Tuesday Things.

tuesday things I howsweeteats.com

1. It’s snowing! Like a lot. Perhaps the world is answering my request to snow from now until January 1st and then… stop.

2. In true last minute form, I’m pretty sure I must make this sweet potato cake with marshmallow frosting. You know me and marshmallows.

3. I have a new problem. A starbucks peppermint brownie cake pop problem. Okay, I don’t even really care for cake pops. But I want one of these every day. And okay again, I’ve only had one. But it’s a struggle. I want to go through the drive thru every single afternoon and buy one. Laziness at it’s finest.

4. On Friday, this happened.

5. Oh and it’s that time of year again where I wish someone would do elf on the shelf for me. I’m a child.

6. For the third year in a row I need to include a point about Ryan Gosling still not being named People’s sexiest man. Don’t get me wrong, I love Adam Levine, but… when, Ryan, when?

7. TV. Let’s go through my list. I very much enjoyed the Boardwalk finale EXCEPT FOR THE ENDING. If you know who my favorite character is on Boardwalk, then you know what I’m talking about. This took the cake with the finale from exactly two years. Just… no. Also, I need more Margaret. I’ve managed to watch the Walking Dead without having a heart attack but that’s only because I don’t care about the last two episodes. If they kill off someone I love, I will lose it. You know, since it’s real life and all. My thoughts on Homeland are getting better, I think because I let go of any realism surrounding the show. It’s completely ridiculous, but I’m enjoying it now. Saul is still my spirit animal. I was almost physically ill over what was happening to Brody. Now can we please have a new storyline, which maybe accidentally on purpose includes Quinn being on screen for the full 45 minutes? Also, I still love Nashville. Always. Total guilty pleasure.

8. Gah! Speaking of TV I keep forgetting to talk about Killing Kennedy. Did you guys end up watching it? My crushes on Rob Lowe and Ginnifer Goodwin increased tenfold.

9. In the spirit of serious thanksgiving thankfulness, I have to share these two things. The first can’t stop bringing me to tears, and the second… well that advice is spot on.

10. It’s that time of year again to start thinking about planners! This past year I’ve been using the erin condren planner but in my “research” I’ve found this and sort of love it. Thoughts? #omgschoolsupplies

11. In relation to #omgschoolsupplies, I was in Staples earlier this week when the song “Barbie Girl” came on. What? I’m so confused in life.

46 Responses to “Tuesday Things.”

Kelly — November 26, 2013 @ 4:15 pm

I actually heard the year Bradley Cooper was sexiest man Ryan Gosling had turned it down! He’s that humble!

Liz — November 26, 2013 @ 4:45 pm

Have you ever watched Scandal? I think you might like it based on your current TV loves. I saw Kerry Washington in a magazine and casually decided to watch the first episode. I then moved on to binge watching over the next two days until I was caught up. I just have so many feelings about it and, since we are imaginary internet friends and all, I could have someone who would understand why I yell ‘wait, WHAT?!’ at the TV like 3 times an episode.

Any who, the original comment I was going to leave is that I love the erin condren planner. I love how organized the pages are. I know myself well enough to realize that even though I aspire to be that organized, I would fail miserable two weeks in but you are not me so I say GO FOR IT!

• Liz — November 26th, 2013 @ 4:47 pm

I meant the Day Designer planner not the erin condren but both at so pretty I say its a win-win.

Kristen — November 26, 2013 @ 4:56 pm

OK Lots of comments…
    #1) I have BOTH the Erin Condren and the Whitney English planners! LOVE them both!!

#2) Ahem on the Sexiest Man Alive thing. Right choice, all the way ;) However did you see Adam’s thank you speech, thanking Ryan Gosling for turning it down, yet again? hehe

#3) I meant to comment on your bar cart post but apparently forgot to hit send, so doing it here and now. LOVE it. I really want a bar cart but am really afraid my kids will try to ride it around the house or something.

Happy thanksgiving, Jessica! I’m thankful to call you a friend!

• Jessica — November 26th, 2013 @ 5:20 pm

haha god i love you. and thank you! just stack the cart with enough heavy things that they can’t move it… that’s kinda what i’ve done. ;)

Kristen — November 26, 2013 @ 4:56 pm

PS – please keep the snow away from me. Thanks.

Gina — November 26, 2013 @ 4:58 pm

I was so sad at the finale of Boardwalk too! Like woke up in the middle of the night thinking about it sad. I’m also obsessed and distracted by the decor and lighting fixtures in every scene.

• Jessica — November 26th, 2013 @ 5:19 pm

I KNOW RIGHT.

Lucie — November 26, 2013 @ 4:59 pm

Snow! The photo is so beautiful… I love snow and I really want it in our street NOW :-)

And I finally googled Homeland (everyone is writing about it) and… Damian Lewis? Oh my… Love him from the ifrst time I saw him in The Forsyte Saga.

Elly — November 26, 2013 @ 5:03 pm

I feel you every one is pregnant but me so definitely not alone there. I need that planner in my life! So cute! Only thing is I’d stick to it for about a week and then I’d forget all about it and go back to my organized chaos. Ryan Gosling is pretty sexy but more into bad boys with tattoos so was pretty happy to find out Adam Levine is the sexiest man :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks — November 26, 2013 @ 5:07 pm

Brr that snow looks COLD! It’s like 60 here and I feel cold…LOL

And your twitter status situation….I wish you lived closer. You could babysit anytime. :)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Allie — November 26, 2013 @ 5:08 pm

This might be selfish, but in regards to #4 I prefer to read non-pregnant blogger posts since i am not in the baby loop and don’t relate to nurseries and other baby chitchat. I like the idea of the ‘Pass the Wine’ club..

And I was watching Crazy Stupid Love on TV the other night and when my husband came into the room he commented that Ryan Gosling is ridiculously good looking.

• Jessica — November 26th, 2013 @ 5:18 pm

no i get that, it’s nothing personal but it’s very hard for me to relate to those blogs as well just because i don’t relate either!

and my husband always thinks the same with crazy stupid love.

Ali Burtt — November 26, 2013 @ 5:11 pm

Snow. Ugh. We have rain but not snow. It had better stay that way is all I’m saying.

Also Ryan Gosling? No thanks. What is the deal with him? I don’t get it. Isn’t he just kind of generic looking?

• Jessica — November 26th, 2013 @ 5:17 pm

haha! i have long thought that he is so appealing because of his role in the notebook. you know?

• Ali Burtt — November 26th, 2013 @ 5:38 pm

Ha! To each her own. My current celebricrush is Benedict Cumberbatch so who am I to talk. Odd looking guy but sort of compellingly…intense.

Maureen — November 26, 2013 @ 5:20 pm

My husband I might have spent this past weekend in bed watching all of Season 2 & catching up on Season 3 of Homeland. WHERE HAVE I BEEN?!?! Amazing!

Simone — November 26, 2013 @ 5:22 pm

That video. I cried. Sweetest thing ever. I’m so glad there are boys willing to stand up for others and be moved to tears to show someone they care!

Rachel — November 26, 2013 @ 5:45 pm

Deb’s cake looks absolutely incredible, right? I might try and ease my family into it. We’re British, and I made a Sweet Potato Pie for the first time at the weekend, but to be honest I could not really see why it is such a thing either, and my family really did not like it, but I liked the taste of the batter before it was baked, and I adore marshmallows so..!

And that snow looks pretty. I love snow, as long as I can look at pictures of it on the internet/ ski on it, and I don’t actually have to deal with it happening in London. At my parents house in the country? Fine. But in London it is a nightmare!

Lauren — November 26, 2013 @ 5:53 pm

i watched Killing Kennedy and thought R Lowe and G Goodwin did an awesome job. I actually thought the entire “movie” was really good. I wasn’t alive when it happens and I knew the outcome, yet it still made me sad…..

nancy k — November 26, 2013 @ 6:04 pm

I cried too when I first saw the story abot the little football players. It happen in a town just south of Boston so it was on the local evening news not too long ago. It was so heatwarming . I was happy to see that it has received national attention. The parents of those boys have to feel very proud for sure. I am hoping someone contacts the Kraft family about the story. It would be great if the team could to go to Patriots game and/or practice and meet some of the players.

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs — November 26, 2013 @ 6:30 pm

Re: #10 — Oh man, I love that planner! I so want one now! :)

Jeanelle — November 26, 2013 @ 6:50 pm

your Tuesday lists make me happy. I love the IDEA of a pretty planner but know I would never use it. I just use my iPhone and while it’s not as pretty (although, the Coach case I have is fantastic) it does the trick and fits ever so nicely into my bag or pocket. I don’t watch any of the same shows you do but have you seen Blacklist? It’s really fantastic. I think I have four saved to watch over the holiday weekend and I’m excited.

Emily @ Life on Food — November 26, 2013 @ 8:05 pm

Yes, yes, yes to the sweet potato cake!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — November 26, 2013 @ 8:19 pm

I really really like that planner–but any planner that has the day broken up into hours gives me anxiety. I don’t know how to plan my day around hours! Can never stick to it.

Ryan Gosling totally deserves sexiest man alive too. Long overdue. I also want some of that snow. DC freaked out as usual about the impending “snowstorm” and its just been raining as usual.

Jennie — November 26, 2013 @ 8:43 pm

Love the Whitney English planner; love her blog even more. I’ve also thought about checking out Emily Ley’s planners.

Melissa — November 26, 2013 @ 9:01 pm

The sweet potato cake looks so wonderful, I pinned it immediately!

Kati — November 27, 2013 @ 12:09 am

Everyone IS pregnant. The end.

• meg — November 27th, 2013 @ 1:01 am

I agree with this. But I’m not pregnant and that is just fine. I also agree about Ryan Gosling…RECOGNIZE!!!

cheyenne — November 27, 2013 @ 3:22 am

81 years, amazing!
    xo, cheyenne

Sini @ my blue&white kitchen — November 27, 2013 @ 3:32 am

Oh I want that planner! I’ve been looking for a great one and this looks both practical and chic.

Kat — November 27, 2013 @ 8:11 am

Jessica – read Lainey Gossip’s comments about Ryan Gosling not being picked. It sounds more likely that he HAS been picked, but that’s he’s rejected the title. Also, just start reading Lainey Gossip cause it’s amazing and she knows everything!

Judy — November 27, 2013 @ 9:51 am

What is an ‘Elf Shelf’?
    I was most upset. I went to look at the shop/store with all the kitcheny stuff – coasters with Torah greats? They didn’t show who – and they had no pots and pans. Sigh.
    I’m not pregnant. Mind you I will be 70 next year and I’ve had no offers. Sigh.

Barbara | Creative Culinary — November 27, 2013 @ 9:53 am

The married couple was adorable; thanks for that uplifting moment.

In other news; please cancel your wish for snow until January. My daughter is moving to North Carolina (sob) and is leaving next week. She is driving across country with her two dogs and if I could have my wish; the skies would be clear and every other person would stay off the road between 12/5 and 12/7. I’ll be needing some of those cake pops I fear; thanks for that. :)

Lara — November 27, 2013 @ 10:20 am

So I read this blog every day before I head off to vet school. The other day I sent my mom an email telling her we should have your sage,bacon, cornbread stuffing for Thanksgiving and I guess she emailed you about it? Anyways she saw your little blurb about loving bacon and chocolate etc and she said, “Lara, reading that blog made me feel like I was reading something you wrote. You two might be the same person”. I had a good giggle because I’ve always been pretty sure we should be best friends. Just thought you’d appreciate that.

Nicole — November 27, 2013 @ 12:31 pm

Boardwalk Empire is killing me. I can’t live in a world with that ending.

Also Homeland. Ugh. I just want it to be a show completely about Saul because I love him and he’s the only one I care about.

Paige — November 27, 2013 @ 2:25 pm

I would like a Trapper Keeper for big girls – and I use that term loosely because I’m a big child. Also I’d like to see Norman Reedus as Sexiest Man Alive. YUM

Kelly V — November 27, 2013 @ 5:03 pm

Neon sharpie “WATCH SCANDAL” into your new planner because it will blow your mind every episode!!!!

Jill D — November 28, 2013 @ 12:05 am

Those little guys won my heart! I am the mother of a boy a couple years younger and they inspired me! I know just how harsh they can be to each other at that age, so for those boys to take a stand like they did is remarkable. It brought me to tears without a doubt.

Annnnnnd you MUST watch Scandal. I cannot say enough. My mind is blown every week!

Stephanie — November 28, 2013 @ 12:22 am

RE #4… RIGHT!? I had the same realization too, but from the opposite end… Because I’m the only pregnant one now and all my friends have sworn off having more kids bwahahaha!

Lindsay — November 28, 2013 @ 12:30 am

OMG. Did you see this article on Buzzfeed about Gosling?? I almost diedddd when I read it (not dramatic at all! Exclamation points!!!):

“10 Things Ryan Gosling Did In 2013 That Are 5 Billion Times More Interesting/Hotter Than Adam Levine’s Entire Life”

Molly @ Bakelette — November 29, 2013 @ 2:05 pm

SO MUCH TO SAY::
    YES ABOUT RYAN GOSLING, after seeing Crazy Stupid Love oh my goodness that man makes me swooooon to the moon!
    Now I really want to do elf on the shelf for someone…haha pinterest has so many good ideas…we should invent a virtual elf one!
    And weird about barbie girl… the other day that song popped into my head after about 20 minutes it left, I was really confused by it too!
    As for planners, I am super cliche BUT i am really digging my Lily Pulitzer one…it comes with STICKERS!! :)

Becky — November 29, 2013 @ 8:43 pm

Wow, I’m so glad I read this tonight. Whitney English and I were college roommates my Sophomore year. I lost touch with her and have always wondered about her. It warmed my heart to read her bio on Etsy, that she is married with 3 children and using her beautiful style and creativity in her own business. I still remember when I was having boy drama and she bought me a big bouquet of flowers to cheer me up! Thanks, Jessica!

Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker — November 29, 2013 @ 10:16 pm

Regarding the “everyone-is-pregnant-but-me on Facebook” thing… yeah, a few weeks ago, Joe and I sat and listed everyone we know that is currently pregnant… a seriously astonishing number. I feel like every single person we know has either recently birthed a child or is pregnant.

Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker — November 29, 2013 @ 10:19 pm

Wait! Also… Quinn! YES! Mmm…

And, Ginnifer Goodwin keeps playing wives of famous people… I love Walk the Line and still think of her as Johnny Cash’s first wife.

Gayle — December 3, 2013 @ 6:09 pm

I kind of love the Day Designer too!