Today I’m solving all problems with chips.

Homemade BBQ Sweet Potato Chips I

Don’t they say that foods that crunch relieve stress? I don’t know who “they” are and unfortunately they probably suggest eating a carrot to solve the issue, but I vote chips. All day, every day.

Lately I’ve run across the predicament of developing recipes that solely revolve around tex-mex situations or burgers or sandwiches. I’m sure you’ve noticed. Just when I think I’ve got a handle on it, I deal with that full force and combine the two. I sit down and make these giant lists of recipes to make for my invisible internet friends and then instead decide that weirdly flavored enchiladas are appropriate or that I can attempt to turn anything – I mean, anything – into a taco and margarita fest.

Today I’m just giving you something you can eat with your burgers. Or with your beer. Or your hot dogs! Or with your emotions. You know. Whatever works.

Homemade BBQ Sweet Potato Chips I

Oh… and if we’re being reeeeeal honest… something to put on top of your burgers. Or inside your sandwiches.

You know it’s the best.

Homemade BBQ Sweet Potato Chips I

I’ve never been a giant chip eater unless salt ‘n vinegar or bbq kettle cooked chips were staring me in the face. Sometimes I love the crunch for a sandwich-type lunch but for once in my lifetime, one of those itty bitty single sized, fairly appropriate portioned bags often does the trick.

So weird.

The only place I really get wacky about chips is Target because they have omgthebestflavorsever and I just cannot get enough. I usually end up buying three or four bags and opening them all at once and having a chip tasting party in my car. So trashy.

It happens.

And the only time I get wacky about chips in restaurants is when they are freshly homemade and served with blue cheese. Like, lots of blue cheese. Ugh. Love that.

The deal? Homemade potato chips are sort of high maintenance, especially of the sweet potato variety. They just take a while. In hindsight, they are still easy to make – you simply have to be willing to stand in front of a hot pot of oil for a long while, tossing and turning and draining and seasoning. It is 100% COMPLETELY WORTH IT. Say it with me. Worth it.

Maybe not worth it for a giant group of people, like a gigantic gaggle of adolescent males who will eat you out of house and home. But for one person, like maybe a husband that does the same? Or a small group? These are so fun and delicious. Or just for yourself. You deserve it.

Homemade BBQ Sweet Potato Chips I

This little seasoning mix I throw on top of the chips is my go-to “bbq flavor” that I’ve perfected to our liking since first making my crockpot bbq beer chicken. I encourage you to play around with it a little if you like – use regular paprika if you don’t want smoky or add a little extra cayenne for some kick – whatever you want. This is a spice rub that I use multiple times per week in our house and I have no qualms in saying that it has taken me a year to feel like I realllllly got it right. And we are talking about me: Miss No Patience.

Anyhoo, go getcha some chips this weekend. Make ’em! You will not regret it. Even when you eat them all in on sitting… you will not regret it.

Homemade BBQ Sweet Potato Chips I

Homemade BBQ Sweet Potato Chips

Yield: serves 4 appropriately, 2 obnoxiously

Total Time: 1 hour

2 large sweet potatoes, ends chopped off
canola oil for frying
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon onion powder
1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Add about 4 inches of canola oil to a large pot and heat over medium high heat, fitting the pot with a candy thermometer. You want the oil to be at 350 degrees F, so if it continues to rise, turn down the heat a bit underneath.

Cover a large cutting board with paper towels. In a bowl, combine paprika, onion powder, brown sugar, garlic salt, chili powder, salt and pepper.

Scrub sweet potatoes and pat dry with paper towels. Slice as thin as possible using a mandolin or a very sharp knife. Add chips in batches to the hot oil, frying for 4-5 minutes at a time, using a large slotted spoon to turn the chips over while frying. Once chips are golden and crispy, remove with a large slotted spoon (or a kitchen spider) and place chips on the paper towels to drain. After about 30 seconds, sprinkle with the homemade bbq seasoning and toss well to coat. Let cool completely. Make sure chips aren't piled on top of each other so they can cool and crisp up. Serve immediately!

Homemade BBQ Sweet Potato Chips I

Um and oh – you should probably dip them in this.

83 Responses to “Homemade BBQ Sweet Potato Chips.”

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — May 24, 2013 @ 6:53 am

I love sweet potato fries and I can only imagine how much I would love sweet potato chips. They look so good!!!! Dam you, now I need to get my Fry Daddy out!!!

Tracy | Peanut Butter And Onion — May 24, 2013 @ 7:07 am

Wicked cool. I have to try these

Brian @ A Thought For Food — May 24, 2013 @ 7:08 am

We have a deep fryer that likes to get some lovin every now and then. I think I know what I’m going to make next!

Jenn from Much to My Delight — May 24, 2013 @ 7:11 am

I love that your tags for chips are “side dishes”, “vegetarian” and “vegan”. That’s awesome. Those seriously look like orbs of wonder with magic dust sprinkled on top. I need that kind of vegan side dish in my life!

• Jessica — May 24th, 2013 @ 7:12 am

haha, right?

Erin | The Law Student's Wife — May 24, 2013 @ 7:11 am

Dear Potato Chip Soulmate, Let’s get together and take down: 1) Salt and Vinegar, 2) BBQ (my top 2), 3) Archer Farms Chipotle Cheddar (try it if you haven’t) and 4) An enormous basket of these crunchy sweet potato wonders. I have never craved BBQ chips for bfast until today!

• Jessica — May 24th, 2013 @ 7:12 am

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — May 24, 2013 @ 7:16 am

These sound so fun to make! Such a lovely snack!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — May 24, 2013 @ 7:20 am

I love sweet potatoes so much, I don’t mind the fact that they’re high maintenance!! :) I hope you have an awesome Memorial Day long weekend Jess!

Tieghan — May 24, 2013 @ 7:29 am

Ah what the heck? I have NEVER herd of chips with blue cheese?? How can I get these, where can I get these? I need those chips with blue cheese! That just sound incredible!

I am not normally a chip person unless my chicken is crusted in it or they ar on top of some crazy burger/ sandwich, but my gosh BBQ sweet potato! Plus they are homemade!! I think I need to do this.

Lindsey Stu — May 24, 2013 @ 7:49 am

I’m sorry but WHAT is a kitchen spider? That sounds terrifying.

Becks @ eatwriterunrepeat — May 24, 2013 @ 8:02 am

ohmygoodness. as someone who may or may not have just devoured an entire bag of Trader Joe’s sweet potato chips…THIS IS AWESOME. I will be making these. today.

TidyMom — May 24, 2013 @ 8:12 am

I need these in my life…….like NOW!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 24, 2013 @ 8:17 am

Omg they are gorgeous! I’d pay you to mail me these. Seriously. Wow. I hate dealing with fry oil but gosh, it may just be worth it! Sweet potatoes, too – which totally trump regular potatoes. Pinned! So pretty!

Belinda @themoonblushbaker — May 24, 2013 @ 8:36 am

I LOVE these kind of chips but because of my fear of deep frying I have never made them myself. I love to serve them with wasabi mayo and a sake and tonic (twist on a gin and tonic) for a Friday night nibble.

Katie — May 24, 2013 @ 8:41 am

I don’t even like chips, but I want to make these and dive into the bowl.

Elinor — May 24, 2013 @ 8:42 am

Um what restaurant do you go to that serves chips with blue cheese?!!? That sounds unnnreal.

Maria — May 24, 2013 @ 9:16 am

I’m coming over for chips! Oh, and I want to see you too:) Miss you! xo

Amanda @ Food, Fitness, Faith — May 24, 2013 @ 9:17 am

omgomgomgomgomg. These looks absolutely amazing! I’ve never had a desire to make my own chips but now I most certainly do! wowza.

Kathy — May 24, 2013 @ 9:25 am

I need to get a mandolin ASAP! These look delicious!

Molly @ Baklette — May 24, 2013 @ 9:25 am

SOunds delicious! Can’t wait to try the spice mix! I love making my own spice mixes!

Liz @ Tip Top SHape — May 24, 2013 @ 9:33 am

Bahaha, these look like the perfect chips to go with emotions.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — May 24, 2013 @ 9:38 am

These are awesome!! I could so go for a handful with my lunch this afternoon!

FashionEdible — May 24, 2013 @ 9:43 am

These look amazing! I have never intentionally made chips before (though I did slightly burn thinly sliced zucchini once- does that count?). I have bought them before but as always, I prefer the idea of controlling the exact ingredients that go in my food :)

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — May 24, 2013 @ 9:48 am

Seriously want some of these chips!!! Look delish!!!

josie — May 24, 2013 @ 10:04 am

please tell me you at least eat potato chips on a sandwich…OMG that is the best!

Kare @ Kitchen Treaty — May 24, 2013 @ 10:08 am

Confirmed: you are an evil genius (of the very best variety).

Jenn(CookiesCupcakesCardio) — May 24, 2013 @ 10:40 am

YUM!!!! Oh my…I can’t wait to make these.

Heather — May 24, 2013 @ 10:57 am

Woman, what are you trying to do to my waistline?! OMG.

allie@sweetpotatobites — May 24, 2013 @ 11:05 am

I’m not a big chip eater at all, but I can totally get on board with this. LOVE the idea of sweet potato chips!

Kari@Loaves n Dishes — May 24, 2013 @ 11:09 am

I’m loving these yummy chips just how they are, but I’m also imagining them with that blue cheese all over them! Oooh eeee!

Katie @ Veggie and the Beast — May 24, 2013 @ 11:35 am

HA! This post cracked me up. Your pictures are always beautiful, but I LOVE these photos. They make me want to crunch away my emotions like whoa.

Cate — May 24, 2013 @ 12:05 pm

My jaw just dropped. Yum! Enjoy the holiday weekend!

Michelle — May 24, 2013 @ 1:10 pm

These look amazing! I clicked through to your BBQ chicken in the slow cooker and then your homemade BBQ sauce! Both look great! Making your own BBQ sauce is so much fun and pretty cost effective. I recently made a no sugar added version that I love, love, love on crock pot pulled pork.

You can read about it here, if you want!

Elizabeth — May 24, 2013 @ 1:13 pm

I LOVE making my own chips, and these look absolutely amazing! I can’t wait to try this recipe!

Jade Sheldon — May 24, 2013 @ 1:28 pm

Goodness gracious, these look delicious…

Moni Meals & Fitness — May 24, 2013 @ 1:36 pm

I love you for this. So YUMMY! Great for the long weekend. :)

Cheri | Kitchen Simplicity — May 24, 2013 @ 2:06 pm

Love the combination of sweet potatoes and BBQ seasoning. A match made in heaven!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat — May 24, 2013 @ 2:52 pm

Love sweet potatoes! This is a perfect and healthier way to satsify my need for something salty and crunchy!

Eileen — May 24, 2013 @ 2:57 pm

OMG, homemade chips! These look SO good, and totally worth the minutes standing over the frying pan with a wire spider at the ready. Yay!

Emily @ Life on Food — May 24, 2013 @ 4:57 pm

Perfection with a capital P.

Pretend Chef — May 24, 2013 @ 5:28 pm

Oh my! I love homemade chips so much better. These look so delicious. A labor of love.

Larry — May 24, 2013 @ 7:48 pm

I’m a freaking connoisseur of chips! I love them LOVE THEM. Understatementofthecentury. And this look so damn good.
    Also, I had SUCH a “that’s what she said” moment when you said: I encourage you to play around with it a little if you like.
    I’m such a kid.

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — May 24, 2013 @ 9:22 pm

Yeah…. potato chips are my weakness (especially homemade ones!)! I always want to eat just *one* more!!!

PapaLos - The Man, The Chef, The Dad — May 24, 2013 @ 11:22 pm

They sound like some great chips! I feel like a doof for never frying up sweet potatoes like that. Sounds perfect for this weekend!

Oh, and chips inside sandwiches = the best freaking thing ever. I get weird looks but they don’t know what they’re missing.

shannon — May 25, 2013 @ 7:13 am

these look and sound incredible! perfect for my memorial day menu (which i am busy making up right now.) Thanks!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl — May 25, 2013 @ 10:59 am

I’m 100% eating these with my emotions! Lovely share, thank you!

Abbe@This is How I Cook — May 25, 2013 @ 2:12 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only one that breaks open the bag of chips while driving. Should be illegal!

Maggie — May 25, 2013 @ 5:45 pm

Don’t worry, I also open the bag(s) of chips to sample while driving. Maybe I’ll try a baked version of these? They look awesome!

foodwithpictures — May 25, 2013 @ 7:52 pm

Anna — May 25, 2013 @ 8:55 pm

MORE!!! I need more flavours (dill pickle, honey garlic, salt and vinegar…mm) Do you think the seasoning would taste great on chips made from white potatoes?

Amy's Cooking Adventures — May 25, 2013 @ 9:12 pm

Yep, super amazing! I could eat a ton of these!

1. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Orange Cookies | The Man, The Chef, The Dad

2. Pingback: Crockpot Cheesesteak Pulled Chicken | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Things I like Thursday | Crazy Jamie

4. Pingback: Links That Light Us Up — Women On Fire

5. Pingback: Football Food! [135 Recipes For Football Season.] | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: Football Party Food: Hot Dog Bar | Mod City Mag

7. Pingback: Tried It, Loved It: August and September Edition | Well of Health

8. Pingback: 17 Delicious and Easy Finger Food Recipes | Style Motivation

9. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Orange Cookies - The Man, The Chef, The Dad

10. Pingback: Last Minute Super Bowl Recipes - The Sweetest Occasion — The Sweetest Occasion

11. Pingback: Inspiration to fuel your creativity, live simply, grow closer to God, and enjoy life!

12. Pingback: Potato Chips- bet you can't eat just one! | Daily Holiday Blog

13. Pingback: 10 Tricky (and Delicious) Ways to Get Kids to Eat Vegetables! | MomAssembly

14. Pingback: MRKTsoirée: A Summer BBQ + Recipes | MRKT – vintage, handmade, restored

15. Pingback: 50 homemade gluten-free back to school snack ideas | purelytwins

16. Pingback: Tailgate Thursday {bourbon-candied ginger and onion dip with homemade sweet potato chips} | A Tasty Life