I’m wondering how many little scone nuggets I can convince you to eat right now.

Provolone Scones with Cherry Tomato Butter I howsweeteats.com

They look like biscuits! I know I know.

But they aren’t. I just cut my scones into rounds because I can’t photograph triangular shaped things to save my life.

How was your weekend? Where did you go? What did you do? Who did you see? Guess what we did? Sort of spring cleaned. Which means that we mopped one floor, felt like we conquered the world, then ordered pizza and watched TV for three hours. SO ACCOMPLISHED.

Provolone Scones with Cherry Tomato Butter I howsweeteats.com

We, and by “we” I really just mean me, also found some leftover ghiraradelii milk chocolate chips hiding in a cupboard (that word makes me feel 86 years old) corner and ate a few (too many) handfuls at what might have been 11:30PM. And then I was up all night. Like from caffeine maybe? It made me crazy. I was tossing and turning and googling old episodes of Entourage on my phone and then that lead me into the Wikipedia vortex spiral and then before I knew it, it was 3AM and I had a whole new education under my belt and a full page of notes in my phone about things I need to do. Like learning how to not sleep with my phone, note number one.

It will never happen.

Because if it did, I wouldn’t remember that I thought of cherry tomato butter in my dreams.

Provolone Scones with Cherry Tomato Butter I howsweeteats.com

Every time I talk about scones I have to do my obligatory “did you know I used to hate scones?!” speech. Because I did. And no longer do.

At least when it comes to GOOD scones. Thank GOODness. !!

The butter is kind of a copout because it’s similar to what I shared last Monday… but I’m just really into weird compound butters at the moment. Here we have some sun- dried cherry tomatoes smashed into softened unsalted butter. UGH. So delicious. I want to spread it on all things forever and ever.

Then it’s like, hot cheesy scones – topped with cherry tomato butter that melts into every little crevice. All butter, all the time. Need I tell you more?

Provolone Scones with Cherry Tomato Butter I howsweeteats.com

3/4 cups cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
6 ounces provolone cheese, freshly grated
1 cup buttermilk

cherry tomato butter
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons sun dried cherry tomatoes, chopped

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

In large bowl combine the flour, sugar, salt, pepper, baking soda and powder. Using your fingers, a fork or a pastry blender, cut in butter until it forms coarse crumbs. Stir in the provolone. Stir in the buttermilk and mix with a spoon until a dough forms, using your hands to bring it together. Turn it on to a lightly floured surface and knead gently three or four times.

Divide the dough in half and pat into 7 inch round circles, cutting into 6-8 triangles each. You can also cut out round scones or form the dough into a rectangle and cut squares. Brush each scone with melted butter.

Bake for 12-14 minutes (wedges) or 9-11 minutes (rounds/squares). Serve the the cherry tomato butter.

cherry tomato butter
In a bowl, mix together the butter and tomatoes until combined. You can place it in the fridge (even form it into a ball or log) or keep it at room temperature until ready to use.

Provolone Scones with Cherry Tomato Butter I howsweeteats.com

Because the flavor. Whoa.

57 Responses to “Provolone Scones with Cherry Tomato Butter.”

Belinda@themoonblushbaker — March 10, 2014 @ 7:01 am

That butter is mouth watering! i am thinking of this with some basil and para hamn would complete my lunch time meal. I would not care if you had old chocolate to think of it, is is genius!

Rochelle @ Oh So Sweet Baker — March 10, 2014 @ 7:03 am

Mann these scones it that delicious cherry tomato butter. I die! The colour of that butter is amazing and would be totally great on steak or fish

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — March 10, 2014 @ 7:06 am

I love love love scones…..but I have never had savory scone! That clearly needs to change since there is cheese and butter involved.
    My weekend was supposed to involve cleaning. Buuuuttt..it involved a lot of cupcake consumption and a Breaking Bad Marathon. At the same time.

Cheri — March 10, 2014 @ 7:21 am

The melting butter! These are beautiful.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — March 10, 2014 @ 7:29 am

Ugh I feel the same way about photographing triangular things… and squares for that matter. I once bought a bunch of square plates and bowls thinking they’d be sooooo awesome for blog food, then realized that they look awkward and that I should just stick with round ones! These scones are so cute. To be honest, I haven’t been a huge fan in the past either but maybe you’ll change my mind!

• Jessica — March 10th, 2014 @ 9:00 pm

haha i have done the same with square plates. it’s the worst!

Anina @ Aninas-Recipes — March 10, 2014 @ 7:42 am

O my, they look absolutely moreish! Great post!

Greetings from South Africa!

Brie @ Entrée the Giant — March 10, 2014 @ 7:48 am

I did some serious spring cleaning too – and then mother nature reminded me that she owns us New Englanders this morning. #moresnow

Did you watch True Detective last night?! I know this isn’t the time/place to talk about this, but I have to know.

• Jessica — March 10th, 2014 @ 8:45 am

YES. omg.

Molly (Yes to Yolks) — March 10, 2014 @ 7:50 am

I love savory scones and compound butter of any kind. These look fantastic. I actually giggled out loud at your spring cleaning reference. I had a similar weekend. I emptied out one closet in the house, gave up halfway through, and rewarded myself with ice cream. There’s a giganto pile of crap sitting in our spare bedroom. I’ll pick up where I left off next weekend, haha. And then I’ll reward myself with these scones!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — March 10, 2014 @ 7:54 am

Uhh, I watched the DVR’ed episodes of the Voice from last week like three more times. But just the good people that I liked. So sad.

These scones are beautiful! That compound butter!!

Erika — March 10, 2014 @ 7:56 am

GUURRRLLL get outta here… Cherry tomato butter needs to become apart of my life.. along with these scones, that I really wanna just call a flaky biscuit.. :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks — March 10, 2014 @ 8:06 am

I want cherry tomato butter on everything! That sounds SO GOOD!

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles — March 10, 2014 @ 8:18 am

Oh how I love chocolate chips straight from the cupboard! lol….They keep me up all night as well.

Matt @ Runner Savvy — March 10, 2014 @ 8:23 am

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — March 10, 2014 @ 8:26 am

Whoa – these scones look seriously delicious lady!! Yum!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — March 10, 2014 @ 8:35 am

You always come up with the most genius savory things. This is another winner!! Thanks for sharing :D

Marie @ Little Kitchie — March 10, 2014 @ 8:43 am

These need to be happening RIGHT NOW.

Brenda — March 10, 2014 @ 8:59 am

OMG! Buttermilk scones! The tomato butter! You’re killing me Smalls! Can’t wait to make these for some friends. I definitely know I could not be trusted alone with them. There would be an all nighter party in my mouth!

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — March 10, 2014 @ 9:20 am

Oh my gosh — I’m with you on photographing triangles! These look crazy good. I love that butter!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — March 10, 2014 @ 9:26 am

Oh my word, these look amazing! Totally true about photographing triangles…I made scones Saturday morning, and the photos were challenging, to put it mildly.

Anne — March 10, 2014 @ 9:37 am

These look luscious! Great minds think alike…yesterday I made Tomato, Garlic and Parmesan scones, and Caramelized Onion, Brussels Sprouts with Gouda scones, and Scallion with Herbed Goat Cheese scones. CLEARLY a savory scone kind of weekend! (only way to fight the dreaded Daylight Savings!)

Christine @ Cooking with Cakes — March 10, 2014 @ 9:59 am

I gave up cheese for lent and this is making me feel ALL THE FEELINGS. pinning this for post-Easter :)

bev @ bevcooks — March 10, 2014 @ 10:05 am

Cherry tomato butter. THIRD BASE, baby.

poprocks — March 10, 2014 @ 10:10 am

Real question. What is the difference between a savory scone and a biscuit?

• Jessica — March 10th, 2014 @ 9:03 pm

probably not much! to me, scones are a bit more dense than biscuits and they also aren’t as flaky.

Rachel — March 10, 2014 @ 10:16 am

You’ve reminded me of the two sides of the coin of living in London and no longer being about to shop at Trader Joes. On the downside, I can no longer get big bags of my favourite bittersweet chocolate chips. On the up side, I am no longer guilty of getting up and grabbing a handful out of my mason jar full of them in every ad break!

Kara @ Drop of Kindness — March 10, 2014 @ 10:46 am

At first I though cherry and tomato butter, hmm, that’s an odd combination. And then the lightbulb went off. And then I though, ugh, Monday. (I want to eat the scones.)

joelle (on a pink typewriter) — March 10, 2014 @ 11:48 am

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm yum.

In a Trendy Town — March 10, 2014 @ 1:44 pm

Tomato butter, it sounds delicious!
    Can you help us to win our Dressale whislist? You only must enter and click the links here: http://inatrendytown.blogspot.com.es/2014/03/dressale-wishlist.html

raymi — March 10, 2014 @ 2:32 pm

Your writing/foodie combo style is phenomenal. Bookmarked!

Nicocobell — March 10, 2014 @ 3:38 pm

I love scones, but I’ve never made them myself! What if I like them so much and I eat the whole batch?!
    When I read that you said you cleaned one floor and then watched 3 hours of tv it literally made me LOL…which probably isn’t good because I’m at work :) I’m guilty of doing this too.
    This weekend I watched Catching Fire and also a million episodes of New Girl because I didn’t start watching it until last weekend and I didn’t know I’d like Zoey Deschannel so much. Probably because I do that sing songy thing she does all the time.

Nicole @ Start With Four Walls — March 10, 2014 @ 4:10 pm

Why do you do this to me? I know I won’t be able to eat a “reasonable” number of these if I make them. What to do…

Mariah and Coty@quirksandtwists — March 10, 2014 @ 5:39 pm

I love a good scone! And this cherry tomato butter looks beyond good!

Tracey — March 10, 2014 @ 10:07 pm

Interesting fact; scones are round EVERYWHERE else except the States. Like, a few times now I’d seen interesting triangular dessert photos and thought, “Oh that’s cute… wait, what?”

Google scones: round
    Good American scones: triangles

Jen — March 11, 2014 @ 1:26 am

I second Tracy’s comment! I’m just north of the border… and scones are generally really big and round

Norma | Allspice and Nutmeg — March 11, 2014 @ 6:31 am

Yum, 6 ozs. provolone! I know these are good.

katie @ ohshineon — March 11, 2014 @ 9:15 am

no eggs? cool.

Jennie @themessybakerblog — March 11, 2014 @ 9:59 am

That tomato butter looks amazing. Yeah, I’m usually up in the wee hours of the night watching Mad Men. Talk about an addiction. These scones look tasty. I’m all about round scones. They’re just easier.

Adrienne | Appetites Anonymous — March 11, 2014 @ 10:19 am

Cherry tomato butter…. WHATTTTTTT?! Am I dreaming?! Amazing. I love this recipe.

Paula — March 11, 2014 @ 11:25 am

I’m actually going to tell you what I did this past weekend because I got married and used one of your cookie recipes (brown butter double fudge chocolate chip cookies) to make “bicoastal cookies” as favors. I feel like I should have sent you an invitation now.

Tracy | Peanut Butter and Onions — March 11, 2014 @ 12:52 pm

I really like the idea of tomato butter.. Nice

Erika — March 11, 2014 @ 1:40 pm

Your version of spring cleaning is about how my room cleaning went yesterday…folded my clothes then re-watched several episodes of Heroes. #productive

I love you and your compound butters! I just made a miso-cilantro butter to spread on banh mi thanks to inspiration from you, David Chang and Mark Bittman. In my world, you’re in good company ;)

Danae @ thereciperunner — March 11, 2014 @ 2:45 pm

I always have such big plans for spring cleaning and then somehow after I get one thing done the rest seems to be forgotten about. I’m a big scone fan and love this provolone and cherry tomato butter combination, so unique and perfect together!

Kim in MD — March 11, 2014 @ 7:21 pm

These scones look amazing, Jessica! Funny….I was Spring cleaning this past weekend, too. Though it didn’t feel like Spring here!

Ruby @ The Ruby Red Apron — March 11, 2014 @ 9:57 pm

Amazing. Love that cherry tomato butter!

ATasteOfMadness — March 12, 2014 @ 12:15 am

I have been obsessed with scones and biscuits recently, that this is TOTALLY where I want to be. Scarfing down some of this. Yum!!

Helena @ Best Bread Machine Reviews — March 12, 2014 @ 1:44 am

Oh my gosh this looks to die for! And I love how there aren’t a million ingredients to make this. Yum!

Joshua Hampton — March 12, 2014 @ 3:06 am

That cherry tomato butter looks amazing. I must try these scones or I won’t be able to stop thinking about them.

dervla @ the curator — March 12, 2014 @ 11:39 am

you know where i was last weekend cause i saw you up in my instagram feed :)) San Francisco baby! Heaven, can’t wait to go back. Also, your notabiscuitbutreallyascone looks amazing.

Rachael@AnAvocadoADay — March 13, 2014 @ 12:30 pm

OMG I just ate grilled tofu and greens for lunch and now I am drooling over your buttery, cheesy creation. LOVE this!

Carol at Wild Goose Tea — March 13, 2014 @ 12:45 pm

Savory scones are under utilized and possibly under appreciated. They make a wonderful accompaniment to dinner instead of plain ol’ dinner rolls. Although let me clear, I love plain ol’ dinner rolls. Ha! Of course having a tea and food website I am perhaps prejudiced. But this is a good prejudice. The butter for this is fabulously creative. Awesome.

Larry — March 13, 2014 @ 6:20 pm

1. Pingback: Savory Romano Crusted French Toast with Cherry Tomato Basil Butter | How Sweet It Is