Whole Wheat Chicken and Parmesan Lasagna.
I have a secret. Up until a few weeks ago, I would have never even considered making lasagna.
But then I found these.
Whole wheat, no boil noodles.
I picked them up and immediately was on a mission.
See, lasagna is way down at the bottom of the list for both Mr. How Sweet and me. He claims to hate ricotta cheese (although contrary to what he believes, he has eaten it plenty of times), and I am not much of a tomato sauce fan. Lasagna just isn’t on our side.
But I knew if I could make it with chicken (for him) and mushrooms (for me) and tons of cheese (mainly for me), but not ricotta (for him) and a light layer of tomato sauce (for me… again) and these neat whole wheat noodles that I picked up… we may love it.
Enter ricotta-less lasagna!
It was quite easy to assemble and didn’t take very long at all.
I usually have some shredded chicken on hand because, well… Mr. How Sweet might die if I didn’t. It comes in handy at times like these.
I topped the lasagna with some fresh basil and it was a total hit. I even loved it, which I didn’t think was a possibility. The whole wheat noodles are definitely chewier than traditional lasagna noodles, but that is usually why I choose whole wheat pasta over non-whole wheat. I crave the chewiness. And lots of cheese.
Lots of cheese. Obviously.
- 6-8 no boil, whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 6 ounces cooked, shredded boneless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms, chopped
- 4 cups raw spinach
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup freshly shaved parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- fresh basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Add onions and saute until soft, about 5-6 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Stir in garlic and spinach and cook until spinach wilts. Fold in cooked, shredded chicken, turn off heat and mix in 1/4 cup of each cheese.
- Spray a nonstick baking dish with nonstick spray (I used a 9 x 6 baking dish). Lay two lasagna noodles on the bottom of the dish (it’s okay if they overlap), then layer some of the chicken mixture on top. Spoon some tomato sauce on next, then sprinkle on some of each cheese – add as much or as little sauce and cheese as you’d like. Add two mote lasagna noodles on top and repeat the entire process until you reach the top. I was able to get four layers, but it just depends on your baking dish size. Once you get to the top, add shredded cheese to finish it off.
- Set baking dish on a baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes, then serve with fresh basil for garnish.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day! There’s a little bit of green up there.