It’s disturbingly fitting that I should share a dinner recipe with you on this fine little Monday.

Because last night… I ate ice cream for dinner.

But it’s summer! So it’s okay.

And yes. I DID grill some salmon and covered it in bacon. How wrong is that? I mean, how right is that? Don’t fear, due to prior experience, I knew it would work.

The thing is that I tend to go through salmon lulls. If you’re no stranger to this place on the web where I talk about food to my invisible internet friends, then you know that I have about a billion and one salmon recipes. Or you know, like twelve. Same thing. I say this every time. The point is that I’ve covered it in a dijon cream, broiled it with brown sugar and made a toasted sesame version and occasionally when I buy salmon? I have NO idea how to prepare it. Still. It’s like my brain is wiped clean and I’m starting from scratch. I find myself covering it in my favorite BBQ sauce and calling it a day.

Then there are other days when I can’t get my hands on a filet fast enough (like this one a few weeks ago? hello copper river salmon) because I’m dying to cover it in a mix of maple syrup and mustard and then top it with bacon. It just feels inappropriate. But it tastes so good.

Since we are all about grilling everything this summer, that salmon filet found itself directly on the grill just in time for dinner. I’ve also decided that grilling the fish is my perfect solution for when I buy salmon with the skin on. I’ve tried to cut it off myself and due to my horrifically embarrassing knife skills (or lack there of) I end up destroying the entire piece of fish. WAH. I often broil my salmon skin-side down, but this is even easier. when my life is made easy and I get to eat the results.

I feel like there has been a severe shortage of bacon in my life lately and for no fault other than my own. Our fridge has been so jam-packed that I actually sort of… lost the bacon. And then I got too lazy to find it and the worst thing on Earth to me was digging through that fridge and then I ended up buying two extra pounds of bacon when I couldn’t find any and and and… ugh. Now I have a lot of bacon. This was pointed out to me last week my husband made me a BLT. Which, um, hi – is huge. He made me something that is not chicken or steak and did so all on his own. It was even his idea!

He’s learning.

Easy Grilled Maple Dijon Salmon with Bacon

Yield: serves 2-4

Total Time: 35 minutes

1 1/2 pounds fresh salmon filet, skin-on (about 1-inch thick)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons dijon mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Brush both sides of the fish with the olive oil.

Whisk together the dijon and maple syrup. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the salmon, then spread the entire top with the dijon mixture. Place the salmon on the grill, skin-side down. Grill for 12 to 14 minutes, or until fish is flakey and opaque. Remove and crumble bacon on top. Slice salmon into pieces and it should easily come away from the skin. Serve immediately.

This is so right.

63 Responses to “Easy Grilled Maple Dijon Salmon… with Bacon.”

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — July 15, 2013 @ 7:00 am

Ohhhh, yum! I love the flavor combination you used!! And ohhhh, the bacon on top! Yes please!!! Gosh I have’t had salmon in a long time. You have inspired me! I need to make some salmon this week and add bacon to it!!!! Have a great week Jessica!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat — July 15, 2013 @ 7:07 am

Salmon is one of my fav fish. Love this recipe!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — July 15, 2013 @ 7:09 am

This would be my hubby’s dream meal! He loves salmon and with bacon, even better. I just want the maple dijon all over everything :)

Sarah — July 15, 2013 @ 7:21 am

Yumm, i

Belinda @themoonblushbaker — July 15, 2013 @ 7:23 am

Surf and turf salmon! what a great idea. I the contrast of very crispy bacon and the rich firm flesh of the salmon. I can not wait to see what things you come up with that bacon.

Sarah — July 15, 2013 @ 7:23 am

I couldn’t even finish my last thought. So much do I want to eat this Salmon.

Quinn Cooper — July 15, 2013 @ 7:30 am

UMMM salmon and bacon, yesss please!
    This sounds amazing. I’m always looking for good salmon recipes that doesn’t involve the BBQ, as I live in NYC and barely anyone has one.
    Thanks for sharing.
    xo Quinn

Quinn Cooper Style

Tracy | Peanut Butter And Onion — July 15, 2013 @ 7:34 am

Love Love Love salmon…. I am defiantly trying this !!!

Lauren @ The Highlands Life — July 15, 2013 @ 7:42 am

I seriously love me some salmon. It is such a great fish. I am totally going to put this in the docket for meal ideas!

Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen — July 15, 2013 @ 7:45 am

Ohmygoodness this has my name written all over it. Salmon? Check. Bacon? Check. Maple? Check. Totally making this sometime this week!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — July 15, 2013 @ 7:46 am

Ohhhh this looks so good, but it’s rather tragic because last night I ran out of propane!!! Gah as soon as it’s refilled… this will be happening. :)

Tieghan — July 15, 2013 @ 8:49 am

Yes! Look freaking perfect!

Katie — July 15, 2013 @ 9:01 am

salmon and bacon! and maple and mustard! So many good things here.

Melissa — July 15, 2013 @ 10:06 am

Looks good, I like the addition of maple syrup!

Marcie @ Flavor the Moments — July 15, 2013 @ 10:37 am

This is one flavor combination that I love with salmon! I’ve never done the bacon with maple and mustard, but it looks and sounds like a winner to me!

Megan — July 15, 2013 @ 10:51 am

I just really need a grill. This dinner looks so awesome.

Lauren — July 15, 2013 @ 10:53 am

The BEST part of grilling salmon is eating the crispy skin. It’s almost as good as chicken skin! Don’t let it go to waste!

Caitlin — July 15, 2013 @ 11:14 am

MMM! Delish! I actually just so happen to have bacon AND salmon in the fridge! I think this was meant to be!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — July 15, 2013 @ 12:34 pm

Wow!!! Amazing!!! Want for dinner!

Larry — July 15, 2013 @ 12:47 pm

Um… hi, lover. ♥♥♥

Dana Ivy — July 15, 2013 @ 1:43 pm

I made a dish so similar to this! (Sans the bacon though) – Maybe I’ll post it on my site!

Dana Ivy – Check out my blog!!

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — July 15, 2013 @ 2:01 pm

Yummm… I’m seeing salmon everywhere right now and it makes me wish someone other than me liked it in my house! My roommate gets grumpy when the house smells of fish :( But grilling will surely be the way to go!

Gema — July 15, 2013 @ 2:52 pm

This looks incredibly delicious! Definitely going to try this!

Honey, What's Cooking — July 15, 2013 @ 3:11 pm

oooh yum. salmon is like my favorite thing to order at any restaurant… love it with dijon, so flavorful.

Des @ Life's Ambrosia — July 15, 2013 @ 6:50 pm

Salmon perfection!!

Laura — July 15, 2013 @ 7:17 pm

Salmon and bacon together sounds like a great combination! Can’t wait to try it!

Jenni — July 15, 2013 @ 8:25 pm

You might attract some Paleo fans with this recipe. Damn it looks so good. I’m not even really a bacon person (I know, I know) but this looks incredible!

Kiran @ — July 15, 2013 @ 8:54 pm

Can’t go wrong with salmon and bacon deliciousness!

Luv What You Do — July 15, 2013 @ 10:37 pm

Love ice cream for dinner!!!
    Someone just told that mustard is great on salmon. I need to give that a try!

Emily @ Life on Food — July 16, 2013 @ 5:50 am

Salmon is my favorite fish and I cannot get enough of it right now. Filling but oh so light in this wicked hot weather.

La Torontoise — July 16, 2013 @ 7:18 am

I love salmon, and can imagine this coating will make it taste great! Will try it the next time I take wild salmon.

Maria Tadic — July 16, 2013 @ 8:09 am

This looks so good – salmon is just a great palate for sauces like this! Did you put the salmon directly onto the grill? Mine always sticks…even with oil! Have any tips for that?

t.a. helton — July 16, 2013 @ 9:09 am

I WILL be trying this very soon! OMGosh!

dervla @ the curator — July 16, 2013 @ 9:40 am

yay for husbands making food for us! And i’m sorry, i just don’t understand what’s wrong with a surplus of bacon!

Allison @ bakingyear — July 16, 2013 @ 10:13 am

I don’t eat bacon, but everything else about this recipe looks absolutely delicious! Cannot wait to try out the salmon!

kate — July 16, 2013 @ 10:13 am

our go-to salmon recipe is embarassingly easy but literally is so addictive that sometimes i have to go to the store and get salmon because i just HAVE to have it right.that.second.

Honestly, I swear I’m not this type of home cook who just uses a bunch of pre-prepped ingredients but do me a favour and try this the next time you’re making salmon and feeling lazy. Mix mayo and Club House Salmon spice in a bowl and then slather it on the salmon. Then cook the salmon for 20 minutes at 400º. Honestly…it’s like heaven.

• Lisa — July 16th, 2013 @ 8:58 pm

What is Club House Salmon Spice and where do you buy it? Thanks!

Lisa — July 16, 2013 @ 10:26 am

Never enough salmon recipes! Never had it with bacon. Made buffalo salmon on the grill not long ago!!

Coco in the Kitchen — July 16, 2013 @ 12:44 pm

Salmon never tasted this good!

Barb | Creative Culinary — July 16, 2013 @ 12:56 pm

Some of my favorite flavors all in one dish? I’m sold.

ThePixie — July 16, 2013 @ 4:16 pm

This looks SO good. I’ve just been getting back into salmon and since I’m pretty sure I have all the ingredients, I shall make this.

Nessa — July 16, 2013 @ 4:33 pm

Kim in MD — July 16, 2013 @ 7:41 pm

Oh my…I love salmon and this looks crazy delicious. This will be dinner tomorrow night! Dinner last night was your awesome chopped salad with feta, bacon and avocado – my family loved it! I’m craving it as I type this! :-)

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — July 16, 2013 @ 11:51 pm

*sigh* all of my favorite things…

Tammy — July 17, 2013 @ 1:44 am

Can you make this in the oven, and if so, at what temperature and for how long?

Meg Jones | The Spatularettes — July 17, 2013 @ 8:03 am

Made this last night and loved it! I don’t have a grill (#apartmentliving) so I just cooked it for 12 minutes on a hot cast iron on the stove top and it turned out great!

Emily — July 21, 2013 @ 8:43 pm

Made this for dinner tonight–it’s great. I would have never thought to put bacon on salmon, but this works! Thanks!

Meredith — July 28, 2013 @ 7:39 am

This recipe is easy and delicious. I made this last night for dinner for my husband (who is obsessed with anything bacon) and I. We had to restrain ourselves from eating the whole piece of fish, it was that good. Sadly, during prep time, we had terrible thunder storms so I used my grill pan and the broiler setting on my oven to make it…This would have tasted even more incredible on the grill.

Rebecca — February 3, 2014 @ 4:31 pm

We don’t have a grill at my college house… if I were to bake this what temp/ time would you suggest? Would it turn out as good?

Melanie — June 10, 2014 @ 2:08 pm

Just made this and I love dijon and I love salmon. I opted to broil this as the hubs was painting a bedroom per my request. I also cooked up some pancetta, Trader Joes sells a fabulous little package of diced pancetta so its no work at all to cook this right up. (and I was out of bacon). Thanks for the great recipe!

Kathy — December 31, 2014 @ 1:15 pm

I made this last night and I’m not sure if I should have let it sit a bit to marinate. I thought it was good, my husband and kids just thought it was alright. They said they didn’t think there was much flavor. I think next time I make this, after I brush the mustard/maple on it, I will pop it in the fridge to sit for an hour or so.

• Kathy — December 31st, 2014 @ 1:18 pm

Actually, from reading the recipe again I think I know what happened. I had a piece of salmon fillet that they removed the skin from, so I brushed the glaze on both side of the fillet and grilled both sides. I basically was grilling the flavor off, since I did not marinade it at all. I will try this again and know it will turn out better!

1. Pingback: Friday Five: Summer To-Do’s | Cooking With Cara

2. Pingback: Friday Favorites – 2013.07.19 | This Nest is Best

3. Pingback: Friday Five: Recipes, Workouts, Posts & People I Love

4. Pingback: Five for Friday: New Recipes | House Blend

5. Pingback: The Academic Triathlete – Weekend Recap

6. Pingback: Meal Planning: Week 7/29-8/3 | Get Big, Go To Work

7. Pingback: 15 Grilled Fish Recipes You Will Enjoy

8. Pingback: Easy Grilled Maple Dijon Salmon with Bacon - International Wine of the Month Club

9. Pingback: Saumon grille au sirop d’erable et moutarde de Dijon avec du bacon accompagne de salade et pommes de terre | Katia's Kitchen

10. Pingback: Spring Entertaining | My Red Glasses | Fashion Through My Red Glasses From Roz Pactor

11. Pingback: Maple Dijon Salmon with Bacon |