No-Bake Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Snack Bites.
Welcome to another installment of “why chocolate and peanut butter are the best combination on the planet.”
I mean, they are. Right?
If you don’t agree, well, I have no idea how we are in this weird invisible relationship. I’m sure we have something else in common like eating all of the cookie dough out of the cookie dough ice cream and returning it to the freezer for the next poor soul to discover. Or wondering how we can someday have a small child and still participate in (consecutive) ten hour Friday Night Lights marathons. Connie Britton… please be my best friend.
P.S. your hair is so pretty.
So. These are a complete knock off of my oatmeal peanut butter bites I made a few months ago. Oh my gawwwd. I love those things. I make a double batch some weeks. Sometimes I have them before workouts in the morning and occasionally as an afternoon snack. Originally they were mostly peanut butter with a hint of chocolate (in chip form) but then I thought… why aren’t they almost ALL chocolate? Like mostly chocolate with a touch of peanut butter?
Then… I did that.
And I added some of those chocolate covered sunflower seeds because they are addicting. And okay, I had to add them to something because I often inhale them by the handful which is just socially unacceptable for some reason. Why, I have no idea. True story: when I first had these candy coated morsels of goodness years ago, I’m 97% sure that I ate an entire container in one day. They are just so cute. And tiny. And chocolately. And healthy! They are a seed for goodness sakes. Plus, when they come in all these adorable bright colors and a beautiful array of pastels? Um, how can you expect me, a secret 17-year old, to pass that up?
I’m currently shoveling them in my mouth right now too. Just like a needy addict. Help.
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- a pinch cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons chocolate covered sunflower seeds
- ground peanuts or almonds mixed with a few pinches of cocoa powder, to roll the balls in
- Combine oats, almonds, flaxseed, cocoa, chia seeds, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl and stir.
- Melt peanut butter and allow it to cool slightly (I melted mine in the microwave for about 30 seconds, then stirred), then stir in honey and vanilla extract until it’s combined. Once peanut butter has cooled a bit, pour it over the oat mixture and mix well with a spoon then bring together with your hands. Once mixture is sticking together, fold in chocolate chips and sunflower seeds.
- Roll dough into golf-ball sized (or slightly smaller) balls, then roll in ground peanuts or ground almonds tossed with cocoa powder. These can be eaten at room temp but we really like them stored in the fridge!
Just try to stay away. Really.