC and while most of us (family) couldn’t be there to cheer him on, a friend was there and he taped his finish. My brother was injured but he wanted to finish. I remember watching the video and being so proud of him and being so emotional because he was limping-jogging to the finish. I can’t imagine what those runners and those families are going through right now in Boston. xoxo

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — April 16, 2013 @ 1:32 pm

I laughed out loud about your comment that food comes first in your house – TOTALLY true for me too. Can’t even count all the times I’ve badly burned myself trying to save food. No regrets.

nancy k — April 16, 2013 @ 1:32 pm

I live just a few miles outside of the City of Boston. When I was in high school, my family moved into a home that was at Mile Marker 17 of the Boston Marathon. I rememebr the first Marathon in that house…there were fewer runners then but I will never forget the feeling of seeing all those people with the same goal in mind and the same determination. The wheelchair participants made me weep as did those runners who were still running long after the major portion of the pac had pasted. They still had 9 miles to go and still had to face Heartbreak Hill but nonetheless, they were determined. This event has always been a joyous one for our part of the world and I hope that the horrific events of yesterday …the actions of one or more lunitics…do not leave an open wound for all those who so love to run and love this race. My prayers go to those who have lost so much in this tragedy.

Erica W — April 16, 2013 @ 1:34 pm

books books books!
    Do you use GoodReads?

Jessica — April 16, 2013 @ 1:35 pm

While I did dabble in Mall Madness, I was much more of a Girl Talk enthusiast.
    ALSO you should know that without reading the title of that article, I was scrolling through thinking “OH MY GOD THERE’S NO WAY MY PARENTS PAID THIS MUCH FOR THIS!” Right.
    AND… really with the Sephora code, Jessica? REALLY? (psiloveyou)

Jessica — April 16, 2013 @ 1:38 pm

One of my favorite sites to find books is Good Reads, you rate the books you have read (I haven’t figured out how to review them yet) and it will give you books based on the genres you pick you like and the books you’ve already read. Then when you pick a book it gives you all the reviews of other people who read them. I will go through like 3-5 books a week. Kills my bank account since I just buy the e version and I always need the book right that second. But sooo totally worth it to buy them!

• Liselle — April 18th, 2013 @ 10:47 am

And if you love Goodreads, you will ADORE the Goodreads app! It has a scanner on it that you can scan the UPC on books at Target and add them to your list of “To Be Read” books. It’s an obsession of mine now.

• Liselle — April 18th, 2013 @ 10:48 am

I should clarify – you can scan books at any store. I just live at Target.

Tasia — April 16, 2013 @ 1:44 pm

I get so bored with my weekly food menu too, that’s why i look to you for advice! I plan to make your buffalo chicken soup because i probably make that at least once every two weeks and am so in love with it!

This week i’m making these enchiladas which are amazingggg (bad for you but so good)

Making this Mushroom Soup: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pan-roasted-mushroom-wild-rice-soup-10000001895910/

Also this weekend i’ll make these {Fluffy Ricotta Lemon Pancakes } no one even knows they are weight watchers friendly! : http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeid=381901

Elise — April 16, 2013 @ 1:45 pm

Please discuss the books you’re reading! I always love reading what others are digging and adding it into my to-read list! :)

Jess @ Keeping It Real Food — April 16, 2013 @ 1:58 pm

Target jail—seriously. I spent $60 yesterday in, like, a minute. Whoops.

Megan Dyan — April 16, 2013 @ 2:02 pm

YES! to sharing books!

Victoria V — April 16, 2013 @ 2:10 pm

I am OBSESSED with Nashville. And now I’m bummed there’s no new episode!? *sigh* I need my Deacon and Gunnar fix.

And yes, I’d love to hear what books you’ve been reading. I need to bulk up my summer reading list!

Ashley — April 16, 2013 @ 2:11 pm

MALL MADNESS 4 LIFE!!! I thought of your obsession with the snap pea crisps when I made the roasted version. :) And, i’m no help with dinner ideas. I’m terrible at planning, plus we have FOURTEEN inches of snow and Chris has the car…I’m stuck inside!

kristin — April 16, 2013 @ 2:13 pm

yay nashville! i always watch every ep 2-3 times. i LOVE that show so much. being from texas, i can’t help but love all of the music.

Nicole — April 16, 2013 @ 2:28 pm

I read your blog for the longest time before I realized this “Crumbs” section exists, and now I look forward to Tuesday every week (yes, I am pathetic). Anyway, you might consider putting these posts in your normal home page feed, since it’s easy to miss!

Tieghan — April 16, 2013 @ 2:28 pm

Target jail! Ha! Girl I think you NEED to be a spokes person for target! I swear I have spent way to much money there because of your target “promotion”!

Thank you so much for linking my banana bread S’more! I had a feeling you would love them!

Clara — April 16, 2013 @ 2:29 pm

Yes! Would love to hear what you are reading!

Jenni — April 16, 2013 @ 2:32 pm

I had forgotten all about Mall Madness, I adored that game! Can still hear the voice in my head though lol “There is a sale going on at the…shoe store”

Would love to hear about the books you’ve read – always on the lookout for new stuff, despite already having a “books to read” folder in my Evernote nearing 200…what can I say, bookworm for life…

Kaitlin — April 16, 2013 @ 2:35 pm

I have been a bookworm for the past few months! Would love to know what you are reading!

Liz — April 16, 2013 @ 2:39 pm

I’d like to hear what you are reading!

Amanda — April 16, 2013 @ 2:49 pm

I think Jill also did I nice job writing a response to what happened

But I could be biased as I know her, know she had just run in a 5K here in Pittsburgh this past weekend, and I believe she has plans to run in the Pittsburgh Marathon this year.

Lily — April 16, 2013 @ 3:05 pm

Would love to hear what you are reading!! :)

Christine R. — April 16, 2013 @ 3:07 pm

Yes, please talk about books!

Angie K — April 16, 2013 @ 3:27 pm

oh my lord….MALL MADNESS!!!!! sign me up, i’ll totally play! …it was the ONLY thing I asked for for Christmas that year….I wonder if my dad still has that at his house somewhere??!! I’m dying!
    and YES! tell us what you’ve been reading…non-sense/chic lit/smut welcome <3

Elaine — April 16, 2013 @ 4:19 pm

Tell us about the books please!

Larry — April 16, 2013 @ 4:47 pm

I. Am. SO DOWN TO PLAY MALL MADNESS!!!
    There’s a gay club out in San Francisco that has a night called Mall Madness. It’s amazing. You would love it for all the big hair, bright makeup, and neon clothes that people sport. Ah-May-ZING.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — April 16, 2013 @ 5:03 pm

Off to read Teri’s post next…but Tiegan’s and Russsel’s goodies never fail to make me hungry!

Thanks for posting today and for carrying on with your Tuesday Things. It’s nice to read something that makes me smile today :)

Bridgiskor — April 16, 2013 @ 6:31 pm

Oh man! Really you have been on a reading spree? I have been on a reading funk, and this coming from a freelance editor. If I’m not reading my clients’ work, then I am more than likely just reading (your) blogs. Put up a list! I am in Chick Lit withdrawal. Have you read Sophia Kinsella’s book “I’ve got your number?” Thinking of that after I read Gone Girl, which I hear is fantastic…. Once. These.Deadlines.Are.Over!

Bridgi

Vanessa — April 16, 2013 @ 6:57 pm

YES! Book list please!!

Sara Gelder — April 16, 2013 @ 7:03 pm

I think you nailed it for me, the reason why this tragedy has bothered me so much. This one really, really hits close to home on so many levels in many different way. Thanks for that, it brought some comfort.

Yes I want your book ideas and ALL OF THE TOYS. If only I knew that damn Polly pocket would be worth something someday

Laura — April 16, 2013 @ 7:35 pm

1) Thank you for that post about the Boston Marathon yesterday… it’s left me really upset and I appreciated your friend’s take on it.

2) Regarding your pizza collapsing in the oven, one of my favourite childhood memories is the time my mom made her world-famous cheesecake (an endeavour that takes 2-3 days for it to set & bake in various stages) for a party she was going to be attending, and she was baking it in a springform pan after 2 days of working on it. The springform pan popped open as she took it out of the oven and it collapsed on the oven door. My mom cried. Us kids rejoiced and pulled up chairs to eat it with forks off of the oven door.

3) Yes to book recommendations!

cindy — April 16, 2013 @ 8:26 pm

I would have lost my GD mind over an entire collection of carebears, for sure…and i LOVED mall madness…and mall shopping.

I’ma make a sephora purchase, also…have to!

Lacy — April 16, 2013 @ 9:17 pm

love you. it’s also fair to say you have been more of a lifesaver to me than i have you. xxoo.

Stephanie @cookinfanatic — April 16, 2013 @ 9:29 pm

Target jail. Hahaha love it. I’ll be there with ya lol gets me every time! As for Mall Madness – by farrrrr my favorite game when I was younger AND I’m pretty sure the parents still have it at their house… what are the chances I can lure you to VA with a round of pretend shopping dictated by an automated computer voice all while using fake moniezzzzz?? :)

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — April 16, 2013 @ 10:00 pm

I remember desperately wanting one of those dear diary things!!! And yet, I couldn’t keep an actual notebook diary for the life of me…fail. I always find that amusing, considering I now write a blog, haha :)

Mimi @ Culinary Couture — April 16, 2013 @ 11:23 pm

LOL-ing at number 3, and I’m a big fan of Nashville too.!

1. Pingback: tuesday’s entirety. - meals & moves | meals & moves