Toasted Coconut Brussels.
I think we’re all still pretty shocked that I actually enjoy brussels sprouts.
And! Let’s take a moment thank the heavens above that I do or else… nary a vegetable would cross my lips.
And in order to continue this… fondness… I have for the little green chunks o’ love, I gotta make sure they don’t overstay their welcome. Ever.
Because I can’t get sick of the one plant type thing I’ve got going on. !! Duh.
Now now… I realize I’m eliminating a majority of the population here with coconut AND brussels sprouts. I mean… most normal people ahbor tiny cabbages. A ton of other people think coconut should be eliminated from planet Earth. Frankly, I think they should be eliminated and leave me some alone time with my coconut. I’m possessive, needy and insecure.
For some of you (like ummmm, my husband), this is your ultimate worst nightmare. I could not combine anything more disgusting, right? Well… go sit over there in the corner and leave me be, because I’m hungry.
I pan-roasted the heck out of the brussels until caramely, added some coconut to toast, drizzled on some lite coconut milk and then ate them like there was no tomorrow. Delicious. We (and I really just mean I) served them with those maple-glazed pork chops and pesto mac and cheese… then fell into food comas for four days. My kinda sleep.
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, stems removed and quartered
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons lite coconut milk
- 2-3 tablespoons toasted, shredded coconut
- Add quartered brussels to a bowl and sprinkle with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Drizzle with coconut oil and toss to coat.
- Heat a skillet oven medium-high heat and once hot, add brussels. Cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until toasted and charred. Reduce heat to low and stir in coconut milk. Stir in 2 tablespoons toasted coconut, then transfer to a bowl to serve. Top with remaining toasted coconut.
I’ll totally make this up to you tomorrow.