tuesday things I howsweeteats.com

1. Last night between the two of us, we ate seven ears of incredible local corn. I had three and he had four. It is so ridiculously delicious right now.

2. This birthday party ice cream cake?! I can barely deal. Those colors. Those layers. It was made for me.

3. I’ve been switching between the Babyface and Boyz II Men pandora stations. Wish I was kidding.

4. There is no better day to set a standard with your fitbit and wear it while you’re moving to a new house. It’s like a million flights of stairs… what? Why aren’t I doing 35K steps everyday!

5. Last week while photographing some recipes I nailed myself right between the eyes with my million pound camera. Hard. I was convinced I gave myself a concussion and then had a bruise in between my eyeballs. As expected, I whined for days.

6. It’s that time of year again, when I want to go out and blow all of my money on school supplies. I wish they were necessary.

7. I am totally dying over the last two episodes of Masters of Sex. Two weeks ago that episode gutted me and Sunday’s episode… ugh I just love it. I love Lizzy Caplan (aka Janice Ian from mean girls, omg). I’m watching my dreams go down the drain on True Blood but am at least hopefully they won’t kill Eric. Every week I think the episode won’t be as bad as the last and then we watch the clock the entire time and it draaaaags. Also, we just keep watching episodes of Shark Tank. We are so obsessed. It’s like our decompress time every night.

8. My mom kills it in the funfetti arena. This past weekend she made TWO boxes of cupcakes. Oops.

9. Did I see somewhere that August is the month when Starbucks brings back the pumpkin spice latte? What? Whyyyyyy. AUGUST IS SO NOT FALL!

10. Pittsburgh friends! I’ll be the guest chef at the Pittsburgh public market in the strip this Saturday from 12-2. I will feed you. Come hang out!

49 Responses to “Tuesday Things.”

molly yeh — August 5, 2014 @ 10:04 am

number 8! number 8!!!!!!!

Julie @ Table for Two — August 5, 2014 @ 10:05 am

Ugh, I swear the PSL comes out every year earlier and earlier! Not cool!

samantha — August 5, 2014 @ 10:06 am

I’ve been seriously considering getting a fitbit, but, in your opinion, is it worth the money??

• Jessica — August 5th, 2014 @ 8:52 pm

i seriously love my fitbit. i wrote more in depth about it here: http://www.howsweeteats.com/2013/12/november-favorites-food-fun/

for me it’s worth it – but i don’t use it for workouts or anything like that. i use it more just as a reminder to be active throughout the day – on top of workouts. if that makes sense? like just to be an active person and not sit on my butt when i’d rather be lazy. it’s also been awesome during pregnancy because when i was sick it gave me a little goal to hit. i will use my workout steps to count the total, but mainly for me it’s just about having an active lifestyle and moving everyday.

Jessica — August 5, 2014 @ 10:24 am

1- I wish I lived in Pittsburgh so I could come stalk — I mean, VISIT — you on Saturday! :)
    2 – I listened to your interview on Jess Lively yesterday and just had to say – i <3 you. You are so sweet and hilarious and inspiring, and I want to be best friends. :)

nicole — August 5, 2014 @ 10:28 am

Working as a cashier at Target I’ve done nothing but run up school supplies I have on more than one occasion wondered if you were going to write about your love of school supplies and then realized that was kind of creepy seeing as how I only know you on the internet.
    On another note. So. Many. Cute. Supplies.

Liz @ Floating Kitchen — August 5, 2014 @ 10:38 am

Corn for days!!!! I can’t get enough. I think I’ve gone through an entire thing of floss in a week due to all the corn eating….TMI!

Kelly — August 5, 2014 @ 10:39 am

I just wanted to say that I love your Tuesday Things posts. I actually just started watching Nashville because of them. i don’t even like country music (or should say didn’t because after only 2 episodes it’s growing on me…)

That ice cream cake is ridiculous! I would definitely would enjoy it with some different ice cream flavors – maybe double fudge brownie, cookie dough and cookies n cream. Yum!

And since I’ve never commented before just need to add: love your blog and love your photos! Keep doing what you’re doing :)

Angel Reyes — August 5, 2014 @ 10:45 am

Happy Tuesday

Emily P — August 5, 2014 @ 11:04 am

OBSESSED with school supplies! Just think – in a few years you’ll be able to buy as many supplies as you want for your little one!

• Jessica — August 5th, 2014 @ 8:53 pm

i never even thought of this… ha!

• Rachel — August 8th, 2014 @ 10:06 am

You’re going to love it. Except when they choose something totally not what you wanted them to get. ;)

Bri | Bites of Bri — August 5, 2014 @ 11:07 am

Loving the fresh summer corn right now. It’s so good anyway we enjoy it. Cannot get enough. Oh and that ice cream cake…KILLER! I want!

Tracy | PeanutButter and Onion — August 5, 2014 @ 11:32 am

I wish I lived in Pittsburg!!! I am totally coming for a visit if your signing there in the fall.!

Amanda — August 5, 2014 @ 11:38 am

What is up with you pregnant gals moving!? I know so many pregnant ladies who are moving during their pregnancy. I applaud the strength because I think I would have a meltdown.

Totally agree about True Blood. It’s a snooze fest and they BETTER NOT kill Eric!

Jesse — August 5, 2014 @ 12:15 pm
    ErinLeigh — August 5, 2014 @ 12:45 pm

The YMCA is always taking donations. I go out and buy a whole bunch of school supplies to donate because I love school supply shopping so much.

• Jessica — August 5th, 2014 @ 8:53 pm

this is an awesome idea!!

Kimberly — August 5, 2014 @ 1:06 pm

JANICE IAN!! My mind is blown. I couldn’t figure out where i recognized her from and thought it was some sort of weird Katy Perry association i was making. Thank you for this. That show is seriously the best!

MIndy Zemrak — August 5, 2014 @ 1:10 pm

I’m the Casting Manager for Shark Tank!!! Thank you for watching our show :) Season 6 new episodes premiere Sept 26th :) PS – reordered your cookbook awhile back..cant’ wait!

• Eddie — August 5th, 2014 @ 3:09 pm

I cannot wait for the mini-Shark Tank marathon tonight on CNBC.

• Rachel — August 8th, 2014 @ 10:07 am

So cool!

Stephanie — August 5, 2014 @ 1:33 pm

Boyz II Men performed with Billy Joel over the weekend at Citizens Bank Park. It was epic.

• Jessica — August 5th, 2014 @ 8:53 pm

o
      m
      g

Maggie @ Just a Couple More Pages — August 5, 2014 @ 1:37 pm

Just think, in a few years you’ll be buying tons of school supplies! :)

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist — August 5, 2014 @ 1:49 pm

August is SO not fall!!! It’s my birthday month!! Please just let me enjoy funfetti in peace without fall knocking on my door! I want coconut cake too. Every year. All the time.
    OMG Masters of Sex kills me. I love it so much. And my husband is hooked too, so its the best thing ever. We watch Ray Donovan then Masters and its the best night ever!

Anna — August 5, 2014 @ 1:59 pm

Oh my gosh my husband and I are addicted to Shark Tank too! It’s the perfect thing to put on to relax, when you don’t feel like you can do a movie or an intense TV show.
    And yes to school supplies. Just bought an Erin Condren planner and have been scoping stickers and eons for days!!!

• Anna — August 5th, 2014 @ 2:00 pm

Ugh. Eons. I meant pens.

Rachel Wilkerson Miller — August 5, 2014 @ 3:13 pm

Speaking of school supplies, I feel like you recently wrote about how much you love pens from Le Pen? (Did I make that up??) I want some and if I did not imagine you talking about this, then I need you to share the best ink colors!

(Apologies if I imagined ALL of this.)

tara — August 5, 2014 @ 3:14 pm

I really need to start watching Masters of Sex.

Ahhh I wish I lived in Pittsburgh! That’s so cool (re: #10).

That corn looks delicious! I would’ve eaten three ears, too.

Katy — August 5, 2014 @ 4:17 pm

I wouldn’t mind SO much on the early PSL if they didn’t take it away the MOMENT the air cools down and it actually FEELS like fall. PSLs when it’s hot outside is just wrong.

Leslie — August 5, 2014 @ 5:09 pm

Yum! That looks so good! Happy Tuesday!

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs — August 5, 2014 @ 6:35 pm

I’m so with you on the school supplies — I have no desire to be back in school, but I also want to buy all of the pretty binders/notepads/pencils/pencil cases/all the things :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — August 5, 2014 @ 7:13 pm

I was at Starbs twice today and didn’t see any PSLs, but if I do, I think I might cry. It only just got warm enough for iced drinks! And school supplies.. oh my gosh yes. I’d buy like 50 planners given the chance!

Ellie — August 5, 2014 @ 7:13 pm

I feel you on the school supplies situation. I may still be in school (last year of undergrad), but it’s just not the same since you don’t really NEED as many (fun) things as you once did in elementary or middle school, heck maybe even high school since I took art classes. I’m definitely going to buy a lovely planner though; I’m a sucker for the ones at Target.

Larry — August 5, 2014 @ 7:35 pm

You should come be the guest chef in my kitchen… now THAT would be an event! I’ll bedazzle a spatula for you.

Haley — August 5, 2014 @ 7:51 pm

WITH YA. August is not fall. Summer is not over, and the PSLs need to stay locked up a little longer. You’re speaking my language, girl.

Emily @ Life on Food — August 5, 2014 @ 8:27 pm

I am not ready for pumpkin spice lattes yet.

Millie l Add A Little — August 5, 2014 @ 8:33 pm

The corn sounds amazing and so delish!

Rebecca @ Hello Creative Blog — August 5, 2014 @ 9:16 pm

That cake – holy wow goodness of ice cream and fun.
    Your tuesday things brighten my week. Literally.

allison — August 5, 2014 @ 9:49 pm

August is not even a little bit of Fall. In my opinion, PSL should never come out, but if it must, end of September is good. Love love love school supplies (perks of needing notebooks and work supplies for our business, I always buy new stuff in Sept), but with school supplies in stores in July and PSL in Aug, how does one really enjoy summer. summer forever!!!!

Christina R. — August 5, 2014 @ 10:17 pm

Unless Starbucks goes against tradition, the PSL should come out the first week in September. My niece works at a Starbucks in TN & they were told not until Sept (although that hasn’t stopped people from asking for it EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. since Aug 1st, lol).

joelle (on a pink typewriter) — August 5, 2014 @ 11:31 pm

This cracks me up — i LOVE school supplies too! And have literally no reason to buy them at this point.

Medha @ Whisk & Shout — August 5, 2014 @ 11:46 pm

I’m gonna be in Pittsburgh this weekend too! Well, at least briefly on Friday and part of Saturday. Have fun! (Funfetti is everything)

Melanie Zimmerman — August 6, 2014 @ 9:32 am

Jessica–I work in the Strip and usually head to the Public Market on my lunch but I’ve been wanting to head down on a Saturday soon..what a perfect excuse for this weekend!!! I’m sure no matter what it’ll be fab but any hints as to what you’re making?!

P.S. I made the peach galette yesterday (a little cheat from paleo..all things in moderation) and it was SO delicious. I love pie crust but hate to roll it out etc because I’m a perfectionist…the rusticness of the galette crust was perfectly low pressure for me :)

megan k — August 6, 2014 @ 10:57 am

Pandora lets you shuffle stations…so you could have a Babyface AND Boys II Men station…

Phi @ The Sweetphi Blog — August 6, 2014 @ 1:56 pm

Every time I walk by corn at the farmers market I feel compelled to buy it, so I always have a ton of it at my house lol. Definitely a summer fave of mine, and I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one who eats a ton of it in the summertime!

Vanessa — August 7, 2014 @ 5:16 pm

One of the main reasons I was excited about going back to college after a hiatus was to buy school supplies once again! Haha. Love them.