Arugula Kale Reggiano Salad.
What makes a salad eight hundred percent better?
Say it with me. CHEEEEEESE.
I figured this was the perfect recovery meal from the red, white and bluest weekend. You don’t detox with cheese? It’s a thing, I swear.
Made up by me.
We are in the thick of summer! Ooh ooh ooh I am loving it. I want to eat salads! Who would’ve thunk?!
That is, I want to eat salads with all sorts of non-salady toppings. I can do the greens part, but then I would like a sprinkling of bacon, toasted almonds, onion strings, four cheeses, hard or soft boiled eggs (I don’t discriminate), tart dried cherries, grilled peach slices, hot bacon dressing and a drizzle of homemade buffalo ranch.
A few weeks ago we had lunch at the Shoreby Club in Cleveland before my brother’s wedding. I opted for a strawberry, shrimp and goat cheese salad (omg) but the kale reggiano salad was another popular choice. It didn’t jump out at me because I was all “ew kale” – sort of have to be in the mood for that one – however, I didn’t realize that it was BABY kale! So much easier on the tastebuds and teeth. Baby kale I can totally do. All the time.
Right?! Can’t you totally do baby kale?!
If you know someone who isn’t the biggest fan of kale, this is the salad for them. Not just because of the babiest of kales… but because of the cheese. So much freaking cheese.
Who doesn’t want a little salad with their cheese?
So. We’ve already established that there is lots of baby kale. Lots of cheese. Some arugula, given the title. As well as toasty pine nuts and a champagne vinaigrette. And at the very last minute, I threw on a sliced avocado and some fresh picked raspberries from my in-laws.
You definitely don’t NEED the avocado and berries. The salad along, just the greens, cheese and pine nuts makes for a perfect summer salad. It’s super light but filling and works before almost any dinner since it doesn’t have many offensive flavors. Do I always say this? I think I always say this. But it’s true!
But if you want a fuller salad, go for the fruit! Or add in whatever kind of fruit you would like. It adds a leeeeeettle sweetness to the peppery arugula.
If I can do it, you can do it. Trusssst me.
Plus, since it’s Monday, there is sooooo much room left for a margarita. Don’t you love that?
Arugula Kale Reggiano Salad
- 6 cups baby arugula
- 6 cups baby kale
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces parmigiano-reggiano cheese, freshly finely grated (plus extra for topping)
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 2/3 cup fresh raspberries or blackberries
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, freshly grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- [To toast the pine nuts, place them in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Shake the pan back and forth and toss with a wooden spoon for 4 to 5 minutes, until the nuts turn golden and fragrant. Remove from heat immediately and toss a few more times.]
- Place the greens in a large bowl and toss with the salt and white pepper. Add 2 tablespoons of the champagne vinaigrette to the greens and toss well until the all of the greens are coated – this will help the finely grated cheese stick. Add the cheese on the greens and toss well – toss over and over until the cheese is all incorporated. Toss in the oregano leaves. Serve the greens in heaping piles on plates and cover with a few spoonfuls of pine nuts. Add the dressing and toss gently on the plate. Top with avocado and raspberries and extra cheese. Season additionally if desired. Eat!
- Combine vinegar, honey, lemon juice, dijon, garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper in a large bowl and whisk together. Stream in the olive oil while constantly whisking until the dressing comes together. Store in the fridge for up to one week.
And room for ice cream. Totally.