We’re doing something embarrassingly easy today.

Homemade Chocolate Chip Coconut Butter I howsweeteats.com

Go buy some coconut.

Unsweetened, fat flakes.

Pour a ton of it into your food proceesor.

Or your blender, if you have one of those fancy pants appliances that costs more than the shoes I have a hard time justifying.

Blend it. For a really long time.

No – like a REALLY long time. Like close to 20 minutes.

Maybe a little less than that. I tend to exaggerate.

You might have to leave the room if you are, say, attempting to watch a Nashville rerun on your computer and willing Rayna and Deacon together for the love of God!!!

The processor is loud. But…

Puree it into a butter. Yes, a butter.

Homemade Chocolate Chip Coconut Butter I howsweeteats.com

I already love coconut so freaking much, but then simply using the word “butter” takes my infatuation up about forty notches. Flip.Ing.Out.

Once it’s smooth and pureed, pat yourself on the back! You have coconut butter. You have the stuff that I sometimes pay $17 a jar for at Whole Foods because I’m lazy as all get out.

Maybe you should start a coconut butter business. I’d probably be your best customer.

Homemade Chocolate Chip Coconut Butter I howsweeteats.com

Since I can’t pass this off as a real life recipe, we’re going to add chocolate chips. So I feel better about myself for showing you something so terribly basic. And because I’m your stereotypical chick that would donate a kidney in turn for some good chocolate.

Probably not kidding. Probably a disturbing thought.

It’s a good idea to wait until your coconut butter cools. Yes – it will be warm. Because you just whirled it around a metal blade for a quarter of an hour. Your food processor is probably smoking. You are probably freaking out. Don’t fear, there may just be some coconut butter stuck where the sun don’t shine. Like underneath the processor blade.

What were you thinking?

Homemade Chocolate Chip Coconut Butter I howsweeteats.com

Now that the coconut butter is at room temperature and you’ve successfully downed five tablespoons or so, you can stir in your cute little chocolate chips and they won’t melt. This is imperative to have excellent melty-like chocolate on toast tomorrow morning.

Yes, I’m planning your breakfasts. We are THAT close. Invisibly internet friendship is a thing.

We’re tasting the coconut butter! Like, a lot. A lot of tasting because pure coconut butter mixed with chocolate is like angel baby food. It’s dreamy.

If you’re not familiar with coconut butter, a semi-weird thing about this concoction is that it’s sort of solid at room temperature. I mean, it’s actually solid. Unless you live in a very hot climate with no AC and if that’s the case… I’m sorry. Heat is not my friend.

Homemade Chocolate Chip Coconut Butter I howsweeteats.com

A secret? You can put OTHER things in your coconut butter. I know. Earth shattering revelations here on this blog today.  Keeping it simple, you can add a pinch of salt, some vanilla extract, a little sweetener if desired or even some spices or nuts. You could melt some chocolate or stir in chocolate while the butter is still warm. You can add some peanut butter or white chocolate morsels and all sorts of things like that. You can do so many activities with this coconut butter!

Sorry. I’ve watched Stepbrothers one too many times this week.

The real question: how should we eat our coconut butter today? More often than not, I can be found spreading coconut butter on things like toast, English muffins, waffles, biscuits or pancakes. I like to melt it and pour it over top of ice cream, where it becomes sort of shell-like. It’s awesome during fall because it’s heavenly over top of warm, spiced squash or even sweet potatoes. I even like to eat mine with chicken, fish or really weird stuff like Brussels sprouts.

Anyway, grab a spoon. Dig in. YES.

Homemade Chocolate Chip Coconut Butter I howsweeteats.com

Chocolate Chip Coconut Butter

Yield: makes a little less than 1 cup

Total Time: 25 minutes

1 1/2 cups unsweetened, flaked coconut
a pinch of salt
3 tablespoons mini chocolate chips

Add the coconut to a food processor and blend continuously until it becomes pureed. This will take about 12 to 15 minutes (maybe even longer, depending on your appliance.) Occasionally scrape down the sides when needed and give your processor a break if it seems to get too hot. It WILL get hot!

To make the chocolate chip butter, allow the coconut butter to cool down to room temperature after blending - it will be warm. Stir in the chocolate chips. Store coconut butter in the fridge.

Homemade Chocolate Chip Coconut Butter I howsweeteats.com

That was fun. Let’s do it again some time.

89 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Coconut Butter.”

Rochelle @ Oh So Sweet Baker — October 24, 2013 @ 6:51 am

I HAVE to make this. Man that looks good. I just want to slather that on everything and anything

Kim — October 24, 2013 @ 6:56 am

You could do a cookie-coconut butter hybrid. OMG

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs — October 24, 2013 @ 7:04 am

Yum. So simple, so good. :)

Angela @ Health's Angel — October 24, 2013 @ 7:09 am

I declared October my coconut butter obsession month. I recently discovered it and ohhhh my. As a fellow coconut freak, I don’t know what took me so long. The temps around these parts have made it hard as a rock, though. I chipped away at it this morning and had some over oat bran! So good. I’ll have to make my own sometime.

Marty — October 24, 2013 @ 7:14 am

Yum! Where does one find these giant unsweetened coconut flakes?

• Jessica — October 24th, 2013 @ 7:16 am

i use bob’s red mill brand, so anywhere you can find that brand, they should have them! i can get them at my local grocery store.

• Nicole — October 26th, 2013 @ 7:20 pm

Amazon sells 48 oz. of Bob’s Red Mill organic, unsulfured flaked coconut for $10.20! So you can make boatloads of coconut butter, and even share… Or not.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — October 24, 2013 @ 7:33 am

This is soooo gonna happen here! I have seriously been loving easy recipes and coconut lately. This is a win win!

Beth — October 24, 2013 @ 7:46 am

Any idea how long this will last?? Any reason that I can’t just store it in the cupboard? Thanks

• Jessica — October 24th, 2013 @ 10:50 am

it will definitely last at least a month or two! you can keep it in the cupboard – it will probably last a bit longer in the fridge though. it will be solid either way once it sets up!

Mia — October 24, 2013 @ 7:52 am

coconut butter… yummmmmmy. On toast, with a sprinkle of cinnamon… oh so goo. This was my breakfast this morning, heavenly! ;)

Ali @ Inspiralized — October 24, 2013 @ 8:02 am

I want that RIGHT now and all over everything… even, like, a sandwich. So good!

bridget {bake at 350} — October 24, 2013 @ 8:05 am

ooooo, ahhhhhh!

Sommer @ ASpicyPerspective — October 24, 2013 @ 8:15 am

I’m pretty sure I would eat this on EVERYTHING!! :)

Ali @ Peaches and Football — October 24, 2013 @ 8:25 am

Wow – this could be dangerous to have in the house! I bought a jar of coconut butter once and found myself scooping spoonfulls out of the jar at very random times. Add chocolate chips to that and it’s a recipe for calorie disaster – although coconut is so healthy for you!. :)

Fabulous idea!!! I bet it would go great on cinnamon rolls too. Oh the possibilities…

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — October 24, 2013 @ 8:25 am

Nothing wrong with easy and simple! I made a lazy version of coconut butter once–I got impatient at the 10 minute mark and it wasn’t as special as if I’d kept processing. I wonder how this would taste with cinnamon chips?!

I always loved your “this is how i do stuff” series and this post reminds me of that! :)

Flannery — October 24, 2013 @ 8:49 am

This post was both tantalizing and hysterical. So glad we have our invisibly internet friendship going. Thanks for sharing and making me chuckle.

Tieghan — October 24, 2013 @ 8:56 am

I could and pretty much do eat this on everything! I have only made it once myself, but the idea of adding chocolate chips is genius! :)

Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate — October 24, 2013 @ 9:02 am

Making coconut butter is officially on my to-do list!

Shea @ Dixie Chik Cooks — October 24, 2013 @ 9:26 am

That’s genius! I can’t wait to try it out – might add some Biscoff :)

michele — October 24, 2013 @ 9:27 am

how long will this keep?? do you keep it in the fridge?

• Jessica — October 24th, 2013 @ 10:49 am

i’m pretty sure it will keep for a few months – it’s up to you if you want to keep it in the fridge. if so, i’m sure it will last even longer, but it’s going to be solid either way!

Emily — October 24, 2013 @ 9:30 am

First- have loved your blog for years. Second-I never post comments but have been spending way too much time on Amazon looking up different models (while watching Nashville reruns, natch) so…do you recommend your food processor, and if so, what brand is it?
    Thanks much, keep up the great work!

• Jessica — October 24th, 2013 @ 10:48 am

yes! i have a cuisinart, i think it’s the largest one. have had it for 6 years or so – love it to pieces.

Christine @ Cooking with Cakes — October 24, 2013 @ 9:33 am

non-recipe recipes are a must every now and then for a food blogger, so I can totally get on board!!

also, I have a huge bag of organic coconut flakes lying around my cabinets right now, so, ya know – mind reader!!!

Rosie — October 24, 2013 @ 9:33 am

Brilliant idea – think it would be even better if frozen after blending, on lollipop sticks! Yum!!

Chelsea — October 24, 2013 @ 9:49 am

OMG coconut butter is heavenly. I was making a jar a week over the summer, and it was just barely enough to feed my habit. Have you ever made toasted coconut butter? I rarelyr make raw coconut butter anymore because once I tasted the toasted version I coudn’t go back. Just toast the coconut first, and proceed as usual. it even makes it easier to blend into a butter because its all toasty and such.

• Jessica — October 24th, 2013 @ 10:47 am

i did make it once. AMAZING!

Melinda — October 24, 2013 @ 9:54 am

MY MIND IS SPINNING! I’m wondering if I can maybe use this as the oil/fat portion of my granola bars in lieu of regular butter for an extra layer of deliciousness? Hmmm.

Marlina — October 24, 2013 @ 10:09 am

Have you heard of Nikki’s coconut butter?! It’s AMAZING !! Pure coconut butter in tons of flavors…. Flavors like honey pecan pie, chocolate hazelnut, macadamia nut cookie, pumpkin spice, and freaking cake batter!! Not 17 bucks a jar either :)

Marisa — October 24, 2013 @ 10:28 am

What kind of food processor do you have? And do you love it? I need a new one. my last one was not very good.

• Jessica — October 24th, 2013 @ 10:46 am

cuisinart! i believe it’s the biggest one. i’ve had it for about 6 years and LOVE it.

Christy @ My Invisible Crown — October 24, 2013 @ 10:41 am

WOW!! I mean WOOOWWW! I am IN LOVE with this recipe. I’ve seen people talk about coconut butter and post things on Instagram but I’ve never had it. I’ve been meaning for a while to pick some up but always forget. I’m so happy I know how to make it! This is beyond cool! Thanks man!! I love it.

Kat — October 24, 2013 @ 10:52 am

Can you use unsweeteened shredded coconut or must you use the flakes? This looks delish

• Jessica — October 24th, 2013 @ 10:53 am

you can probably use shredded! i’ve actually never seen unsweetened shredded – what brand do you use??

• Kat — October 24th, 2013 @ 11:11 am

I just get it in bulk at Whole Foods.

Tracy | Peanut Butter And Onion — October 24, 2013 @ 11:07 am

Yummy easy spread… perfect!

Ruthy @ Omeletta — October 24, 2013 @ 11:10 am

You are my freaking hero today. And you’ve just saved me a million dollars in coconut butter jars. So, you’re my money-watching-crazy-person of a husband’s hero today, too. And it’s not even lunchtime yet!

Taylor @ FoodFaithFitness — October 24, 2013 @ 11:14 am

I have been meaning to try making coconut butter! And, with chocolate chips? I.just.died.

Katie @ Veggie and the Beast — October 24, 2013 @ 11:28 am

You just blew my mind. I had no idea this was even a thing. I’m putting a Vitamix on my Christmas list and then making this STAT.

Christine @ Gotta Eat Green — October 24, 2013 @ 11:32 am

I’m drooling!!! Holy yes. I must make this asap. How have I not thought of this before?

Natalie | Tastes Lovely — October 24, 2013 @ 11:33 am

Yum! That on top of chocolate ice cream please.

Hellyweg — October 24, 2013 @ 11:39 am

Do you think this would work with unsweetened desiccated coconut, which is basically the same thing, but with smaller flakes? I might have a harder time tracking down the big flakes.

Niki — October 24, 2013 @ 12:12 pm

This is insane – in a really, really good way! I have got to try this!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — October 24, 2013 @ 12:23 pm

It’s creamy, drippy, smooth, heaven in a little jar! And yes you DO have to blend it forever!! The only thing I’ve found that takes longer is sunflower seed butter. Sunflower seeds are even more resistant to being pulverized than coconut flakes but both are so worth it. And those little choc chips – oh so cute! Pinned!

Sophie — October 24, 2013 @ 12:54 pm

UGHHHH I WANT THIS IN MY FACE. STAT. I just have a standard little blender number though… Do you think I could use that???

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — October 24, 2013 @ 1:11 pm

I want this!!! I love making homemade butters. PINNING!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — October 24, 2013 @ 1:12 pm

Ok, if coconut and butter are getting you excited, what about brown coconut butter? I’m sure you’ve probably thought of this since you’re the queen of brown butter delicacies, and if there are recipes where you’ve already done this that i’ve somehow missed, please let me know!

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist — October 24, 2013 @ 1:45 pm

Haha! It is like angel baby food. I LOVE coconut.
    I love when I make nut butters and it starts to smoke and I freak out…then I tell myself that this happens every time and I need to just power through :)

biba — October 24, 2013 @ 1:50 pm

I just love reading your posts. Not only because of delicious recipes and gorgeous pictures, but the way you express yourself just makes me giggle and be happy :)

Ruby @ The Ruby Red Apron — October 24, 2013 @ 2:05 pm

I’m always looking out for those coconut flakes but no luck so far. I guess I could try the internet… Anyway, this looks amazing. i made some this summer with unsweetened shredded coconut. It didn’t look as good as this but it was delicious! And yeah it takes a LOOOONG time so much that I had to go outside since everybody was complaining about the noise. :P

Jenni — October 24, 2013 @ 2:10 pm

Mind. Blown. I had no idea I could make coconut butter this easily! I even have the fat flakes at home.

And just to toss out my Nashville opinion – I definitely want to see Raina and Deacon together but he has got WAY too many self-hating issues going on at the present moment so happy to see her having fun with the producer. Who I think is extremely hot. Just sayin :)

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living — October 24, 2013 @ 2:20 pm

I read this post & promptly went into the kitchen, tossed some chocolate chips into an almost-empty jar of Artisana coconut butter, microwaved the whole shebang for 20 seconds, and inhaled every last bit. <— cheaters version ;) SO good!

Elly — October 24, 2013 @ 2:54 pm

how weird that I was watching Nashville as I read this blog post :) this looks amazing, and I can’t wait to make it!

Christina — October 24, 2013 @ 4:36 pm

Haha, I love how extra funny and silly this is today. I bought some coconut oil once but this sounds a million times better and tastier. Maybe I’m using it all wrong! uh oh!

Giselle — October 24, 2013 @ 4:43 pm

I love this entry! Not because I love coconut (which I do), but because your post was so entertaining and cute! Loving your blog xoxo

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} — October 24, 2013 @ 4:59 pm

I love coconut butter, and I couldn’t believe how easy it was to make the first time I did it. Why had I been paying like $13/jar for it again?! Sounds delicious with chocolate chips. I like to eat mine on oatmeal with mango or pineapple chunks, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and another sprinkle of shredded coconut. Yum.

Ashley — October 24, 2013 @ 5:24 pm

I picked up some of those big flakes at the Middle Eastern Market recently and wasn’t sure what to do with them. This looks perfect!! Beautiful :)

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes — October 24, 2013 @ 6:19 pm

This is freaking awesome, and I’m going with the toasted idea someone mentioned… it’s a one way street I believe?!

1. Pingback: Small Batch Stovetop Apple Butter and Apple Butter Milkshakes | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Small Batch Stovetop Apple Butter (and, um, a milkshake.) | pinmeplease

3. Pingback: Weekend Wrap-Up: Desserts, Irrationality, & a Veggie Burger | Floptimism

4. Pingback: Saturday Sprinkles (10/26/13) | Pixie Dust Kitchen

5. Pingback: Oh So Sweet Baker

6. Pingback: Week 11: Pittsburgh | might as well

7. Pingback: Vanilla Coconut Butter | Better with Cake

8. Pingback: Gluten-Free Snacky Stocking Stuffers | Gabby's Gluten-Free

9. Pingback: DIY food gifts in jars + free printable labels - Handcrafted Parties

10. Pingback: D-I-Y Coconut Butter -

11. Pingback: Chocolate Coconut Walnut Butter & Blendtec Giveaway - Cupcakes & Kale Chips