Grilled Corn Summer Breakfast Hash.
Can we make a deal?
If you come to my house and do some of the things I accidentally on purpose neglect… like wipe out the shelves in my fridge after spilling a half cup of cornstarch on them (it happens) and dust things like every single crevice in the house and throw away old magazines with the promise of losing 8 pounds in 3 days and maybe… maybe even clean the hair out from my shower drain (?)… I will totally love you forever.
And also make you breakfast. Because I know… that whole drain thing is skeevy.
Some days I’ll make you pancakes and others I may make you muffins. And on the occasion that we drank four too many mojitos during the best sleepover ever the night before, I may just serve you a piece of stale cake (I’m really bad at the whole saran wrap thing) and then go back to bed until dusk. I’m sure you’ll understand.
If I have time, which let’s face it: I always have time for food, I’ll even make you this whole slop pile mess of potatoes, bacon, zucchini and leftover grilled corn… cut off the cob from our dinner before the best sleepover ever. It’s reallllllly spectacular. Frying things in cast iron skillets makes them 34 times more delicious. Now you know. Life lesson #145.
The thing about breakfast is that… ding ding – it works for dinner too! So if your schedule doesn’t jive with mine? If you can’t make it over first thing in the early morn to scrub my bathroom floor with a toothbrush (yeah seriously)… you can come later and eat this for dinner. See? I always have my thinking cap on.
Especially when I grill corn for dinner. I’m always thinking. Always thinking enough to grill three or four extra ears because nothing is as scrumptious on your lunchtime salads, burritos, hashes and pizza than caramely kernels that take less than 30 seconds to heat. Mmmm mmm.
I promise this hash (not that hash) will make up for the cobwebs you’ll find in the corners and the mildew you’ll find on just about, well… everything.
It’s chock full of crispy potatoes and soft, sweet and juicy peppers and onions. Some zucchini is in there too because… it’s summer! Have you heard? And obviously the caramely kernels are the best part because who doesn’t like vegetables that taste like candy?
I’ll top it with an egg because you deserve it. Mimosa on the side too.
Grilled Corn Summer Breakfast Hash
- 4 slices of bacon, chopped
- 4 medium yukon gold potatoes, chopped into cubes
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini squash, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2-3 ears grilled corn on the cob, cut off the cob
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, you may not need this
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3-4 large eggs
- smoked sea salt + pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add chopped bacon and cook until crispy and fat is rendered – about 4-5 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel. Add potatoes with a sprinkle of salt and pepper to the bacon fat and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring and tossing every few minutes. While potatoes are cooking, heat another skillet on medium high and cook your eggs as desired, then set aside over low heat.
- Add peppers and onions (and another little sprinkle of salt and pepper) to potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring. At this time you may need to add the additional teaspoon of olive oil depending on how much bacon fat is left. After 5 minutes, add in the zucchini and garlic and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring. Turn off heat, then stir in grilled corn and bacon. Top with sliced green onions. Serve with an egg on top.
Now can we talk about my shoe closet? I’ll make you a breakfast dessert to tackle that one.