tuesday things I howsweeteats.com

1. Yep, I live in one of the cold places that everyone is talking about and this is the inside of our front door. If you follow me on instagram then you already know… and probably have seen more screen captures of the current weather report to last you a lifetime.

2. Did I really just hear that someone stuck their tongue to a flagpole like the kid in a Christmas Story? Just… why?

3. Seriously. A wrong and irresponsible sandwich. She gets me.

4. Now that I’m knee deep in coffee love and the holiday season is over, I can tell you that I tried the Starbucks holiday blend coffee and it made me want to die. It tasted like lighter fluid. Whatever that tastes like.

5. So. You know how I’ve talked about loving my Frye boots in my last two favorites posts? Well. The bottoms of those darn shoes are… slippery. I’ve slipped and slid all over the place but had avoided a full-out fall… until Christmas Eve. On Christmas Eve, I slipped and fell in the grocery store and an elderly man went to jump out of my way and ended up stepping on me. I felt terrible – for him – because he was so upset. I was fine. Besides bruised pride and humilitation. Exactly one week later, on New Years Eve, in the same boots I slipped and fell down the basement stairs. Wow. Did I feel old. I was more scared that hurt. So what shall I do? I’ve tried scraping the boots on concrete and stuff. How can I scratch up the bottoms so I can stop sliding all over the place? P.S. you know this is happening because I laughed all about this.

6. Another fun thing that happened on New Year’s Eve was that I made some goat cheese stuffed bacon wrapped dates. My oven was broken at this point, but the broiler was working. So I stuck them under the broiler… then went and sat down. What? Why? Am I losing my mind? 15 minutes later we had blackened, charred dates for a snack. I’m thinking this qualifies as an addition to my 2013 recipe disasters.

7. Am I the only one in the universe who doesn’t watch Downton Abbey? I know we talked about this last year. Before you hate on me, I’m not watching the bachelor either. So does the absence of one trashy show cancel out my absence of class from not watching a good one?

8. But! We are still blowing through Sons of Anarchy on Netflix and omgomgomg… I am so hooked. Like so hooked that I have to stop myself from turning it on all day long since we watch episodes together. I find myself begging Eddie “just one more episode! who needs sleep?” and even though it’s stomach churningly (new word?) violent at times, I’m sucked in. I feel like you only get to really fall in love with one or two series each year (I’m so glad I’m writing this out publicly to share how much of a life I do not have) and this is one of them. Last year it was the West Wing. I still miss it.

9. Facebook is usually the bane of my existence (except when I need a good stalking session) but seeing this guy have a hilarious relationship with applebee’s via facebook is pretty funny. Is that even real?

10. I’m so making this for dinner. (probably with a vat of soup, while wearing two pairs of Uggs and my winter coat, scarf and hat indoors. and gloves.)

79 Responses to “Tuesday Things.”

Zee — January 7, 2014 @ 1:22 pm

For your boots. Use these sole grips. http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/accessories/shoe-care/comfort-fit/59957026-speedwell/0

• jessie — January 7th, 2014 @ 1:34 pm

Yes! Shoe grips! These save my life, even when it’s not wet out. My shoe guy sells them, too.

• Jennifer S — January 7th, 2014 @ 7:21 pm

I was going to say get some shoe grips too! They sell them on Amazon as well, and I think you can get them at most shoe stores and like Walmart-type places that sell shoe shine and things.

• Deanna — January 8th, 2014 @ 7:48 am

Yes! I have the ones from Aldo as well and they are wonderful– and safe. Lol.

Jen@topateplate — January 7, 2014 @ 1:27 pm

I don’t watch Downton Abbey either. I cannot handle being addicted to another show right now. I have more than I can handle right now. Although, I am going through Scandal withdrawal! 6 more weeks! Oh and also, I have Frye boot envy. And one more thing, I made these and I seriously love you for them. http://www.howsweeteats.com/2013/12/crispy-goat-cheese-risotto-cakes-with-vanilla-salted-winter-pears/

That is all. Happy Tuesday to you too!

allison — January 7, 2014 @ 1:27 pm

1. omg; so cold! I’m in full hibernation mode.
    5. take them into a cobbler (or whatever modern people call shoe repair shops these days) and have them re-sole them or add some rubber grips.
    7. That must make 2 of us – no Downton and no The Bachelor. But I am so deep in a hole of Netflix Scandal I’m not sure what the outdoors looks like (ahem, thank you deep freeze + snowstorms)

• Jen@topateplate — January 7th, 2014 @ 1:30 pm

SCANDAL!

• Jessica — January 7th, 2014 @ 1:32 pm

i am watching it too but haven’t gotten quick as sucked in as a i hoped!

• Suzannah — January 12th, 2014 @ 11:21 am

I have two pairs of Frye boots and I took them both to a shoe repair shop and had them resoled. Best decision ever.

Katriel — January 7, 2014 @ 1:33 pm

Definitely watching Downton. And I’ve watched the Bachelor/Bachelorette for years, but I think Des’ season finally cured me. Loved Des from Sean’s season, but each show was more painful than the next to watch. So I’m saying no to Juan Pablo.

• Katriel — January 7th, 2014 @ 1:35 pm

and by definitely, I mean not. not watching Downton.

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist — January 7, 2014 @ 1:42 pm

I don’t watch Downton or Bachelor either. I wanted to try to watch Downton, but once a show gets a few seasons under its belt, I get really anxious about starting to watch it from the beginning, knowing someone 5 seasons ahead of me is going to give it away…or that I’ll hate it and I’ve just spend weeks of my life on a dud. BUT…I did marathon my way through Homeland and it was CRAZY AMAZING!

Rachel — January 7, 2014 @ 1:44 pm

I really think Sons is the best show on TV (and I {sadly} watch a LOT of TV!) We are all caught up on Sons and I hate when that happens because I miss it. Especially looking at Jax. He is just not naked enough, in my opinion.

We’ve moved onto Justified (also an FX show). Timothy Olyphant will suffice until September when Sons returns…

• Jessica — January 7th, 2014 @ 2:07 pm

this is hilarious because we are halfway through season 2 and i think “wow, he sure is naked a lot.” not that i’m complaining.

• Miq — January 7th, 2014 @ 2:16 pm

You’re only half way through season two!?!?! You haven’t seen the real stomach churning stuff yet. Or enough naked Jax. It gets way better!

• SammaMichelle — January 8th, 2014 @ 12:07 am

Felt like I should watch Downton but now that I’m 4 seasons behind I’m too lazy to catch up. SOA ….omg omg omg!!! Jax is never naked enough!! :-) Such an awesome show and stomach churning is just beginning! We’ve also been Justified fans since the beginning. Another EXCELLENT show and we are watching the season premiere as I type this! This will hold me until my Game Of Thrones comes back on HBO and my Boardwalk Empire just went off too. Sadly my favorite shows include lots of stomach churning episodes. haha

Cate — January 7, 2014 @ 1:50 pm

I’ve never, ever, ever watched Downton Abbey (and for the longest time, I thought they’d misspelled Downton and it should have been Downtown. Ugh.). Anyway, I cannot wait for Girls to start so I can be just as embarrassed as you!

What about trying some heavy duty sand paper or steel wool to scuff up your boots?

• Jessica — January 7th, 2014 @ 2:06 pm

i also thought it was misspelled. drove me nuts.

Carolyn — January 7, 2014 @ 1:54 pm

It’s way too cold!!! Hope ya all are staying warm. Love, love Downton Abby. Another of my favorite is Justified… Have major crush on Marshal Raylan Givens. He’s hit!!!!

• Carolyn — January 7th, 2014 @ 1:55 pm

Hot…. Lol

Secord — January 7, 2014 @ 1:59 pm

My boyfriend and I started down the Sons of Anarchy road together….. sadly I had to leave him in my dust…. it started with a few “accidental” episodes here and there…. before I knew it, he was on Season 1 Episode 5 and I just finished Season 4! Couldn’t be helped….. soooo addicting.

Laurie E. — January 7, 2014 @ 2:02 pm

Never seen Downton Abbey or the Bachelor. Tried watching SOA, but only got through 2 episodes. People at work hate me because of the whole SOA thing. Just couldn’t get into it. I’m a documentary “junkie” on Netflix.

Regarding the cold, my state (think Cheese) hit negative 48 yesterday. I froze my butt off walking into work. It’s still laying on the sidewalk. I was too cold to pick it up.

Stay warm!

• Jessica — January 7th, 2014 @ 2:05 pm

i had a hard time getting into too – actually we tried to watch it 3 years ago and it was a no go. he started it over the holidays without me, and i wasn’t drawn in until the 5th or 6th episode. now i’m hooked!

ha – stay warm yourself!! brrr,

• Laurie E. — January 7th, 2014 @ 2:06 pm

Maybe I’ll try SOA again. I trust you.

• Laurie E. — January 7th, 2014 @ 2:05 pm

I’m desperately waiting for Nashville and The Walking Dead to come back. A few of my Showtime favorites start again this Sunday (Shameless and Episodes.) Yay!

Carly — January 7, 2014 @ 2:04 pm

They sell grippers for the bottoms of shoes at dsw and on amazon (link included)! I put them on a very slippery pair of heels and they worked like a charm! http://www.amazon.com/Non-Slip-Grip-Shoes-Boots-Sandals/dp/B0013QZ2B2

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl — January 7, 2014 @ 2:05 pm

Yum…. I’ll be making that salad soon, too! If it makes you feel any better, you’re not the only one not watching Downtown Abby. I keep thinking I might need to check out what all of the hype is.

Stella — January 7, 2014 @ 2:09 pm

As for the shoes, I’d take them to a good shoe repair shop. I have some amazing Betsy Johnson heels that were getting all torn up on the bottom, and they put some great rubber insulation to help me not slip or ruin them.

If you’re missing West Wing, may I suggest Sports Night or Studio 60 (both Aaron Sorkin.) They unfortunately didn’t run for very long each, but they’re so good!

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs — January 7, 2014 @ 2:09 pm

We watched the first episode of Downton Abbey a while back, but it just didn’t do it for us…oh well!

Bethany — January 7, 2014 @ 2:26 pm

True Story: I went to high school with the actress that plays Lyla

• Jessica — January 8th, 2014 @ 11:16 am

that’s awesome. my husband wants details. ha.

Julie — January 7, 2014 @ 2:37 pm

That sandwich is incredible.

And I read those conversations of the man and his Applebee’s. Funny and cool that they responded back!

Liz — January 7, 2014 @ 2:40 pm

Waffle soles. Life savers.

deva — January 7, 2014 @ 2:46 pm

I don’t watch Downton Abbey either, I tried one or two episodes and just couldn’t get into it.

shelly (cookies and cups) — January 7, 2014 @ 3:19 pm

Seriously, SOA was my pre-holiday obsession. Out. Of. CONTROL! Also just you wait until the end of this last season. JUST YOU WAIT!

samantha — January 7, 2014 @ 3:22 pm

Here in Michigan it’s -25 degrees and some of the roads that have been plowed are now a sheet of ice. Even in this state, that’s colder than normal.

Ashley — January 7, 2014 @ 3:22 pm

OMG. That Lady and Pups blog = amazing. Definitely have never seen Downtown Abbey and I didn’t even know the Bachelor was still on, haha. We’re just finishing up the last season of Breaking Bad which may not have helped with my anxiety, haha.

Molly (Yes to Yolks) — January 7, 2014 @ 3:23 pm

I do watch Downton. Looooove it. No pressure! :) As for SOA, it’s one of my favorite shows on TV! PLEASE stick with it…the ending of the most recent season is the most crazy, “holy crap” thing to happen on the show yet. Good stuff. I am still thinking about it a month later….I have moments where I stop what I’m doing and say “I can’t believe that happened.” So good! I also need that sandwich in my life…and three more pairs of gloves. I’m cold too!

NancyC — January 7, 2014 @ 3:25 pm

Oh Downton Abbey, how we resisted. Started watching in Season 3, now we’re hooked. Started season 4, hopefully we’ll get the first two in :-)

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance — January 7, 2014 @ 3:34 pm

The Facebook relationship with applebees is hil-ar-ious!

Janice — January 7, 2014 @ 3:50 pm

For your shoe problem, I’d take it to a professional shoe guy and tell him to help you with it. When I moved from So Cal to Maryland for a few months, I took all my shoes to get done and it wasn’t expensive at all!

Kate @ Coffee with Kate — January 7, 2014 @ 4:17 pm

Freakin’ LOLing at Applebees story.

Nikki Lynn — January 7, 2014 @ 4:29 pm

SOA Is my ish… love love love it. I cant believe this next season ( 7) will be the last one.

Melissa — January 7, 2014 @ 4:47 pm

Because you like West Wing, I have to recommend the Newsroom (HBO). I just started watching it on HBO go, and I am embarrassingly addicted. Just, please try it.

Stacy @ Stacy Eats — January 7, 2014 @ 5:00 pm

Um, I’m totally obsessed with Sons of Anarchy also. And I beg my husband to keep watching more…because I might have a major crush on Jax…

Averie @ Averie Cooks — January 7, 2014 @ 5:00 pm

Omg your falls are scary! I have fallen running a couple times in the past few years and it’s a super scary feeling! It gave me more appreciation for toddlers when they’re learning to walk and falling all the time :)

I watch no TV unless it’s a Real Housewife or something food related. So I can relate to precisely zero of these shows. But I can tell you anything you want about Top Chef or any reality-ish cooking show!

Lady ID — January 7, 2014 @ 5:24 pm

Oh no!!! I know they sell grippy pads that you can attach to your soles. You should get those.

Re: Downton Abbey – I didn’t watch it for ages then saw the first season like two years ago. Over December I caught up to season 4. Fortunately I only know a handful of people who watch it so I manage to avoid spoilers

Katie — January 7, 2014 @ 5:40 pm

When I was in high school, a couple of friends and I stuck out tongues to metal fencposts. We got stuck. Had to wait until someone could bring us hot water. Whyyyyy?? No idea.

Rachel — January 7, 2014 @ 6:26 pm

I think it’s so funny that you mentioned your SOA issues…I just started watching a couple of weeks ago and am now halfway through season 2. My boyfriend and I go through multiple episodes, at least 2-3 on a weeknight. Every night I I’m like “just one more episode puhhleeeeze!” but while I’m on school break and can afford to lose a few hours of sleep, he has to get up at 5:30am. Today I had the exact same problem of wanting to watch without him, but then realized if I start justifying it now there’s no stopping me from doing so for the rest of the show. Also – I was NOT in to Scandal when I first started watching but got hooked by the end of Season 1. If you haven’t made it there yet I suggest you keep watching! Otherwise, it’s a pretty ridiculous show and I could get not being in to it.

Jennifer S — January 7, 2014 @ 7:23 pm

I love Downton Abbey, but I always end up behind a season or two because I never watch things when they are actually on TV and it’s hard to find online. It’s definitely a show worth watching, though! Watch two episodes and I guarantee that you will be hooked! I recently went back and started watching Gossip Girl, which I had only watched the first season of previously, so that’s my Netflix binge of the moment!

Kammie @ Sensual Appeal — January 7, 2014 @ 7:30 pm

That photo is SO beautiful <3 Winter may be freezing cold.. but also so gorgeous.

Olive Oil — January 7, 2014 @ 8:22 pm

I have been reading your blog for a year and a half now, and let me tell you, I have read my share of laugh out loud moments. And delicious recipes! I just had to tell you that, in response to the Christmas Story comment, my younger brother actually did that about fifteen years ago. In his defense, he was about seven years old. But still. It does happen.

Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker — January 7, 2014 @ 9:37 pm

I don’t watch Downton Abbey; tried to watch early last year and it just did not appeal to me at all. I didn’t get the hype. You’re not alone!

• Nancy — January 7th, 2014 @ 9:52 pm

Same here! I tried to watch it! trust me…I tried…

• Jessica — January 8th, 2014 @ 11:15 am

i tried too, guys. zero interest. i prefer my light and fluffy trash tv!

Barbara — January 7, 2014 @ 11:32 pm

And I thought I was the only one not watching Downto(w)n Abbey LOL! No Bachelor for me either – that show is such farce. I LOVE SONS and watch it with my son. I love Timothy Olyphant and can’t believe I haven’t watched Justified yet. He needs to go on Sons along with all the other Deadwood cast and life will be complete!
    Thank you all that share my likes. Glad to know there are others who think like I do!!!!!
    Finally, BRRRRRR in the Chicago suburbs. I think the Postal service has forgotten their motto – they did not deliver today!

Becky @ A Calculated Whisk — January 8, 2014 @ 12:00 am

I just CRIED so much from laughing while reading that Applebee’s thing. I don’t even know why I think it’s SO hilarious…can’t handle it.

Haley @ The Blue Dishes — January 8, 2014 @ 12:11 am

THANK YOU. I also thought that the Starbucks Holiday blend was disgusting – I thought that holiday flavored/scented/themed things were supposed to be MORE lovely than usual, not less!

• Jessica — January 8th, 2014 @ 11:15 am

seriously, i have no idea WHAT is in that. it tasted nothing like holidays.

Carrie M. — January 8, 2014 @ 1:44 am

Y’all make me laugh, (oops from Oregon) no Downtown or Bachelor!

Kate @ booksaremyfavouriteandbest — January 8, 2014 @ 7:53 am

Downton Abbey – just watch it. It’s good. And then check out the blog Downton Abbey Cooks http://downtonabbeycooks.com/

Meg Jones | The Spatularettes — January 8, 2014 @ 8:13 am

But its Juan Pablo. You can’t NOT watch.

If I’m being honest though, my girlfriends and I mostly watch so we have an excuse to eat junk food and drink wine and trash talk on a Monday night.

• Jessica — January 8th, 2014 @ 11:13 am

as monday night should be.

veronicabbee — January 8, 2014 @ 8:40 am

Yesterday one of my regulars came in to work and said that his book-smart/street-stupid kid had gotten his tongue stuck to a pole. I sincerely hope this is the same person you heard about, otherwise that means there’s more than one of them. Also, did you hear about all the people burning themselves trying to throw hot water in the air and watch it turn to snow? It’s sadly pathetic and amusing. http://www.buzzfeed.com/adriancarrasquillo/a-whole-bunch-of-people-threw-boiling-water-in-the-air-to-wa
    Prepare to feel instantly smarter for not having done this to yourself.

• Jessica — January 8th, 2014 @ 11:12 am

YES! i almost linked that article… i mean, so funny.

Caitlyn — January 8, 2014 @ 9:07 am

So, it may sound a little…odd…but, put a strip of duct tape on the bottom of your shoes at the ball of your foot. The duct tape is slip proof so, it keeps them from sliding! It’s definitely not a pretty fix but, if anyone’s focused on what’s on the bottom of your shoe..well, they’re just weird.

Adrienne K — January 8, 2014 @ 9:20 am

Thank you thank you thank you for your recipe disasters. And thank you again. They make me feel human. P.s. Take your boots to a shoemaker and have him put on rubber soles. And don’t wear them in the ice and snow (sorry).

Gaby — January 8, 2014 @ 10:03 am

If you don’t want to invest in grippers or going to the shoe repair shop for new soles, you can also probably just rough up the soles with coarse sandpaper. That’s what we did with new dance shoes in musical theater in high school.

brinkley brown — January 8, 2014 @ 10:11 am

Sand Paper….that should rough up the bottom of those boots!

Prudy | Butter, Basil, and Breadcrumbs — January 8, 2014 @ 10:47 am

How does that song go? “If loving you is wrong, I dont want to be right”?? That’s how I would feel about that sandwich. Holy smokes, man.. beautious..

I don’t watch Downtown Abbey either, but I’m thinking it’s just a matter of time before I start. :-)

Beth @ bethcakes — January 8, 2014 @ 11:10 am

The worst thing about that girl who stuck her tongue to the flagpole is that she “claims” she’s never seen A Christmas Story. The idea of sticking my tongue to a flagpole would never enter my mind if I hadn’t seen that movie. I mean, I would just never think of doing that, haha.

• Jessica — January 8th, 2014 @ 11:11 am

haha you are SO right, i thought the same thing!