Summertime Chopped Salad. (…with, uh… chips.)
Well lookie here… it’s one of my favorite things.
A salad without the vegetables. Can things BE any better?*
Yes. Yes they can. You can scoop your salad up with chips. Thin and crispy, authentic tortilla chips. Salty ones. Crunchy ones.
Or at least the remnants of salty and crunchy ones that sit in the bottom of the bag, ravaged and tired after someone’s hand spent the majority of it’s weekend deep down inside, just missing the crumbs.
This is the kind of salad you eat on a Monday. When you really want to continue eating things that you ate all weekend, like marshmallow fluff blizzards, bourbon floats, pork belly and giant breakfasts. It’s the kind of salad that you pretend will make you feel all lovely inside.
Actually. Wait. No. It’s the kind of salad that I pretend will make ME feel lovely inside. Your salad will probably have lots of green stuff and broccoli and celery and vegetables and stuff that normal people eat during the week. I wish I was you.
Instead, I’m me.
I have no idea what was up with me this weekend. To say I was a bottomless pit is a complete understatement. I could NOT get full. I felt like I was eating nonstop. There have been few moments in my life when I’ve felt the same and it seems to come on every few years or something. No matter how much I shoved down my throat, I wanted more. More more more! As I sat at the dining room table literally shoveling this salad into my mouth on tortilla chip boats, my husband was staring at me like what in the WORLD is going on. I managed to say through mouthfuls, “I just can’t get FULL. I don’t know what it is.” And then he said, “neither can I! I’m starving,” and proceeded to eat three cheeseburgers with a whole sweet potato.
Story of my life.
Summertime Grilled Corn, Chicken + Blueberry Chopped Salad with Honey Lime Vinaigrette
- 2 1/1 cups butter lettuce, chopped
- 2 ears grilled corn, cut off the cob
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 2/3 cup blueberries
- 2 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 grilled chicken breast, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- tortilla chips for serving
- n a large bowl, mix together lettuce, corn, chicken, avocado, blueberries, tomatoes, bacon and feta. Sprinkle with salt and pepper then toss thoroughly.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together lime juice, honey, olive oil and vinegar. Pour over salad, then toss once more. Serve with tortillas chips.
*I might have watched ten million episodes of Friends this weekend. No.Life.