tuesday things I howsweeteats.com

1. My iphone keeps correcting “beet” to “beer.” It knows me well.

2. Can we freak out over the gorgeousness of this ginger melon sangria? Hello beautiful.

3. I’m curious as to how you eat string cheese. Do you pull it into strings (I do, have since I was a kid) or do you just take bit bites off the top? The second way freaks me out. Because I am a lunatic.

4. Do I even need to mention how fanatical Eddie is over the new Taylor Swift song? If you’ve been reading then you know he has an undying love for her… and every time I walk into a room he is blasting the song. For real.

5. Last week we also had a s’mores-cation. And I decided to put white chocolate coconut peanut butter ON my s’more. Dead. Just dead.

6. I saw my friend Kristen share this last week and I am utterly obsessed: how and why to do a life audit. Yes.

7. TV junk. Okay let’s please talk about True Blood in the comments. I want to say so much but don’t want to spoil it – however – what a crock, let’s watch a stupid event take place for 45 minutes between characters that… I’ll stop there. BLAH. A bunch of you keep asking if I’m still watching the Leftovers and my answer is YES – but as of last week I still had two episodes to catch up on. Mainly because I need Eddie to watch them with me so he can explain them. It freaks me out. What are your thoughts? I really still can’t get over how much I love Masters of Sex. omgahhhh. Michael Sheen and Lizzy Caplan are incredible. I watch every episode two or three times – it makes for great late night work distraction.

8. Surprisingly enough I don’t really watch anything on Bravo – I’ve never watched any of the Real Housewives or anything like that… but I did discover Million Dollar Listing last week and got sucked into that vortex.

9. In the last seven days we had tacos twice for breakfast. I want to make this a thing… always.

60 Responses to “Tuesday Things.”

Rachel — August 26, 2014 @ 12:17 pm

I’m so stupidly jealous of anyone who can eat String Cheese. I’m allergic, and it always looked so fun!

Also, True Blood. I can understand the ending, because it made the whole final episode about life, but I don’t think the level of ‘cute’ suited the show in general. Though that dinner scene outside for Thanksgiving was stunning.

Eric Northman was the best in the end. I loved his ending, and that the last we saw of him in real time was bopping his head to electro in a sports car full of corpses. So Eric.

Ashley — August 26, 2014 @ 12:25 pm

I eat string cheese the CORRECT way. why else would they call it string cheese, and not make it stringy?? I was actually using some string cheese in a recipe i made this weekend (easy pizza rolls, pinterest!) and my husband ate his very first one this weekend…and he ate it the wrong way! ah. i couldn’t even handle it. ha!

Connie — August 26, 2014 @ 12:27 pm

Well…I try to pull the string cheese into strings, but when I cannot get satisfactorily thin strips I give up and bite it. I’m glad I’m not hanging out with Eddie, I CANNOT STAND that new Taylor Swift song! I also believe that tacos should be a totally acceptable breakfast thing. Rock on. :-)

Victoria — August 26, 2014 @ 12:28 pm

i totally had a taco for breakfast last week, it was delicious. why should breakfast burritos have all the fun?

Alexandra W. — August 26, 2014 @ 12:30 pm

It totally freaks me out when people take a bite out of string cheese. I think that somehow it will taste different…

Averie @ Averie Cooks — August 26, 2014 @ 12:36 pm

Love the life audit thing. One of the first things the guy suggest is to write down 100 of your wishes/goals and I just gave it to my 7 year old and asked her to write some things down. Her first answer was: own a unicorn or a pony which would be especially useful because I can ride off on it when I’m in trouble. LOL Thank you for the summer day vacation activity :) Hope you guys are having an amazing vacation!

Brittany Boatman — August 26, 2014 @ 12:38 pm

True Blood finale was total garbage. HBO should be ashamed of that show. However, The Leftovers episode this week was AMAZING!

Jessica — August 26, 2014 @ 12:40 pm

Keep string cheese stringy! Otherwise it’s a cheese stick. And in that case it needs to be breaded and fried.

Also, I could be bffs with your husband, bc I heard T-swift’s new song lastnight in the car and wanted to hit replay X 1000. Im 16 in a 30 year old body.

Also – I vote tacos. Every meal. All the time. That would be heaven.

• Jessica — August 26th, 2014 @ 12:42 pm

OMG Jess, I forgot – WHERE did you get white chocolate coconut peanut butter?! Or is that 3 separate ingredients?!

Molly @ Yes to Yolks — August 26, 2014 @ 12:43 pm

True Blood. The only thing I liked about the finale was the way they ended the Eric/Pam story line. The rest was a total cop out and made me feel like I just wasted 7 years of my TV life. They tried to tie a pretty ribbon on all these complicated story lines to just quickly wrap them up. What a crock, as you say. But at least Eric got to rule the world in the end. He was always the best part of that show. Also, totes with you on the string cheese theory.

Peezy — August 26, 2014 @ 12:57 pm

OK.. True Blood. I know you are hating it… but a friend explained it to me this way.. everyone ended up with as “normal” a life as they could have and I think that that is what they all truly wanted after all the crap they had been through. What were you expecting? How did you want it to end? How were they supposed to end it…with everyone dying?.. with Sookie and Eric skipping off into the sunset? That would have been more stupid. I did not like the ending at first .. but after thinking about it.. everyone ends up doing what they need to do…to continue on and be happy and “normal”( each in their own way) in life. Isn’t that what we all want too? ok.. nuff said…

Miranda — August 26, 2014 @ 12:58 pm

Per your question about string cheese… I’m a hybrid of both. I like to take one small bite off of the top so that the cheese fibers splay out, then I can more easily pull the strings the rest of the way. Also, this is the weirdest blog comment I’ve ever left anyone, ever.

• Rachel — August 26th, 2014 @ 1:30 pm

I do the same thing!!!!! I also like to let the string cheese come to room temperature first, if I can wait that long because well…all cheese tastes better at room temp!

tara — August 26, 2014 @ 12:59 pm

People who eat the string cheese in bites off the top are probably sociopaths :) Clearly you string it! It’s called string cheese for a reason, hello!

That Taylor Swift song is actually really amazing… I loved it.

The life audit sounds fantastic and like exactly what I need!

Tracy | PeanutButter and Onion — August 26, 2014 @ 1:12 pm

I want to go on a smorescation! best camp food ever. Have you ever read the outlander series. the first 2 hundred pages of book 1 is BORING, but them you can’t stop. New TV series about it… AWESOME

• Samantha — August 26th, 2014 @ 8:44 pm

Love love love the Outlander books!! And the new show is really good too!

• Alyson Bailey — August 27th, 2014 @ 9:26 am

OUTLANDER!!! Definitely a show worth watching and a book series worth reading! I can’t wait to see them on the Emmy’s red carpet and stage next year!!

Leslie — August 26, 2014 @ 1:22 pm

I had taco’s for dinner two nights last week . i love mexican food. That s’more looks amazing! I hope your having a great Tuesday!

erica — August 26, 2014 @ 1:25 pm

have you been watching The Killing? it’s awesome…and almost like True Detectives. give it a try if you haven’t yet!

jessica — August 26, 2014 @ 1:45 pm

I feel like they threw this entire season of TB away. Like how are you going to kill a main character in the first episode without actually, oh I don’t know, ADDRESSING IT?? and then waste that much time on that “event”. Such a shame it started off so great.

And I watch all the Bravo things. It’s sad, really.

• Jes — August 26th, 2014 @ 9:39 pm

Wait…who are you talking about in the beginning? Tara? And which “event”? The wedding? I’m not following the code! But…I thought the finale centering on that wedding was ridiculous. I could have cared less about them as a couple. I loved the way they ended things with Eric, Pam and Sarah Newlin. I didn’t like the way things ended with Sookie…I thought Bill was turning human and they could be together…ridiculous, I know…but better than some rando dude…I dunno, I think the show has been a bit throw away for a few years now…started so good though!

Awks Irish Girl — August 26, 2014 @ 1:50 pm

One question. What is white chocolate coconut peanut butter and how can I eat it???
    Thank you.

Kim — August 26, 2014 @ 1:54 pm

I can never get enough of Million Dollar Listing NY, Miami, Los Angeles…doesn’t matter I like them all!! I read recently that they are expanding the show to other cities. I think that will be really cool.

ka

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — August 26, 2014 @ 2:03 pm

Eating string cheese any other way than pulling it into strings is just…wrong.

Mandy — August 26, 2014 @ 2:24 pm

1. How amazing does that s’mores look?
    2. Pulling string cheese into little strings is the b e s t way to eat string cheese.
    3. I HAVE to try that ginger melon sangria recipe.
    4. I should do a life audit too…
    Love your theme btw. :) xo

Mandy

Angela @ Health's Angel — August 26, 2014 @ 2:34 pm

I’d like to echo a couple of the comments above…I would love to know more about that white chocolate coconut peanut butter!?!!
    I’m horrible with TV shows. Every few years or so I’ll get REALLY into just one show. Like Breaking Bad. I watched the whole series on Netflix this summer and I am still obsessed and convinced that I won’t find anything I like as much now.
    When I watch TV, I’m usually watching horrible Lifetime movies and reruns of the Golden Girls…Haha!

Kelly — August 26, 2014 @ 3:08 pm

I’m on the verge of giving up on The Leftovers. I just feel like NOTHING ever happens!

Robn — August 26, 2014 @ 3:12 pm

I thought the TB finale was a HUGE let down. I felt like everything that happened in the hour and 10 minutes could have happened in the first 15 minutes. Ugh. I was hoping it would go out with a bang. And a lot more Eric? Just ugh.

Katriel — August 26, 2014 @ 3:22 pm

I like to chop string cheese into fat little cylinders and eat it on a toothpick with a pickle.

Pam — August 26, 2014 @ 3:27 pm

Wisconsin cheesehead affectionato here…I eat string cheese by first putting it in the microwave for a 10 second zap, then pulling apart or biting depending how soft it is.

Kelsey — August 26, 2014 @ 3:40 pm

White chocolate coconut peanut butter?! That sounds amazing. Where can I find this magical spread?

And I’ve been on a s’mores kick, too! I made s’mores cinnamon rolls last weekend and then went to a summer festival, where I had a s’mores ice pop AND s’mores funnel cake. Sooooo delicious.

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist — August 26, 2014 @ 4:25 pm

Eating string cheese off the top is like biting into an entire KitKat slab without breaking them. WRONG

Alyssa — August 26, 2014 @ 4:34 pm

Breakfast taco recipe please!!

joelle (on a pink typewriter) — August 26, 2014 @ 4:35 pm

I soooo want that s’more today for my b-day instead of cake! And that life audit article is definitely piquing my interest!

Ang — August 26, 2014 @ 4:43 pm

I can’t deal when I see people bite into string cheese. I also have a weird thing about american cheese slices…they gross me out but I can eat them if that’s the only cheese available and they are melted. I’ve seen people eat them straight out of the plastic and I want to puke.

Ashley Nathalie — August 26, 2014 @ 4:52 pm

True Blood… Not happy. Wtf. But I will still and always be a lover of the series as a whole. As for all things smores, we started stuffing out marshmallows with rolos then roasting and sandwiching between gram crackers. Not pretty but absolutely delicious!!

Lacey R. — August 26, 2014 @ 5:42 pm

I wrap deli turkey around my string cheese and bite into it. Delicious mid-afternoon snack!

Kristen — August 26, 2014 @ 6:29 pm

UGGH! I am so annoyed with True Blood. The final scene reminded me of The Sopranos. The whole episode was so drawn out and irritating. I did like Eric’s scenes, but seriously can we get some closure?!?!

• Peezy — August 27th, 2014 @ 6:38 pm

Everybody ended up with someone they loved.. grew to love or wanted to be with.. isn’t that closure? ..

Harper — August 26, 2014 @ 6:43 pm

Uh no the people who take big bites of string cheese clearly have underlying issues.

Jenni — August 26, 2014 @ 8:34 pm

Have you done fried egg tacos? Basically all your normal taco fixings plus fried eggs. Crazy good.

Cee Pluse — August 26, 2014 @ 9:16 pm

For me there is only one way to eat string cheese and it is totally weird. I take it with me when I go trail riding. The heat of the day practically melts the cheese. When we are done riding I eat it in my vehicle on the drive home and it is so soft and warm and gooey it practically oozes out of its little plastic wrapper (but it is still solid, if a bit floppy). This slightly greasy goodness is like pizza cheese, and I no longer like to eat string cheese any other way!

Amber Rhodes — August 26, 2014 @ 9:17 pm

What is string cheese!?! Do they even have it here in Australia? It sounds like way too much fun for a dairy product!

Millie | Add A Little — August 27, 2014 @ 2:20 am

Beet to beer. hahah classic! :)

Liselle Konig — August 27, 2014 @ 8:47 am

If you are into period TV you MUST watch Outlander on Starz. It’s so good I have watched last Saturday’s episode twice. And I never re-watch TV shows. I loved the books and now I’m loving the show.

Alyson Bailey — August 27, 2014 @ 9:31 am

True Blood – someone up there ^ said that it was OK that they ended with as normal as they could get. Here’s my problem with that. True Blood and the characters are not, were not, and never could be normal. I hate to sound creepy or morbid, but everyone dying was what I was expecting, except Eric and Sookie, they would have to get together, and of course Pam would stay by Eric’s side. Also, I get that the guy Sookie ends up with is someone we’ve never met — but It wanted to know who he was!!! All in all a very disappointing end to the series. A giant let down. And I am one to always find the positive in these things…none here.

• Alyssa — August 27th, 2014 @ 11:16 am

Agreed, Sookie totally should have given up her light if she really wanted “normal.” So after a lifetime of being unable to date because she can hear all the awful things men think, all of a sudden she finds her perfect guy in that tiny little town just after Bill dies? And how did Jason and Bridgette manage to pump out so many kids in 4 years? And did she just up and leave her life in Alaska for him to live in the same town as her ex? I just don’t get it. Ack.

• Peezy — August 27th, 2014 @ 6:42 pm

Nor every character in TB was a vampire or a shifter or a wherewolf there were some human characters also….

David | From Ballparks to BBQ — August 27, 2014 @ 10:21 am

White chocolate coconut peanut butter s’more? GAME. CHANGER.

Alyssa — August 27, 2014 @ 11:13 am

Yeah True Blood was a total letdown, but since that’s pretty much what I expected… not a huge loss. Eric and Pam’s final moments are where it’s at.
    I’m loving The Leftovers… it’s so good, but I wonder if I’d love it as much if Justin Theroux wasn’t the lead. He’s so yummy. I’m really excited because my shows are basically over now until The Walking Dead and American Horror Story start back up in October, which means I can finally catch up on Shameless and start Orange Is the New Black – which, if one more person asks me WHY I’m not watching it yet I’m going to lose my mind – I follow a lot of shows!! Lol
    Anyway. It’s been so beautiful this summer so thank goodness we have no outdoor space at our apartment or I’d be way behind on my television watching.

Sarah — August 27, 2014 @ 12:21 pm

True Blood. Yuck. The book series ended much better. Although it had a completely different story arc then the show. I thought I was disappointed in the books but I appreciate them much more after what HBO did to the series. At least the books made somewhat more sense.

elizabeth — August 27, 2014 @ 3:00 pm

I can’t believe I watched this last season of True Blood – it’s like the writers and editors just gave up. Pam and Eric (those are easier to type than their real names) must have been like WTF when they were acting out those last scenes. I mean, COME ON!! Million Dollar Listing is one of my favorites, but ya know what really got me? The new Single’s Project on Bravo – the first episode was just, meh. I didn’t really understand the premise, but now that I get it and it’s practically in real time, it’s sucked me in. I need to watch Masters of Sex… the Leftovers creeps me out! And I’m with Eddie, I love the new T.Swizzle song!!

Sarah @ the gold lining girl — August 27, 2014 @ 8:08 pm

I relate to Eddie’s crush on Taylor Swift. I’m 33 and female…. nevertheless, I’m finally ready to admit that I think I really like her music. A lot. I denied it for a long time, but I’m on the T. Swift bandwagon. I also read somewhere that she’s quite philanthropic and that further solidified things for me!

Carly — August 28, 2014 @ 8:52 am

I have only seen breakfast burritos at Taco Bell, Jack in the Box and McDonalds since we moved to Texas. The breakfast taco is a big deal here. A VERY BIG DEAL

Emily @ Life on Food — August 28, 2014 @ 12:31 pm

When the Taylor Swift song first came out I hated it but now it is growing on me. Um, yes you have to pull the string cheese apart. Isn’t that the point? No other way to eat it.

Jen — August 28, 2014 @ 8:30 pm

When you mentioned how to eat string cheese (and in the comments I see someone mentioned eating Kit Kits properly as well) — This was all I could think of:

Also – the smores (smore?) in that pic. Mine never look that good, but now I want to make some anyway because that melty chocolate looks awesome.

Larry — September 9, 2014 @ 5:14 pm

BREAKFAST TACOS ARE TOTALLY A THING!! I’m hella late, but I was on vacation when this was posted, so during my “down time” at work, I’m trying to catch up on all your loveliness. So yes. Breakfast tacos. ugh!

1. Pingback: August Favorites: Food + Fun. | How Sweet It Is