You guys! Life is currently boring but so busy but so good. I have little to share this week but figured I’d tell you some random things we did.

We dyed Easter eggs like the five year olds that we still are. Yes, I realize that one day I think I’m sixty five and the next I act like I’m seven, but I don’t really know how else to deal with it besides continuing to do my childish and elderly things.

Many of you asked on instagram how we get the eggs so bright. My mom’s trick is to leave the eggs in the dye a super long time. For.ev.er. Like the Sandlot. I’m talking at least 30 minutes, maybe even longer. Dyeing eggs in our family is like a six hour process. My mom says that even when were we younger and impatient and wouldn’t want to let the eggs sit in the dye, after we went to bed or got bored, she’d sit and redip the eggs until they were super bright and neon.

I did not inherit that patience.

But I did make lobster mac and cheese. I don’t know. Somewhere along the weird way it became something we do on good Friday, so I did it. I have a reeeeeally old recipe for this on my site (it’s quite horrifying actually, one of the first I ever posted) but don’t measure anything and have tweaked it along the way. The one had six cheeses: mascarpone, fontina, havarti, sharp white cheddar, parmigiano-reggiano and gruyere. Best combo ever.

Over the course of five days I ate one million and seven jelly beans. Approximately. FRUIT ONLY.

Random things:

Last week I did things like finish up another round of book edits and continuously doubt myself for 300 pages. IT WAS AWESOME. Just kidding. Sort of. Maybe.

My lack of reading lately is sickening! I did read Rob Lowe’s new book last week because, um, hello I adore Rob Lowe. I didn’t like it as much as the first one and felt like it jumped all over the place, but I liked it well enough. I want to read Robin Roberts’ new book because I really like her too, and then I may move on to a new one by Jane Green along with fifty thousand others on my list. I read like a third of a page and then fall asleep.

And last night we spontaneously watched Life of Pi and I can’t believe we sat and watched a one man show for that long. But it was so good. I’d like a pet tiger now. Along with the pet elephant I’ve wanted since watching Water for Elephants years ago.

So yeah. This past week was super snoozy & I have little to share aside from things that I already instagrammed. It was such a gorgeous weekend and I rarely whipped out my phone for some photos. I think that’s a good thing. Livin’ life! Next week I won’t make you fall asleep half way through a post. Swear.

32 Responses to “Real Life Wednesday: Boring Life Lately.”

Yael — April 23, 2014 @ 7:13 am

Is that cake picture from your book?!?!?! It’s incredible!

Also, that mac and cheese . . . looks amazing. I would put a picture like that on my wall. Except then I’d be hungr(ier) all the time.

Kristen — April 23, 2014 @ 7:32 am

If there are two recipes I go to anytime I need to impress, they are your lobster mac and Smitten Kitchen sweet potato gratin (except I use spinach instead of chard). That mac is just an all around awesome recipe. That cheese sauce should be poured over everything :-)

Ronya — April 23, 2014 @ 8:11 am

The new Jane Green is horrible! Unless you love to really, really hate characters and their entire beings, I’d go for something else.

Kelly @ The Pretty Bee: Cooking + Creating — April 23, 2014 @ 8:43 am

I keep avoiding watching Life of Pi because I loved the book so much, and am scared the movie will disappoint! Nice to hear that it was great!

Alicia Greenrabbit — April 23, 2014 @ 8:44 am

It’s okay to sit back and do nothing,it’s okay to relax and watch the world.
    The weather is changing,spring has finally sprung and we are getting out the winter bundling up nesting inside feeling. Take a deep breath ,sleep in, take cues from your gut and go with it. We are super women ,but we need to listen to our body and mind.
    As the Travelocity Gnome says “Go and Smell The Roses”

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — April 23, 2014 @ 9:02 am

I’m dying over that cake (it’s gorgeous!!!!!)….and your leopard flats!

Paula — April 23, 2014 @ 9:18 am

I feel like that’s the first we’ve seen of Bella in a long time!

Ursula — April 23, 2014 @ 9:30 am

Your Mom’s trick is obviously good though, the eggs look amazing!

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist — April 23, 2014 @ 10:07 am

Yay for cookbook edits!
    And we did that too with eggs. I remember when I taught my first boyfriend in college how to properly dye eggs (wasn’t one of his family traditions), I plopped them into the dye cups then walked away. He was like “um, that’s it”. Yes, you have to wait forever.

Oh good to know about Rob Lowe’s second book! I’ve picked it up and put it down like a thousand times in B&N! Like I tweeted to you, read “Why We Broke Up”. You’ll love it.

Alisha — April 23, 2014 @ 10:32 am

You do not talk about your dog nearly enough. :) Everyone loves puppy pictures and puppy stories!

Sarah R. — April 23, 2014 @ 10:59 am

Your dog looks so sweet!

samantha — April 23, 2014 @ 11:38 am

I seriously love your dog. She’s so cute and adorable and happy looking all the time. And I love your leopard flats. I’ve finally started wearing flats this spring and had come to learn how incredibly comfortable they are and can make almost any outfit look a little nicer.

Tracy | Peanut Butter and Onions — April 23, 2014 @ 12:16 pm

You are never boring, but I know what you mean, sometimes I have no clue what to type in a post. getting super excited to buy your cookbook. Love Bella, she is sooo cute.;)

Stephanie — April 23, 2014 @ 12:34 pm

i need to stop buying cookbooks. but i can’t. and i literally can’t wait for yours.

but then i need to stop reading blogs, so I cook from my books and not from all my “invisible internet friends”.

gah. this is so difficult.

Tamsin | A Certain Adventure — April 23, 2014 @ 12:36 pm

I love the sound of your Easter! Lobster mac’n’cheese and Life of Pi are the best combo! I’ve never dyed eggs before (clearly had a deprived childhood) but yours look so vibrant and beautiful. If I ever try my hand at it I’ll definitely use your mum’s technique :) x

tara — April 23, 2014 @ 12:51 pm

i still dye easter eggs ! my boyfirend sorta hates it and my cat loves it ! and i take their pictures the entire time. my BF wants to create what he calls pastel eggs which is dip for a second and be done so the whole process is over in 5 mins. i say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to that and we dip forever ! i think he secretly doesnt hate it that much, but just acts like it. for every egg he does well i give him a pb egg. so that seems to make it work : )

In a Trendy Town — April 23, 2014 @ 1:37 pm

We can’t see Life of Pi because we also want to have got every animal we see! Nice post, very original!

Meabh — April 23, 2014 @ 3:42 pm

Love the sound of lobster mac and cheese! you should defo share an updated recipe!

Lauren @ Healthy Delicious — April 23, 2014 @ 3:53 pm

That mac and cheese picture is killing me. I need more mac in my life!

joelle @ on a pink typewriter — April 23, 2014 @ 3:57 pm

Um, I think most of us would read about the weather if you were the one writing it — your writing style/personality and photography is so engaging. Don’t doubt yourself, lady!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — April 23, 2014 @ 7:12 pm

Sometimes the boring days are the ones we need the most. You may say that you didn’t inherit your mom’s patience, but now we know where your love for neon comes from! And PS, if you need a cookbook reviewer, you know who to call. ;)

Shelley — April 24, 2014 @ 7:54 am

You may not have inherited that patience, but you did apparently inherit the love of all things super bright + neon. ;)

Lynda — April 24, 2014 @ 8:47 am

Love the picture of Bella and THAT CAKE!!!

Sophia @ NY Foodgasm — April 24, 2014 @ 9:46 am

Life’s gotta be boring sometimes to make way for the crazier times.

Janet — April 24, 2014 @ 12:02 pm

I loved this post. It is not boring at all. I never would have made the lobster mac-n-cheese so thanks for the idea. Love the picture of the dog :)

Have a beautiful day!

Phi @ The Sweetphi Blog — April 24, 2014 @ 3:27 pm

How could you possibly doubt yourself after that gorgeous picture (I’m assuming that’s from the cookbook?) Either way-looks fantastic, and love these posts :)

Karen Anderson — April 24, 2014 @ 4:31 pm

That is one happy dog! Adorable!

Wendy A. — April 24, 2014 @ 10:49 pm

Ok where did you get the shoes???

Toyota Smith — April 26, 2014 @ 11:20 am

Love reading about your everyday normal weeks – it makes me feel not so guilty for having one of those busy weeks where I have done everything and nothing all at once. Love your blog

Sara — April 28, 2014 @ 7:47 pm

If you are looking for a great book and easy read…Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks. Amazing story and it really has the best ending!