This is why facebook is the devil.

Banana Bread, Brie and Chocolate Grilled Cheese I howsweeteats.com

I had banana bread.

I wanted chocolate.

A day doesn’t go by where I don’t desire cheese.

Frankly, my banana bread was a bit stale. Which is a feat in itself because that means we didn’t eat an entire loaf in 34 seconds.

Why aren’t loaf pans made much larger? Like, instead of 9×5 inches, it should probably be 2×4 feet. THEN no one would have the problem of eating the entire loaf of banana bread the same day it’s made.

I know it isn’t just me.

Banana Bread, Brie and Chocolate Grilled Cheese I howsweeteats.com

Anyhoo. Even I thought that banana bread grilled cheese was a bit out there. I asked on facebook & twitter if I should do such a horrid thing. And you thought that I should.

I relish in the fact that you are weird too. We SO like all the same things.

I’m such a grilled cheese freak. Grill all the bread, all the cheese. I want it 24/7. I’m even teaching a class on it in two weeks!

Banana Bread, Brie and Chocolate Grilled Cheese I howsweeteats.com

Um, also, how cute are my metallic rose goldy mugs? My friend Laura sent me one of them and I, of course, had to buy one from Starbucks during the holiday season and they pretty much make my day. Pretty things.

Life is so much better when things are pretty.

Banana Bread, Brie and Chocolate Grilled Cheese I howsweeteats.com

If you love sweets and cheeses, you’ll die. Melty brie, dark chocolate. I used a banana bread recipe that you can find in my cookbook later this year, but I have lots of others here. Perhaps we should try the bacon one…

Since banana bread is soft yet dense, the entire slice doesn’t crisp up like regular crusty bread. You need a thick slice, after all, for this to work. You can make the sandwich like a regular old grilled cheese OR you can butter both sides, fry both sides, then stick the cheese and chocolate in the middle and keep it over low heat until the insides melt.

The insides melt. Now that sounds delicious. Hmmpf.

Except it so is.

Banana Bread, Brie and Chocolate Grilled Cheese I howsweeteats.com

Banana Bread, Brie and Chocolate Grilled Cheese

Yield: serves 2 appropriately, 1 obnoxiously

Total Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

4 slices banana bread (if it's slightly stale, even better!)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened for spreading
6 ounces brie cheese
4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped

Directions:

Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Butter the outsides of the banana bread, and place one slice butter-side down in the skillet. Immediately top the slice with some cheese, a bit of chocolate, and a little more cheese. I like to always have cheese on both sides to act like "glue" - it helps hold the sandwich together when flipping. Cook until both sides are golden and the cheese and chocolate is barely melted, about 4 minutes per side. If the cheese is melting slowly, I like to reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the skillet - just make sure to watch the sandwich because the sides cook more quickly.

Banana Bread, Brie and Chocolate Grilled Cheese I howsweeteats.com

Yep. I did that.

73 Responses to “Banana Bread, Brie and Chocolate Grilled Cheese.”

Tracy | Peanut Butter and Onions — March 7, 2014 @ 7:57 am

this is so wrong its right. I may have been one of those people on facebook, who voted yes to this. Glad to see its a reality!

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — March 7, 2014 @ 8:02 am

This is insane. But I LOVE it.
    I can’t understand it. But I still love it.
    Chocolate, cheese, banana bread. One of your best ever! Pinned

Trisha (Stew or a Story) — March 7, 2014 @ 8:20 am

Fridays necessitate these kinds of things. (It’s so wrong it’s right) YUM!

Emily G. — March 7, 2014 @ 8:28 am

This looks incredible!! I can’t wait for your cookbook to come out!

Lisa @ Simple Pairings — March 7, 2014 @ 8:30 am

I’m so glad I brought my gym bag to work today, because after seeing this picture, I have a feeling I know what’s going to happen this weekend! You had me at banana bread and chocolate, but adding brie, too? This is fantastic! :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — March 7, 2014 @ 8:40 am

If I were going to take any sort of grilled cheese master class, I can’t think of anyone better than you to be the master! And ps, you have the best blog props! :)

Jenn from Much to My Delight — March 7, 2014 @ 8:41 am

That sandwich is hard core, for sure. Also–don’t be a fool like me and put those rose gold mugs in the microwave. Just trust me on this. Be ye not so foolish. You really do know how to set up a beautiful food photograph, and it would be a shame to ruin one of those babies.

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — March 7, 2014 @ 8:49 am

Again, this is the week where I read things and go, “wait…thats me!” (ladybugs, etc.) Rose gold mugs and insane grilled cheeses are the perfect way to start Friday! I have no idea what this tastes like, but I have a feeling it is glorious.

Cara's Healthy Cravings — March 7, 2014 @ 8:57 am

This is intense!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — March 7, 2014 @ 9:11 am

This is my heaven sent sandwich!! OMG!!!! I LOVE THIS!!!

Banana bread. Chocolate. Brie. Melty, love on a platter. The images, with those stacks of sandwiches, are just sealing the deal for me! I actually just made grilled cheese for a post in like 3 weeks or so. Nothing like this though. But omg I wish it was! pinned!

Ali @ Inspiralized — March 7, 2014 @ 9:14 am

I can’t even handle this. I have been telling my boyfriend I want freshly baked banana bread and we MUST find it (going to a bakery in NYC this weekend just to get it!) Also, I’m a sucker for chocolate. PERFECT!

Teffy — March 7, 2014 @ 9:22 am

Oh ma gaaaawd. This is intense. and a good kind of intense.
    I’m all about new, weird, creative concoctions, so this is right up my street. You, my friend, are a genius.

{Teffy’s Perks} X

Natalie — March 7, 2014 @ 9:36 am

I just died and went to heaven didn’t I?

Susan — March 7, 2014 @ 9:46 am

I am amazed by the depth of your brilliance!

Tieghan — March 7, 2014 @ 9:51 am

Banana bread grilled sandwiches are the best! I made S’more version last year, but now I need a cheesy version! Looks awesome!

Steph@321delish — March 7, 2014 @ 9:52 am

WOW. How DO you come up with this stuff? BRILLIANT! I really really wish I was your neighbor so I could try all of the delicious things that come out of your kitchen. I love how adventurous you are in the kitchen!

Maria — March 7, 2014 @ 9:56 am

I am all about this sandwich! love!

cheyenne — March 7, 2014 @ 9:58 am

weirdly enough this looks and sounds like the best thing ever!
    xo, cheyenne

Simone — March 7, 2014 @ 10:03 am

The only bad thing about this recipe is that I want eat it,

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — March 7, 2014 @ 10:04 am

You are insane, and I love it!!!! This looks so good, its making me want to whip up a second-breakfast!

Erin | The Law Student's Wife — March 7, 2014 @ 10:21 am

My heart rate just quickened at the sight of these gooey cheesy chocolate banana mash up. Is it breakfast? Is it dinner? I better eat it for both to be certain.

ATasteOfMadness — March 7, 2014 @ 10:31 am

Oh my goodness yum. I would have never thought this up in a million years, but it sounds fantastic!

Jamie @ Dishing Out Health — March 7, 2014 @ 10:32 am

Sitting here eating a boring granola bar and then I saw THESE… My granola bar is now chucked across the room. All of my favorite things in one crazy sandwich. Yes yes and YES!

Emilie@TheCleverCarrot — March 7, 2014 @ 10:39 am

All I have to say is- you go girl! I will now be thinking about this deliciousness for the rest of the day! (thanks…) Gorgeous shots :)

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner — March 7, 2014 @ 11:00 am

You’re crazy. But it’s okay.

Molly (Yes to Yolks) — March 7, 2014 @ 11:30 am

This is insane. In the best way possible. I LOVE brie in sweeter grilled cheese combos, so this is so up my alley. Love it….and those mugs are so pretty!

danielle — March 7, 2014 @ 11:33 am

My daughter and I stuffed some brie and nutella into some buttery crescent rolls last week and they were amazing. This is a whole nother level of wacky creations – and I need to be part of it!

Mallory — March 7, 2014 @ 12:23 pm

i already read your blog everyday. and this is why.

Jamie — March 7, 2014 @ 12:26 pm

SO pumped for your class!!!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — March 7, 2014 @ 12:53 pm

Get out with this! I love how your brain works. I have brie and chocolate. Would it be weird to make banana bread just for the purpose of this sandwich? ;)

joelle (on a pink typewriter) — March 7, 2014 @ 1:05 pm

I don’t even know how to feel right now. Too many wild emotions just at reading that post title alone. Amazing.

Meredith — March 7, 2014 @ 1:07 pm

O. M. G.o.s.h. I just died. You’re my hero.

allie@sweetpotatobites — March 7, 2014 @ 1:16 pm

DROOLING. That is all.

Alexe @ Keys to the Cucina — March 7, 2014 @ 1:30 pm

This insane and the flavor combination is unreal. Excuse me while I go eat copious amounts of chocolate….

Alicia Greenrabbit — March 7, 2014 @ 1:49 pm

You know ,this reminds me of when I have PMS and want something sweet & i’ll make up & eat any combo, if it contains chocolate!
    I think I have some left over zucchini bread !

Adrienne | Appetites Anonymous — March 7, 2014 @ 2:07 pm

Such an odd yet amazing combination!! Can’t wait to try it!!

Alyssa — March 7, 2014 @ 2:58 pm

Ugghh and I just threw away half a loaf of banana bread that I found in the back of my freezer! I couldn’t remember when I made it (gross, I know) and I figured it wouldn’t be any good… but I sooo would have tried this!! Well now I just have to make more, I suppose.

Carrie @DietDeepDish — March 7, 2014 @ 3:09 pm

What??!! I literally re-read this title 3 times to make sure I got it right. Looks incredible!! Can’t wait to try!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — March 7, 2014 @ 3:54 pm

say what? girl, you keep killing me with recipes like this. unreal!!

Larry — March 7, 2014 @ 4:02 pm

Sweet baby Jesus. I want one of these like, yesterday. UGH UGH UGH

Esther — March 7, 2014 @ 5:00 pm

well geez. you just won the internet.

also, is that BLACK COFFEE in your beautiful mugs?!! what is happening?

Angelyn @ Everyday Desserts — March 7, 2014 @ 5:51 pm

No seriously, I have no words. This is perfect!

lynn chen — March 7, 2014 @ 8:05 pm

I don’t usually like Brie, but this makes so much sense to my soul.

Luv What You Do — March 7, 2014 @ 10:36 pm

I love banana bread too! It’s the best and I always make French Toast with my leftovers. I will have to add some chocolate next time!

Chrissy — March 7, 2014 @ 10:46 pm

Oh. My. God.
    I love you. I hate you.

In a Trendy Town — March 8, 2014 @ 4:00 am

The most delicious in this world is cheese and chocolate, together they are heaven!
    Can you help us to win our Dressale whislist? You only must enter and click the links here: http://inatrendytown.blogspot.com.es/2014/03/dressale-wishlist.html
    If we arrive to 200clicks, we can win the clothes, thanks!

Emily — March 8, 2014 @ 7:33 am

Your pictures are GORGEOUS! Love

Liz S. — March 8, 2014 @ 7:47 am

Have MERCY.

• Liz S. — March 8th, 2014 @ 7:48 am

And I mean that in the best way possible. Jessica, you ALWAYS have the best posts.

Lindsay — March 8, 2014 @ 7:50 am

Girl, please dont go putting the idea of a 2 foot loaf pan out into the universe. You know who is STILL going to eat the ENTIRE gigantic loaf?!? I need help…

Nicole — March 8, 2014 @ 11:00 am

Mouth is watering. Must find chocolate. And Cheese. And Banana Bread. Now.

1. Pingback: foodie finds - Live. Laugh. Cook.

2. Pingback: Sifted: Irish Coffee Cheesecake, Taco Pizzas + More - Funky Recipe - Meals - Holidays - Special Occasions

3. Pingback: Thursday Things | hipstercooker