I’m saving you today with Friday food.

Dark Chocolate Chunk Popovers with Spiked Vanilla Bourbon Whipped Cream I howsweeteats.com

Friday food is the best. Friday food is essentially calorie-less because, well… that’s what we tell ourselves. Things like pizza and cocktails and doughnuts are practically mandatory on this day because FRIDAY. That’s why. Because we say so.

Also, I’m putting chocolate things in bread that isn’t meant to have chocolate. People are probably going to get angry.

Did you guys ever celebrate St. Nicholas Day? On the morning of December 6th, we’d always find gold chocolate coins in our shoes. It’s slightly horrifying right now as I mention it considering I actually ate something that was inside of my shoe, but I’ll admit that my first December 6th away from home (probably in college?) was a bit sad since my shoes were totally empty. Two weeks ago I spied some gold chocolate coins at Trader Joes and threw them in my cart out of nostalgia. Eh… didn’t really have the same effect.

So today, instead of putting chocolate in my shoes, it’s going in bread. Sort of the same thing! Not really.

Yesterday my mom and I did a marathon Christmas shopping day – I’m talking like almost twelve hours out of the house. I probably walked three miles while shopping and got a great core workout from carrying my bags while trying not to break my neck, which is a good thing since I finished the night off with peppermint bark cheesecake.

The extent of my exhaustion is slightly crippling but I’m also about to make one of the best Christmas cookies I’ve ever made sooo… there’s that. Little things little things.

I even managed to successfully Christmas shop for others without Christmas shopping for myself. Usually it’s like… ugh, one for them… one for me. No. Not this time. I am rocking it. Since I’m on a roll, I’m going to finish off this whipped cream for breakfast.

I’ve made popovers twice before, but I finally broke down and bought a popover pan. It just makes popover life a little easier and um, totally huge. Like really huge. These popovers are massive – so much more massive than the ones that came out of my muffin tins.

Worth it? I’d say so. Also, P.S. – Target, my friends. Target. Got my popover pan there on the cheap. I’m just going to take up residence.

For my friends who aren’t really into super sweet treats, these are for you. I may not understand you but I love you all the same. These are not sweet – not even any sugar in the popovers – but the dark chocolate chunks are just enough. The whipped cream isn’t meant for sweet teeth either, but add more sugar if you’d like… easy as that. Some syrupy fruit would make an awesome addition.

Basically what I’m saying is that you should just eat these for breakfast or dinner or both.

Dark Chocolate Chunk Popovers with Spiked Whipped Cream

Yield: makes 6 large popovers

4 tablespoons brown butter
2 large eggs
1 cup milk, slightly warm in temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped and tossed in a bit of flour

spiked whipped cream
1 1/4 cups cold heavy cream
1 tablespoon bourbon
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Brush a popover pan (or a muffin pan) with 2 tablespoons of the brown butter.

Add the eggs to a blender and puree until combined. Add in the warmed milk, the vanilla, remaining butter, flour and salt, blending until the batter is combined.

Place the pan in the oven and heat it for 5 minutes. Remove it from the oven and pour the popover batter in the pan, filling the tins 3/4 of the way full. Add half of the chopped chocolate to the tins. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes and do NOT open the oven!
Once the popovers are finished, remove them from the oven and sprinkle with the remaining chocolate. Let cool slightly before serving with whipped cream.

spiked whipped cream
Add the heavy cream and bourbon to the bowl of your electric mixer. Beat on low speed, gradually increasing to high speed, until peaks form and the whipped cream is thick. Beat in the sugar and vanilla extract, then serve.

[slightly adapted from food network]

Gah! So fluffy!

59 Responses to “Dark Chocolate Chunk Popovers with Spiked Whipped Cream.”

Molly @ Yes to Yolks — December 6, 2013 @ 8:00 am

I love popovers! I’ve never thought to make a sweet version of them. Love this idea! Also, mall shopping totally counts as a workout :) that’s how I always justify my Auntie Anne’s pretzels!

• Nicole @ Mediterranean Baby — December 6th, 2013 @ 3:25 pm

I couldn’t agree more!! I’ve thought about how far I’ve shopped/walked before picking up a cinnamon sugar Auntie Anne’s, too :) LOL

Taylor @ FoodFaithFitness — December 6, 2013 @ 8:03 am

I have actually never even had a popover, let alone made them! How-ev-er, you said chocolate and spiked, so I’m in no matter what it is. These look fantastic, and I love anything that I can eat for breakfast….lunch…dinner…always.

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs — December 6, 2013 @ 8:11 am

Oh man, what I wouldn’t give to have a couple of these in my kitchen right now! Yum!

Belinda@themoonblushbaker — December 6, 2013 @ 8:12 am

pop overs are one of those American traditions that i simply love! They remind me of rum babas but so much easier and chocolate spike? yes please!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — December 6, 2013 @ 8:26 am

I just want to bury my face in that fluffy, awesome, spiked whipped cream! DELISH

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — December 6, 2013 @ 8:27 am

Good call – chocolate is far better off in this bread than in your shoes! :) And shopping workouts – they’re my favourite kind!

Tieghan — December 6, 2013 @ 8:48 am

my family loves popovers! I have never done a sweet version, but there look incredible! I cannot wait to try!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — December 6, 2013 @ 8:59 am

Need to start this whole–one for me, one for you–Christmas shopping rule. That sounds much better than my method, especially since I hate the mall. Or at least, hate it on any normal shopping day where there are more than 2 other people there.

Also, the fact that this post opened up my eyes to popovers as dessert is huge. HUGE!

Brie @ Entrée the Giant — December 6, 2013 @ 9:02 am

Your shopping spree sounds like the kind of total body workout that warrants a reward of peppermint bark cheesecake. Well done :)

Emily — December 6, 2013 @ 9:38 am

Erin | The Law Student's Wife — December 6, 2013 @ 10:07 am

I freaking love popovers. I’ve been holding out on getting a popover pan b/c our kitchen is teeny tiny and it seems silly to have a pan that can only make one thing..but if I have a chocolate version and a non-chocolate version, that’s TWO things right? And then if I throw a cheesy version in there…I like where this is going.

betty — December 6, 2013 @ 10:09 am

i’m usually hesitant baking things, especially bread things, but these look simple enough. I may have to make these this weekend.

ashley - baker by nature — December 6, 2013 @ 10:11 am

I am wordless! Except, ya know, I need these. NOW! Happy Friday, boo! xo

Erika — December 6, 2013 @ 10:16 am

Chocolate, Carbs and Spiked whipped cream.. Amen

Mackenzie {SusieFreakingHomemaker} — December 6, 2013 @ 10:25 am

You had me at spiked whipped cream! Oh yea baby!!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — December 6, 2013 @ 10:37 am

That whipped cream is seriously fabulous. YUM!

Sofie — December 6, 2013 @ 10:48 am

Hi Jessica,
    I tried out your one of your recipes, the granolabar with coconut, and mentioned you on my blog which you can check out here: Coconut granola bar. I hope you don’t mind. They tasted incredible!
    You make the lovliest photographs! And your recipes all look amazing! Have a nice weekend!

Sofie x

Simone — December 6, 2013 @ 11:08 am

I am terrible at Christmas shopping because I always end up looking for me. My husband pointed this out while shopping for my mom…as I tried on about 6 different shirts at the store…and bought 3 – for me. It’s so hard!

DessertForTwo — December 6, 2013 @ 11:09 am

FINE, I’ll buy a dang popover pan. I’ve been working on popovers for two out of a muffin tin, and they kinda slump to one side. I’m trying to tell myself it’s artsy? I need a pan.

And hey, good for you not shopping for yourself! It’s hard, I know. Especially with the good sales! But I’m sure Santa is going to fill your stocking with all Sephora, so just you wait :)

Gaby — December 6, 2013 @ 11:35 am

I’m an RA this year, and last night I was up until around 2:30 AM filling people’s shoes with candy. I insisted that we do the candy distribution that late, since it’s supposed to be a secret, you know? It’s not the same if you see St. Nick at work!

• Jessica — December 6th, 2013 @ 11:37 am

this makes me SO happy!

• Gaby — December 7th, 2013 @ 12:43 am

I love doing it! Especially for residents who haven’t celebrated it before. Yay Christmas!

Jordan Lynn: Life Between Lattes — December 6, 2013 @ 11:57 am

Wow, those look good. My family usually eats cinnamon rolls for Christmas breakfast, and I hate cinnamon rolls (I think this makes me crazy). But, THIS YEAR, maybe I can make these instead!! I’m excited. :)

cindy — December 6, 2013 @ 12:09 pm

I could never be mad at ya for putting chocolate into non-chocolate things.

allie@sweetpotatobites — December 6, 2013 @ 12:14 pm

I’ve never made a popover before and it has been ages since I had one! I just may have to take a trip to Target today.

Annie @ Annie's City Kitchen — December 6, 2013 @ 12:33 pm

I think you are the single most successful food blogger who can effectively capture steam in their pictures. Amazing!

Monica — December 6, 2013 @ 1:08 pm

I made popovers once and they turned out great. Not sure why I haven’t made some since but I think about it all the time! And I’ve vaguely thought about adding chocolate somehow because, well, I love chocolate. And you’ve done it!! And done it beautifully, at that. : ) Happy Holidays!

Erica Barry — December 6, 2013 @ 1:40 pm

Sounds like an awesome day! 12 hours of shopping and peppermint cheesecake?! YUM! Beautiful photos as always! Erica

Ashley @ Our Full Table — December 6, 2013 @ 1:46 pm

These look so delicious! I’ll take two please!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — December 6, 2013 @ 3:53 pm

Aaahhh popped overs with dark chocolate chunks AND whipped cream sound incredible! And SPIKED whipped cream? You are killing me, lady. I want one with a giant dollop of spiked whipped cream!

Christina Gathright — December 6, 2013 @ 3:55 pm

Loving this Friday food! I’m with ya on the whole calorie -less Fridays :)

Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate — December 6, 2013 @ 4:35 pm

This is Friday food at its best. Sweet popovers? Oh yeah!

Dana Ivy — December 6, 2013 @ 7:45 pm

Genius r

Rachel @the dessert chronicles — December 6, 2013 @ 8:49 pm

So funny, I posted popovers today too! Loving your dark chocolate version. They sound totally decadent and Friday worthy. The whipped cream is such an amazing idea. Popovers and whipped cream seem like a perfectly reasonable Friday night dinner if you ask me. Have a great weekend!

Laura — December 6, 2013 @ 9:07 pm

Right on, Jessica! I totally used to celebrate St. Nicholas Day. I’d like to bring that back, actually! Candy found in my shoes just has that “little something extra”.

Julie O — December 6, 2013 @ 9:13 pm

The popovers look awesome!!
    NOW as far as St. Nick….I love filling my children’s stockings with little gifts the morning of the 6th!! I know as a child I looked forward to a visit from St. Nick!!!

Annika Bielig Bussmann — December 6, 2013 @ 10:04 pm

I love this recipes. I am originally from Germany and we have popover traditionally filled with a vanilla whipped cream mixture. As a chocolate geek I will not resist this recipe…thanks for sharing this with us

Sara — December 7, 2013 @ 12:51 am

YUM. These look amazing. I have only ever had savory popovers, which I love – the sweet version sounds even better!!

Karen — December 7, 2013 @ 1:04 am

This looks amazing, but what do I do with the other 2 Tbsp of brown butter? Did I miss something?

• Jessica — December 7th, 2013 @ 8:56 am

i forgot to include it – it goes in with the rest of the batter. fixed it. :)

Julianne @ Beyond Frosting — December 7, 2013 @ 2:20 am

These look incredible- especially the spiked whipped cream!

sherrikw — December 7, 2013 @ 8:25 am

Hi, I enjoy your blog. Just wondering what to do with the other two tablespoons of brown butter. Your ingredients list has 4 tablespoons of brown butter. Your directions call for brushing the pans with 2 tablespoons of brown butter. I don’t want to miss a step! Thanks!

• Jessica — December 7th, 2013 @ 8:56 am

it goes into the batter – just fixed it! thanks for letting me know.

Jessica @FoodLuvBites — December 7, 2013 @ 10:24 am

Great, these just made me hungry :D looks amazing. Will try!

Jaan L — December 7, 2013 @ 10:29 am

These are so perfect for hubby and me. Both of us love sweets but need stay away from them. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH. A true lifesaver you are.

Liz @Life Made Sweet — December 7, 2013 @ 11:50 am

Ok I’ll cave and get a popover pan – these just look sooooo amazing I must try! I love indulging and then mall marathon shopping! Best workout ever!

mandy baker — December 7, 2013 @ 8:02 pm

Great recipe, jessica, and I could not agree with you more on the shopping issue! For your English readers – are popovers what we would call Yorkshire Puddings?

Avra-Sha Faohla — December 7, 2013 @ 8:43 pm

Ha ha, I also saw gold chocolate coins at Trader Joe’s a few weeks ago. ;)

Christina — December 8, 2013 @ 1:31 am

YUM! I am going to try this tomorrow. Grocery first thing in the am. Wish me luck!

Brittany — December 8, 2013 @ 10:25 am

A couple things:

1.) I’ve never had a popover but it sounds like something I need in my life immediately.
    2.) I know what you mean about getting a workout in while shopping. I went on an epic shopping spree yesterday. My bags were so heavy my hand was going numb. Sign of a good shopping haul I guess. ;)

Jess @ What The Efff — December 8, 2013 @ 7:01 pm

Oh my word. These were delicious. I’m excited to try different variations of them. I didn’t go so far as to make the whipped cream, but they were amazing without it, too. Next time I’ll have to take the extra effort and go the extra mile. Thanks for sharing!

Alexe @ Keys to the Cucina — December 9, 2013 @ 11:47 am

Wow these look amazing, need them now to get me through this Monday!

Chels R. — December 9, 2013 @ 12:13 pm

I almost bought a popover pan at World Market this weekend with my $10 birthday rewards. But I ended up buying a white cake platter instead. Kind of kicking myself at the moment. These look amazing!

Nancy Long — December 11, 2013 @ 9:14 am

Have been wanting a popover pan forever and now I really need to get one. The muffin pan works okay, but don’t get as much pop as I would like. Thanks for the great idea!

1. Pingback: dark chocolate chunk popovers. | hjem