Please come over so I can feed you a cocktail right now.

ginger beergaritas I

Think: the most gigantic basket of homemade rustic tortilla chip and salty guacamole and mango salsa and margaritas in frosty glasses.

I KNOW. I can’t deal either.

Since it’s almost cinco de mayo but also almost the weekend, you need to make all the recipes. Celebrate tonight, tomorrow and then again on Monday. Start with these crockpot short rib tacos (my personal FAVE), move on to the pulled pork sweet chili tacos and finish with the beer battered fish tacos. Wash it all down with these coconut creamsicle margs – and oh hey, that post just happens to have like fifty of my other favorite tex-mex recipes inside. You should totally check it.

And don’t forget about the chipotle lime shrimp tacos I shared earlier this week from my cookbook, Seriously Delish! Really couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve eaten those in the last 18 months.

ginger beergaritas I

It’s rare that I post two cocktails in a week – heck, it’s rare that I post two in a month – but with two favorite conflicting holidays happening within days of each other… holidays that just so happen to practically revolve around their signature adult beverage… it was necessary.

I mean, don’t these look so necessary?

They are so necessary.

ginger beergaritas I

I almost made regular old beergaritas – you know the ones with frozen limeade and cold, light beer? Even though I’m a fairly big marg snob, those I can occasionally get behind.

But then, I was like oh no. It HAS to be ginger beer. I’m a nutjob over all things ginger right now, especially ginger beer. It started back when I made these cranberry ginger margaritas around the holidays and now I want ginger syrup in everything. On everything. Plain, off a spoon. I can’t get enough.

ginger beergaritas I

So I based these off of my favorite margarita recipe and ended up keeping a tiny bit of grand marnier in the drink too. I thought for sure it would be a goner but I really loved these with just a hint of orange. The ginger keeps the cocktails so fresh – almost with a bit of a kick.

See? You must come over.

ginger beergaritas I

Ginger Beergaritas

Total Time: 15 minutes

for a single
4 ounces ginger beer
2 ounces lime juice
1 1/2 ounces tequila (I prefer gold with the ginger beer)
1/2 ounce grand marnier liqueur (you can sub triple sec, I much prefer GM)
1/2 ounce ginger simple syrup
fresh limes for garnish
coarse salt for the rim

for a pitcher, serves about 4
2 cups ginger beer
1 cup lime juice
1/3 cup tequila
1/4 cup grand marnier
1/4 cup ginger simple syrp

ginger syrup
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger

The key to make these super delicious is to use frosty glasses! So a few hours (or the night) before, stick your glasses in the freezer. I suggest making a single serving first and taste it so you can add more/less tequila or syrup to your liking. Everyone is different and prefers their drinks a different way, so feel free to add more or less tequila, more simple syrup, more lime juice, etc. This is my absolute favorite combo!

Before serving, rim the edge of the glass with a lime slice and then dip it in coarse salt to coat. Fill the glass with just a few ice cubes. Add the ginger beer, lime juice, tequila, grand marnier and simple syrup to a shaker with ice and gently shake to combine. Pour over ice and squeeze in a few extra lime wedges.

ginger syrup
To make the ginger syrup, add the water, sugar and ginger to a small saucepan and heat over medium heat. Whisk constantly until the sugar dissolves and the mixture begins to bubble. Let it simmer for a minute or two then remove it from the heat and allow it to cool completely. You can store this sealed in the fridge for a few days. Just make sure not to pour the ginger into your glass!

ginger beergaritas I

clink clink.

59 Responses to “Ginger Beergaritas.”

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — May 2, 2014 @ 7:26 am

You and me are on the same page with the ginger obsession – I LOVE the stuff! It’s been in everything I eat these days, including hummus, smoothies, stir fry…. gah it’s so good! And these cocktails look amazing too. Perfect way to spend a Friday if you ask me! :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 2, 2014 @ 7:36 am

This looks awesome and yes, I would love to come over for a cocktail. Yes, please, and thank you. And a refill please :)

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — May 2, 2014 @ 7:57 am

I’ll be right over!!! (Wahhh, I wish that was true).

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — May 2, 2014 @ 7:59 am

You cocktails are hands down my favorite. These look frigging killer!

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — May 2, 2014 @ 7:59 am

Um, I have never had a beergarita, HOW HAS THIS HAPPENED? I am totally into these…especially since it’s Friday which makes having 10 acceptable. Pinned!

Molly @ Yes to Yolks — May 2, 2014 @ 8:14 am

These sound amazing. i love a good beergarita, but the ginger beer twist sounds incredible. I’m into it. Have you tried out the ginger liqueur Domaine de Canton yet? It’s SO good in cocktails. I make a holiday sangria with it. To die for!

Kellie — May 2, 2014 @ 8:17 am

This sounds fabulous! So you keep the piece of ginger whole while making the simple syrup (as opposed to shredded/chopped)?

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner — May 2, 2014 @ 8:37 am

Mmmm–I’ve been going crazy for Moscow Mules lately, and I never even thought to put ginger beer in margaritas.

Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps — May 2, 2014 @ 8:43 am

Mmmmmm these look seriously refreshing!

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan — May 2, 2014 @ 8:51 am

I’ll take allll of these for Cinco de Drinko, yessss!

Ashley — May 2, 2014 @ 9:08 am

This is like my dream drink! It’s like a moscow mule meets margarita!!! Ahhhhh

Emily @ Zen & Spice — May 2, 2014 @ 9:53 am

Haha this is making me crave a drink at 9am!!

molly yeh — May 2, 2014 @ 9:58 am

this is insaneo. i need six of these.

Alicia Greenrabbit — May 2, 2014 @ 12:04 pm

Do I need to bring anything? I can bring extra chairs, it sounds like a big crowd! Ha,ha,ha!

Ashley Nathalie — May 2, 2014 @ 12:19 pm

This looks delish! Question, do you use Ginger beer the soft drink or actual alcoholic ginger beer like Crabbies?

Terri A. — May 2, 2014 @ 12:25 pm

You are my hero of the weekend.

Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit — May 2, 2014 @ 12:34 pm

I’m not a big margarita person, but this seems like it’d be a great combo and I would totally love it! Talk about perfect for Summer!

Konstantina T. — May 2, 2014 @ 12:47 pm

Looove it

Elizabeth — May 2, 2014 @ 1:30 pm

I don’t need Cinco de Mayo as an excuse to drink this! LOVE.

Molly @ Doughvelopment — May 2, 2014 @ 1:40 pm

Your Cinco de Mayo eats sounds out of this world, and I am totally bummed I can’t join, hehe, because I am going to be thinking about rustic tortilla chips, margs and salty guac for days now….
    Gorgeous pictures as usual!

Sammi @Sammi Sunshine — May 2, 2014 @ 3:39 pm

Ginger is one of my absolute favorite flavors in a cocktail. I am dying of love over here! This looks like my kind of beergarita.

Sammi Sunshine
    A Food Blog

Michelle — May 2, 2014 @ 3:48 pm

They look heavenly! I love ginger beer. I cannot wait to try these!

Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats — May 2, 2014 @ 3:57 pm

These look fabulous! I just sent the ingredient list to my boyfriend with the subject line “PLEASE BUY ANY OF THIS THAT WE DON’T ALREADY HAVE ON YOUR WAY HOME FROM WORK!!!!”

Think he’ll do it??

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs — May 2, 2014 @ 4:13 pm

These look amazing! Save me one — I’m on my way ;)

Happy Friday!

Ashley — May 2, 2014 @ 4:40 pm

Heading to the liquor store with this list in my hand. Chris is going to be one happy guy when he gets home from work!

Carol at Wild Goose Tea — May 2, 2014 @ 8:52 pm

What a totally refreshing margarita. I was pretty skeptical when I read the title. But after reading the recipe, I am convert. Plus bless you for giving a pitcher full recipe. I normally make margaritas for the friends.

ATasteOfMadness — May 2, 2014 @ 10:04 pm

I am so coming over. I want this right now!

ami@naivecookcooks — May 2, 2014 @ 10:38 pm

these look so good and I love love good ginger syrup! Ask time fav! Thanks for sharing!

Michelle — May 3, 2014 @ 3:07 am

These photos. In love. (+ the drink the looks pretty damn great too.)

Lindsay-Jean — May 3, 2014 @ 3:56 pm

I really really want to be fed a cocktail. Long run + bathroom demo = it has to be 5 o’clock somewhere, right?

Kelsey M — May 4, 2014 @ 11:04 am

Thank you for always posting the most amazing cocktail recipes! <3

Emily @ Relishments — May 4, 2014 @ 6:15 pm

I just made these today as part of my pre-Cinco de Mayo dinner. They are awesome! Thank for you encouraging me to step out of my cocktail “box”…I’d never ever bought Grand Marnier before, but it was definitely the right choice. We will be making these again, and soon!

Emily @ Life on Food — May 4, 2014 @ 7:35 pm

These look so much fun! I wish I had gotten to this post on Friday and not on Sunday. I guess there is always next weekend.

Cate @ Chez CateyLou — May 5, 2014 @ 8:16 am

Can I have a pitcher of these after work today? They look so good!!! What a great idea to use ginger beer!

Margaret Adofo — May 5, 2014 @ 10:58 pm

Perfect recipe just in time for Cinco de Mayo!! :)

Hope you get a chance to check out my blog.

Maggie A

Caroline {TheBarbeeHousewife} — May 6, 2014 @ 1:35 pm

These look delicious!

Carla — May 6, 2014 @ 10:58 pm

yes, yes, and yes! I’m making this and I am so happy that you shared the recipe with us. The pics are awesome and I’m sure the beergaritas are just as great! woo!

Carla @ Love Cartista

Larry — May 7, 2014 @ 6:07 pm

I NEED ONE OF THESE! It’s my first day back to work, and oneortwo of these would help the day. freals.

Jen Lee — May 8, 2014 @ 8:22 pm

Love your photos! Perfect drink for the upcoming summer after a long winter and long day of work!

DessertForTwo — May 12, 2014 @ 10:26 pm

K Graese — October 30, 2014 @ 6:53 pm

i love these, but I found a mistake in the amount of tequilla for 4 servings! I believe it should read 6 oz or ¾ cup! I do have to figure it out every time I make them!

Jackie — March 8, 2015 @ 1:41 pm

you had me at ginger beer…cause I love the stuff…..

1. Pingback: Sunny Soirees

2. Pingback: » Some Menu Plans Are Easier Than Others

3. Pingback: Springtime Vegetable Skillet Baked Ziti | Flying on Jess Fuel

4. Pingback: Thursday Things

5. Pingback: Easy Brunch Recipes — Eat Well 101

6. Pingback: Stuff ‘n’ Things: Volume 16

7. Pingback: Foodie Friday {5} | GlamGirlGlow

8. Pingback: Visits Facilitate Adventures | The Taker of Seeds: A Blog of Vacillations

9. Pingback: observant nomad | summer parties / yard games

10. Pingback: July 4th Recipes 2014 | Apples to Ziti

11. Pingback: 4th of July Recipes For Your Party | The Hudsucker

12. Pingback: 5 Refreshing drinks to beat the summer heat…or just party – 30s Magazine

13. Pingback: Summertime | The Taker of Seeds: A Blog of Vacillations