RLW I howsweeteats.com

Kinda sorta mayba want a pair of jelly shoes even though I could never pull them off, but of course I just want to pretend like it’s 1989 again. I saw these over the weekend and not only are they JELLY but they are GLITTERY. They are hideous but part of me wants them anyway. I don’t think I’d ever wear them though, except in the presence of myself. Embarrassing. Do you hate me for it? I hate me for it.

Last week my favorite face baby turned three years old which is incredibly depressing because time is flying by soooo fast. His faces are quite ridiculous as usual but it’s tough for me to get a shot now since he moves so fast. The best part of his birthday was every time he pulled something out of a bag or opened a gift he kept screaming “oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh!” I mean… screaming.

These tacos  below (from edgars in the strip) are seriously some of my favorite tacos ever – but what made it even better is that I ordered some strawberry agua fresca and they basically give it to you in bucket. Okay okay, not a bucket, but it’s easily a large cup. And it’s so freaking good. I’ve always been weird about flavored drinks – for some reason I have always preferred water which is why I had a hard time starting to drink coffee. But this fresca. OMG. I’m dreaming about it. Go get it if you’re in Pittsburgh. (as a sidebar we’ve also deemed the cookies and cream donut from peace love little donuts our favorite. Yes, over everything else. It’s only taken a few years to figure out. If we’re talking appearances though: then duh, rainbow sprinkles.)

RLW I howsweeteats.com

I really want this million dollar vertical herb garden because I’m convinced that since I can’t keep herbs alive, this will. It kind of seems like a nightmare though. Of course I want it, so it can do the work for me. Typical millennial. Don’t worry, I won’t cave. I’d rather buy shoes anyway.

I finally updated my goodreads account last week – after I finished Emily Giffin’s the one and only. Oh my. If you’re been within earshot of me in the last week, I’ve given you an earful about the book. I don’t even know. The book made me feel so uncomfortable but at the same time I couldn’t put it down. It just felt so wrong. I’m all about “unallowed” (did I make that word up? the correct word has evaded me all week.) love stories as a hopefully romantic, but this just seemed borderline inappropriate. And there were like, never any reservations about it being borderline inappropriate, no real struggles from either character about oh this may be weird, you’ve kind of been my DAD. Just like it was natural. Did you read this? If so, please give me an earful. I’m still trying to get over it. I even reread portions of it. I can’t decipher my feelings on what a mess it was. OH WELL. Today I’m starting Molly’s Delancey!

Have you tried this cheese chocolate? Yes, I saw cheese chocolate. I’m kind of in love, even if it consists of black pepper which I’m not a huge fan of. But for years I’ve talked about one of my favorite snacks being a few pieces of chocolate, some parmesan blend (preferably merlot soaked!) and more sweet or savory snacks. No cheese plate is complete without a little chocolate. Truth.

I’m having a weird biscoff-on-toast moment. But then I have to beat into my head that IT’S NOT PEANUT BUTTER. It’s cookies. You want to eat cookies for breakfast. (who doesn’t?)

55 Responses to “on seven happenings from the last week.”

kita — May 28, 2014 @ 7:38 am

I am so glad I am not the only weird one that loves cheese and chocolate. I did a whole post on it once! It’s got to be a good cheese too. Love the merlot soaked parm idea. Toast those buckets to chocolate and cheese.
    And really you should see this pair of neon orange wedges I just ‘had to have’ talk about fugly. ;D

Molly @ Yes to Yolks — May 28, 2014 @ 7:54 am

I love your book recommendations. I’ll add “the one and only” to my summer reading list. Is the word you’re looking for (instead of “unallowed”) “forbidden”? Or is that too obvious? Also, every time you share pictures of those donuts, I die a little bit inside. I must find a place in Philly that can compete!

• Tiffany W. — May 28th, 2014 @ 8:38 am

Did you try Undergrnd Donut food truck yet? They are new this year (I think?). Anyway- I ate their strawberry Captain Crunch donut last week. To die for!

• Molly @ Yes to Yolks — May 28th, 2014 @ 8:54 am

I haven’t tried them yet! Definitely will! Thanks for the recommendation!

• Jessica — May 28th, 2014 @ 10:46 am

YESSSS MOLLY! forbidden is the word i haven’t been able to find since last thursday – ha!

Sarah @ the gold lining girl — May 28, 2014 @ 8:04 am

I haven’t read Emily Giffin’s latest novel yet since her last few were a little disappointing, but I definitely intend to. Your thoughts on it have piqued my view, for sure!! She has really nailed the ability to write things that build tension and suspense, and make her readers seriously uncomfortable. I mean, she has mastered this like no other. Whether that’s good or bad, it’s unique, I suppose! I am totally moving this book up to the top of the my list now.

• Jessica — May 28th, 2014 @ 10:46 am

i feel this way too – ADORED her first 3, her last 3… kinda meh.

Lauren — May 28, 2014 @ 8:06 am

I started reading that book last Friday and got really skeeved when I realized where it was going. I haven’t touched it since. I may have to return it. I’m all for forbidden romance, but this isn’t forbidden romance… it’s… gross.

Alyssa — May 28, 2014 @ 8:09 am

Jessica. Those jellies. I need them. I was the queen of sparkly jellies back in the day and since I’m still secretly six years old, these are perfect.

Leah — May 28, 2014 @ 8:09 am

I’m reading Delancey right now!! It is supposed to be my vacation book, but I’m already getting so into it. I was debating between that and One and Only, so it sounds like I made the right choice?

• Jessica — May 28th, 2014 @ 10:47 am

i can never pass up books by my fave authors even if the reviews are bad – the writing is still good, but i’d read some more reviews before you make a final choice. :)

Sara Palacios — May 28, 2014 @ 8:18 am

I just finished the new Giffin book and am right there with you. I have devoured every single book from her over the years, and have also reread them multiple times…but this one is just too much. I mean, the writing is great as per usual, but every single time Coach was mentioned I pictured either my dad or my best friend’s dad and needless to say, it really creeped me out. I read the book in three days and can recall telling my husband, “Ummm…I don’t think I like where this book is headed” about 6 or so chapters in. I am so offended that I have debated returning the book. Honestly, if I could, I would.

Kayley Maybe — May 28, 2014 @ 8:23 am

I’m a Emily Giffin fan, but after reading your comments maybe I’ll get this one from the library rather than purchasing….

Jessica — May 28, 2014 @ 8:29 am

I agree with your description of “The One and Only”. It was so wrong, to set up a fatherly admiration for Coach and then turn that on its head in such a weird way. I just rewatched “Something Borrowed” on TV the other night, and while she clearly crosses the line in that book, it’s not at all in the disgusting way she does in her latest book. I was also surprised about how much football talk she included-it wasn’t a problem for me but I don’t feel like I’m her average reader. I really kept thinking: her editor didn’t raise a question about any of this??

• Jessica — May 28th, 2014 @ 10:48 am

agree agree – i am a football fan but i was like… okay, enough football. so over it.

Maureen — May 28, 2014 @ 8:38 am

Had some Edgar’s on Friday – the watermelon agua fresca is also AMAZING!!

Jennifer S — May 28, 2014 @ 8:41 am

Forbidden love is maybe what you’re going for? I almost bought jelly shoes a couple of years ago when they first surfaced for adults, but I never found a pair that were cute and fit right and they don’t seem very comfortable, or at least the ones I tried on. Plus, it kind of weirded me out that they were clear. Like who wants to see my feet like that? But I feel like if you want them, you should get them and wear them proudly! Be like this is me, biotch, take it or leave it. They could totally be around the house/yard shoes, maybe. Shoes you wear to feel fabulous while you check the mail? You could totally make this work.

• Jessica — May 28th, 2014 @ 10:48 am

haha that is probably the ONLY place i’d wear them.

Sarah — May 28, 2014 @ 8:48 am

THOSE SHOES!!! They are mine now.

meredith @ Cookie ChRUNicles — May 28, 2014 @ 9:16 am

I totally had jelly shoes as a kid and loved them. In pink. And peach. I have a pair of Kate Spade jelly sandals and they make my feet sweat. But they are so cute…Love the peonies…

Trisha (Stew or a Story) — May 28, 2014 @ 9:33 am

I just started following your Good Reads account. I’m dying to read Delancey too. Can’t wait to hear what you think. And jelly shoes…just go for it.

Amy — May 28, 2014 @ 9:36 am

OMG, I was obsessed with jelly shoes as a kid…and I secretly want a pair now as an adult. I suppose there are just some things we never grow out of. Gorgeous photo of those flowers by the way.

Liz — May 28, 2014 @ 10:18 am

Yep, totally read The One and Only (weird title now that I’ve read the book) and it did make me super uncomfortable. I’m the same age as Shea so to think of ANY of my friend’s dads like that… super gross. Though I’m not sure the timing really panned out… they talked about her and Lucy being born with days/weeks of each other, but it would have had to have been while the parents were still in college given the age gap (20 years). I’m just… confused… and I normally love how Giffin makes us think about sometimes taboo things, but without really going over the line. You’re totally right, neither ever ONCE mentioned how it could be wrong, given so many other issues they had against them, not just the age gab and being her friend’s dad. SO CONFLICTED!

• Jessica — May 28th, 2014 @ 10:50 am

so much YES. i think that even if the characters had shown a LITTLE concern over this relationship (i know shea was concerned about lucy, but what about the fact that this dude was practically her dad and she has major daddy issues, then takes advice from her own dad who clearly seems to be a mess?) i could get behind the relationship a little more. the age gap didn’t really bother me at all, just the circumstances.

• Liz — May 28th, 2014 @ 11:01 am

DOUBLE YES – the age was a non-issue! I just don’t get why all the other ‘stuff’ was never mentioned… I’ve been scouring online interviews with Giffin trying to find some type of answer but so far nothing! Glad I’m not the only one… the Amazon reviews are interesting to read for sure. The glowing 5-stars make no mention of the love story line, while the low reviews ALL bring it up.

Annie @ Annie's City Kitchen — May 28, 2014 @ 10:20 am

I say just got for the jelly shoes. Let your inner 7 year old shine! You could wear them with a fun sundress or something?

• Laura | love and paris — May 28th, 2014 @ 11:41 am

I’m in complete agreement! If you’re going to wear jelly shoes, they should look as fabulous as those golden flats do. For real.

Kristen — May 28, 2014 @ 10:45 am

Suddenly, I really want some tacos and donuts. I loved my jelly shoes! They were my life.

Jessica — May 28, 2014 @ 11:54 am

This relates to exactly zero things in your post… but as an invisible internet friend, I thought you’d want to know. Since, you know, Nashville. Enjoy! As a relatable comment though – Im stalking your goodreads account now. That is all. :)

• Jessica — May 28th, 2014 @ 1:07 pm

i saw!! omg.

Lindsey Stu — May 28, 2014 @ 11:57 am

Girl, you don’t need to blow your shoe budget on a garden, you can make one. I know you don’t do crafts, I don’t either, but this is stupid easy. I made one a few years ago when I lived in an apt. I totally used a shower curtain instead of expensive landscaping fabric too… Here’s the tutorial if you’re interested!

• Jessica — May 28th, 2014 @ 1:07 pm

this.is.amazing. THANK YOU!

Sarah — May 28, 2014 @ 12:01 pm

Can’t wait to hear what you think of Delancey. The restaurant is within a mile of my house, so I’m hoping to read the book for book club and then go discuss it at Delancey (I’m sure that no one else will have this idea :) )

Simone — May 28, 2014 @ 12:34 pm

First of all, JELLIES? You should never apologize for liking them. Especially the ones you posted a link too. Pretty sure my Kelly Barbie doll had jellies as well. I would buy those glittery ones…

Just found out “Where We Belong” by Emily Giffin is at the library for me on hold – is that one any good?

• Jessica — May 28th, 2014 @ 1:06 pm

i remember that where we belong was the first emily giffin book that i was sort of let down by. i just loved her first three books so much. but it was still fairly good and i have friends who loved it!

sarah — May 28, 2014 @ 12:40 pm

i felt the same way about the new giffin book! i’m a huge fan of her others, but this one was a big letdown for me. i thought the whole coach relationship was strange and kind of taboo – and instead of convincing me that it was okay to go taboo, the book did the opposite: it made me feel yucky! i also was NOT into the football stuff. who cares? i don’t think giffin’s typical reader does. i just started sarah pekkanen’s catching air, and am really liking it so far. it’s a fast, easy summer read – you might like it!

• Jessica — May 28th, 2014 @ 1:05 pm

i finished catching air last week and totally loved it!!

Rebekah — May 28, 2014 @ 12:47 pm

OMG ladies!!! I purchased The One and Only just last night for my upcoming honeymoon to Hawaii next week. Now I’m totally freaked out!! I figured it would be a great beach read, but now I don’t know.This is coming from the girl who couldn’t finish 50 Shades of Grey. What should I do? Keep it? Return it? Any recommendations for a good beach read that won’t freak me out and be so skeevy?

• Jessica — May 28th, 2014 @ 1:05 pm

it is NOTHING like 50 shades – in fact there is barely any sex at all. i still read books even after i see unfavorable reviews so i’m probably not the best to ask! i would read some more reviews before totally deciding. have you read anything by kristin hannah? she writes some of my favorite beach reads! and elin hilderbrand for sure.

• Rebekah — May 28th, 2014 @ 1:09 pm

Any specifics on Kristin Hannah? I read Winter Garden and liked it, but didn’t love it. I haven’t read any of her others.

• Jessica — May 28th, 2014 @ 1:11 pm

winter garden was prob my least favorite too. but i totally adored firefly lane (didn’t love her sequel as much that was released last year), true colors, night road and on mystic lake – those all rank up these in some of my all-time favorite books!

Lynn @ The Actor’s Diet — May 28, 2014 @ 12:57 pm

Vosges’ chocolate bacon is my go-to gift. The cheese one sounds like a great option for vegetarians!

Larry — May 28, 2014 @ 3:46 pm

Ummmmm those shoes are amazing. And those donuts look amazing. And you’re amazing. UH-MAY-ZING!

I’m starving.

Maria — May 28, 2014 @ 5:09 pm

I’m most definitely lusting over some jelly shoes too! I’ve been trying to decide whether or not to buy Jack Rogers georgica jelly sandals in black all day long. Hmph.

Ellie — May 28, 2014 @ 6:03 pm

While we’re speaking of gems hidden in the strip, you should check out Carlo’s Garage Winery. I was back for a few weeks ago and had the best glass(es?) of wine there!

Laryssa — May 28, 2014 @ 6:53 pm

GIRL. I got these glitter jelly flats, and they are amazing. So cheap, too! http://www.gojane.com/97495.html

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — May 28, 2014 @ 8:49 pm

Your favourite face baby just happens to be one of my all time favourite Instagram accounts… his expressions make me laugh on a regular basis! And speaking of herb gardens, I’m planning to plant my own patio herb garden this weekend. I have zero gardening skills and a track record of killing basil plans, but I’m hoping for great things this year!

Ross @ TheFaceBaby — May 28, 2014 @ 10:24 pm

Amazing new tool bench? Ohhhhhhh myyyyyyy goshhhhhhh!
    New socks? Ohhhhhhh myyyyyyy goshhhhhhh!
    Anything inside a bag or wrapped in paper? Ohhhhhh myyyyyy goshhhhhhh!

Lexie — May 29, 2014 @ 1:52 am

I’ve no doubt posted this exactly comment before (but omg, SO good) — but, in Mexico last year, we had basil pineapple & strawberry hibiscus agua fresca and it was AMAZING… need to figure out how to re-create. Any input? ;)

Kristina — May 29, 2014 @ 9:01 am

I COMPLETELY agree about The One and Only. I love Emily Giffin’s books but this one definitely weirded me out a little bit.

Jen @ Marshmallows and Margaritas — May 29, 2014 @ 1:07 pm

I really, really want to buy these glitter jelly shoes: http://us.riverisland.com/women/shoes–boots/sandals/Pink-glitter-block-heel-jelly-shoes-650905 (they are exactly like the Guess ones I had in 1994! Which were obviously 1994’s version of 1986.) But they’re sold out in my size!!!
    Jellies forever, man.

Jessica — May 30, 2014 @ 4:58 pm

Have you ever had a sammich from Primanti Brothers?! Each time I see it on travel channel (huge crush on Adam Richman) I want one sooooo badly. Please review so I can see if these are worth while the next time I visit grandma :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 4, 2014 @ 7:34 pm

Jelly shoes!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!

tasia — June 10, 2014 @ 10:58 am

I LOVEEEEEEe edgars in the strip.. What kind did you get? I always get the steak and pulled pork. YUM. I never tried the fresca because, well, it’s in really strange containers and it kinda freaks me out! Maybe i’ll have to try it out next time.

Oh no!!! You already read the One and Only? I’m only on the third chapter and now I’m concerned from what you wrote that she ends up with the coach?! YIKES, I don’t know how I’m going to feel about that.

Emily @ Life on Food — June 14, 2014 @ 6:16 am

I have heard so much about the one and only. I don’t know if I still want to read it. of course though I will because at this point I need to see for myself. But still, I am second guessing!