Grilled Blueberry BBQ Salmon.
I want to tell you all about this salmon, but I can barely think about grilling. Ever since arriving in Austin, all I want to do is take a long, hot bath in a tub of ice cream. Heavy on the ice please.
Um… it’s a little warm here.
But before I left Pittsburgh and walked into the personal 24- hour steam bath that is currently circling my body, I made potato salad. Then I made salmon. Then we ate it. Together.
I totally could have lived on that potato salad alone, but according to my other half, potatoes do not a dinner make. Why, why, why?
I heated some blueberries until they bubbled and burst, and made a quick homemade barbecue sauce with slightly less sugar than usual. Nearly ate it with a spoon. Slathered it on some buttery grilled salmon and called it a day. Ate until I could no longer breathe and enjoyed every moment.
Do this. It’s fantastic.
Grilled Blueberry BBQ Salmon
- 1 1/4 pounds salmon filet, whole or cut into portions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
for the sauce:
- 1/3 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, I used blueberry flavored
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- Heat a small saucepan over low heat and add blueberries. Heat until the begin to bubble and burst, about 10 minutes, then mash with a fork. Add in ketchup, both vinegars, brown sugar, onion and garlic powder, ground mustard and worcestershire sauce. Whisk well to combine and break up blueberries and turn the heat up to medium. Heat until mixture bubbles, stirring every few minutes, then turn heat back down to low. Cook for 20 minutes, whisking every few minutes. Sauce will be slightly clumpy and thicker than regular BBQ sauce.
- Preheat your grill to it’s highest setting. Season the salmon with salt and pepper, and once the grill is hot, lay filet directly on top. Cook for 5 minutes, then gently flip. Using a pastry brush, brush BBQ sauce on salmon and let cook until flaky and opaque, about 5-6 more minutes. This will also depend on the thickness of your salmon (mine was about 1 1/2 inches thick). Once salmon is finished, slather with remaining BBQ sauce and serve.
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
Off to survive the heat!
152 Comments on “Grilled Blueberry BBQ Salmon.”
Pingback: No-Rise Grilled Flatbreads + Weekly Menu | Prevention RD
Pingback: Ingredient Challenge Monday
Pingback: ICM – Blueberry Barbecue Chicken | ~Dixie Chik Cooks~ ICM – Blueberry Barbecue Chicken | A Southern Belle who thinks about what's for dinner while eating lunch.
Wow. Just wow. Pinning this now…
Finally tried this tonight after having having it bookmarked since you posted it and it was so good. I roasted the salmon in the oven as an empty propane tank makes it difficult to grill (oops), but will definitely be making it on the grill soon.
Pingback: Blueberry BBQ Salmon + Endometriosis “Diet” | Prevention RD
Pingback: 70 Recipes for the 4th of July | How Sweet It Is – recipes
Pingback: Blueberry Barbecued Chicken | accidental intentions
Pingback: 70 Recipes for the 4th of July | How Sweet It Is
Pingback: Grilled Blueberry BBQ Salmon « Spice Is Nice
Pingback: Overnight Oats Recipe | Overnight Blueberry Oats | Two Peas & Their Pod
Pingback: Friday Pin-Ups: Blueberry Hill | Crumb: A Food Blog
Found you on Pinterest…this fish looks absolutely delicious – love the idea of a blueberry bbq sauce, yum! :)
Just had this the other night and it was great. It wasn’t the first time we made it…we just love it so much! Oh and we also made the ginger sesame one last week and that became a new family favourite! Thanks for all your hard work and dedication.
Wow, this looks amazing! My family just got back from a huge blackberry-picking trip, and I would love to use this as inspiration for a blackberry bbq sauce. Can I request your permission to put the recipe on my blog if it works out (with credit to your site, of course!)?
What a delicious way to serve my favourite fish !! Will be adding this to my menu this week ! Thanks <3 Mary
I made this last night. Not being a big fish eater, especially fish without every biteful being about 99% tartar sauce and 1% fish, I think I just found a great way to eat salmon. I think the sauce would be good on ice cream….is that crazy?
Pingback: Recipe of the Week: Grilled Blueberry Salmon | Bikram Yoga Vancouver
Pingback: Grilled Blueberry BBQ Salmon | Peonies and Pomegranates
Pingback: Paleo Meal: Salmon with Blueberry BBQ Sauce, Steamed Broccoli, and Roasted Asparagus
This was delicious and an excellent way to put a dent in our blueberry surplus. The whole family loved it! Thank you!
Pingback: Paleo Meal: Salmon with Blueberry BBQ Sauce, Steamed Broccoli, and Roasted Asparagus | The Samsanator Cooks
Pingback: 20 Weeks of (different!) Healthier Dinner Ideas | How Sweet It Is
This was so good! I think this blueberry bbq sauce could go well on a few things, thanks for a great recipe!
Pingback: Text Book Salmon | Wicked Healthy Washingtonian
Knew it was ether going to be very good or very bad it exceeded my expectations it was extremely good by the way if you think it’s humid in Texas come to Mississippi
Wowwww!!! Very creative with the blueberry sauce! Can’t wait to try this :-)
Pingback: Friday Food Love | Wicked Healthy Washingtonian
I am going through a mental list of berries and fruits that would work with this. What a great Idea. I am having small get together and guess what we are having?