I ignored *everything* bagels for a long time.

Everything White Bean Hummus I howsweeteats.com

I mean, a really long time. I think it was the whole onion thing. I thought I didn’t really like onions back in the day but I think that was only because they are a vegetable and also because they were semi-offensive in raw form when I was a kid.

Then you learn that onions are like, the basis of all beautiful flavors and that you should get your act together.

Then you eat an everything bagel and think you’ve died. So good.

Everything White Bean Hummus I howsweeteats.com

Speaking of bagels, I have a giant bone to pick with Dunkin Donuts. Do people – and by people, I mean the majority of the general population – not like their bagels toasted or something? Like really toasted? Because every time I get a bagel there, it’s barely warm with not a hint of golden toastiness. So for the last few years I’ve been asking for it toasted “well done” and ummm… it looks the same. I find myself screaming into the drive thru intercom (because god forbid I get off my lazy rear and actually WALK inside) PUHLEASE REALLY TOAST MY BAGEL. LIKE I WANT IT BROWN.

Ugh. I’m very passionate about this. Obviously.

Everything White Bean Hummus I howsweeteats.com

It’s just that when I want something toasted, I want it toasted. We’ve already discussed this though so I won’t bore you again. I just don’t get it when people want something toasted and by toasted they mean slightly warm with no crunch.

Now that you think I’m a stark raving lunatic, I’m guessing you’ve maybe also figured out that this hummus is supposed to be like an everything bagel. That would be correct. Yay for smarts.

Here’s my stance on the everything seasoning: I think it’s best when it’s all meshed together and covering something. Does that make sense? That is why I didn’t stir it all into the dip. The hummus certainly has flavor: roasted garlic, toasted sesame oil, all that good stuff, and the seasoning will most likely get swirled throughout this silky beans when you’re dipping your favorite cracker inside, but I think it works best when just showered on top.

It’s prettier too. Pretty food = less calories. Just decided that right now.

Everything White Bean Hummus I howsweeteats.com

Everything Hummus

Yield: serves 2-4 as a generous appetizer

Total Time: 15 minutes

3 cups cooked cannellini/great northern beans (or 2 cans, drained and rinsed)
6 tablespoons olive oil + more for drizzling
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 whole head of roasted garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons dried minced onion
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 tablespoon dried minced garlic
1 teaspoon flaked sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
crackers for serving

In a small bowl, combine dried onion, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, garlic, sea salt and black pepper. Toss to mix.

Add beans and roasted garlic to a food processor and pulse and blend until combined the beans begin to puree, about 2-3 minutes. With the processor still going, stream in olive oil and sesame oil, blending continuously for a few minutes (and scraping down the sides if needed) until as smooth as desired. Add salt and taste, adding more if desired but remember - all of the seasoning will go on top.

Add hummus to a bowl and drizzle with extra olive oil. Pour everything seasoning overtop and serve immediately.

P.S. it is essential that you like the "everything" seasoning to enjoy this!

Everything White Bean Hummus I howsweeteats.com

Cracker stack! It’s like a cracker and hummus cake. Let’s make it a thing.

156 Responses to “Everything White Bean Hummus.”

Laurie E. — June 6, 2013 @ 1:13 pm

I’m sorta glad we don’t have a Dunkin Donuts in my neighborood if they don’t know what toasted means. I prefer Panera Bread for bagels anyway. Their Asiago Cheese bagel is to die for.

• Jessica — June 6th, 2013 @ 1:25 pm

agreed!! please tell me you’ve tried making them before. i have a recipe on here!

• Laurie E. — June 6th, 2013 @ 3:01 pm

I have never attempted bagel-making as the process (from what I’ve seen) seems quite daunting and time consuming. I did find your recipe, and if I ever have a day where the mood for homemade asiago bagels suddenly hit me, your recipe is the one I’m pulling out. YEAH!

Great Stone Face — June 6, 2013 @ 1:47 pm

I would save a half a handful of cooked beans to pile up in the center. It looks nice and it lets folks know what they’re eating — if it was a chickpea hummus, I’d do the same. Maybe some flat-leaf parsley or cilantro leaves scattered on top, too. And, because I always overdo, maybe a sprinkle of hot Hungarian paprika.

Eileen — June 6, 2013 @ 1:51 pm

So many seeds! This hummus sounds like it’d be the most amazing texture. I can just imagine it with a plate of raw veg–crispy times two!

Katie @ Veggie and the Beast — June 6, 2013 @ 1:55 pm

I love everything bagels so much that I don’t even care when the poppy seeds get stuck (like STUCK) in my teeth. This dip looks the same way – delicious enough that it can make my smile look speckled, because what do I care? Everyone’s just jealous of what I just finished eating.

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist — June 6, 2013 @ 1:56 pm

totally want to make it a thing!
    And I hate the non-toasted toast too! My dad asks for toast and expects it charred, and I expect mine perfectly golden. If it’s not golden, it doesn’t make melted butter look heavenly…there’s just no point.

Larry — June 6, 2013 @ 1:57 pm

You’re like, a genius.
    A genius of food.

• Laurie E. — June 6th, 2013 @ 3:04 pm

Her pictures are amazing! I look forward to her posts everyday! Best blog on the block.

Lizzy — June 6, 2013 @ 3:38 pm

My new truth. Pretty food = less calories. I’m so glad you decided this today. Ha!

Amber — June 6, 2013 @ 3:54 pm

This. I might live off of it for the next year. Also just came from target…archer farms S’MORES coffee. I died.

Chels R. — June 6, 2013 @ 5:49 pm

I love everything bagels. I am drooling.

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner — June 6, 2013 @ 6:16 pm

I love my bagels, toast, and bacon almost burned. Barely toasted is not an option.

Also, I am all about different kinds of hummus, and this looks awesome!

Vicki @ WITK — June 6, 2013 @ 6:19 pm

I thinK your cracker stack could use a few more crackers :)

Emily — June 6, 2013 @ 6:35 pm

Tim Horton’s here in Canada is the same with the lack of toastiness. I always have to ask them for my bagel “double-toasted”. it needs to be crunchy enough to hold it’s own against an obscene amount of herb and garlic cream cheese. Also, this dip looks AH-mazing.

• April — June 7th, 2013 @ 6:27 am

Same suggestion…I tell them “toasted twice” and I’m good. I don’t understand the while barely toasted thing either! Now I want a bagel!

Courtney @ BakeMeBetter — June 6, 2013 @ 7:33 pm

So good! I want this now.

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — June 6, 2013 @ 7:41 pm

How yummy! Love that last picture – can never have enough dip or hummus on your crackers!!!

tracy {pale yellow} — June 6, 2013 @ 9:05 pm

I used to avoid everything bagels like the plague because of the onions too! Now I order onion bagels straight up. This dip looks fantastic, I can’t wait to whip up a batch!

Luv What You Do — June 6, 2013 @ 11:23 pm

I love hummus and would love to find a new recipe to try! This looks fantastic! I am saving it now!

Abbe@This is How I Cook — June 6, 2013 @ 11:26 pm

I do white beans a lot as a topping for bruschetta. Everyones loves it. But I don’t do white beans like this. That is gonna change!

Ashley's Cooking Adventures — June 7, 2013 @ 12:38 am

Wow what a great idea, I bet the flavor combinations with the white beans make this super yummy!

ATasteOfMadness — June 7, 2013 @ 2:20 am

I used to work at Tim Hortons, and we had a machine to put the bagels in to toast, so it was predetermined because some weirdos don’t really like their bagels toasted. So what most people do is asked for it “double toasted”, which is basically like normal people toasted. Weird, but I guess we couldn’t satisfy everyone.
    But I bet you could satisfy everyone with this hummus. Wow, what a great idea!

cheryl — June 7, 2013 @ 6:44 am

You must try Panneras Mediterranean Egg White on Ciabatta
    Egg whites, a thick slice of Vermont white cheddar, roasted tomatoes, fresh spinach, & basil pesto on freshly baked Ciabatta. – I even made my own version at home minus the cheese and added basil instead of spinach. So good

nessa — June 7, 2013 @ 7:12 am

Everything bagels are my fave! This looks like a great twist on traditional hummus.

Kristi — June 7, 2013 @ 7:29 am

I love everything bagels, so I’m imagining everything hummus is to die for.

Sarah — June 7, 2013 @ 7:35 am

I have yet to open an email from you to find a recipe that I would never try. I love your pictures and your food…divine! Thanks for keepin’ it classy! ;)

Dana Ivy — June 7, 2013 @ 8:13 am

1. This looks so relish that I may attempt to make it later today.
    2. I just randomly stumbled upon your blog and you are really funny!!
    3. You just gained a new follower :)

TiffanyAzure@CremedelaCrumb — June 7, 2013 @ 10:46 am

Okay seriously, why can’t people just toast the bagel to an acceptable crunchiness?? It’s like when you tell the lady at the counter you want LOTS of ketchup and she only gives you three packets. Come on people, give a girl a break will ya?

Loving this everything hummus, I must try it. :)

• Maggiee — August 5th, 2013 @ 10:30 am

Is there anything worse than driving away from a take-out window, opening your bag to eat your fries and finding **ONE!!!*** packet of ketchup?

Alicia Greenrabbit — June 7, 2013 @ 11:02 am

Oh ,this one is going to the 4th of July party!!!!!
    I grew up in Brookline Mass. ,which is predominantly Jewish( I’m not ) and I ‘ve been eating bagels my whole life. Those are not Bagels at Dunkin Donuts!! Not chewy enough and definitely not toasted enough! If you ever get near a Bruegger’s that’s the quick fix to a real bagel!!!
    AND they don’t put garlic on them …bad Dunkin Donuts! Shame on them!

• Alicia Greenrabbit — June 7th, 2013 @ 11:05 am

Try 1644 Cochran Road in Pittsburgh ,they have a drive through too!

Sarah — June 7, 2013 @ 12:18 pm

OMG I want to bite my computer! I love hummus. Thanks so much for this recipe, I’m going to eat it with veggies!!

Terri A. — June 7, 2013 @ 12:23 pm

That looks amazing – I love everything bagels and usually end up with many poppy seeds stuck in my teeth. I’m making this this weekend.

Diane {Created by Diane} — June 7, 2013 @ 1:56 pm

Oh this looks so delicious, I can’t wait to try it. I especially like it piled high on the crackers, or should I say the NEW cake!

Chels R. — June 7, 2013 @ 3:13 pm

I have yet to get my act together and eat an everything bagel…mostly because of the onions. I’m still learning, yo! :) I’ll get there! But this looks amazing! This I will eat!

jeri — June 7, 2013 @ 10:10 pm

I’m so making your everything spread and putting it on an authentic NYC everything bagel. I just hope my head doesn’t explode. I feel your pain on the DD situation. They do the same thing with coffee. No matter what you ask for, you get milk and two sugars, which is NOT how I like my coffee. I didn’t even bother to hit them up for a free donut for National Donut Day. That’s a major statement, because the only thing better than a donut is a FREE donut.

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats — June 7, 2013 @ 11:41 pm

love everything bagels. i bet this is awesome. Oh, and I looove my bagels toasted too…dd’s employees are lazier than us going through the drive through, so they dont EVER fully toast my bagel.

Renee @ Awesome on $20 — June 8, 2013 @ 10:36 pm

I hear you on the onion thing. They freak me out. I’m curious as to why you used cannellini beans instead of chickpeas? I’m sure it’s still awesome, just wondering. This looks pretty amazing.

Melissa — June 9, 2013 @ 10:31 am

I made this yesterday and LOVE it. I subbed hot chili sesame oil for some heat. LOVE. Thanks!

Iconoclastes — June 9, 2013 @ 11:11 pm

If it’s a *real* bagel, and for that ya pretty much have to travel into Brooklyn or Queens, probably Manhattan, these days, and I’m at the bagel shop, then no, I don’t like it toasted. Even for the next couple days, if I take a bag home. But I ‘ll usually slice a bunch and freeze ’em, so yeah, toaster. And inferior bagels, yeah, generally need to be toasted. And yes, that means a brownish crust. But they’re not *real* bagels.

• Marian+D — January 15th, 2015 @ 3:57 pm

Totally, totally agree . DD bagels need toasting. Not real NY bagels!

Emily aka The Three Bite Rule — June 10, 2013 @ 1:24 pm

This looks AHHHH-mazing! What a great idea! I agree that Dunks doesn’t know what toasted means. I also dream of a day when there is “everything-ness” on the bottom half of the bagel.

Nutmeg Nanny — June 12, 2013 @ 11:31 am

This looks and sounds incredible! I love trying different variations of hummus :)

Steph — June 14, 2013 @ 12:37 pm

Just made this, and ate so much I feel ill. It was amazing. All of your recipes lately are right up my alley!

Pixie — June 17, 2013 @ 5:54 am

This sounds divine! I think I’m going to have to try this!
    I NEED my toast to be toasty! If it’s not crunchy, then what’s the point? It’s just like plain bread! I love making unusual dips, so this looks like my kind of thing! :) Thanks!

Hannah — June 19, 2013 @ 8:23 am

Oh My. A few weeks ago I made this incredible smoked eggplant dip for a small gathering of people… I made waaaayyyy to much. (Sort of on purpose.) Cut to me the next day, pretty much eating the dip straight out of the bowl with a spoon. Oh Dear. I think I can see that this one will go exactly the same way. So very happy then to read pretty food = less calories. Very, very happy news! Thanks xx

Jax — June 19, 2013 @ 9:25 pm

I made this tonight after eyeing it for weeks and it is SO delicious. Thank you!

Katie M. — June 25, 2013 @ 12:38 pm

You cook with a whole head of garlic. I love you. My family is like “omg, two cloves of garlic is way too much for half a pound of pasta.” Come on people.

Colleen — July 1, 2013 @ 1:42 pm

Oooo, this sounds super nommy. I know a couple of friends who would probably adore this too, I should make it the next time I hang out with them!

Meredith — July 8, 2013 @ 7:18 pm

This hummus was amazing. Paired well with bagel crisps!!!

rexgirl — August 5, 2013 @ 4:18 pm

I know what you mean about the toasted thing…I have to practically threaten them at the local cafe (not even a chain store!) to BURN it. I have to be forceful and look them in the eye…and STILL sometimes it’s just barely golden brown. though…they know me now and it’s been improving. when they get it right, I always ask who made it and give him a huge smile.
    life’s too short for fake toasting.

Cindy — September 11, 2013 @ 1:17 pm

i must say, when i saw this on pinterest a few days ago, my mouth watered. i went right out the next day to buy a few of the ingredients & made it yesterday. shared w/ my kids when they arrived home from school and it was a hit!!! MY WORD was it good. roughly, how long will it last in the fridge? hubby is out of town this week til Friday & he’s dying to try it! thanks so much for sharing!!

Mel — January 2, 2014 @ 2:48 pm

It’s so hard to find tahini paste in my area so I started using sesame oil and sesame seeds too with no loss of flavor.

Stephaniedem — January 4, 2014 @ 9:50 am

I know this is a delayed comment. I feel the same way!!! No restaurant knows how to toast a bagel toasTy brown. Not warm with a hint of color—Golden perfectly brown!
    How hard is that. It seems like they do not want to babysit a bagel to get it the right color. BIG PET PEEVE OF MINE TOO!!!!!

Michelle — January 8, 2014 @ 3:42 pm

Everything bagels = my favorite thing in the world. I have a feeling this everything hummus may be my new favorite thing in the world. :)

betsy — January 12, 2014 @ 3:32 pm

Wow! What a great recipe. I don’t even know how I discovered your blog but I love that I have! I will be trying many of your recipes. This hummus is amazing!