Peppermint Pattie Cookies.
Needed: an intervention.
Reason: cannot stop shoving cookies in face.
Random lesson learned here: never hire me to drizzle. Anything. I’m not a professional drizzler.
Seriously. I cannot stop eating these cookies. I have been participating in a torrid love affair with all things homemade peppermint pattie since making these brownies two months ago. They are my favorite brownies ever, at least until my next favorite brownies come along. I dream about those brownies.
BUT. Since I have this problem of rarely being able to make the same thing twice (I mean, how boring), the cookies were a happy compromise and as it turns out, they are even more dangerous. The cookies aren’t quite as messy and are more… portable, if you will. If you wake up and want to lay on the couch for a few hours, you can grab a few and eat them without many crumbs or clean up. They also work wonders before bed. Again, so easy to just… EAT.
I wish I could say these are some sort of fancy peppermint pattie cookie, but they are really just a delicious chewy chocolate cookie stuffed with dark chocolate chunks, covered in the most perfect homemade peppermint cream and drizzled with ganache. It might even taste better than a real peppermint pattie. Which I love, by the way. I hoard those things. They are what I eat when I want to feel healthy but crave something sweet. I mean, dark chocolate? Antioxidants. Peppermint? I dunno… good stuff there I’m sure. All I’m saying is that they are basically a slightly higher caloric breath mint.
Cookie breath mints. Let’s make this a thing.
Peppermint Pattie Cookies
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 sticks, 12 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup loosely brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
peppermint pattie cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3.5 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 2.5 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix the cooled butter and sugars until they are combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and stir until mixed. Gradually add in dry ingredients and mix until a dough forms – it will look crumbly at first, but it will come together. I even used my hands to help at one point. Fold in chocolate chunks.
- Roll dough into 1-1 1/2-inch balls and place on a nonstick baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the middles are just set. Don’t over bake! Let cool completely.
peppermint pattie cream
- While cookies are cooling, add powdered sugar, butter, milk, vegetable oil, vanilla and peppermint extracts to the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat until smooth and creamy. Use a spatula and spread the peppermint cream over the top of each cookie evenly.