Dark Chocolate Blueberry Muffins.
Did you ever have a diary? I did.
I think I got the idea from the Babysitter’s Club books. You can tell I read many classic novels as a child.
Anyway, this diary of mine. I wrote in it a lot. I’d write in it every single day. And sometimes when I was done writing in my diary, I’d doodle big hearts on the inside cover with a boy’s name in them. David, Doug, Don, Dwight… clearly I liked boys whose names began with the letter D.
One diary was a hot pink and purple squishy plastic. Stereotype city. It had a lock and a key, which I just thought was cool. I stashed the book underneath my mattress and the key somewhere in my desk drawer, which I frequently lost, so my brothers couldn’t find it. It was chock full of top-secret news, like what I really thought about Judy Blume’s Forever.
I don’t have a diary anymore; instead I have this little page on the internet that most people over the age of 60 don’t “get” and an impulsion to take pictures of my food and talk to my computer screen about them.
I don’t tell you when it’s raining or what I wore to school yesterday.
I don’t tell you about the one girl who got caught passing a note about me and my thighs. Hint: it wasn’t nice.
I don’t tell you about how I’m scared to ask my mom if I can shave my legs.
I don’t tell you that my mom, who won’t let me shave, said I looked like Roseanna Barr when I got a perm at age 9.
I don’t tell you that there are days when Mr. How Sweet wishes I’d take a long walk off a short pier.
Well… I may tell you some of that stuff. I tend to overshare.
But I always, always tell you when I make some deliriously good muffins.
And today is one of those days.
Chocolate. Blueberries. Whole wheat. Brown sugar. Sounds like the epitome of health to me. Lots of health here. Lots of reasons to devour them. And feel good about it.
Eat up. And don’t forget the butter.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour, or all-purpose flour, do NOT use regular whole wheat
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with muffin liners.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder, brown sugar, cinnamon and mix until combined. Using a whisk, stir in the egg, vanilla, melted butter and milk. If the dough still appears too dry, add another tablespoon or 2 of milk. Fold in blueberries and chocolate.
- Using an ice cream scoop, spoon muffins into liners. Bake for 13-16 minutes, or until muffins are cooked through.
For the record, I never liked a boy named Dwight. Someone’s just watched too many episodes of The Office.