I have a new favorite word: FLOATSICLE.

root beer floatsicles I howsweeteats.com

It just sounds so good. So summery. Like I’m floating in one those lazy rivers that winds around a waterpark or a massive hotel and is filled with germs and bacteria but it’s way too much fun to be bothered by that so I continue to float on in the center of a some giant neon pink donut with a umbrella studded beverage in hand, reeking of Lovespell because I doused myself in it even before swimming.

At least all that was summer cool in the early 2000s.

These are just as fab as that, minus all the gross stuff. And minus Lovespell. FLOATSICLE. Say it over and over again! Just give me a floatsicle.

root beer floatsicles I howsweeteats.com

I have a thing for root beer floats. Which is so weird, because I didn’t grow up having a thing for root beer floats. Even now, I don’t always want root beer. But when I do want, I WANT IT. Like immediately.

My favorite root beer floats consist of hot fudge. I made them once and rambled on and on about them. They are fantastic and I’m ticked that I’m not consuming one at this minute.

Root beer floats also make me think of root beer vodka, which sounds terrible in real life plain but when added to root beer, tastes like nothing except… root beer. It’s quite dangerous actually. My brother can tell you a story of how he accidentally on purpose had an entire bottle one night in college because it was mixed with root beer and seriously tastes just… like… root… beer. You don’t realize it until it’s too late.

Sidebar: root beer float foam. I love you.

root beer floatsicles I howsweeteats.com

I also made root beer float cupcakes AGES ago. Oh my gosh. Freaking do backflips over these things. Words cannot describe my love. You use root beer concentrate which again is something that sounds horrific in real life but when added to sugar and butter turns in to MAGIC.

Plus more hot fudge.

I’ve got a problem with root beer and chocolate. Try it. It’s a good problem to have.

Perhaps you should make these with chocolate ice cream. Do that. Report back! Add vodka. Shhhhh.

root beer floatsicles I howsweeteats.com

You can serve these guys with some whipped cream and cherries if you like – if you choose yes with the cherries then ummmm you must use my favorite – these tillen farms bing cherries that I talk about allllll the time. No artificial flavors or dyes and they taste even better than maraschino cherries.

And you are talking to someone who could eat a jar of maraschino cherries for dessert. Not even kidding. I love love love those little gems drenched in bleach and red number 5. Or whatever.

These ones are even better. Swear. Also, use vanilla bean gelato. Or something of the sort. Or jeni’s marshmallow birch, which is one of the greatest flavors forever evah.

So so. When you make these, you also must serve them with root beer floats because that’s just how the game goes. It’s double the fun.

root beer floatsicles I howsweeteats.com

Root Beer Floatsicles

Yield: makes 6 popsicles

Total Time: 6 hours

Ingredients:

2 12-ounce bottles of root beer (you probably won't need all of it)
1 cup of vanilla bean gelato
cherries for serving

Directions:

Fill the tops of the popsicle molds with a few spoonfuls of ice cream, so they are about 1/4 of the way full. Slowly pour the root beer into the molds. If it becomes too foamy, remove the foam with a spoon and continue to pour in root beer. Add the sticks and freeze for 4 to 6 hours.

P.S. these really are best when served with actual root beer floats.

root beer floatsicles I howsweeteats.com

dip it!

64 Responses to “Root Beer Floatsicles.”

Alessandra — May 29, 2014 @ 6:55 am

You are CRAZY genius. Now I’m singing floatsicles in my head to the tune of ‘Let it Go’… I’ve never actually tasted root beer (gasp!) but anything popsicle/ice cream related is automatically delicious in my book!

abigail — May 29, 2014 @ 7:12 am

Yea!!! I finally got my Popsicle molds in the mail! can’t wait to start trying some of these!

Molly @ Yes to Yolks — May 29, 2014 @ 7:32 am

Yes! I love anything with root beer. It’s an underrated flavor. Root beer floats are SO yummy, and even though I love them, I only have them like once a year…if that. I could also eat an entire jar of maraschino cherries in one sitting. I’ve done it before. My parents stopped buying them when I was a kid because I couldn’t be stopped. I definitely need to try the Tillen Farms version. This recipe makes me happy, and your pictures are lovely, as usual!

Lisa — May 29, 2014 @ 7:35 am

These look perfect! I have been searching for Popsicle molds to include on my wedding registry–does anyone have any tips on the best ones and/or where to buy them?

Baby June — May 29, 2014 @ 7:47 am

That IS a great word, and I think I shall have to use it IRL ASAP. :) And everything tastes better with a root bear float. :D

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — May 29, 2014 @ 7:49 am

Oh my gosh, YES! Yes to the lazy river, the pink donut, the root beer floats, and the cherries. I want it all now! :)

Kelly Jo — May 29, 2014 @ 8:12 am

Root beer mixed with vanilla vodka, seriously tastes just like a root beer float. Delicious and kinda dangerous. Hail to the floatsicle! Can’t wait to try these.

ashley - baker by nature — May 29, 2014 @ 8:18 am

We are totally popsicle mold twinsies! Now… to find where the heck mine actually is! Because I need these floatsicles!!! NEED.

amanda @ fake ginger — May 29, 2014 @ 8:21 am

Yes! I really need to get my hands on a popsicle mold because my kids are OBSESSED with root beer. They would go nuts over these!

MaryK. — May 29, 2014 @ 8:27 am

Love the photography! (Love the recipe too, but that last pic with the popsicle in the root beer float is awesome!)

Belinda@themoonblushbaker — May 29, 2014 @ 8:34 am

I am in feeling you with this recipe. Now all i need is a shot of booze in it to make it real Friday night float. My Popsicle mold thanks you !

Ashley — May 29, 2014 @ 8:58 am

So, so fun. Somehow, I never could get on board with root beer but I’m thinking an orange cream soda version would be just as good. :)

Alessandra — May 29, 2014 @ 8:59 am

What Popsicle mold do you have? Also, if you add Root Beer vodka, would they still freeze up?

Rebecca — May 29, 2014 @ 10:01 am

I love this idea. Floatsicle. Brilliant!!

Rhea- Hot Dog Food Blog — May 29, 2014 @ 10:17 am

Maraschino Cherries are my jam girlfriend! Like, all of these healthy people will be like, “you could die from the toxins in there”, and I’m like, “If I’m going to die because I ate some maraschino cherries, then so be it”. So there’s that. And I just really love this recipe!

bridget350@gmail.com — May 29, 2014 @ 10:24 am

sooooooo fun!!!

Molly @ Doughvelopment — May 29, 2014 @ 10:30 am

Brilliant just brilliant!! Screams summer!

Ursula — May 29, 2014 @ 10:31 am

I love this idea! it’s so summery and kind of reminds me of being a kid when I ate copious amounts of rootbeer floats

Tracy | Peanut Butter and Onions — May 29, 2014 @ 11:10 am

Ya for Summer treats

allie@sweetpotatobites — May 29, 2014 @ 11:11 am

Now you have me craving a root beer float. At 8:30am.

I have those exact same popsicle molds too – I think I’ll have to make this!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 29, 2014 @ 11:42 am

It’s been way too long since I’ve had a root beer float! This is a great way to get back into them! So clever! pinned

samantha — May 29, 2014 @ 12:08 pm

I love you 10,000 times more now. I just had throat surgery exactly one week ago today and I’m on a strict liquid diet. I can’t have diary, but I do eat lactose free ice cream. So I can totally make these work and eat something other than chicken broth and tomato soup for once. You have just made my day-seriously–thank you!!!

Tori — May 29, 2014 @ 12:14 pm

Oooh even better you should serve these with one of those root beer beers like Not Your Father’s Root Beer, it is so good and impossible to believe that it’s a 10% beer, it tastes just like root beer!

Matt Robinson — May 29, 2014 @ 12:57 pm

Love these! Especially dipped in the foam, my favorite part. So perfect for summer!

Erin — May 29, 2014 @ 12:59 pm

Oh man! These look so good.
    I also love ending ‘sicle to words… even when it doesn’t make sense sometimes haha

Rachel — May 29, 2014 @ 1:18 pm

This is seriously such perfect timing since I just bought a popsicle mold!! Cannot wait to try these!

ATasteOfMadness — May 29, 2014 @ 1:21 pm

Wowza. I think this might be the best thing I have seen all day

Farah @ The Cooking Jar — May 29, 2014 @ 1:37 pm

I haven’t had root beer in forever but it’s so good. Root beer makes me think of A&W though and giant onion rings. Great idea making it into a popsicle :)

Rose — May 29, 2014 @ 1:38 pm

Love Spell!! That took me back to 10th grade, wow. That stuff was like gold.. Especially up here in Canada where we had to make special trips to the US to go to Vic Secret because we didn’t have one here. Those were the days man.
    ALso these look so great, I adore floats! Although I must admit my favs are with 7-up ;) I think I will try a popsicle with Vanilla Coconut ice cream and 7-up!

Molly — May 29, 2014 @ 2:11 pm

Skip the vodka and get root beer schnapps.

janetha — May 29, 2014 @ 2:11 pm

yes yes YESSSSS

Carol at Wild Goose Tea — May 29, 2014 @ 2:19 pm

I am not sure the gelato would make it into the mix. BUT if I had showed some discipline, I imagine these would be extra special popsicles!

Angel Reyes — May 29, 2014 @ 2:42 pm

What a nice and beautiful idea. I can’t have it because I’ve been soda-free (clean) for 2 years now, but I love the flavor of root beer, and I love root beer floats. Good job!

Megan — May 29, 2014 @ 4:44 pm

How clever! Can’t wait for summer to make them!

Annie — May 29, 2014 @ 5:43 pm

Lovespell is just wretched! It reminds me of going into the girls’ changeroom in high school. Let that smell serve as a reminder that nothing good comes from a plastic perfume bottle.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — May 29, 2014 @ 6:59 pm

Whoaaaaaa this DOES sound good!! Want this now.

Robin Craig — May 29, 2014 @ 8:15 pm

These look AMAZING! My molds don’t turn out popsicles as cute as yours, but they keep the kids’ drips to a minimum. :) I’m sure these will be delicious in any form!

Ashley @ Metal + Honey — May 29, 2014 @ 8:34 pm

I’ve been meaning to buy popsicle molds for awhile to give it a whirl, but this recipe is the push to make it happen! I’m a root beer junkie!

Heather — May 29, 2014 @ 9:45 pm

I made these today with vanilla ice cream … they are stupid good. Next on my list: Guinness and vanilla ice cream floats!

Abbie @ Needs Salt — May 30, 2014 @ 1:03 am

These look PARFECT. I’m in love.
    pinning forever.

Renee @ Awesome on $20 — May 30, 2014 @ 1:57 am

I’m completely in love with these. Henry Weinhard’s root beer is the very best. I remember getting a bottle of that at lunch and drinking it in class in high school and freaking everyone out because the bottle looks just like beer. I guess I was easily amused back then. But I still love root beer. In fact, I’m getting angry right now because there’s no Sonic on my island to get a large vanilla root beer on a hot afternoon. Hawaii sucks. Or not.

Nicole deB. — May 30, 2014 @ 7:05 am

Now, I’m considering how much chocolate stout or maybe espresso porter I can get in there and it still freeze solid. I guess I would have to use a lower alcohol beer 5% or 6% would work, maybe.. *ponders* The best float I had was at the French Broad Chocolate Lounge in Asheville, NC. Chocolate stout beer with belgian chocolate ice cream (so creamy it was more like a beautiful gelato). It was GLORIOUS. Now that would be an awesome floatsicle.

DessertForTwo — May 30, 2014 @ 8:32 am

I just cracked up at you saying you like the maraschino cherries drenched in bleach and red dye! Me too, me too. Will we die first? probs.

Lauren Everson — May 30, 2014 @ 9:25 am

These are pure genius. So simple yet perfect!

Kylie L. — May 30, 2014 @ 10:29 am

Vodka and rootbeer sounds a like an evil genius idea! Where’d you get the popsicle molds from?

Kathy W — May 30, 2014 @ 12:38 pm

Wow! Root beer floats are a favorite in the summer. Now if I can just find my popsicle molds……

Barbara | Creative Culinary — May 30, 2014 @ 5:21 pm

Loving root beer here too; one of the first things I had to discover when I moved was where A&W was; it’s a have to have,

First cocktail I did that sort of started the whole Friday Cocktail thing on my blog was a root beer and vodka float (whipped cream instead of ice cream). The distillery that served it called it Vootbeer; cute huh?

Filipino Food — June 3, 2014 @ 12:00 am

Oh wow. It is fabuluos.

Keisha@MochBakerGirl — June 4, 2014 @ 7:10 am

ummm….would it be weird if just left a comment that said….AWWWWW YEEEAAAHH! Thats the first thing that popped in my head the minute i saw these! i love root beer float so this is truly awesome

Jennifer @ Crockpot Gourmet — June 5, 2014 @ 2:47 pm

Love it! I had just decided to order some Popsicle molds and then I came across your recipe! Perfect and my son will be very impressed :)

1. Pingback: Yum, We Love . . .

2. Pingback: IDEA ENVY | HAUS OF KITTY

3. Pingback: The Thursday Thirteen – June 5, 2014 | Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice

4. Pingback: Welcome To The Weekend - Elizabeth Anne Designs: The Wedding Blog

5. Pingback: 20 Deliciously Refreshing Popsicle Recipes | Little Red WindowLittle Red Window