tuesday things I howsweeteats.com

1. I know my obsession with fall has practically overtaken this blog, but I think this has been one of the best autumns of my life ever. The colors have seemed to last forever and stuff… is good.

2. Flipping my lid over this bbq bacon ranch chopped salad. It’s like everything I love in a CHOPPED salad! The only way I really enjoying eating salad. Salad salad salad.

3. You know how I always talk about my dumb mistake of chopping jalapeños and then rubbing my eyes? I’ve been doing pretty well… until last night. I had chopped jalapeños earlier in the day, obviously washing my hands multiple times but not using my lemon juice trick. Last night in yoga I’m all sweaty and RUBBED MY EYES. With my contacts in, still having to drive home… oh man. It was baaaaad.

4. YES. Hoped it was coming last week: Jimmy Kimmel has parents tell their kids that they ate their Halloween candy. I still don’t think anything is as funny as the first year.

5. Remember how I broke my crockpot? Really, my life has not been the same since. Major first world problem. Please link your favorite crockpot below. I have tried two brand new ones and guess what? Both were defective and had to be returned. They just don’t make things like they used to. Oh hey, I’m 75 years old too.

6. Only two more days until the annual Sephora sale and um, can you tell I’m just a wee bit excited about this? Do you really want to see a Sephora sale wish list?

7. Walking Dead! I am so annoyed with Rick right now. Seriously, that show gives me anxiety. And Homeland? Could my heart break for Saul anymore? I don’t think so.

8. Freaking love this: 24 quotes to inspire you to write more.

9. I may not be ready for Christmas music yet, but am pretty darn thrilled that the pier 1 commercial is back where the little penguin says “my foot’s smooshed in a cupcake.” Dying of cuteness.

75 Responses to “Tuesday Things.”

Sara — November 5, 2013 @ 3:52 pm

Yes I do what to see a Sephora wish list, thankyouverymuch.

• Bethany — November 5th, 2013 @ 4:04 pm

Me too!!

• Erin — November 5th, 2013 @ 4:08 pm

Ditto, my sale wish list is sitting on my desk right meow…

• Jessica — November 5th, 2013 @ 5:45 pm

Must see the wish list! I am stressing over the sale myself…must get everything!

• Kelly — November 5th, 2013 @ 6:13 pm

wish list wish list wish list!

• Sarah K — November 5th, 2013 @ 11:20 pm

yes! I’m a supporter of the wish list!

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots — November 5, 2013 @ 3:57 pm

the best thing about this years Jimmy Kimmel video is the last girl! I was dying!

Kristina — November 5, 2013 @ 3:58 pm

YES I WANT TO SEE A SEPHORA WISH LIST. VIB, baby, and I’ve been waiting too (you are the only other person I know… can I say I know you? that loves Sephora as much as me).

best fall of my life, too. :)

Kristen — November 5, 2013 @ 4:01 pm

I may have officially turned on the Christmas music pandora station yesterday. Do you hate me?

• Jessica — November 6th, 2013 @ 8:50 am

noooo i’m not that far behind you!

• Elizabeth — November 6th, 2013 @ 10:22 am

Me too!!! I couldn’t resist ha

Alexandra — November 5, 2013 @ 4:01 pm

I’d love to see a sephora wish list! Thank you for sharing about the sale. i desperately need a new hair dryer.

Natalie — November 5, 2013 @ 4:07 pm

The link to that fabulous sounding salad is not working!

What is this sephora sale? How do I get on that boat?

Also, those Pier 1 ads are FABULOUS. I just cannot get enough of the foot smooshed in a cupcake.

Rachael P. from Texas — November 5, 2013 @ 4:08 pm

Yay for the Sephora sale! My coupon is armed and ready… so is my wish list. I’m not sure how it’s gotten so long. Smashbox has a new eye palette out that i want, a First Aid Beauty Radiance skincare set, a Laura Mercier palette, and like fifty other things! A few of which, I actually need … like foundation powder.

What’s on your list? I always love your beauty posts, so I’d be interested to see what you’ve got your eye on?

P.S. Have you tried the new Formula X nail polish system? I seriously love it! I’ve had two manicures last more than 10 days without chipping. The only reason it didn’t last longer was because …. well 10 days is a long time to have the same nail polish on, and I just needed a change. Ha :) It’s great though, and colors are awesome!

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs — November 5, 2013 @ 4:17 pm

I’m with you on the Fall obsession — I can’t get enough of everything it entails! :)

Mandy — November 5, 2013 @ 4:24 pm

Hey, just a heads up that the link to the chopped salad is directing to an article on canning.
    Yes to the yes on a sephora list! I’m almost out of foundation and want to buy so much stuff!!

Melissa — November 5, 2013 @ 4:31 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with you about fall foliage! It is definitely breathtakingly beautiful this year.

Erin — November 5, 2013 @ 4:40 pm

Omg. I went on a Sephora spree following your last beauty faves post.. how did the approaching annual sale slip my mind? Sad face.

Dawn @ dawnbydawn,com — November 5, 2013 @ 4:47 pm

OMG, the first time I rubbed jalapeños into my eyes, I legit panicked, thought i was going blind. It’s so not fun.

On a lighter note, would love to see a wish list, so fun!

Julie — November 5, 2013 @ 4:48 pm

The one kid in the Kimmel video is so polite. “It’s okay.” “Do you want to go finish eating your cereal?” “Yes, please.”

• Jessica — November 6th, 2013 @ 8:50 am

haha I know!!

Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate — November 5, 2013 @ 5:32 pm

I agree, the Jimmy Kimmel Halloween thing has grown old.

Samantha — November 5, 2013 @ 5:52 pm

I’m new to Sephora shopping and after a major splurge this summer signed up for the VIB thingy. What’s this sale I keep hearing about. Do I need a coupon? Do they e-mail it to you?

Ali B. — November 5, 2013 @ 5:59 pm

I think that salad link is off? I tried searching on that site though and here’s what I came up with: http://www.foodiewithfamily.com/2013/11/04/barbecue-bacon-ranch-chopped-salad-make-ahead-mondays/ Is that right?

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — November 5, 2013 @ 6:19 pm

I’m annoyed with Rick too! What the heck is upppp with him lately.

Megan — November 5, 2013 @ 6:26 pm

This sounds obvious but could you contact the crockpot company to replace the lid?

• Jessica — November 6th, 2013 @ 8:52 am

yes! i did and am getting a replacement, but need a crockpot in the meantime ( we use it like 4 times per week) and figure it would help to have a second one on hand anyway.

Beverly — November 5, 2013 @ 6:32 pm
    Nicole — November 5, 2013 @ 6:49 pm

Omg! The jalapeño comment, I have done this more times then I can count. I have to ask, what is the lemon juice trick?

• Jessica — November 6th, 2013 @ 8:51 am

after chopping jalapeños i slice a lemon in half and rub every inch of my fingers and hands inside the lemon wedge. it takes it away completely!

veronicabbee — November 5, 2013 @ 6:52 pm

I couldn’t wait for the Sephora sale… this morning I went ahead and got some essentials, then redeemed for my 500 point gift, got the special free sample set, and my regular three freebies. I can’t wait to take a picture of everything that was “free”. I’ve already had several giggle fits over the Pier 1 commercial, it’s stinking adorable. And those writing quotes were just what I needed today. Your Tuesday things are the best!

Brittany — November 5, 2013 @ 7:05 pm

I love love love my Hamilton beach stay or go. This thing: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hamilton-beach-set-forget-stay-or-go-6-quart-slow-cooker-stainless-steel/8631064.p?id=1194051530726&skuId=8631064

Mine doesn’t have a temperature probe, but it’s still changed my life. I’ve made everything from chicken noodle soup to chicken cordon bleu in there. And you can even lock the lid on, wrap up the cord, and transport your meal.

You’re welcome.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — November 5, 2013 @ 7:07 pm

What are the odds that you’ve tried TWO other new crockpots and both are defective. There is just something going on with you and crockpots. Ok that’s just super weird!! I thought things like that only happened to me :)

And Xmas music …wow, hadn’t even thought about that. Haven’t heard any yet but I know it’s the season any day now!

HeatherBakes — November 5, 2013 @ 7:25 pm

YES! Wish list please! This is the first year I’ve qualified for VIB (proud moment) so I want to take full advantage…

Ashley — November 5, 2013 @ 7:54 pm

I’ve been more obsessed than ever before with fall this year.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — November 5, 2013 @ 7:58 pm

What a gorgeous photo – fall is so pretty!

Tracy — November 5, 2013 @ 8:32 pm

Yay for tuesday

jasi — November 5, 2013 @ 8:38 pm

i’ve had 3 slow cookers, by no fault of the cookers themselves, they have all perished horribly. this latest one is my favorite though because it was on sale for $14 when i snatched it up AND the lid is super tight so it works even better than the previous. i also have the insulated travel bag. in the last decade of my adult life i have literally never walked around town with my crock pot in it’s insulated messenger bag. “oh hey! have some chili stranger”. i’m not sure what i was thinking when i bought that.

Vicki @ WITK — November 5, 2013 @ 8:39 pm

I was so excited when I got the email about the sephora sale! Time to spend all my money!

Wendy @ All Kinds of Miles — November 5, 2013 @ 8:40 pm

Okay, so I’m 24 and in grad school, so the amount of crockpot cooking I do is pretty minimal. BUT I’ve had the All-Clad slow cooker since 2008ish and it still works awesome. I have no idea if it does anything fancy, but I love it nonetheless! http://www.amazon.com/All-Clad-Polished-Stainless-6-5-Quart-Electrics/dp/B0007SXBUQ

Cheri — November 5, 2013 @ 9:53 pm

I absolutely love this slow cooker. Yes, it’s a little pricey, but you can sauté or brown your meat right in there before setting it to slow cook. It also steams which is awesome.

Amara — November 5, 2013 @ 10:15 pm

i am definitely going to have to pick and choose from my wishlist.. but i’m also getting christmas gifts from sephora too! so… i can treat myself too, right? ;]

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist — November 5, 2013 @ 10:48 pm

Show me yours and I’ll show you mine! Sephora list, that is! I’ve been making mine for months and OH BOY I’m so excited!!!

Mediterranean Baby — November 5, 2013 @ 11:44 pm

I love my All Clad 6.5 Qt. Slow Cooker (http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/all-clad-65-qt-slow-cooker?ID=249089&CategoryID=7554&LinkType=#fn=BRAND%3DAll-Clad%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D4%26ruleId%3D70%26slotId%3D1). Wow!! Sorry that was such a long link!! Anywho…I love this slow cooker!!! Hope this helps your search :)

Tieghan — November 6, 2013 @ 12:08 am

We skipped over fall here in CO and it is such a bummer! I am so jealous of all your photos!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — November 6, 2013 @ 12:41 am

Ugh, I’ve had so many awful memories with jalapenos. I once had to deseed/vein about 30 of them (at one time) while working in the restaurant–I wore two layers of gloves and my hands were still burning at the end. Not to mention, while chopping them, I managed to get jalapeno juice in my eye at least three times.

meg — November 6, 2013 @ 12:48 am

I love the chopped salad recipe! The quotes are beautiful too.

Kate @ Trekking Kate — November 6, 2013 @ 1:04 am

Love fall trees like the one in the picture! To me it always looks like they are on fire!

Holli — November 6, 2013 @ 6:43 am

YesYesYes! PLEASE do a Sephora wish list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

danielle — November 6, 2013 @ 8:36 am

I don’t share your passion for Fall — in fact, I’m actually counting the days till Spring. (Yes, that bad.)

Slow cooker: I use mine at least twice a week. I’ve had it for about 10 years. I’d marry it if I could. It’s a Cuisinart; it’s precise and reliable. Cord retracts, which is great when you store it, and it’s big enough (6 1/2 qt) which was a must, but what I love the most about it is the removable ceramic serving pot. It’s actually very pretty, so you can put it on the table. And ceramic’s quite thick, so nothing sticks to it. Love, LOVE it.

Laina — November 6, 2013 @ 9:07 am

Jessica, Maybe this will help with your search for a new crock pot…
    Good Luck!

• Gail — November 6th, 2013 @ 5:28 pm

The first one on this list you can buy at Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon – ts only 79.99 not 129.99 and with the discount – its only like $63.99 – i bought this one after my expensive All Clad finally blew up – this one works really good plus save the receipt – BBB is so good is something breaks.

Michelle Walker — November 6, 2013 @ 9:53 am

All Clad slow cooker with removable insert perfect for braising, etc. A little pricey,
    but totally worth it!!

betty (the sweaty betty) — November 6, 2013 @ 10:22 am

YES. FALL! last year it felt like it went from 90 to 30 with no happy medium. This year the weather is PERFECT. LOVE IT. and ugh. walking dead. I have major anxiety too. as long as glen doesn’t die, i’ll be fine.

Elizabeth — November 6, 2013 @ 10:25 am

‘But mom, you don’t even have a gallbladder’ in response to eating all his candy on the Jimmy Kimmel video absolutely killed me.. hahaha thanks for sharing!

Christine — November 6, 2013 @ 10:26 am

The digital countdown slow cooker from Crock Pot. High and Low settings and when the time is up automatically switches to keep warm mode. And the ceramic pot separates from the heating element so you can put it in the dishwasher!

BJ — November 6, 2013 @ 11:09 am

Ugh! Farmer Rick. It’s not him that stresses me so much as Creepy Carl. Good grief already.

nes — November 6, 2013 @ 11:37 am

I get the defective product comment. The brand new toaster we got for the wedding only toasted one side of the bread. Ugh!

Corinne — November 6, 2013 @ 11:39 am

We recently purchased the Ninja 3-in-1 Cooking System for my Mom’s bday and she seems to be pretty happy with it. I’m secretly jealous – stovetop and slow cooker in one! It puts my dish-washing hate at bay. (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/ninja-3-in-1-cooking-system/1040520209?device=c&network=g&matchtype=&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_cookware_&gclid=CP6ytPDB0LoCFapDMgodbU8Acg)

We have a Hamilton which I’ve been pretty happy with – nothing fancy at all, but gets the job done. The All-Clad slow cooker makes me drool, but I’ve heard mixed reviews on it.

And YES to a Sephora list! I’m armed and ready, but lets be honest – a few more items couldn’t hurt, right??? I just need to make sure I get at least a few things that can be for Christmas. And speaking of Christmas – I turned my pandora station to my Christmas playlist yesterday and the world seemed like a better and brighter place :)

Lauren — November 6, 2013 @ 12:36 pm

The Pier 1 commercial always reminds me of the “Rug Rats”. I swear it’s the same voice!

Katie — November 6, 2013 @ 12:47 pm

YES to the sephora sale wish list so that I can get ideas to add to my purchase!!! you recommend the best stuff!!