Smoky Sweet Potato Burgers with Roasted Garlic Cream and Avocado.
Before we talk burgers, let me tell you what I’m doing.
I’m eating some blueberry yogurt pretzels (which are oh-so awesome… but would be even awesomer if they were really coated in yogurt and not white chocolate disguised as yogurt) and drinking a san pellgrino aranciata that is spiked with um… vodka, malibu and tequila. With those pretty perfectly square ice cubes.
I know. I just couldn’t decide! I just kept adding things to the soda until I got a taste that I liked. Mixologist I am not. Bad personal bartender I am.
But what is up with all of these flavors? Smoky sweet potato, roasted garlic and maple cream, avocado, then blueberry pretzels and this oddly concocted libation that I’m too embarrassed to name. Before you go claiming something craze balls like oh! you’re pregnant! (um no – vodkatequilarum what?) I think it’s just because my weekend was so.utterly.boring.
I mean, it was great, if you’re into that sort of thing that includes plastering yourself to the couch for so long that your body forms an identical indentation that’s semi-permanent, and ordering pizza Friday night which not only was dinner, but then also became lunch and then uh, dinner again on Saturday. Like the same pizza. Just microwaved. Not even warmed thoroughly in the oven. Oh no. I wasn’t even getting up long enough to preheat the oven and then throw the pizza in and blah blah blah. No way jose. I’d rather have my unequally microwaved-heated pizza (you know, so like the edge is so hot that you burn your mouth off, the bottom crust is now “gummy,” the middle is totally cold and the top crust is just hard as a rock?) on a paper plate and then re-faceplant into the cushions.
I wish I could be all “ohmygosh, it was so rainy and cozy all day Saturday and I just got so caught up in my book that I read then entire thing while sitting in my plush velour chair in my special corner of the room that I have all to myself”… but no. Nothing of the sort. I wore the same outfit and woke up at 9 and watched so much trash on TV that my brain nearly exploded. I didn’t even read the trillions of magazines I have to catch up on.
This would have been the perfect time to do those things that I “never have time for” such as fold a massive pile of laundry that is sitting smack dab in our living room floor (classy. want to come over?), reorganize our pantry, clean out the freezer, clean the bathrooms, scrub the floor, deconstruct the makings of my purse because it contains about six thousand small pieces of paper that I call “lists” along with random change, receipts and melted lip gloss, or reorganize every room in our house because we constantly complain about them. But no. We didn’t have time for that at all. We only had time for the couch.
Eh, but I did have time to make these burgers (I don’t even know HOW), and it was really only because I had planned on making my double bean burgers for meals this week and then realized I didn’t have double beans. No black beans to be found. But I did have a bunch of sweet potatoes so I mashed them all up and called them a burger. And topped them with some roasted garlic sauce and a dying avocado from the depths of my fridge. The key is to get the outsides really crispy and then just… well, eat them. It’s really quite simple.
Now don’t go getting all excited thinking that my husband ate these for dinner. Of course he didn’t. Well okay… he sort of did – he ate them as a side to some roasted chicken and dredged each forkful through a volcano of ketchup.
Welcome to my life.
Smoky Sweet Potato Burgers with Roasted Garlic Cream and Avocado
- 2 cups coarsely mashed sweet potatoes, or yams, about 2 large potatoes
- 2 bulbs of roasted garlic
- 1 cup cannellini benas, rinsed and drained if canned
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup oat flour, or all-purpose, wheat, etc
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2/3 cup plain greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup,
- extra salt and pepper for seasoning yogurt/cream
- 4 whole wheat buns
- To roast garlic, see this tutorial. I like to roast a few bulbs at once (like 4-5) to have for the week.
- Pierce potatoes (I used 2 large) all over with a fork and place on a paper towel, setting in the microwave. Microwave for 5 minutes, then flip and cook for 5 minutes more. Remove, slice in half and let cool until you can scoop out the flesh.
- In a large bowl, coarsely mash beans with a fork. Add in sweet potato and mash together, then add in spices, salt and pepper, minced garlic, egg, panko and flour. Mix together until combined, then place bowl in the fridge for 15-20 minutes. This helps form them into patties, but as a warning they are still somewhat messy.
- While mixture is chilling, combine yogurt/sour cream with 2 bulbs (squeezed out) of roasted garlic cloves, maple syrup and a sprinkle of salt and pepper in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth then set aside until ready to use.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Remove mixture from fridge and form into 4 equal patties, then place in the skillet once hot. Since the mixture can be wet and messy, do not move until they are fully cooked and golden on one side! This takes about 5-6 minutes. Then, add more oil if needed (this really helps cook them) and flip burgers very gently. Cook for another 5-6 minutes. Toast buns if desired.
- Assemble by topping burgers with roasted garlic cream and avocado! We also used caramelized red onion one night and it was delicious.