Yeah. I actually did this.

Sweet Corn Ice Cream with a Salted Caramel Swirl + Chocolate Covered Potato Chips I

It sounds complicated, right? I promise it’s not. I hate having such long titles for recipes but could I seriously leave something out of this one? The answer would be no. Sweet corn ice cream, caramel swirls and chocolate covered potato chips are all extremely significant. They play a very large role in my life at the moment.

I have a problem. I can’t stop making ice cream. This ice cream isn’t even the ice cream I made yesterday. Yesterday I remade an ice cream recipe that’s in the book because I love it so much. It kinda sorta maybe contains one of my favorite things in the universe… can you guess what that is? Probably not since many things are my favorite things.

Girl problems.

Last night when I stuck that ice cream in the freezer, I realized that I had FOUR other ice creams in there. I don’t even know who I am anymore.

Since I’ve talked and tweeted about it for a week, I’m sure you’ve surmised that this ice cream was inspired by the sprinkle cone I had on vacation. I came back, unpacked and immediately made ice cream on Monday morning.

The difference is? That ice cream on vaca was a salted caramel flavor with chocolate covered potato chips. Don’t hate me: I don’t love caramel. I think it’s just a temporary thing (no, I’m not knocked up) and that perhaps… I am finding myself burned out on the sweet and salty sugar. I’ve been a caramel fan since I was a kid and these days, it just doesn’t do it for me – at least not in large amounts. I admit that I solely ordered that ice cream flavor due to the abundance of chocolate potato chips I spied from above the glass.

Good choice.

So I knew that I wanted a touch of salted caramel in the ice cream, just not an overwhelming amount. I went back and forth on ice cream flavors and was completely stumped, figuring I’d have to do something boring like VANILLA. Ugh. Vanilla. How terrible.

Jk, jk. Drama.

Then I remembered sweet corn ice cream. I wasn’t sure that anything could be more fitting for me this summer, considering I eat corn on the cob every single day. I’m pretty sure that I first heard about sweet corn ice cream after buying the Milk cookbook and I’ve just been HOOKED on the idea ever since. I knew it would make the perfect base.

And then… the chips. Ah. The chips. I’m not a huge chip eater unless the flavor is salt and vinegar or BBQ, and the chips MUST be kettle cooked. Yes, I am a total chip snob. I really only like to eat chips with sandwiches and that’s just because I like to put chips on my sandwiches. But when you cover chips, especially kettle cooked chips, in chocolate – I’m done. Game over. I don’t care about anything else in life other than those chocolate drenched fried potato slices. Can’t even.

So that’s the deal with this ice cream.

Yield: makes about 1 quart

Total Time: 10 hours

2 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3 ears sweet corn, cut from the cob
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt

3 to 4 cups ridged potato chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 tablespoon coconut oil
4 ounces salted caramel

Add cream, milk and sugar to a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves, then add in the corn and corn cobs. Gently stir (as much as you can) until the mixture comes to a simmer, then turn off the heat and set the pan aside. Let sit for 1 hour. After one hour, remove the cobs and add the mixture to a blender. Blend for 5 to 6 minutes until the corn is completely pureed, then strain it through a fine mesh sieve, discarding the solids. Whisk in the vanilla and the salt and place the liquid in the fridge for about 1 hour, until cold.

While the mixture is chilling, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave or over a double boiler. Once melted, stir in the coconut oil until it melts. Dip the potato chips in the chocolate and lay them on a sheet of parchment or wax paper to set.

Remove the ice cream mixture from the fridge and place it in an ice cream maker, churning according to the directions. I use the KitchenAid attachment and churn for about 20 minutes. Once finished churning, add the ice cream to a freezer safe container. Stir in the caramel swirls and fold in almost all of the potato chips, mixing them into the ice cream and crushing them if desired. Reserve a few for topping. Cover with a layer of plastic wrap and freeze for 6 to 8 hours.

Serve with a garnish of chocolate potato chips and extra caramel!

[corn recipe adapted from the NYTand this fluffernutter ice cream, idea from an ice cream I had on vaca]

It makes me want to say cray. But I would never say that…

80 Responses to “Sweet Corn Ice Cream with a Salted Caramel Swirl + Chocolate Covered Potato Chips.”

Jamie@Milk N Cookies — August 16, 2013 @ 7:10 am

This looks like a delicious and unexpected salty-sweet combo. This summer was the first time I had sweet corn ice cream and it’s surprisingly rich and creamy. I can only imagine how much better it would have been with caramel sauce.

Molly @ Bakelette — August 16, 2013 @ 7:15 am

Wow is all I can say! I like caramel, but it can only be in small doses! Also I am hoarding ice cream in my freezer, unfortunately not homemade, but still delicious! Just wondering, but any reason for using ridged potato chips verse kettle cooked? Thanks!

lou — August 16, 2013 @ 7:22 am

wow! i jumped here from Brian Samuels’s tweet i was far too curious ;)
    love the idea and love your blog
    have a lovely day :)

Tieghan — August 16, 2013 @ 7:24 am

This is cray in all the right ways! The sweet corn ice cream base, the caramel swirl, the CHOCOLATE COVERED POTATO CHIPS!!! I love each and every layer. And I mean I do not even really like potato chips, but covered in chocolate?? How on earth could I not like that sweet and salt combo?

Yeah, I cant!!

Oh and the sweet corn ice cream? I have been dying to try this and now that you made I know I have too. It freaked me out at first, but now I feel I have to make it before summer is over.

Actually, I have to make this exact ice cream before summer is over! Freaking love it!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — August 16, 2013 @ 7:52 am

Such a creative little twist on ice cream. I love every single thing about it and would never have guessed there is sweet corn in here! It looks amazing Jessica. Chocolate and potato chips together = the bomb. I like to stuff both in cookies!!

Melissa — August 16, 2013 @ 7:53 am

This looks so, so good! I’ve been hearing a lot about corn ice cream and it sounds so unique and tasty!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — August 16, 2013 @ 8:01 am

This flavour is insaaaaaaane!! in the best possible way. How do you come up with this stuff?! LOVE!

Belinda @themoonblushbaker — August 16, 2013 @ 8:16 am

Corn ice cream is actually very popular in Asian countries! But u=it is made with a base of coconut cream. What I great flavour! The first time I done the corn soaking technique was to make corn white ganache for macarons but now that i have seen this I want to do it again!

DessertForTwo — August 16, 2013 @ 8:19 am

You went there. And I love you for it. Plus, corn is a vegetable, so duh, healthy!

• plainjane — August 18th, 2013 @ 4:32 pm

actually, corn is a grain, not a veggie. But it’s still good!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — August 16, 2013 @ 8:20 am

I tasted my first chocolate covered potato chip as a sample at TJ’s a while back–and at first, I thought it was gonna be weird, but I totally get the appeal–salty, sweet, crunchy.

Love the corn ice cream twist! Have you ever had Kettle Baked potato chips–oh my god, best potato chips ever. So, so crunchy.

Caro — August 16, 2013 @ 8:39 am

OH MY GOSH I AM DYING!!! it is like you snuck into my mind and made the ice cream of my DREAMS that i didn’t even know about until i saw it right here! must. make. this weekend.

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — August 16, 2013 @ 8:47 am

What a different but appealing recipe, Jessica! I’ve never had anything like this – and I want some soon!!!

cindy — August 16, 2013 @ 8:48 am

you are a maniac. I love it.

Lauren @ The Highlands Life — August 16, 2013 @ 8:49 am

What the what? This is amazing!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — August 16, 2013 @ 8:51 am

Gimme!!!!! I’ve had sweet corn ice cream at the state fair and loved it, and I love all the extra goodies you added this…awesome!

Erika — August 16, 2013 @ 8:53 am

This is just.. I can’t even..Standing ovation girl.. standing ovation.

Marie @ Little Kitchie — August 16, 2013 @ 9:02 am

I want it ALL!

Ali @ Peaches and Football — August 16, 2013 @ 9:15 am

How fabulous! I’ve never heard of making ice cream out of sweet corn but given the sugar content in corn – that seems like it would work out great.

But I love the chocolate dipped chips. Yum! They look like they’d be a fun garnish for all kinds of desserts and a great combo for salty and sweet.

Christina Gathright — August 16, 2013 @ 9:17 am

What the what?! This sounds dreamy! Enough so that I can forgive you for not feeling the caramel love at the moment. This combo is pure genius! Now I’m going to have to run extra today so I can make this lol.

Ashley — August 16, 2013 @ 9:23 am

What is this nonsense about not loving caramel anymore??? haha This ice cream is ridiculous. Straight up crazy + awesome. Definitely need to get my hands on sweet corn ice cream…geez oh man.

Natasha @ The Cake Merchant — August 16, 2013 @ 9:24 am

This sounds just crazy enough to be amazing. You can’t beat the sweet and salty combo!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes — August 16, 2013 @ 9:25 am

I have an ice cream problem too. It´s winter here and I churn it like I was opening a store. Can’t wait for sweet corn to appear. In the meantime I would put the caramel on top of the chips too…

JulieD — August 16, 2013 @ 9:32 am

OMG I’m dying over this! I had a sweet corn ice cream in Austin and it was amazing!! I need to make this ASAP!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — August 16, 2013 @ 10:34 am

You’re awesome. That’s all

:) :)

Barbara | Creative Culinary — August 16, 2013 @ 10:39 am

I love all the parts and it’s it’s true that the sum is greater than the parts, this must be an amazing ice cream.

dana — August 16, 2013 @ 10:44 am

Is this even real life?? OH MY GAH I DIEEEE.

Ruthanne — August 16, 2013 @ 10:53 am

Speaking of your book, when will it come out? Sorry if you’ve answered this before! I can’t wait to pre-order it!

• Jessica — August 16th, 2013 @ 12:30 pm

THANK YOU! late fall 2014! i know… forever away.

Monica — August 16, 2013 @ 11:43 am

You go, girl! That is a work of art! : )

Averie @ Averie Cooks — August 16, 2013 @ 11:50 am

Omg everything about this, I want! I have made choc covered potato chips after Tj’s started selling them but discontinued them but I think they’re back again now – but it’s such a great combo of flavors.

And then the salted caramel in the ice cream, mmm, so good. I made some with salted caramel, bourbon, and crushed Nutter Butters earlier this summer. And yours with the potato chips takes the cake! I want this! Pinnnnnned!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance — August 16, 2013 @ 11:50 am

You are an evil genius! I never would have thought to put corn in an ice cream base and top with chocolate covered potato chips!

Gretchen @ A Fit Fashionista — August 16, 2013 @ 12:09 pm

Potato Chips? OMG!

Larry — August 16, 2013 @ 12:27 pm

D E A D

Christine @ Cooking with Cakes — August 16, 2013 @ 12:28 pm

dying over this because I’m obsessed with Ben & Jerry’s Late Nite Snack ice cream – chocolate covered potato chips are genius!!!!

betty — August 16, 2013 @ 12:43 pm

hmmmm.. do you really taste the corn. I may live under a rock , but this is the first time I’ve ever heard of this. also.. I was never really a fan of caramel growing up. i’d have it maybe.. once every two years? now.. i’m obsessed. I cant buy pints of HD sea salt caramel gelato anymore or I wont be able to fit in my house. maybe i’m just late to the sea salt caramel party..

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — August 16, 2013 @ 2:34 pm

I participated in #IceCreamWeek this week so I am a bit overrun with ice cream in my freezer right now, but I might need to make space for this one!

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner — August 16, 2013 @ 3:11 pm

Ridiculous. In a good way.

Taylor @ FoodFaithFitness — August 16, 2013 @ 3:38 pm

Oh. My. Gosh. I have never tried sweet corn ice-cream, but this makes me think I am severely missing out on life!

Alicia Greenrabbit — August 16, 2013 @ 4:59 pm

This is worth the lactose intolerance for me!

Laura — August 16, 2013 @ 5:03 pm

I have never had sweet corn ice cream! The whole combination of everything looks ridiculously good :)

Nicole @ — August 16, 2013 @ 5:32 pm

I am gonna have to try this magical flavor known as sweet corn. It’s popping up everywhere!

Abbie @ Needs Salt — August 16, 2013 @ 6:10 pm

Wow, this looks stunning. Sweet corn in ice cream? okay. my life is changed.

Shannon — August 16, 2013 @ 6:34 pm

I love you.

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — August 16, 2013 @ 7:18 pm

This totally made my week! Here’s to an ice cream filled weekend!

Calliope — August 16, 2013 @ 8:14 pm

Marry Me!

Sarah — August 16, 2013 @ 10:46 pm

I’m pretty sure this counts as health food, what with two different vegetables in it :P. Delicious, and dinner :).

tora — August 17, 2013 @ 10:11 am

Just wanted to say, this is the weirdest thing I have seen on here.

But I want it.

maddie — August 17, 2013 @ 10:41 am

ewww. . .guess i shouldn’t bash it b4 i try it :P

rmd — August 17, 2013 @ 10:45 am

Wow! This is basically like all the great flavors of chocolate covered caramel corn made into ice cream with all the great flavor and texture but no soggy popcorn and nothing to get stuck between your teeth. Pure. Genius.

Andrea — August 18, 2013 @ 5:40 pm

Ummmmm…..faints. Divine combo!

Emily @ Life on Food — August 18, 2013 @ 7:02 pm

I had sweet corn ice cream once at a farmer’s market in iowa. Very fitting. I love the final shot with the chip on top. So cool!

1. Pingback: Lemon Bars | Allspice and Nutmeg

2. Pingback: Sweet Corn Ice Cream with Salted Caramel and Chocolate Covered… | Oh So Yummy

3. Pingback: Crunchy Kettle Chip Chocolate Frosted Raised Donuts | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Sweet Corn Ice Cream | Ever zigged when you should have zagged?

5. Pingback: 27 Salted Caramel Desserts That Will Make Everything Better | Monthly Recipes

6. Pingback: 27 Salted Caramel Desserts That Will Make Everything Better : Grandmas Cooking

7. Pingback: 27 Salted Caramel Desserts That Will Make Everything Better | SaltyPepper

8. Pingback: 27 Salted Caramel Desserts That Will Make Everything Better

9. Pingback: 27 Salted Caramel Desserts That Will Make Everything Better | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

10. Pingback: 27 Salted Caramel Desserts That Will Make Everything Better | Just For Fun

11. Pingback: 27 Salted Caramel Desserts That Will Make Everything Better |

12. Pingback: Salted Caramel Desserts That Will Make Everything Better |

13. Pingback: より良いすべてを作る27の塩をされたキャラメル・デザート | 健康に良い食事・悪い食事とは・・専門家が説明します!

14. Pingback: より良いすべてを作る27の塩をされたキャラメル・デザート | ダイエットはこのメニューで決まり! 最新流行ダイエットフード

15. Pingback: 24 Foods Made With Surprise Potato Chips | Russia

16. Pingback: 27 Salted Caramel Desserts That Will Make Everything Better | Torture

17. Pingback: 24 Foods Made With Surprise Potato Chips | Sinister News Network

18. Pingback: Sweet Corn Ice Cream with a Salted Caramel Swirl + Chocolate Covered Potato Chips | Frozen Dessert Recipes

19. Pingback: Summer Skillet Gnocchi. | How Sweet It Is