Zucchini Summer Skillet with Poached Eggs + Garlic Brown Butter Baguettes
It’s getting pretty summery up in here.
So. I’ve surprised myself.
Never did I ever think I could eat zucchini like this – as in, not breaded or fried – and in such a fairly simple state too.
I guess the bacon helps? Shhhhh.
I also figured I could share something lighter with you today since I ate all of my emotions in the form of chocolate peanut butter pie yesterday. Or at least read about eating my emotions all over again. I really ate the pie a few weeks ago. Which kind of ticked off every member of my family who read my blog and threw incoming text messages at me yesterday like all “hey, I’m coming over to get some of that pie.” Um no. Sorry. You’re not. I ate it with Maria Menounos and her abs.
This meal solidifies my beliefs that adding an egg to all things makes them better. Sandwiches, burgers, pizza, even pasta. I’m a true believer. And don’t you always have just the craziest abundance of zucchini every year? I personally don’t since I can’t grow an herb or a vegetable to save my little soul, but I’m often gifted a few fresh ones since everyone else seems to be overwhelmed with green squash. I think it’s even worse this year since it’s rained over here for what seems like my entire existence, but is really probably only the last 30 days.
Which still… seems like my entire existence.
Seriously. I’m ready for Noah and his ark to pull up to my front door any minute now.
The real reason I’m all about this dish is because it’s so… dinnery. You know? I mean I’m all about breakfast for breakfast but I really freak out over breakfast for dinner. It’s the ultimate comfort food. Oh oh oh and since I can’t really do something like this without any form of toast or carb, I had to add some ciabatta crostini on the side rubbed down with garlic brown butter. YES.
If that doesn’t tempt you, I don’t know what will. Veggies just deserve that kind of thing.
Zucchini Summer Skillet with Poached Eggs + Garlic Butter Baguettes
- 1 small baguette, cut into slices
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 zucchini, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- 2 to 4 eggs, cooked to your liking
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place the baguette slices on a baking sheet. Bake until slightly golden, about 6 to 8 minutes, then remove from the oven. While the toast is baking, heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk constantly as it bubbles until brown bits appear on the bottom, anywhere from 5 to 8 minutes. The minute the brown bits appear, turn off the heat and remove the skillet. Continue to whisk for 30 seconds then stir in the garlic.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the bacon. Cook until crispy and fat is rendered, then add in the shallot, garlic, zucchini, salt, pepper and paprika. Stir to coat the ingredients in the bacon fat and cook until the vegetables soften and become slightly golden, about 5 to 6 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add in half of the goat cheese and stir. Turn off heat.
- While the zucchini is cooking, cook your eggs as desired. I poached mine using this method from smitten kitchen. It never fails me. Drizzle the garlic brown butter over the baguette slices and serve the zucchini and egg with extra goat cheese and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
And yes of course I wanted to add corn to this but then I realized… that I already did that.
70 Comments on “Zucchini Summer Skillet with Poached Eggs + Garlic Brown Butter Baguettes”
Precisely what is all the main difference amongst Personal computer Executive and Personal computer Knowledge?
Pingback: 75 must-try zucchini recipes | kojodesigns
Pingback: Twin Stripe Blog » Farmstand: Zucchini
Pingback: Food & Nonsense
Oh my goodness I finally made this tonight for dinner and added in 2 ears of corn and used herbed goat cheese and there was NONE left! Thanks for another great recipe!
Headline – “Man conquers Zucchini”
A pound of bacon (we searched mightily for smoked pork jowl to no avail, but failed to locate “hog face!”), deeply caramelized onions, half a head of garlic, a cup of red Vermouth, a pair of lemons and cooked in the correct order and folded together prior to serving made them very palatable indeed.
The bacon is cooked nearly crisp, drained and set aside.
The red onion is cut into 1/2″ flags and cooked in reserved bacon fat and minced garlic until brown; set aside and leave grease in pan once again.
Cut up 4 baby zucchini into desired shapes and pour vermouth and strained lemon juice over. Add sea salt to taste, remembering bacon saltiness so go light. Sauté until all liquid is within zucchini or evaporated, and they start to “talk in sizzle language”. Zucchini should be translucent and come off as pickles during sampling.
Fold all set aside ingredients and serve with Treagered meats as bread. Thinly sliced flat iron worked wonders…
No egg? Egg makes you happy? Add the friggin egg. :D
Pingback: 35 Delicious Ways To Use Zucchini | Save The Rusticos Healthy Choices
Pingback: Roasted Garlic Chicken and Veggie Primavera - Lexi's Clean Kitchen
Pingback: 35 Delicious Ways To Use Zucchini | Sinister News Network
Great article, very informative. Clean 9 Cleanse
cant wait to try
Pingback: 35 Delicious Ways To Use Zucchini | Sing Viral
Pingback: Weekend Wishlist
Pingback: Weekend Wishlist | Temporary
Pingback: 35 Delicious Ways To Use Zucchini | Viral Camera
Pingback: 35 Delicious Ways To Use Zucchini | My Blog