Balsamic Brussels Sprouts Grilled Cheese.
… guess not.
I also feel sort of cheaterish since exactly a week ago I talked about brussels sprouts, bread and cheese and now again I’m talking about… brussels sprouts, bread and cheese.
I think I need to get out more.
All repetition and lack of creative ingredients aside, when you put brussels sprouts in your grilled cheese that has to cancel out, like… all of the cheese and butter and stuff. This is essentially the healthiest grilled cheese in the world. Because I say so?
I tend to assume that most people (read: all) love brussels sprouts when they are shredded into tiny pieces and combined with salt and garlic and balsamic and then layered in between thick, melty cheese and toasted bread, because if I like them? With this ridiculous. childish palate? Then everyone has to like them. Right? Right. Honestly, I can’t imagine anyone not enjoying something that tastes this good.
Then again… I think we all know how dramatic I am. No comment.
I gotta say that the balsamic makes it for me. Okay, probably the cheese too, but whatever. If you’ve been reading you know what a vinegar freak I am. Gah. I love vinegar. I could drink it. [oh speaking of, you can still receive a discount on my faaaaavorite vinegars and oils ever with the code howsweet10!] You can make your own reduction or buy a bottled glaze, but the key is to just add that stuff right in between the layers. And then maybe use it as a dip. Or a toothpaste.
Okay, I’ll stop.
The good news is that I really have no idea what inventive ingredients I possibly have left to layer between bread and cheese.
The bad news is that I really have no idea what inventive ingredients I possibly have left to layer between bread and cheese.
That makes me scared.
- 1/2 pound brussels sprouts, stems removed and chopped or shredded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- balsamic glaze or reduction
- 12 ounces of havarti cheese, sliced
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- softened butter for spreading
- Heat a large skillet oven medium heat and add olive oil. Toss in shredded brussels sprouts and garlic with salt and pepper, tossing to coat. Cook until wilted and golden, stirring occasionally, about 5-6 minutes. Remove sprouts from the skillet and place them in a bowl.
- Heat the same skillet (or a separate griddle, etc) oven medium-low heat. Butter the outsides of every bread slice, then layer the sandwiches with slices of cheese, the brussel sprouts, a good drizzle of balsamic glaze and more cheese. Top off with a slice of bread, buttered-side up. Cook until each side is golden and crisp and cheese is melted, then gently flip and do the same.
Suppose I’ll just keep eating this one.